The Greatest Toy Line Ever Made: G.I.JOE!!!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I missed the boat on GI Joe. I was in Kuwait in 1982. By the time I move to Ohio in 1984, all my money and gift wish list space was going to RPGs and books, not action figures.

I did have the C64 game though, and that was a fun two-player game aside from the painful load times.

Everything on the C64 had painful load times. The disk drives were notorious for how slow they were.

I have no idea what either of those things are
Not sure if you're serious that you've never seen these, but you're in luck.

Buck Rogers, featuring the star fighter. Cheesy AF but fun. Also much fanservice in the wardrobe: https://archive.org/details/BuckRogers_201504

Also features a cameo by Buster Crabbe jr, who played Buck Rogers in the pre-war movie serials. Fun fact: Buster Crabbe also plays one of the police robots in THX-1138.

Blake's 7: '70s Beeb special effects but scripts by Terry Nation and four really standout characters: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=vid&q=blakes+7+series+1

Season 2-4 also feature Orac - the prop was made from a perspex fish tank and a set of christmas tree lights but nonetheless one of the best AI characters ever done in sci-fi.

Last edited:
Anyone here rewatched Six MIllion Dollar Man and Bionic Woman? How do they hold up?
The title sequence is still one of the all-time greats. The rest of it ... not so much.

The ReAction figure of that is probably already being planned out.

So, interesting little-known fact...

The Cobra Trainer character "Big Boa" was originally meant to be a Rocky Balboa GI Joe ala The Fridge, SGT Slaughter, etc, but the rights situation didn't work out

000.jpg

But in South America, the character was redone as an Australian character for some reason, and came packaged with a Kangaroo

000000.jpg

The Joe version of Sgt. Slaughter (File Name: Classified) was actually cooler than the real-life Slaughter. He only appeared in the comics in two or three issues. The last time I remember seeing him was in #51. I don’t think Hama was very interested in the character.

But in South America, the character was redone as an Australian character for some reason, and came packaged with a Kangaroo
Probably a play on boxing kangaroos.
p04lwmtz.jpg

41J0mQ9kGdL._AC_.jpg

Rocky Balboa did appear in Order of Battle, which was the G.I.Joe handbook series. They later had to retract his appearance.

BF75C59E-6B7C-4BD7-978B-0A3B17514F98.jpeg
4E4A065D-2637-4ABA-B757-6DA4F75FA62C.jpeg

Last edited:
New six inch figures are going to be released this month. They are starting out with a few at a time. They also are announcing a retro 3.75 inch line like the 80s toys. This is the Cobra Commander from the six inch line. Looks pretty bad ass.

BC17D1EE-D6B7-415E-B10A-B287A32205EB.jpeg

I can't believe I never saw this thread before. GI Joe was a big influence on young me, from joining the Marines to my interest in dangerous and vampy Eastern European women. I am not a "collector guy" but would love to own a couple of the new figs for my home office.

Also are there any good GI Joe video games?

Did anyone mention the G.I. Joe episode of The Toys that Made Us on Netflix? It has some great info on the comic including that Larry Hama ended up writing it because he was the lowest on the totem pole and literally no one else would do it.

Last edited:
New six inch figures are going to be released this month. They are starting out with a few at a time.

6", eh? That means people will finally be able to cross G.I. Joe over with Masters of the Universe (either vintage or the upcoming Origins line). :smile:

The circa 3.75" G.I. Joe dolls (and knockoff versions thereof) go great with the Marvel Universe doll line on the same scale. My kids use them as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents sometimes as well as just regular military.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
"The Champions! Thank goodness! There's nothing in our arsenal that can handle...Godzilla!"
8e140ba89c647297f91d2e8e81d1ca58.jpg

I used GI Joes with our classic Kenner Star Wars stuff along with Fisher Price' Adventure People and three or four faux-Masters of the Universe figures I have no idea what exactly they were.

All the uniformed Cobra guys were part of the Empire. The rest were either bounty hunters or independent scoundrels.

I had one of the big G.I. Joes as a kid... the black guy (my Big Jim figure was also black... I guess I thought the black guys looked cooler). At some point I cut his face most of the way off, so it would swing up. His head was hollow, so he could use it to smuggle secret documents and diamonds.

I had an "Action Jackson" doll that was 12", the size of the big GI Joes and Mego Spidey.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back