The Greatest Toy Line Ever Made: G.I.JOE!!!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I stuck with GI Joe through Ninja Force and even the Eco-Warriors and DEA stuff (I swear, Larry Hama could write straw into gold). But I caught one episode of GI JOE EXTREME and was like, "You know what? We had a good run from me being 6 through 17. I don't HAVE to love EVERYTHING GI Joe."

Elements of Extreme could have worked but calling it Extreme will not work. The figures stunk and the cartoon wasn’t good.

I had like, half the choose your own adventure books for GI Joe

it always bugged me that most of the books had you playing as some new joe they had created just for that story

Groo deserved better
I’m kind of surprised some of those numbers look so low but then again those would probably be phenomenal today. I’m not even sure they do subscriptions any longer.

I’m kind of surprised some of those numbers look so low but then again those would probably be phenomenal today. I’m not even sure they do subscriptions any longer.

I thought so too, but those are just subscriptions, and not newsstand sales.

They do subscriptions these days, but they don't advertise it the way they used to. It's in the legal fine print at the beginning of the book. Or at least, it was the last I looked.

I thought so too, but those are just subscriptions, and not newsstand sales.

They do subscriptions these days, but they don't advertise it the way they used to. It's in the legal fine print at the beginning of the book. Or at least, it was the last I looked.
Oh yeah, I was listening to the podcast above and Jim said that when G.I.Joe came out it did several hundred thousand copies on the newsstand and direct market. He said that issue #1 was the first Marvel direct market book that retailers could send back if they had copies left (which was a rare thing for them to do) but they kept reordering.

yeah, even as Hawkeye points out those are sub vs newstand or comicshop sales, but it's surprising - but kinda not, GI Joe was, during the 80s, one of the consistently well-written comics. And I'll note I never even entered a comic shop until like 87-88, so I think for a lot of our generation subscribing was a more common activity. These days most comic fans I know just have a pullbox at a shop. Subs are anachronistic at this point, like holdouts from the golden age of print magazines. So taking that into account , GI Joe was on top by a wide margin in that demographic. I really wouldve thought Xmen and Spidey would top the list, and thought GI Joe sales would be on par with like Star comics.

That commercial certainly worked on me as a kid. Destro and Mindbender personally raiding tombs and robbing graves? Yes, please!

I've never had a comic book mail subscription in my life, yet I managed to get Transformers every month and GI Joe most months. In retrospect, as much as I loved getting Nintendo Power in the mail every month, subscriptions would have been great birthday or Christmas gifts to have asked for and would have avoided those missed issues...

“Will Cobra Island be COBRA’s last stand? Find out in Marvel Comics!”

My latest eBay find is a 1987 Cobra Commander in battle armor. I had this as a kid too. I always liked this figure and I used to pair him up against Serpentor when I had the Cobra infighting battles. Specific to this figure, it is complete and features an air hose on the helmet which is easily lost. So I lucked out there. Great condition for 35 years old.

D7B805E0-D8B2-48A8-B18D-D94CB7A79BFF.jpeg

My latest eBay find is a 1987 Cobra Commander in battle armor. I had this as a kid too. I always liked this figure and I used to pair him up against Serpentor when I had the Cobra infighting battles. Specific to this figure, it is complete and features an air hose on the helmet which is easily lost. So I lucked out there. Great condition for 35 years old.

View attachment 61730
IMO that was CC's best look

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back