The Greatest Toy Line Ever Made: G.I.JOE!!!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I found Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow at Walmart the other night. I couldn’t resist!

They are releasing the classic Gi Joe figures? I am astonished I have not heard about this. Look at all the bling they packed in with Snake Eyes! He is one of the figs I always wanted but could never find as a kid.

They are releasing the classic Gi Joe figures? I am astonished I have not heard about this. Look at all the bling they packed in with Snake Eyes! He is one of the figs I always wanted but could never find as a kid.

These are part of the “retro” line. They are recreations of classic characters that don’t use the same molds. The biggest different is the added articulation and they are about a 1/4” taller than the old line.

These are part of the “retro” line. They are recreations of classic characters that don’t use the same molds. The biggest different is the added articulation and they are about a 1/4” taller than the old line.
WANT!

There are a couple of things I don’t like about the figures and it comes down to the packaging. There’s no “A Real American Hero!” tagline and the filecards on the back are very short because they are in five languages. I think they want to make these more internationally friendly but since this is a retro line, they should stay close to the original packaging.

GI-Joe-Memes-11.jpg

Do they have the same elastic attaching the torso to the pelvis? That, along with the articulation is what makes GI Joe the best action figures ever made IMO.

Do they have the same elastic attaching the torso to the pelvis? That, along with the articulation is what makes GI Joe the best action figures ever made IMO.

No, the elastic is gone. It’s more of a ball joint now.

That elastic ring helped make G.I. Joes do all the Street Fighter and WWF moves! And they always won Twister vs the other action figures.

2F69BADD-4988-4D49-AB35-073D00C78BB2.jpeg

I wish you could take their masks off.

After the Star Wars offerings dried up after RotJ, my childhood toy focus turned to G.I. Joe. Loved the figures and vehicles, read a few of the comics, had mixed feelings about the show -- I liked seeing the characters on-screen, but didn't care for a lot of the dumb plots and some of the choices made (no Snake Eyes, everyone uses the same generic laser guns, no one gets killed, etc.)

My 7yo son and I recently stumbled across the G.I. Joe: Renegades cartoon. We enjoyed the show, and now he's more interested in the few old figures I had previously given him and getting some new ones of his own. I recently read volume 1 of the complete comics' collection and have ordered volume 2 via interlibrary loan. So good!

My son got the 6" Snake Eyes from the G.I. Joe: Classified toy line. The figure is pretty cool to look at, but doesn't seem as rugged and sturdy as the old 3 3/4" versions. The added points of articulation are cool if you're just posing the figure for display, but when it comes to play, give me swivel-arm battle grip and legs with wider range of motion!

Ha! Croc Master was one of my favourites!
I used to own that action figure. I always wondered why he was wearing that respirator. Was that ever explained somewhere?

Love the articulated crocodile. And is that a baby croc?

I used to own that action figure. I always wondered why he was wearing that respirator. Was that ever explained somewhere?

I think it was just that he literally hung out in the swamp, going around underwater with his crocs

But he doesn't have an air tank attached so....no, no idea. Rule of Cool I suppose

I found a new Kickstarter for retro 80s action figures that are just like G.I.Joe. They are called Callsign: Longbow. They look pretty sweet. I might jump on this one.

Is anyone familiar with international GI Joe stuff? I got what looked like the COBRA artillery piece for my birthday one year, except both the gun and gunner were bright red.

Is anyone familiar with international GI Joe stuff? I got what looked like the COBRA artillery piece for my birthday one year, except both the gun and gunner were bright red.
That's probably the Red Shadows. They were the precursor to Cobra in the UK.

In the UK we started with non-articulated figures called Action Force against the Red Shadows. They were bought out by whoever made Joes, and slowly the articulated figures were imported/made here although they were stilled called AF.

Eventually the Shadows were replaced by Cobra in a major plot twist in the comics. Eventually we also went to the Joes name, although all the characters retained their international flavour.

I'll shill it again, but Blood for the Baron is the ultimate resource for UK info.

Yup, the top one is the one. A present from some very well-informed British relatives.

Apropos of nothing in particular, the first 50 GI Joe cartoon episodes are on Youtube, starting with the two mini-series.
They're broken up into batches, but the whole series (less the Movie) is up on Hasbro's channel now.

I found a new Kickstarter for retro 80s action figures that are just like G.I.Joe. They are called Callsign: Longbow. They look pretty sweet. I might jump on this one.

I hate being poor. THIS IS AWESOME! I WANT THEM ALL!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back