The last Moderation Discussion thread for 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I tell you, I did not think that correcting what someone had wrote and acknowledging that it could be construed in a negative fashion would get me a threadban out of the gate. A warning maybe. I even got a note from Liam saying he thought it was out of hand. I chuckled at that!

Wait thinking reason plays any part at TBP?

1670954916451.png

ffilz ffilz sorry to hear about your family’s struggles and thank you for sharing. I do feel it’s appropriate that we allow discussions like these to take place here. I know some people can become uncomfortable discussing issues such as racism in gaming, for a variety of reasons, but it’s not something that I’m going to shut down. As we moderators have said before time and time again, racism is not political and it’s not something to be thrown under the banner of “politics” so that that conversation is shut down. Pub policy has not and will not change on that.

Oh, dude, now I want to build gingerbread houses! Maybe I'll pick up a kit on the way home.
it was fun stuff. I got one from costco. it was kind of janky, but me and the boy had a good time. it turned out kinda like trash, but i don't regret doing it how we did at all. it was good fun.

it was fun stuff. I got one from costco. it was kind of janky, but me and the boy had a good time. it turned out kinda like trash, but i don't regret doing it how we did at all. it was good fun.

We've tried that a few times. Seems like most times it ended with the kit being eaten before assembly was completed (or often even started). :grin:

We've tried that a few times. Seems like most times it ended with the kit being eaten before assembly was completed (or often even started). :grin:
i cannot confirm or deny the full complement of decorations made it onto the house, or that children were taught how to shoot frosting into their mouths without their mother looking.

i cannot confirm or deny the full complement of decorations made it onto the house, or that children were taught how to shoot frosting into their mouths without their mother looking.

When my older son was very little he would make a hissing / shushing sound. This was the result of my shooting whipped cream into his mouth. The sound was his way of asking for more whipped cream.

Since he made it to adulthood I think the statute of limitations on parenting has passed by this point. :wink:

When my older son was very little he would make a hissing / shushing sound. This was the result of my shooting whipped cream into his mouth. The sound was his way of asking for more whipped cream.

Since he made it to adulthood I think the statute of limitations on parenting has passed by this point. :wink:
i can neither confirm or deny that my own child learned that trick in the last couple of weeks.

While Mythic Polynesia's subject doesn't directly impact my family, I am sensitive to how non-Europeans have been treated by Europeans due to my wife's story. My wife was adopted as an infant from India and raised in the US. She is an immigrant and a US citizen. She has had a slur tossed her way that refers to people of Arabic origin or Muslim and Sheikh religions, none of which apply to her as an East Indian and raised in a Protestant religion. She has been shouted at to go back to where she came from. During the previous presidential term, things seemed like they were heading in a direction that had me actually seriously mentally mapping out how we would bug out to Canada (and thankful that we live close enough that we would have a chance of bugging out almost no matter how bad things got).

I hope this doesn't stray too far into politics, but on the subject of harm, my wife and children (and this me also as a family member) have been harmed by particular narratives that I would call wrong. We home school our children with the aid of a former teacher, one of a tiny handful of professionals who honor and respect our family, because we have time and time again run into professionals and institutions that can not honor and respect our family. The harm isn't physical but certainly emotional and economic.

There is no hug emote here, but yeah. I've seen such things though not so much in gaming. Mind you, it may be that I choose to play with better people at times. (The thought that one of my game groups though I love the people might be 'better' is not making me terrified at just how bad the world is because they can be pretty odd/janky/weird at times and not in always good ways.)

Spontaneous drama outbreak out of nowhere and for no discernible cause.

Alot of the more ...egregious... posts were removed. Curious parties trying to follow the events will have to start with page 2 or 3 of the Mythic Polynesia thread up until the first time it was shut down. At which point, Rob recieved a threadban for reasons that should be obvious to anyone reading the exchage. The majority of the posts in this thread that were removed were escalations of that, whereupon Rob felt the need to (putting it diplomatically), "express his opinions about me", in ways that revealed some of his opinions about other demographics. This was accompanied by a form of trolling I'd rather not mention so as to not give anyone else ideas.

My hope is that in January, or however long it takes him to come back, if he does, Rob will, I dunno, calm the fuck down.

The long-anticipated "Welcome to the RPGPub" thread has been posted and stickied in the main forum (https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/welcome-to-the-rpgpub.8516/), which currently includes a general introduction to the Pub and Forum rules, A list of staff and an overview of our approach to moderation, an overview of forum culture including the Pub's unique lingo/in-jokes and their origins, and an F.A.Q. that will be expanded over time.

We've been talking about doing this ever since the Pub started substantially growing, and I mentioned it publicly in one of our last moderation threads, but it was a bigger undertaking than it might appear. I went back through each of our previous moderation/rules discussions stretching back to the Pub's first year, and collated a bunch of our prior statements and explanations, then whittled those down to the most succinct explanations possible. All of the Mods provided extensive feedback on early drafts and on what to include in the FAQ.

I think it'll not just be valuable to new members, but also as a resource for longterm members, as it gathers together many statements made in various threads over the years that not everyone may have seen, and I think gives the clearest overall picture of our approach to moderation, not t mention providing links to the origins of a lot of our running jokes. I think this will not just help posters understand how we deal with issues, but give mods something to point towards for explanations, making our job easier as the Pub continues to grow.

Eventually, besides expanding the FAQ as necessary, I'd like to add a "Hall of Fame" section to the thread where we keep links to some of the Pub's best threads over the years.

Anyways, since that thread is closed for obvious reasons, I figured this would be the best place to invite any discussion/feedback that any posters might have .

Edit: Endless is going to give the thread essentially it's own page at the top of the forums, as opposed to just stickied in the RPG forum.

Last edited:
i can neither confirm or deny that my own child learned that trick in the last couple of weeks.
It seems that it’s always the Fathers or elder brothers that pass on that cultural ritual.

I think it'll not just be valuable to new members, but also as a resource for longterm members,
When I was programme leader at uni I always used to join the start-of-semester induction courses, just to mess with the president's head when she popped in to welcome the new academic staff. I always found it very valuable.

The long-anticipated "Welcome to the RPGPub" thread has been posted and stickied in the main forum (https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/welcome-to-the-rpgpub.8516/), which currently includes a general introduction to the Pub and Forum rules, A list of staff and an overview of our approach to moderation, an overview of forum culture including the Pub's unique lingo/in-jokes and their origins, and an F.A.Q. that will be expanded over time.

We've been talking about doing this ever since the Pub started substantially growing, and I mentioned it publicly in one of our last moderation threads, but it was a bigger undertaking than it might appear. I went back through each of our previous moderation/rules discussions stretching back to the Pub's first year, and collated a bunch of our prior statements and explanations, then whittled those down to the most succinct explanations possible. All of the Mods provided extensive feedback on early drafts and on what to include in the FAQ.

I think it'll not just be valuable to new members, but also as a resource for longterm members, as it gathers together many statements made in various threads over the years that not everyone may have seen, and I think gives the clearest overall picture of our approach to moderation, not t mention providing links to the origins of a lot of our running jokes. I think this will not just help posters understand how we deal with issues, but give mods something to point towards for explanations, making our job easier as the Pub continues to grow.

Eventually, besides expanding the FAQ as necessary, I'd like to add a "Hall of Fame" section to the thread where we keep links to some of the Pub's best threads over the years.

Anyways, since that thread is closed for obvious reasons, I figured this would be the best place to invite any discussion/feedback that any posters might have .

Edit: Endless is going to give the thread essentially it's own page at the top of the forums, as opposed to just stickied in the RPG forum.
The welcome thread is gloriously SWO. A slow clap for everyone involved. :thumbsup: Or perhaps a ... SWO clap? :ooh:

A lot of us grew with the pub so we've kind of grown with the way moderation works, but I often feel like it can feel weird and nebulous if you are new and coming from other places.

In my case, I lurked for several weeks to get a feel for this place before officially joining, but I realize that most people don't bother to do that.

The new Welcome to the Pub post in really good. It is clear, well structured and nicely covers the quirkiness of this site, hopefully making the in-joke feel less cliquey.

My one comment, and hesitate to say this, is wonder if it is wise in this day and age to have the right at the top the image of a pretty young lady with a generous cleavage. I get it, Oktoberfest - Pub, makes perfect sense. But in the context of explaining the No Politcs rules as taking a break from the Culture Wars, that perhaps is not the most neutral of images. Or maybe that's the point?

The new Welcome to the Pub post in really good. It is clear, well structured and nicely covers the quirkiness of this site, hopefully making the in-joke feel less cliquey.

My one comment, and hesitate to say this, is wonder if it is wise in this day and age to have the right at the top the image of a pretty young lady with a generous cleavage. I get it, Oktoberfest - Pub, makes perfect sense. But in the context of explaining the No Politcs rules as taking a break from the Culture Wars, that perhaps is not the most neutral of images. Or maybe that's the point?
We just need to add a hot guy in Lederhosen, if anything.

we figured it was better than the original image we were going to use...

topless girl huge tits social media.jpg

In all seriousness, I think the Oktoberfest image is pretty moderate, the girl is conservatively dressed, not excessively busty, and the text pretty much covers the lower half of the image with her face as the focal point of the image rather than her cleavage, but I'll put it up to the thread if anyone wants to weigh in with their opinion?

Last edited:
Just read through it and I think it’s great. The only thing I didn’t see (might have missed it) that might be worth explaining is that the mods will sometimes remove contentious posts from a thread to help prevent a bigger issue.

It might be worth calling that out in the section about moderation, so that people understand that having a post removed isn’t some sort of punishment, but more of a quick edit to keep a thread from boiling over on an ill-considered post.

Just might help people to understand that removing a post IS a light touch when considered against the option to remove the poster.

Just read through it and I think it’s great. The only thing I didn’t see (might have missed it) that might be worth explaining is that the mods will sometimes remove contentious posts from a thread to help prevent a bigger issue.

It might be worth calling that out in the section about moderation, so that people understand that having a post removed isn’t some sort of punishment, but more of a quick edit to keep a thread from boiling over on an ill-considered post.

Just might help people to understand that removing a post IS a light touch when considered against the option to remove the poster.

That's a good point. May add it to the FAQ with something like "My Post has been removed- what Happened?"

Yeah, I think that's possibly valid, partly because of the current makeup of the board being quite so blokey overall.

I like Fenris' suggestion though.

Maybe something like this?

Sexy Bartender.jpeg

In all seriousness, I think the Oktoberfest image is pretty moderate, the girl is conservatively dressed, not excessively busty, and the text pretty much covers the lower half of the image with her face as the focal point of the image rather than her cleavage, but I'll put it up to the thread if anyone wants to weigh in with their opinion?
I missed the text on this originally....

I don't think it's the image so much, which I agree is quite mild. It's more that I think we don't want to be seen as a lad's forum.

Please note. This is NOT an invitation for you to put that Frank Mentzer photo in the FAQ.

That's a good point. May add it to the FAQ with something like "My Post has been removed- what Happened?"
I think this needs a flowchart. Was I being an insufferable ass? -- fuck you. Was I breaking the no politics rule? -- post removed for board safety --- repost in a more congenial way or just hush. If neither one of two are the case -- blame the geese.

I think this needs a flowchart. Was I being an insufferable ass? -- fuck you. Was I breaking the no politics rule? -- post removed for board safety --- repost in a more congenial way or just hush. If neither one of two are the case -- blame the geese.
Like a choose your own adventure?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back