The Martial Arts Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
As of last week, all the kids in the house are doing BJJ now, including the youngest at 3 years of age:shade:!

Of course, kids BJJ is more about grappling-related games and conditioning, with limited rolling, but that's fine by me. I can always teach them 10 001 ways to hurt or put to sleep their fellow human beings when they get older (and I'm sure they wouldn't misuse those, especially on each other:angel:).
Most of those also get easier if you're a better grappler:tongue:!

In unrelated news, I'm looking at the Mizzou Choke and Buggy Choke and laughing my ass out!
One of these is the explanation on how the Mizzou Choke was devised (or at least used recently, it's possibly a catch hold:thumbsup:). Putting people to sleep so fast the referee doesn't notice, so you could pin them, in a competition where choking is actually forbidden? That's a stroke of genius, I say...evil genius, but still:devil:!

And then the Buggy Choke, videolink here, is also a stroke of genius. Reportedly invented by a white belt who caught some higher-level belts with it...it's a reminder to remain humble regardless of rankings:grin:!
I can't confirm it, but have a strong suspicion it was devised by him simply wanting to triangle his opponents after they've secured side control. He seems like a guy that likes using a good triangle:skeleton:.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I know nothing about MMA but Warrior is good movie and this video is fun.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and George Saint-Pierre, a.k.a. GSP, is widely considered one of the top contenders for MMA GOAT. That's the guy commenting on those movies:thumbsup:.

Now, if any of you wants to learn something new for free, I recommend getting The Pendejo Guard by Craig Jones while it's free (they say it's only going to be free for 3 days, though that just might be another of CJ's jokes...he is, after all, the guy wearing a "Fuck Craig Jones" t-shirt while interviewing another MMA legend, Kazushi Sakuraba, about his favourite techniques, and also the guy who named another of his instructionals "Mexican Ground Karate":shade:).

Moracai Moracai and Fenris-77 Fenris-77 should take special heed of this offer...though if you haven't registered for BJJ fanatics yet, use one of my links to also get a discount:grin:!

Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Separately from this matter, there's three things that I enjoyed today:
First, Carlos Machado stating he likes "Lazy Jiu-Jitsu". What does that mean to him? "The more you flatten the guy, the less you need to move":shade:!

Second, a theory I'm developping is that people's styles are like animals: they attack those targets they are weakest on, themselves. True or not? I'm not sure yet:gunslinger:.

And the third is another of my theories* that I have to explore in more detail. But that's like a series of equations...just keep in mind equations can be read both left to right and right to left...
To get control, you need a strong controlling grip.
To successfully submit, you need control.
Therefore, submission grips are probably among the most stable grips for control, especially in the latest phase. What happens if we can apply the same gripping position that we useon on another part of the body? Do we get superior control? What if we switch it around?
If yes, I should really re-visit my old submissions...and see if I could use the final grips during the previous phase of rolling - fighting for control:evil:. (Amusing fact, I know loads of submissions, I was just working on setting them via striking...now I want to bypass the striking phase for practical reasons:tongue:).

*After Danaher himself seems to have confirmed my previous theory on the relationship of sweeps and throws, I just needed to formulate some new ones to explore:devil:!

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
No quotes for today, because Carlos Machado would take the spotlight yet again, and I feel like giving the spotlight to different people! Otherwise I could quote him for a long, long time...:clown:

I'll just note that he is quite probably the best teacher I've ever seen...whether in an instructional or IRL. Yes, I've been on one of his seminars, envy me:devil:!

I mean, where other people would show you a technique and go on, he shows you the principle of the technique, noting the main points in isolation, then shows you the technique from different angles, then stops and notes a few more details, then shows it from another angle. Then the next technique might well be the same move applied against a different action by the opponent.

Also of note, his butterfly guard moves seem designed to be used where striking is allowed (he usually controls the hands to begin with). And purely time-wise, he pays much more attention to getting the dominant position than to the submissions from there (I think there isn't a single submission in the first five DVDs of his "butterfly guard" instructional...and I'm getting a nagging suspicion the other three might be the same way, which would be nothing short of hilarious, though I doubt it:grin:).

OTOH, he teaches gripping, and more gripping, and grip variations, and uses the guillotine position for a grip ending in a sweep, and when trying one of his grips, I nearly dislocated the shoulder of the (voluntary) dummy. So I suspect I can see how to apply submissions from there, and would like to see more courses like this:angel:!
Also, I might start looking in the V-grip in more detail as a consequence of his course:shade:.

Yeah, I know, I should just watch more wrestling instructionals if I want this. I've got those as well, just finished Matt Lindland's set on Greco...but I'd like to see more BJJ-oriented instructionals which are simply concentrating on positions - and then you can cover the submissions in a different set:thumbsup:!
I guess I'm just being capricious, but the customer is always right, OK:tongue:?

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think I reached a huge breakout in my understanding of controlling tactics...shortly before I fell asleep...for nearly 14 hours, and now I remember nothing:devil:!

Today's practice was fun, though. I met Christian again, he's quickly becoming my favourite rolling partner. He's big (slightly smaller than me), stronger, tough and has a no-nonsense attitude without being mean.
I managed to sweep him once from Butterfly Guard in a single roll. He got out of my side control and to half guard so fast I wouldn't have got points for the position:grin:.
But whatever, that's still an achievement for me in my book (he tapped me out after this). Why?
Because I've never been taught that sweep offline. Learned it from Carlos Machado's instructional.
Despite us playing in no gi and the instructional being about the gi (though it doesn't really matter, I think the same moves would work great with changing the hip control to an overhook or underhook).
I mean, I tapped other guys today using a guillotine, a kimura, an americana (same thing, but I used one of each) and an arm triangle...but the one achievement I'm most proud with is that sweep:tongue:! I had strength, mass and experience on the other partners, so I expected nothing else.

BTW, I haven't been exactly shown the arm triangle or the guillotine either, at least not in the last 16 years...and I think the guillotine I haven't been shown, either, though I've used it before. But old habits obviously die hard, like old warriors (especially what you learn on a Gokor seminar:shade:)!

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
And it seems that Carlos Machado himself has uploaded one of his instructionals (that he's made when younger) on YouTube. Haven't watched it yet, but I think some of you might be interested.
...and don't forget to subscribe:shade:!

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com