Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I really like Against the Darkmaster, it's a real labour of love but holds together really well. How I wish it had been released over two of three books though - its huge! I may split the pdf and POD it into three volumes so I can use at the table (and read without getting wrist-ache)!

I've taken to doing that with larger rp books since PDFs are pretty standard. Printing it myself and breaking it up into sections like player section and GM section. Some of the bigger books though end up being three or four sections. AtD feels like it might be one of those best if broken up into three or so.

I've taken to doing that with larger rp books since PDFs are pretty standard. Printing it myself and breaking it up into sections like player section and GM section. Some of the bigger books though end up being three or four sections. AtD feels like it might be one of those best if broken up into three or so.

I've masturbated loads in my 49 years on this planet and my wrists still feel the strain supporting this behemoth-of-a-book.

Perhaps I didn't need to share that.

I would have liked to get AiME in hard copy but when it was announced that Cubicle 7 was out, I prioritized getting physical copies of the TOR books. I knew once the news was out there that ebay prices would go nuts. I have AiME in pdf. I would have liked to get both and it is kind of backward since I'm probably more likely to play AiME due to the much larger number of 5E players out there. The TOR books were just more appealing to me and I've got plenty of experience porting game material to other systems being cursed with an inability to play games as written.

Free League gave me the impression that they were true fans of TOR 1st ed, and that might be the reason why TOR got priority over any D&D conversion.

The owners of the Tolkien rights are also allegedly difficult to deal with, so there may also be some strategic angles to doing TOR first even if a 5e based game might sell more books.

Anything in particular?

It seemed to play fine when I ran it.
It runs fine in general. 5e is a solid system, so that really isn’t much of a surprise. However a number of the character abilities were not well designed. Some were rebalanced in later books as optional rules rather than errata, such as the scholar changes in the LM Screen. However, a number of others were left.

It was better than most 3e/5e adaptations, but it could have used another design pass at least. I expect FL will be using Ruins of Symbaroum for exactly that kind of thing before starting their own 5e TOR.

Anything in particular?

It seemed to play fine when I ran it.

Agreed. My campaign (currently on hiatus) went for many years using TOR 1e, then we switched to AME for another few years. IMHO, both games are excellent, but I felt AME was better in all three main areas of the game, and I thought it ran great.

Agreed. My campaign (currently on hiatus) went for many years using TOR 1e, then we switched to AME for another few years. IMHO, both games are excellent, but I felt AME was better in all three main areas of the game, and I thought it ran great.

For my TOR game I mercilessly stole and converted mechanics and ideas for journeys and councils/meetings. Far better in AME than (RAW) TOR. I'm really happy with my TOR1.5 so have no need to move to the new edition which I think has it's own problems as I've mentioned upthread. All great games though.

I held off on the starter set to show some financial restraint but will probably pick it up from the FLGS.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back