Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I won't be joining the KS but will definitely pick this up in retail. The first edition was absolutely excellent at delivering a proper ME feel at the table and we had many enjoyable sessions off of it. I'm hoping for very few changes other than some tidying up of clunk and a strongly waved duster of organisation because it was an absolute bugger to find the things you wanted in the main book at haste. I'm hoping there won't be any shift in the focus of the play, but if there is so be it and back to the original version; there's enough books still on the shelves.

I prefer the art of FL 2e TOR over the sneak peak art we saw from C7 2e TOR. That said I still prefer the 1e art as I feel it best captures the feel of middle earth.
C7 2e art was too generic high fantasy and FL 2e art is a little too dark for my taste. Also I'm not the biggest fan of that digital fuzz effect FL has in their artwork for many of their product ranges.
Either way, I'm just hoping the journey rules are much improved.

I agree that the 1e art captures the feel best, with the proviso that much remains to be seen with the Free League version.

The Forbidden Lands artist Alvaro Tapia will be doing all the black and white line art in the set, so that will have a big influence on the final look. Its the one area that felt that 1e’s art did not quite hit the same quality of Jon Hodgson’s contribution.

It actually sounds like Alvaro Tapia’s work may have been one of the reasons the designers chose Free League for TOR; and Martin Grip came after.

You can see him at work on a TOR piece here:
1612977139409.jpeg

Last edited:
The Forbidden Lands artist Alvaro Tapia will be doing all the black and white line art in the set, so that will have a big influence on the final look. Its the one area that felt that 1e’s art did not quite hit the same quality of Jon Hodgson’s contribution.

It actually sounds like Alvaro Tapia’s work may have been one of the reasons the designers chose Free League for TOR; and Martin Grip came after.

You can see him at work on a TOR piece here:
View attachment 26569

I love pencil art and in particular the forbidden land artist.

You know, I really do try to be reasonable and talk my way out of unnecessary purchases. I was doing fairly well with regards to ToR 2e and built a solid case, in my mind, to not buy on the basis of the fuzzy digital art... but then you come along and show me this... There is only so much a man can resist. F me.

The system will be compatible with some minor updates. Personally, I found the system to be great, so I am pleased with that.

The setting focus will shift from Rhovanion to Eriador, with the Shore featuring in a starter set to be released as a part of this KS.
Why so? Mirkwood seems a more exciting choice on the face of it?

Mirkwood is already detailed in 1e, so I don't think rehashing it for 2e, which is meant to be compatible, would be a good idea.

A focus of The One Ring has always been to put you into the setting at ground level as a character taking their first steps on adventure in the world outside their hometown. The Shire and Bree make obvious choices for this, probably more so than Mirkwood, given both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings start there and there is also lots of adventure in Eriador as seen by in those stories.

I heard a rumour than we will also see an adventure collection focusing on Tharbad to the south. If that's true and they follow up with Moria, then it ties it altogether nicely.

Mirkwood is already detailed in 1e, so I don't think rehashing it for 2e, which is meant to be compatible, would be a good idea.

A focus of The One Ring has always been to put you into the setting at ground level as a character taking their first steps on adventure in the world outside their hometown. The Shire and Bree make obvious choices for this, probably more so than Mirkwood, given both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings start there and there is also lots of adventure in Eriador as seen by in those stories.

I heard a rumour than we will also see an adventure collection focusing on Tharbad to the south. If that's true and they follow up with Moria, then it ties it altogether nicely.
I'm definitely interested in this project, but I'm not interested in the Shire at all. It depends how far the Eriador region goes. Theere isn't a vast amount of environmental variation. Hoipoefully they'll include Angmar. In the end it doesn't really matter; what you want are enemies to fight.

I'm definitely interested in this project, but I'm not interested in the Shire at all. It depends how far the Eriador region goes. Theere isn't a vast amount of environmental variation. Hoipoefully they'll include Angmar. In the end it doesn't really matter; what you want are enemies to fight.
They don’t call them the Trollshaws for nothing. Ettinmoors, Barrow Downs, North Downs, Old Forest, Forochel, Ered Luin and the western forests, Ruins of Annuminas, Angmar. There’s undead a’plenty in Eriador, lots of scattered pockets of bandits and other unallied men. Just as there was also an untold tale of Sauron’s push in the north of Rhovanion, he might have plans to keep the Elves of Forlindon and Harlindon and the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains isolated and unable to help further East.

Tharbad would be awesome. It’s always featured in my Eriador campaigns.

I think the Fouth Age though is the best time for Eriador as Aragorn begins to reclaim and rebuild Arnor. Lots of opportunity there for adventurers, especially those that want to clear, rebuild, and rule lands in the name of the King. I wonder what the licensing for 4th Age content looks like.

Anyway, looking forward to what the come up with.

It’s different from what came before, so it draws eyes it might not have drawn before. I like it too.

I pledged. I'm excited. The new look is growing on me, and Free League makes really nice stuff.

Too bad they can’t tack on 1e stuff as a pledge level.

Does anyone know what shipping might be to the UK, particularly now? Or am i better off in PDF land? I suspect the latter given this is an EU (iirc) project.

Le sigh

Does anyone know what shipping might be to the UK, particularly now? Or am i better off in PDF land? I suspect the latter given this is an EU (iirc) project.

Le sigh

From the kickstarter:

Here is a list of rough shipping estimates:

• United Kingdom: $10–12 (ships from UK)
  • EU: $15–25 (ships from EU)
  • USA: $15–20 (ships from US)
  • Canada: $20–25 (ships from US or UK)
  • Australia: $20–30 (ships from US or UK)
  • Rest of World: $25–35 (ships from US or UK)

god-dammit. Now I want that f-ing collectors edition.

Kickstarter is live.

Starter box has the gold ring, which explains the red ring on the corebook. Green ring book incoming?

I wonder if they'll be able to hit their funding goal. /sarcasm.

I like aime, I'm thinking this might be a good way to dip a toe into TOR.

From the kickstarter:

Here is a list of rough shipping estimates:

• United Kingdom: $10–12 (ships from UK)
  • EU: $15–25 (ships from EU)
  • USA: $15–20 (ships from US)
  • Canada: $20–25 (ships from US or UK)
  • Australia: $20–30 (ships from US or UK)
  • Rest of World: $25–35 (ships from US or UK)
Yeah but the problem is that Brexit has fucked everything up so getting the stuff to the UK for shipping could be horrific given the kind of custom charges that are being reported right now.

(this isn't a politics discussion, it's entirely pertinent. Freeleague are based in Sweden which means, iirc, the product will initially come from there to the Uk for shipping, correct me if I'm wrong).

Their distributor in the UK is Modiphius so bulk shipping Sweden (not in the EU) to the UK (not in the EU) and then shipped out from Modiphius. I don't envy the US backers though as Modiphius doesn't have (yet) a US distribution hub.

My understanding from the kickstarter page is that they have three places to ship from: the US, the UK, and the EU. Might be adding a fourth in Australia.

Tharbad would be awesome. It’s always featured in my Eriador campaigns.

STRETCH GOAL 11: FOG OVER THARBAD – UNLOCKED!
We will commission acclaimed author Gareth Hanrahan to write a description of the decaying city of Tharbad, a possible sanctuary for Adventurers, and to tell the story of the isolated ‘kingdom’ of refugees that has risen among the ruins of the Númenórean "Great Haven" on the coast, in a PDF compendium.

Their distributor in the UK is Modiphius so bulk shipping Sweden (not in the EU) to the UK (not in the EU) and then shipped out from Modiphius. I don't envy the US backers though as Modiphius doesn't have (yet) a US distribution hub.
But doesn't it have to get to the distributor first? If that means coming from Sweden/EU then there are inevitably going to be problems. Or have I misunderstood

But doesn't it have to get to the distributor first? If that means coming from Sweden/EU then there are inevitably going to be problems. Or have I misunderstood

Bulk shipping to the shipping hub isn't going to affect the customer, it will have already been accounted for as a business expense. The only charges the backer has to pay is shipping from the distribution centre.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the KS, but if I already have the first edition of TOR (plus the 5E Adventures in Middle-earth) is there much that would draw me to 2E?

I bought TOR at GenCon way back as the collector set, but never played it. Bought 5E AiME and like it. The new artwork looks neat, but I can't tell otherwise how different it will be from the books I already own.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the KS, but if I already have the first edition of TOR (plus the 5E Adventures in Middle-earth) is there much that would draw me to 2E?

I bought TOR at GenCon way back as the collector set, but never played it. Bought 5E AiME and like it. The new artwork looks neat, but I can't tell otherwise how different it will be from the books I already own.

You might not want the update rulebook but you might want the boxed set set in the Shire and new locations like Tharbad.

Well it’s a true 2e will some rule updates and tweaks, and it covers a different area of Middle Earth than the first edition. However, if you liked AIME better, they have said that a new edition of that is in the works and will be coming later.

Sweden is not in the EU. So by November I'm sure that the UK ports will have got imports fixed or we'll all be dead of starvation.

Deep down I know this would just end up an expensive paper weight or dust collector, but I dig the art direction.

Deep down I know this would just end up an expensive paper weight or dust collector, but I dig the art direction.

YEah, that's the struggle for me. I know from first edition that I won't be running this game ever in the foreseeable future, but still it calls to me just as pure shelf candy.

....and that map!

YEah, that's the struggle for me. I know from first edition that I won't be running this game ever in the foreseeable future, but still it calls to me just as pure shelf candy.

....and that map!
I know its geek heresy to say this, but I don't even really like Tolkien that much. I was always more of a Moorcock, Vance, Weird Tales kind of fantasy reader. But I've always had a soft spot for the visuals of Bakshi's and Frazetta's take on the setting/stories since I was a kid.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back