The One Ring Two

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score

That feeling when you've just invested in the first edition and three sourcebooks and just started reading them...

I believe it's backwards compatible so the sourcebooks should still be good. Think yourself lucky it's only three, I have a complete set.

It’s said to be backward compatible with minor adjustments. Fingers crossed this is the truth, otherwise I will be done with C7 from here on out.

Along with the Warhammer games, including 40KRP now, Cubicle 7 are putting together a very strong list of titles. I also note how they are using the Lord of the Rings subtitle to really emphasise it. I doubt they'll change the system much, but rather it will just be a facelift with appearance, new art - they've done this before.

I wonder if a new edition of Doctor Who will also be round the corner, considering the show having moved on to the 13th Doctor?

The move to Ireland may have given them a new lease of life, in any case. Indeed, are they Ireland's biggest ever RPG company?

The move to Ireland may have given them a new lease of life, in any case. Indeed, are they Ireland's biggest ever RPG company?
Eddy Webb lived in Ireland for a bit there last year or so, thus Pugsteady was here for a bit. Now there's Cubicle 7. Aside from the guys who translated Mentzer's basic into Gaelic in 80s (if you could even call them a company) I don't think there have ever been others.

Eddy Webb lived in Ireland for a bit there last year or so, thus Pugsteady was here for a bit. Now there's Cubicle 7. Aside from the guys who translated Mentzer's basic into Gaelic in 80s (if you could even call them a company) I don't think there have ever been others.
I'm wondering what the motivation to move from Oxford was? I'm guessing Brexit although obviously I don't want the conversation to get political.

I'm wondering what the motivation to move from Oxford was? I'm guessing Brexit although obviously I don't want the conversation to get political.
The place they've moved to Gormanston is quite nice, they're in a park set up for medium sized businesses, beach nearby and just off a road that goes straight to shipping docks. It's probably the best place for an RPG company to be if they were in Ireland, but I don't know why they moved.

Hope they look for nearby playtesters! :grin:

Think yourself lucky it's only three, I have a complete set.
Yep.
It’s said to be backward compatible with minor adjustments. Fingers crossed this is the truth, otherwise I will be done with C7 from here on out.
And yep.

Man, I don't know what my reaction to this is. Very mixed. I love Middle-Earth and the system and I want to support it but, as AA said, I have a complete set as well. And as Skywalker said, it's backwards compatibility to the current edition will ultimately be the deciding factor whether or not I continue support of the line. I guess we'll see.

This is an odd decision. This game sits in a crowded market place and is most known for its setting materials, yet it's trying to maintain two separate systems for that setting (ToR and their 5E adaptation). And this might be the nominal second edition, but they already did two physical presentations of the first edition (the weirdly organized two book slipcase edition, on which I unfortunately wasted money). This sounds to me like a waste of energy that will be appreciated only by the hardest core of the system's fans.

This is an odd decision. This game sits in a crowded market place and is most known for its setting materials, yet it's trying to maintain two separate systems for that setting (ToR and their 5E adaptation). And this might be the nominal second edition, but they already did two physical presentations of the first edition (the weirdly organized two book slipcase edition, on which I unfortunately wasted money). This sounds to me like a waste of energy that will be appreciated only by the hardest core of the system's fans.
Good points. It was already announced that Moria was going to be dual-statted for TOR and 5e. If that hasn't changed, I would not be surprised if all supplemental material (not the core rule book) in the second edition becomes dual-statted for both systems. It simply doesn't make sense not to. I don't know - assuming that design decision is made - how it will affect the fan base. Not much, I'd reckon.
And yeah, I wasted money on that slipcase as well...at least I got some dice! :smile:

My thoughts from a similar discussion on FB:

I’ll think it is to be expected that a new edition drop every 8 to 10 years. Rules need to be both updated and more importantly gathered together in one volume... Now we have rules in a multitude (well... Several at least) of books.

Secondly, I guess its a question of base economy. Ordinarily, core rules sell a lot more than supplements. It seems that there is a necessity to update the rules in order for the system to be viable from an economic standpoint!

I could of course be completely wrong but i think this is the typical life cycle of an rpg...

I also note how they are using the Lord of the Rings subtitle to really emphasise it. I doubt they'll change the system much, but rather it will just be a facelift with appearance, new art - they've done this before.
From the mention in the press release of "thirty years of game time" and "enter[ing] a new era", it almost sounds like they're advancing the timeline - would "metaplot" be the proper word in this context? - from a post-Hobbit to a pre-LotR focus. It would make sense, in that event, to add Lord of the Rings to the title of the game.
It was already announced that Moria was going to be dual-statted for TOR and 5e. If that hasn't changed, I would not be surprised if all supplemental material (not the core rule book) in the second edition becomes dual-statted for both systems.
The Moria supplement is mentioned towards the end as an upcoming release, along with a (boxed?) starter set, a bestiary and two Gondor-themed titles. No mention is made of 5E, and with this new direction it would actually make more sense to me for the dual-stating idea to be quietly dropped.

The idea that the timeline is advancing seems to be pretty clear:

"WHAT’S NEW?
The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying Game brings players further into the Twilight of the Third Age and closer to the events of the War of the Ring. It has been almost 25 years since the defeat of Smaug the Terrible and the hope that came with the death of the Dragon has dwindled. A Shadow grows in the East and the Dark Lord’s forces are mustering their strength. The Steward of Gondor has need of heroes, and great deeds await those who would answer the call."

The timeline and the focus is moving.

Along with the Warhammer games, including 40KRP now, Cubicle 7 are putting together a very strong list of titles. I also note how they are using the Lord of the Rings subtitle to really emphasise it. I doubt they'll change the system much, but rather it will just be a facelift with appearance, new art - they've done this before.

I wonder if a new edition of Doctor Who will also be round the corner, considering the show having moved on to the 13th Doctor?

Not sure about a new edition, but they usually give the game a lick of paint. Licensing permitting.

From memory, they originally intended to release a series of The One Ring games - each one expanding on the timeline and setting. So in that sense, this is precisely what they have been doing all along.

Ireland has been trying to promote itself as a very businesses friendly nation to attract companies. I've mostly heard it related to the tech industry but maybe the perks extend to RPG companies as well.

For some reason until hearing of their move, I had it in my head that Cubicle 7 was based in Italy. No idea how where that idea came from.

Ireland has been trying to promote itself as a very businesses friendly nation to attract companies. I've mostly heard it related to the tech industry but maybe the perks extend to RPG companies as well.

For some reason until hearing of their move, I had it in my head that Cubicle 7 was based in Italy. No idea how where that idea came from.
I do note that Ireland has done very well for itself, economically, over the last few years or decades even. Cubicle 7 seemed to be very much selling it's 'Englishness' before then I felt, being based in the fairly archetypal Englsh town of Oxford. Middle Earth and Doctor Who are very English IPs really, although they do have global appeal. Warhammer is also pretty much an English IP too, that has become very successful internationally. Nevertheless, I think they'll do very well in Ireland and may get some advantage in distribution to the US and the EU especially.

From the blurb on the Cubicle 7 page:
"Those who have been with us since the beginning will be happy to learn that all previously released material for The One Ring will be usable with the second edition, with only minor adjustments."

Well I have almost all of TOR books, so if this is backward-compatible then that's fine with me.

I also have AiME core books just in case I find myself with players only wanting to play D&D, but I haven't bought the AiME supplements yet as I have most of that content with the TOR books ( I can convert of the fly)

I ended up converting TOR supplements to a Fate Core Middle Earth hack instead, it just worked better for players whom I had previously run Fate Core with - it's an easy convert

Middle Earth is one of the settings I collect, so having current rpg supplements for it that really feels like it evokes the flavour of the setting is a big win as far as I'm concerned. The main thing for me is for Cubicle 7 to keep their licence for Middle Earth, as their supplements are really great.

Last edited:
I think the TOR system is simple enough that there's little to update, I would suspect that the 2e system would just collect the rules and class updates from the previous supplements.

The idea that the timeline is advancing seems to be pretty clear:

"WHAT’S NEW?
The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying Game brings players further into the Twilight of the Third Age and closer to the events of the War of the Ring. It has been almost 25 years since the defeat of Smaug the Terrible and the hope that came with the death of the Dragon has dwindled. A Shadow grows in the East and the Dark Lord’s forces are mustering their strength. The Steward of Gondor has need of heroes, and great deeds await those who would answer the call."

The timeline and the focus is moving.
And there I was thinking metaplot pushing new editions were a thing if the past.

And there I was thinking metaplot pushing new editions were a thing if the past.
As I said before, this was actually what was originally planned, when the game was first released. They had announced that The One Ring: Adventures Over The Edge of The World (the slipcase edition) was meant to be the first of a trilogy of games - each expanding out the timeline and geography. The plan was supposedly abandoned, but here we are with a third core book release, and it's largely what they had said they would do.

I gotten some of the One Ring adventures (in PDF) when I got Adventures in Middle Earth. Then later I got the AiME version and it was 80% the same. So I think that TOR Version would be even closer. Probably akin to the difference between AD&D module and a BECMI module.

As I said before, this was actually what was originally planned, when the game was first released. They had announced that The One Ring: Adventures Over The Edge of The World (the slipcase edition) was meant to be the first of a trilogy of games - each expanding out the timeline and geography. The plan was supposedly abandoned, but here we are with a third core book release, and it's largely what they had said they would do.
So what you're saying is that about 2027 we should expect to see The One Ring: Dawn of the Fourth Age? :wink:

The original plan was:

- Darkening of Mirkwood - Rhovanion - 5 years after Hobbit (AH)
- Errantries of the King - Eriador - 45 AH
- War of the Ring - Gondor - 85 AH

They list Errantries of the King along with the Gondor supplement, so I am guessing that they are roughly following the original plan.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back