The One Ring

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m thinking of maybe running an adventure using the 2nd edition of The One Ring. I think it might work well in play-by-post with little adjusting. I wouldn’t start for a few weeks, perhaps shortly after Christmas at the earliest. Any interest?

I am no Tolkien or Middle-earth canon expert but I know enough to run a game…I think.

I’m thinking of maybe running an adventure using the 2nd edition of The One Ring. I think it might work well in play-by-post with little adjusting. I wouldn’t start for a few weeks, perhaps shortly after Christmas at the earliest. Any interest?
I would like to play.

While I wouldn't have time to play just yet I'm interested: I loved 1e and I kickstarted 2e so I'm curious to see how it shakes out.

While I wouldn't have time to play just yet I'm interested: I loved 1e and I kickstarted 2e so I'm curious to see how it shakes out.
Well, if we start and you aren’t ready yet, we can pick you up later when your character is at the same tavern as the other party members.

And here I am with pdfs of the 2e rules from the kickstarter and wandering what to do with them.

I'm interested.

I’ll see if we get a couple more but maybe you guys can discuss where you might like to adventure around and what kinds of adventurers you might like to be? My initial idea of area was west of Bree, maybe into the Blue Mountains.

I don't think I have the books, I may have 1E though. I'll have to check. Anyway, as for what adventures, I like wilderness stuff, mixed with saving villages/towns/people. (Mind you that saving doesn't have to be fighting, could serve to protect healer sorts as they cross the dangerous wildernes when a disease hit or something like that.)

The only way you are going to have 2E is by PDF. The books haven’t shipped yet from the Kickstarter. As long as you are familiar with at least first edition, you should be alright.

I'd be interested for sure. Who doesn't like PbP and elevenses?

Edit: All my stuff is 1E as well.

Edit 2: I'm up for anything, adventure-wise. Stomping about Middle Earth is all I ask. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
In 2E, the heroic cultures you can choose are:

• Bardings
• Dwarves of Durin’s Folk
• Elves of Lindon
• Hobbits of the Shire
• Men of Bree
• Rangers of the North

The callings you can choose are:

• Captain
• Champion
• Messenger
• Scholar
• Treasure Hunter
• Warden

Something to consider before we go much further.

Given the option I'd play a Ranger. This is the game that you play a Ranger in. Not that other game. Any Calling but Scholar really although I'd probably go with one of Captain, Champion or Warden if I were picking. Just off the top of my head anyway.

No rush. I just like to get everybody’s to think about how their characters got to where they are and how they might know each other.

No rush, I get it. That was just the first thing that popped into my head. TOR is very much about the Company, and there I'm a willow that bends in the breeze.:grin:

Edit: Using Bree as a starting point or home base would be awesome btw.

iu

I'm flexible on character choice but Bree and surroundings sounds awesome to me.

I’m easy to work with. Are we wanting a token member of each culture and calling, or is overlap fine?

If we're flexible on character maybe we can combine some campaign ideas/themes with thoughts on group composition and work it as a whole. IDK. It's a thought.

Yep, think about why your characters want to leave their homeland to adventure. The callings sort of give you a framework to hang your ideas on.

Quick 2E question, how do the 2E Rangers compare to the one's in the 1E Adventurer's Companion?

The quick and dirty precis (p 96-102) I was just generally curious how similar they were. If there are significant changes I won't bother farting around with my 1E version. :grin:

Cultural Blessing - Foresight trait
Specialties: Beast-lore, Fire-making, Herb-lore, Lore of Arnor, Smoking, Story-telling
Backgrounds: Herald, Counsellor, Dreamer of Portents, Keeper of Earth and Spirit, Solitary Vagabond, Kingly Voice

They also get 14 point for previous experience

The quick and dirty precis (p 96-102) I was just generally curious how similar they were. If there are significant changes I won't bother farting around with my 1E version. :grin:

Cultural Blessing - Foresight trait
Specialties: Beast-lore, Fire-making, Herb-lore, Lore of Arnor, Smoking, Story-telling
Backgrounds: Herald, Counsellor, Dreamer of Portents, Keeper of Earth and Spirit, Solitary Vagabond, Kingly Voice

They also get 14 point for previous experience
Yes it’s changed. There are two blessings now and there are no longer specialities and backgrounds.

Yes it’s changed. There are two blessings now and there are no longer specialities and backgrounds.
Huh. That's going to make Char Gen with the 1E books kind tough. We'll figure it out. :thumbsup:

One of the blessings let’s you add one point to any attribute and the other let’s you recover Hope every Fellowship phase up to one half your Heart rating. The rest of the cultures are skills and distinctive features.

I was going to buy 2E anyway at some point, so I'll probably do that, just maybe after I'm finished Christmas shopping.

It’s really nice. But we can do character creation without the book if you want.

An example Ranger would be:

AACD7255-5B6F-47AB-8B87-DBBC81B22488.jpeg
Name: Amlaith
Culture: Ranger of the North
Calling: Captain
Wisdom: 1; Valour: 1
Cultural Blessings: Kings of Men; Allegiance of the Dunedain.
Standard of Living: Frugal
Attributes: Strength 7, Heart 5, Wits 3
Derived Stats: Endurance 27, Hope 13, Parry 17
Skills: Awe 2, Athletics 2, Awareness 2, Hunting 2, Song 0, Craft 0; Enhearten 0, Travel 3, Insight 0, Healing 2, Courtesy 0, Battle 2; Persuade 1, Stealth 2, Scan 1, Explore 2, Riddle 0, Lore 2
Combat Proficiencies: Swords 2, Bows 2
Distinctive Features: Leadership, Secretive, Subtle
Virtues: Confidence
Shadow Path: Lure of Power
War Gear: Sword, Bow, Leather Corslet

I forgot to choose a Virtue! I will go with Confidence (raises Hope by 2 points). There are some very cool Cultural Virtues you can choose when your Wisdom improves. For example, one of the Ranger’s virtues is “Ways of the Wild”(Whenever you are making a roll using Explore, Hunting or Travel, you can spend 1 Hope to achieve a Magical success. Additionally, you are always allowed to cover more than one role during a journey.)

So I'm going to throw out some character concepts here, just to see how they might fit in with what other people are planning.

The intrepid and perhaps foolhardy explorer. Probably either a Barding or a Hobbit. Think Teddy Roosevelt with a short sword and less common sense. Or maybe Doctor Doppler from Treasure Planet. New horizons, new maps, more entries in his journal of herb lore, and a serious lack of caution in the face of danger.

The grizzled Dwarf prospector. He's been searching for a family legend in the Blue Mountains for years. He's made of oak and has seen it all, but he's actually quite cheery (for a dwarf), and hasn't let years of failure to find his Eldorado dim his enthusiasm. Baked beans a specialty. A lover of pipe weed and tall tales.

A secretive Ranger with a mission he doesn't doesn't want to talk about. Maybe it's a vision, or prophecy, who knows, but he's looking for something. Carries more books than most Rangers. Failure is not an option, even if he won't tell you why. He's maybe a touch young to be this serious.

A Gentle Hobbit of a certain age. Of Tookish decent he's been respectable and staid for many years, and has had quite enough of that, thank you very much. So he's packed up his pipe, his stout walking boots, and at least one handkerchief, and he's off to see what al this adventure malarkey is about. Perhaps Bree would be a good place to start.

I'm almost certainly not interested in playing an elf, and probably not a dwarf, although I'd consider the concept above in the right mix of PCs.

You can just make me an Elf of Lindon, I'll RP whatever :grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back