The One Ring

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Doing my daily check in to see if anyone has any questions or comments or ideas!

Is this the sort of game where we'd all have some idea what the campaign was about before Char Gen? I don't care, particularly, but it would help focus ideas for characters I suspect.

Is this the sort of game where we'd all have some idea what the campaign was about before Char Gen? I don't care, particularly, but it would help focus ideas for characters I suspect.
Indeed this might make some sense, although we were asked for input.
Sadly I do only have 1E. Maybe I'll get a gift card for Christmas.

Bree and the Blue Mountains were mentioned. I'm down with both. Someone mentioned that elements of protectIng the innocent and/or a village was something they might like. Personally, exploration and the hunt for lost lore would be cool. Those could all fit together somehow. If everyone tosses something in we should have a good idea what sort pf campaign we're looking at.

I have a vague idea for what to do but I figured I’d ask you guys what you might like to see to maybe help me get some more ideas.

I have a vague idea for what to do but I figured I’d ask you guys what you might like to see to maybe help me get some more ideas.
Bree and the Blue Mountains were mentioned. I'm down with both. Someone mentioned that elements of protectIng the innocent and/or a village was something they might like. Personally, exploration and the hunt for lost lore would be cool. Those could all fit together somehow. If everyone tosses something in we should have a good idea what sort pf campaign we're looking at.
I like this really, perhaps a village or two, and some place we can seek lost lore? Protect that lore and the villages once found?

I like this really, perhaps a village or two, and some place we can seek lost lore? Protect that lore and the villages once found?
Protect the lore, deliver the lore, master the lore, sell the lore on the dark web. Lots of options. Perhaps there's some sort of peril that threatens both our search and the village? It works for me a broad idea though, for sure. Plus it lets us stomp about in a lesser known part of middle earth. The only hiccup there is that Bree is clear on the other side of the Shire from the Blue Mountains, but that's what journeys are for.

Edit: Belay that last thought. The distance isn't an issue at all. This is what happens when I try to make meatballs and read maps at the same time.

Had some time to go through the book and think of ideas. I think I'll play a character who falls into adventure more than made for adventure. Here are some options:

Ruby (Hobbit messenger) has an uncle who was a sheriff and she wants to fall in his footsteps. However she needs to make her mark and gain some respect. So, she decides to try her hand at this adventuring thing and travels to the bustling town of Bree. She's a bit out of her depth as police work in Hobbiton is mainly a manner of settling disputes between neighbors.

Herb (Man of Bree Treasure Hunter) has worked at the Prancing Pony for over a decade. He has decided to stop just hearing about juicy rumors and start acting on them before his life passes him by.

Hepti (Dwarven scholar) is a crafter in the Blue Mountains whose work depends on a rare material (crystal, species of wood, type of stone, whatever works for the story). His source has dried up for over a year and he is worried that his craft may soon pass into history. He decides to track down the source and has gotten as far as Bree.

If someone has the book, and would like to help me make a character I'd appreciate it :grin:

You said Elf, right? First thing is to pick you ability scores:
1639968805668.png

Your starting skills ( you get a few points to modify them) are:
1639969043288.png

Note that three columns of skills correspond to the three attributes - that might affect which attributes you choose.

There are also 4 weapon categories: axes, bows, spears, swords. Elves get level 2 in either bows or spears (pick) and level 1 on any of the other 3.

Lastly, features: Choose two Distinctive Features among those listed: Fair, Keen-eyed, Lordly, Merry, Patient, Subtle, Swift, Wary

That gets you through decisions to make based on race (stuff where you get no choice I didn't list but it will be on the character sheet. We'll handle calling in the next post. The calling options are listed above in this thread.

Last edited:
A ranger, right?

Your attribute options:

1640005844524.png

Your starting skills

1640005876467.png

For combat, you get level 2 in spears or swords and level 1 in anything else. (Every race follows this pattern.)

DISTINCTIVE FEATURES Choose two Distinctive Features among those listed: Bold, Honourable, Secretive, Stern, Subtle, Swift, Tall, True-hearted.

Note that three columns of skills correspond to the three attributes - that might affect which attributes you choose.

There are also 4 weapon categories: axes, bows, spears, swords. Elves get level 2 in either bows or spears (pick) and level 1 on any of the other 3.

Lastly, features: Choose two Distinctive Features among those listed: Fair, Keen-eyed, Lordly, Merry, Patient, Subtle, Swift, Wary

That gets you through decisions to make based on race (stuff where you get no choice I didn't list but it will be on the character sheet. We'll handle calling in the next post. The calling options are listed above in this thread.
Thank you so much! (Rolled a 4)
Strength 4 Heart 4 Wits 6
Awe 2
Athletics 2
Awareness 2
Hunting 0
Song 2
Craft 2
Enhearten 1
Travel 0
Insight 0
Healing 1
Courtesy 0
Battle 0
Persuade 0
Stealth 3
Scan 0
Explore 0
Riddle 3
Features: Subtle, Swift

Weapons: Spears 2, Axes 1 (Sadly no maces?)

Sadly no maces?
Canonically this takes place in an era and area where heavy plate isn't really the armour of choice so I guess alongside that, maces aren't common-place either?

Aethelred son of Eadwulf, also called Oath-Keeper
Ranger of the North, Captain

Strength: 6 / Heart: 4 / Wits: 4

Awe: 1 / Enhearten: 0 / Persuade: 2
Athletics: 2 / Travel: 2 / Stealth: 2
Awareness: 2 / Insight: 0 / Scan: 1
Hunting: 3 / Healing: 2 / Explore: 2
Song: 0 / Courtesy: 1 / Riddle: 0
Craft: 0 / Battle: 3 / Lore: 2

Distinctive Features: Bold, True-Hearted

Virtue: tbd

Swords: 2 / Bows: 1

Reward: Close-Fitting Leather Corslet

Endurance: 26 / Hope: 10 / Parry: 18

Edited to reflect some options presented downstream.

Last edited:
Using a mace would be considered the same as using an unarmed attack or a club I believe. There’s a rule on that.

Hmm, OK, what would a Ranger look like..

Awe: 1 / Enhearten: 0 / Persuade: 0
Hunting: 2 / Healing: 2 / Explore: 2
Song: 0 / Courtesy: 0 / Riddle: 0
Craft: 0 / Battle: 2 / Lore: 2

Swords: 2 / Bow: 1

I think I like it. The same concept would also work as a Barding. I'll roll with this for the nonce though. (edit- I changed the stats a little)

Edit 2: The concept I'm working with here can range(heh) in combat ability without much bother, which is a toggle I'll fiddle with when we have a better idea of what the entire Fellowship looks like.
Have an idea of which calling you might like to take?

Endless Flight Endless Flight would posting a link with the 3 pages on callings fall enough under fair use to you or would that be too close piracy for your taste? I could post just the 3 skills that you pick from for the chosen callings.

Have an idea of which calling you might like to take?
Again, the concept I have fits a bunch of builds. I'd happily go Captain to start, but there are other options I can shift to. Ill say Captain just to keep the ball rolling here.

Callings just give a small tweak - you get a shadow path, a distinctive feature and 2 favored skills.
For captain, Choose two Skills among BATTLE, ENHEARTEN, and PERSUADE .

If you were and elf considering
scholar :Choose two Skills among CRAFT, LORE, and RIDDLE
or warden: Choose two Skills among AWARENESS, HEALING, and INSIGHT and mark them as Favoured.

Then you get 10 points to improve skills:
1640053283037.png

For equipment, travelling gear is assumed without listing it. You get one weapon from each weapon class you're skilled in.

For armor, I'm not clear, it says "and their favoured selection of armour, helms, or shields." Does that mean you get just one of the three?

When you choose the two skills in your calling, that is to make them favoured as well.

Hmm. So I'd go favored in Battle and Persuade.

3 Points to up Persuade to 2 from 0
3 points to up Battle to 3 from 2
3 points to up Hunting to 3 from 2
1 point to up Enhearten to 1 from 0

That seems keen.

Last things, everyone gets one reward and one virtue at start.

1640057468536.png

Everyone also gets 1-3 useful items. Dirty tree huggers like elves and rangers get only 1. Use items are non-combat gear that, in the right circumstances, add one die to rolls for a particular skill. Like a container of balm for healing, a sweet skinning knife for hunting, rope and grappling hook for athletics rolls where it would apply, pretty much anything.

What are the Endurance and Hope starting values and whatnot for Rangers? It may change my alter my thoughts on which Virtue to take. I haven't decided on a fancy item yet either.

Edit: Also, what does the 'TN' in the description of Prowess mean?

TN=Target number, which is 20 minus the attribute score - higher attributes means easier to make rolls. I think this and the derived stats are the only things the attributes actually do. Not counting special marks on the dice, the core mechanic is roll a d12 plus a number of d6's equal to your skill level and try to have equal or greater than the TN. Favoured skills do the same thing but you roll 2d12 and take the higher one.

For rangers:
endurance=strength+20
hope=heart+6
parry=wits+14

TN=Target number, which is 20 minus the attribute score - higher attributes means easier to make rolls. I think this and the derived stats are the only things the attributes actually do. Not counting special marks on the dice, the core mechanic is roll a d12 plus a number of d6's equal to your skill level and try to have equal or greater than the TN. Favoured skills do the same thing but you roll 2d12 and take the higher one.

For rangers:
endurance=strength+20
hope=heart+6
parry=wits+14
Thanks! Is that Parry number particularly high compared to some of the others?

I see now why prowess is reduce TN by one and not add one to the attribute. Otherwise no one would bother taking +1 Parry.

Edit: Is there supposed to be a favored skill as part of the lineage choice, making for three total? I only ask because the exemplar ranger on the previous page had three (I believe).

Your lineage favoured skill is hunting or lore.

Everyone else has a parry of Wits+10 or Wits+12. This partially evened out by Rangers being a bit slow witted.

Aethelred son of Eadwulf, also called Oath-Keeper
Ranger of the North, Captain

Awe: 1 / Enhearten: 0 / Persuade: 2
Hunting: 3 / Healing: 2 / Explore: 2
Song: 0 / Courtesy: 1 / Riddle: 0
Craft: 0 / Battle: 3 / Lore: 2

Virtue: Confidence (+2 Hope)

Combat Skills: Swords: 2 / Bows: 1

Reward: Close-Fitting Leather Corslet (+2 Protection)

Endurance: 26 / Hope: 12 / Parry: 18 (20)

Gear: Sword (2), Bow (1), Shield (3), Leather Cap (2), Leather Corslet (8)

Useful Items: tbd

Fatigue: 16

Background: WiP

Last edited:
Parry is only used by PCs when defending. When the PCs attack an NPC, they use the TN of Strength as the base difficulty number.

Parry is only used by PCs when defending. When the PCs attack an NPC, they use the TN of Strength as the base difficulty number.
You mean I can't Parry people in the face? :shade:

Actually that reminds me of 1E WEG Star Wars where a starting Jedi was usually unable to actually hit anything with their lightsaber, at least to start, but could parry the shit out of people.

Alright I like both so I'll let a die decide and it says Scholar

Celebrawhir

Strength 4 Heart 4 Wits 6

Awe 2/Athletics 2/Awareness 2/ Song 2/Craft 2/Hunting 1
Enhearten 1/ Insight 1/Healing 1 (2 SP)
Stealth 3/ Explore 1/Lore 3 (F) /Riddle 2 (F ) (4 sp)

Combat Skill: Spears 2, Axes 2 (4 SP)

Virtue: Prowess (Strength)

Features: Subtle, Swift

Reward: Keen Axe
Gear: Not sure--what can I have?
Useful Item: Ivory Horn

Endurance/Hope/Parry: ??

I think you need some pointy shoes. Long and pointy. In a sage green perhaps...

My wife would refer to that joke as Midwestern humor, although I’ve lived in New Hampshire for the last twenty years.

I grabbed that, thanks. I'm going to tinker a little with my character I think. One because some of the bits aren't 2E yet, and two because I can!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back