The Pet Thread!

tenbones

Grand Poobah of the D.O.N.G.
Reaction score
Okay - show us your family pets! You know you want to. Or show us a pet you'd like to bring into your family. It's a general pet-thread!

My wife and I are volunteers for the Greyhound Adoption League of Texas - basically we're advocates for rescuing all those Greyhounds from racing tracks as they, thankfully, begin to close around the country. I *highly* recommend Greyhounds as family dogs (as long as you have a decent yard) - they're the laziest animals on earth, until they want to play - in which case they'll run like cheetah on the Serengeti at shocking speed for 5 minutes, then sleep for 10-hrs. They're the fastest couch-potatoes on the planet.

This is Navi - she's a former Coyote hunter. Even now... she keeps her single-radar dish up at all times on the alert for the possibility of a werewolf attack, or a snack-situation to develop. If she were playing card - she's the Joker.

This is Inara. She's the Princess. She's a former racer. Now she's royalty. She has the powers of mind-control.

This is Barnabus Aloysius Maximillian. He's a big baby. Barely three. This guy was thrown out of the back of a truck as a puppy and was living like a feral wolf in the wilds of West Texas for the first two years of his life. His best friend was a skunk and they lived together in this deep hole he dug and the skunk dug out beneath a big Mesquite tree. Locals thought he was a wolf... but in actuality he's a big-ass Staghound. He was terrified of humans... until he joined our pack. Now he's a giant snuggly assistant editor. He also smiles when he's upside down. The only thing he'll attack are flies. So yeah... he'd hurt a fly. Nothing else.

So show us your babies!

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
@tenbones My mother rescued a Greyhound she found wandering around Huntington Beach; the dog had some crazy irrational fears and almost certainly was badly abused but grew to become a wonderful companion for my mother.

Our lease doesn't allow pets but the wife and I feed a poor mangled kitten; he's in bad shape with a milky eye, matted fur, and no hair on his tail. I don't know what happened to him but he's absolutely terrified of humans. If I get anywhere near him he bolts.
20190711_154858.jpeg

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
This is Murphy. A friend who works with cat rescue describes black and white cats as "usually placid". Not this one. Our vet has diagnosed her with an anxiety disorder. This pic may actually have been the last time she was able to relax enough to curl up on my lap to take a nap. We had her on kitty prozac for a while, but the process of getting the pills into her was stressful enough to counteract the good it was doing her. Now she sleeps most of the time and seems happier for it.

murphy relaxed.jpg

Behold Cat, the most dignified of creatures. This is Isaac, who loves bellyrubs and chewing All The Things. He also sneaks under the covers of the bed at night to cuddle up against my girlfriend's back and complain loudly if I breathe in his face.

isaac sprawled.jpg

This is the best photo I have of Pixie, who only has two speeds. She's a Cornish Rex, which makes her half cat and half alien. She likes to play fetch and bite things that surprise her. It's winter here at the moment, so her favourite spot to be is inside GF's jacket while she sits on the couch under the heater. Her favourite food is What You're Eating and her subject of interest is What You're Looking At.

Pixie scaled.jpg

Raleel

Not actually a Mythras sales bot
Reaction score
We are currently without pets. For virtually all my life I had pets, dogs and cats and even a parakeet. But none by my choice, and I ended up being the one that did a lot of the care taking. I told my wife I got to pick the next one even if the next one meant none.

I expect I’ll cave if she stops working and get a couple of dogs. But in the meantime, I’m enjoying my moment of selfishness :smile:

tenbones

Grand Poobah of the D.O.N.G.
Reaction score
We are currently without pets. For virtually all my life I had pets, dogs and cats and even a parakeet. But none by my choice, and I ended up being the one that did a lot of the care taking. I told my wife I got to pick the next one even if the next one meant none.

I expect I’ll cave if she stops working and get a couple of dogs. But in the meantime, I’m enjoying my moment of selfishness :smile:
I hear you. I used to have pets my entire life. Mostly dogs, but I've had parrots*, raised koi, cats, a gerbil. Girlfriends that had snakes, iguanas. But I spent almost two-decades petless (well not true on second thought. I had hermit crabs with my son for most of his childhood... but whatever).

Owning a pet is a huge responsibility.

So when we got into advocacy for greyhounds, we thought we'd cheat by being just a foster home. We thought we'd just get the best of both worlds. TOTAL FAILURE. We fell in love with our first dog approximately .02 seconds after meeting her. Then we immediately said "She needs a friend!" then got Inara within a couple of months. And we kept fostering so we rotated a third slot. But eventually we failed there too when we found Barnabus. There's a lady in our organization that warned us about "foster failing" with greys. She never intended to ever have any pet dogs. Now she has six greyhounds laying around her house.

I still wanna do some beekeeping someday.

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
We are currently without pets. For virtually all my life I had pets, dogs and cats and even a parakeet. But none by my choice, and I ended up being the one that did a lot of the care taking.
I hear that. Getting cats wasn't my idea, and she offered to be the one to clean the litter trays as an incentive to agree, but somehow I'm the one scooping crap every day.

So when we got into advocacy for greyhounds, we thought we'd cheat by being just a foster home.
I have a friend who got into fostering sick kittens for the SPCA that needed quarantine and treatment. He still has one of the first because even though she was completely healthy at the end of the quarantine period, every time she saw the SPCA vet, she would sneeze in his face.

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
she's GORGEOUS!!!!!!
Thank you. We still have some behavioral issues, due to her past abuse, but she's loving as all get out. Her biggest problems are her need to jump up on people to show them love, and still fighting potty training, which has never been this hard with another dog. Ever. Mind you my last rescue was trained, and wonderful, and my previous Great Dane got it after one really simple lesson---only had an accident once (when we moved and she no longer knew what was "good potty place" and once she got it, it stayed. At least until she got ill and I cannot say it was lack of brilliance on her part or bad training at any time.)

3rik

invidus es nostris quoniam tu talia nescis
Reaction score
We had pets during most of my youth. Usually one cat (all cats we owned were called Spikkie), but also a parakeet when I was very young and a varying number of gerbils, all of which remained unnamed.

As a kid I used to walk a German shepard called Prins, owned by a farmer (Mr. Spek, which translates to Mr. Bacon) who lived near my grandparents. I couldn't understand a word of the farmer's heavy dialect, I just came over to pick up the dog for a walk. (He also had the habit of chewing tobacco, which sure didn't improve intelligibility.)

I'm mostly more of a cat person than a dog person, though. We plan to own a cat again someday. The house we currently live in isn't fit for keeping pets but once we find a new house we'll seriously consider it.

I'd also love to keep an iguana, either a desert iguana (Dipsosaurus dorsalis) or a chuckwalla (genus Sauromalus).

Last edited:

Rich Harkrader

Bearded Dagon
Reaction score
This little derp is my best buddy Samson. His bed is under my mini painting desk. He comes up to my office and hangs out with me once my wife goes to bed. He is about to turn 11. We adopted him when he was 9 months old.

With me pre-beard.

This is our family's other dog Max, who loves my wife and son, but barely tolerates me. We adopted him almost 2 years ago now. He turns 10 in Oct. He had a hard life previously and was obviously abused. He's scared of pretty much everything.

The two of them enjoying the fire.

Dafuq you want, man?!?

Chillaxing