The Pet Thread!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I was out walking my dog today, and we were threatened very vociferously by a masked plover that was defending a small clutch of eggs that were resting on the grass verge of the street only a little way from the curb. I hope things go well when the householder next mows his lawn.

IMG_0621.jpeg

20220909_204634.jpg
Following our folk tradition I keep pigs. Granted, those are Guinea pigs...but it still counts:thumbsup:!

Three out of four were rescued by adoption. Their former owners (two different families) couldn't take care of them any more, so their livelihoods were threatened. We adopted them basically for free. Which means that Leia is the daughter of Ashoka...and Jenny is the hairy one.
The fourth we bought, for reasons that aren't clear to me to this day, though I stll like the little Chewy. He's the only boy among them, but we keep them in separate cages to avoid having to give away lots of Guinea piglets.
Well, we might get them together some day...when we have the time to deal with presenting Guinea piglets for adoption. Chewy deserves his chance, too:angel:!

BTW, I was wondering why they call the poor rodents "pigs"...until I got to know their habits. Yeah, pigs is fine!

My daughter got a Hedgehog (African Pygmy). She really, really loves bathtime -- it's the only time she isn't a hissing little prickleball when touched.

Attachments

• Resized_20220907_200429.jpeg
    Resized_20220907_200429.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
My daughter got a Hedgehog (African Pygmy). She really, really loves bathtime -- it's the only time she isn't a hissing little prickleball when touched.
As a species we seem determined to make pets of things that want nothing to do with us. I'm pretty sure the first interstellar war will be started by an incident of non-consensual scritchies.

New Member of the family!
This is Finely (Potential name change possibly pending).
He's a rescue from the local pound. Apparently his previous owners left him locked in an apartment with an empty food and water dish when they moved out, so now he's got a new home!
He's super quiet and generally affectionate.
Once he's settled in for a couple weeks we're going to get a second dog.
IMG_20221114_135207410.jpg

IMG_20221114_150142.jpg

We rescued a second dog, former name Princess Lady, now changed to Frankie! She's a real sweetheart but boy howdy has her induction into the family been rough. Finn, our earlier rescue, was not happy about having to share everything with a new dog and they would regularly fight with each other the first couple days. Additionally Farnkie is much younger than Finn and has far less training, including not being potty trained, so she has to stay in a crate at night. We also have to watch her whenever food is left out, as she will easily jump up on counters or tables and eat it, and she chews on everything, to the point of shredding most toys we give her (including a Kong!).
When we originally got Finn he had Giardia and we had to give him liquid medication by mouth via a syringe to get rid of it. Low and behold Frankie also has Giardia, and has likely given it to Finn again because they share a water dish. To top it all off Frankie has a UTI, so she's drinking lots of water and peeing a lot, meaning we have to watch her constantly to ensure she doesn't pee in the house.
Feeding has been a pain, as both dogs get territorial about food and have taken to gorging every single kibble they can get as fast as they can. So they're fed separately and we've had to start forcing them to slow down by using a couple mouth wash bottles attached to paper towel rolls as impromptu funnels, and slowly put food in their bowls.
It's a lot like having a couple of toddlers, my friends with kids are laughing at my suffering.
Finn's gotten more anxious about other people and taken to barking at the mailmen, snowplows, garbage trucks, joggers, old ladies UPS and Fedex. Before Frankie he only barked at UPS and Fedex (common sights due to some neighbors that are constantly having things delivered).

It's been about 2 weeks since we got Frankie and she's finally settling in, Finn and her are getting along much better now, including lots of bitey face. Finn's even being less possessive of his toys.
IMG_20221210_100411265.jpgIMG_20221210_221755632.jpgIMG_20221216_120916549.jpgIMG_20221216_110422903.jpgIMG_20221221_100314214.jpgIMG_20221221_101102657.jpgIMG_20221219_154550987.jpgIMG_20221217_110726825.jpg

So after some years of being pet free, we are getting a kitten in a week or so. Sadly, the kitten will be in Norway and I am not, and I am by an order of magnitude the biggest cat person in my family. For the last couple of weeks I have been referring to the KITTEN in all caps, but I won't actually get to see the kitten until sometime this summer.

I have no clue. Someone took it and filled it with stuff.

cat.jpg
Pounce, helping me work from home.

I've had to buy a tray to put over the keyboard to stop her from pressing the power button, helpfully placed on the top rather than the side or back.

I've had to buy a tray to put over the keyboard to stop her from pressing the power button, helpfully placed on the top rather than the side or back.
Our cat had a habit, for a while, of sleeping on my desktop's tower, which had the power button on the top. There's now a thick piece of card covering the button.

IMG_0161.JPG

Yes, that's the fruit basket on the dining table.

I took Percy to the beach this morning, and boy are my arms tired! His taste in sticks remains as impractical as ever. But he went hard for half an hour retrieving this one out of the surf, which is pretty good going for an old bloke.

IMG_0895.jpeg

I'm arguing with the wife about the proper way to care about guinea pigs. The seller in the animal shop told us we're supposed to clean the cages once/week, so they could learn to defecate in the proper place (the other days, she said, you just sweep the waste to the proper place).
Nah, the wife - who's never had a guinea pig, just dogs - obviously knows better* then her and better than me:grin:!
So she's cleaning the cage daily - and the pigs, like proper pigs (as the name suggests, despite them being obvious rodents:thumbsup:) are shitting all over their place. Hey, why not?
"The power of names" is obviously at work:tongue:!

*Let's just say, this is a trend with her:shade:.

I'm arguing with the wife about the proper way to care about guinea pigs. The seller in the animal shop told us we're supposed to clean the cages once/week, so they could learn to defecate in the proper place (the other days, she said, you just sweep the waste to the proper place).
Nah, the wife - who's never had a guinea pig, just dogs - obviously knows better* then her and better than me:grin:!
So she's cleaning the cage daily - and the pigs, like proper pigs (as the name suggests, despite them being obvious rodents:thumbsup:) are shitting all over their place. Hey, why not?
"The power of names" is obviously at work:tongue:!

*Let's just say, this is a trend with her:shade:.
Have you considered...

Or...

1684518371508.png

Have you considered...

Or...

View attachment 61021
Actually yes, I have...:shade:

She works from home, though, so there's never enough time. Besides, the fatty furballs aren't responsible for her...let's say, "peculiarities":thumbsup:.

If you have a cat or cats, and the guinea pigs' cage is less than 100% secure, the problem is likely to resolve itself.
Alas, I'm allergic* to felines and canines alike. Otherwise we'd be having a cat and/or a dog, and no guinea pig would have entered the house:shade:.
Yes, the rodents are substitute fur balls for the actual furball that the kids wanted:thumbsup:.

*I'm basically allergic to all kinds of fur. My allergy to rodents is merely weaker, but since one of my meds basically has weak anti-allergic properties, I'm dealing with them:grin:!

P.S.: On the bright side, guys, 1) the kids like the rodents and 2) the recipes are still upthread:tongue:!

Last edited:
My wife and youngest have been sleeping in the living room while the bedroom gets painted. Nemo (pictured melting above) has taken to climbing up the curtains and then launching himself onto my wife's head in the wee hours of the morning. I have to work hard to disguise how hilarious I think that is.

My wife and youngest have been sleeping in the living room while the bedroom gets painted. Nemo (pictured melting above) has taken to climbing up the curtains and then launching himself onto my wife's head in the wee hours of the morning. I have to work hard to disguise how hilarious I think that is.

__a5f75fd7f6ae3b9c09743bdd22be30db_width-600.jpeg

I need to remember: if I play an Aslan in Traveller, name him Nemo and make at least one grapple attack with Melee (Unarmed) from an elevated position, preferably while screaming "Death From Above, Bitches"...:grin:
Extra point if he's attacking some Vargr group:shade:.

It has begun.
20230609_211640.jpg
The cats' gonna shit a brick when it's time.

Maybe. There's thee of the fuzz butts, two are pretty laid back and two can be bribed. It also depends on who fits. The tuxes started as twin kittens but lard ass is 14 pounds and nut bar is 11.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back