The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm having a rest day due to sore muscles in my stomach area. No, really, it's not going to be like the last rest day:grin:!

The Rain continues on and off, which is unseasonable. We had thunder and lightning last night, which should never happen during our winter. I am just glad we are getting some dry periods so that the water can soak down into the soil. Otherwise, we could have mudslides down the hills/ mountains, as top layer soil slides down on the harder lower layers as pads of mud. Needless to say, I am not trusting there will be a 45 minute gap of no precipitation.

I did a 20 minute elliptical sprint about noon. I will do another later tonight.

I did six loops tonight. Not because I could not do more. I forgot daylight savings. Got out at a good time, but then it went dark in those 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've gotten back to light (like really light, 10lb dumbbells) upper body workouts this week. My knee still won't tolerate much more weight right now. I am doing ice pack and then stretches for the knee, which both loves and hates that at the same time. Seems like the more of them I do, the less crunchy noises I hear from my repaired knee. I'm hoping that's a good omen...

I started to cough yesterday. My suspicions are that my rest days might multiply:shade:.

My back hurt last night when I went for my long walk, but I pushed through it. Hurting worse today, so I think I'm taking the day off.

Well I guess even if my back is a bit twinged, I am not taking a by day.

I did 15 loops today. It is cold, but I waited until it warmed slightly. It has not been raining for the last two hours and seems not to start again soon.

I did 10 loops tonight before it started getting dark. I could of done more, but I was feeling my BP. So, best not to chance it.

Last edited:
Benched 105 lbs again. 3 sets: 6 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps. Also did a few other exercises.

I've slacked off a bit on running lately. This Saturday, I need to do half-marathon distance for a challenge my dad & I are doing. I know I'm not in shape to run an entire half-marathon right now. So my tentative plan, which I will adjust on the fly as needed: Run miles 1-3; walk mile 4; run miles 5-7; walk mile 8; run miles 9-11; walk mile 12; run the last 1.1 miles to get to the 13.1 mile total.

Just great. My cough is getting worse, if anything...
I guess "carrying First Daughter on the stairs to the hospital and back" is going to have to count for my fitness today (her ankle hurts due to a misstep, and I didn't want to make her walk the stairs).

Back is still hurting, but at least I know why, I think. Set my sleep number bed to 100 to make it, and adjusted the wrong side afterwards, so been sleeping on it at 100.

Back is still hurting, but at least I know why, I think. Set my sleep number bed to 100 to make it, and adjusted the wrong side afterwards, so been sleeping on it at 100.
I had to google what a sleep number bed is, and the only thing I understood is that it's (probably) some kind of smart bed:shade:.

Today is a by day. So nothing in the morning (which is good because it was colder than every other morning this week - which have been near record breaking). Tonight's/ tomorrow's Low will be record breaking.

This afternoon, in the heat of the day **cough cough**, which was the same as the low two weeks ago, I went out and did 15 loops. (1.5 miles/2.4km with fifteen elevation changes of 150 feet / 45M up and down).

Lol, my wife did that a few times, as I also like to crank both sides up to 100 after washing the sheets to get the mattress to stretch out again. 100 is like sleeping on concrete!

Lol, my wife did that a few times, as I also like to crank both sides up to 100 after washing the sheets to get the mattress to stretch out again. 100 is like sleeping on concrete!

After making the bed, my wife accidentally reverse our switches (2 sided version). So she could never get comfortable, as I was set to 75. And she eventually sank me to 20. (I realized it was wrong and... we switched it back.)

This morning (late) was 12 loops with proper back and core positioning.

Okay. Tonight, I only did 8 loops. However, it was 8 loops with a new exercise. Because I don't have a physical therapist to torture me, I need to find new ways to do it. So you start out with a walk and swing your arms. Your forward swing must make your hand equal in height to your shoulders.

Okay after you get the hang of that, you twist your trunk as you do it. Ideally, you should twist 90 degrees at the waist (but 80ish seems okay). Your arm should be pointing in that 90 degree direction. As you swing your arm down, you twist the trunk back to forward as your hand goes to your side. Then you do the other side. Continue on. It seems like each arm swing ends up being two or three steps.

Ideally, you should hold your position and your arm out for like 3ish seconds. If you need a bit of a rest, you either swing your arms up and down OR turn your waist with every set of steps.

This ends up being very tiring. We will see how my flank and back feel tomorrow if we do it every time or just one time a walk.

Last edited:
I had to google what a sleep number bed is, and the only thing I understood is that it's (probably) some kind of smart bed:shade:.
Mine isn't smart (some are), but it's basically just a super air mattress with all of the good things (the ability to adjust the softness) with none of the bad things (leakage, easy puncturing) so you can get it as hard or as soft as you want.

Back is feeling better, but babying my back, I hurt my ankle. Taking another rest day, but back at it tomorrow!

So what kind of Yoga is for someone who ruptured the L5-S1, L4-L5, and L3-L4 discs and who is about as flexible as The Thing?

DDP Yoga

I've used it myself, many times, over the years. It was designed by pro wrestler Diamond Dallas Page after he used yoga to rehab a broken back (his wife at the time was big into yoga).

His program is built on yoga, calisthenics and physical rehab techniques. Encourages lots of modifications if you're working from injury or even morbid obesity until you can do the workouts properly. Their app even has workouts that start you off sitting in a chair if you need them.

I'm a huge fan of the program. Nothing in my life has helped me manage pain better than this.

I'm currently doing a thing called the Conqueror Challenge.

Specifically, I signed up for their Lord of the Rings challenge, which is walking the steps from Bag End to Mount Doom.

I covered 145 miles (Bag End to Bree) in 30 days and now I'm going from Bree to Rivendell to Moria (680 miles) and attempting that in 45 days (this time with a combination of walking and biking). I'm aiming for walking 5 per day and biking 10 per day, but kids and work and lack of daylight sometimes hinder the walking, so I'm biking two miles for every one I can't walk during the day (doing my walking outside but using a stationary bike inside).

I did 12 loops with four of them doing the twist and arm exercise. I will try to get something going later, but discovered some latent soreness while doing it. So most of the loops were just done with proper position and core strengthening.

DDP Yoga

I've used it myself, many times, over the years. It was designed by pro wrestler Diamond Dallas Page after he used yoga to rehab a broken back (his wife at the time was big into yoga).

His program is built on yoga, calisthenics and physical rehab techniques. Encourages lots of modifications if you're working from injury or even morbid obesity until you can do the workouts properly. Their app even has workouts that start you off sitting in a chair if you need them.

I'm a huge fan of the program. Nothing in my life has helped me manage pain better than this.
...I should probably take a note as well:thumbsup:!

Also, chuckdee chuckdee thank you for explaining the bed issue!

Last edited:
...I should probably take a note as well:thumbsup:!

Also, chuckdee chuckdee thank you for explaining the bed issue!
I give it a full and unreserved endorsement.

Literally the only downside to it is that it's built off dynamic resistance - which means that you provide the resistance - so you will get out of it what you put into it. Meaning you can go through the motions half-assed and not feel like it's helping, but if you engage your muscles as you go, you'll get a workout and feel the difference.

I give it a full and unreserved endorsement.

Literally the only downside to it is that it's built off dynamic resistance - which means that you provide the resistance - so you will get out of it what you put into it. Meaning you can go through the motions half-assed and not feel like it's helping, but if you engage your muscles as you go, you'll get a workout and feel the difference.
At first, I thought that you are talking about the bed:grin:! So I was about to reply something like "are you sleeping or are you exercising here...oh wait..."

I'll keep the endorsement in mind, but I'm not sure how much use I'd have about it, so if you could answer a couple questions, I'd appreciate it:thumbsup:.

First of all, can DDP yoga help with asymmetric issues? Like, I have an already planned operation of the shoulder this month. I'd need something that can help me exercise, preferably with more stretching, but without using my right, dominant hand (even for support, from what I can tell:shade:). So I'd have to exercise with a three-limbed body for a while.
Related to that, what's it going for? Strength, or strength and flexibility? I doubt that you can get a "flexibility-only" program, though some are coming close - but then those wouldn't be any help for a recovering wrestler, which it was said that the program was developed for (and by)....
Come to think of it, I am actually exactly that, myself, since I switched to practicing a grappling style:shock:! So this might be a God-send!

It's funny how things go. Skipping the boring reflexions on my autobiographyif it wasn't for the kids, I might have never made the transition which turned me into, basically, a recovering wrestler focused on ground grappling - and basically I just realized that this is exactly the case:gunslinger:!

I did get my 13.1 mile mixed walk-run in yesterday. Still tired from it today, and my feet are sore, but I got it done.
Magnesium is your friend:thumbsup:!

Back into walking today... 4 miles easy and it felt good.
That's how it all starts...then you get to half-marathons and start looking at a triathlon course:grin:!

Today was 15 loops with proper core positioning. I really should do some other exercises besides walking, but....

And in the late afternoon, I did another 15 loops with proper core positioning. 30 laps total is a new record.

Last edited:
Today was 15 loops with proper core positioning. I really should do some other exercises besides walking, but....
Don't underestimate walking, man...it can be much more strenuous than it's given credit for:thumbsup:!

Also, the first English boxers had "brisk walks" as part of their regimens, so you're in good company:grin:!

At first, I thought that you are talking about the bed:grin:! So I was about to reply something like "are you sleeping or are you exercising here...oh wait..."

I'll keep the endorsement in mind, but I'm not sure how much use I'd have about it, so if you could answer a couple questions, I'd appreciate it:thumbsup:.

First of all, can DDP yoga help with asymmetric issues? Like, I have an already planned operation of the shoulder this month. I'd need something that can help me exercise, preferably with more stretching, but without using my right, dominant hand (even for support, from what I can tell:shade:). So I'd have to exercise with a three-limbed body for a while.
Related to that, what's it going for? Strength, or strength and flexibility? I doubt that you can get a "flexibility-only" program, though some are coming close - but then those wouldn't be any help for a recovering wrestler, which it was said that the program was developed for (and by)....
Come to think of it, I am actually exactly that, myself, since I switched to practicing a grappling style:shock:! So this might be a God-send!

It's funny how things go. Skipping the boring reflexions on my autobiographyif it wasn't for the kids, I might have never made the transition which turned me into, basically, a recovering wrestler focused on ground grappling - and basically I just realized that this is exactly the case:gunslinger:!
It's about strength and flexibility both. It's keeping you moving - in all directions - as you get older.

And it's all about modifications, outright encouraging them, for cases such as injury. All the workouts have suggestions for modifications but obviously everyone and their situation is different, so they can't cover every possible scenario at once.

It's about strength and flexibility both. It's keeping you moving - in all directions - as you get older.

And it's all about modifications, outright encouraging them, for cases such as injury. All the workouts have suggestions for modifications but obviously everyone and their situation is different, so they can't cover every possible scenario at once.
Cool, it's probably going to work then. I should at least try it, and I have a bigger "yoga mat" at home than most people that I know...:grin:
(It's actually a wrestling mat, 8 cm thick:tongue:).

So any idea what products would get me the most bang for my buck? I need to focus in hips and legs flexibility until recovery...or should I go for the app:shade:?

Cool, it's probably going to work then. I should at least try it, and I have a bigger "yoga mat" at home than most people that I know...:grin:
(It's actually a wrestling mat, 8 cm thick:tongue:).

So any idea what products would get me the most bang for my buck? I need to focus in hips and legs flexibility until recovery...or should I go for the app:shade:?
The app has the full run of workouts and is constantly updated with new ones. Plus some recipes if you need help with healthier eating. Hard not to recommend that. (Plus you can sign up for a trial just to see if it works for you.)

I was a bit sore from doing everything yesterday. So I did some trunk twists and core positioning on every loop. I managed 10 today. I will probably do 10-12 later today. Pushing, but not pushing too hard. Tomorrow is a Dr Visit, so a by day.

So of course, this afternoon I pushed for 15 and did it. I was not as diligent about core positioning, but some of it was done.

Last edited:
Went on a walk in a pretty idyllic area yesterday and it felt good... was a bit sore afterwards, but still glad I went. Pushed myself to do a mile and a half this morning. Will probably do more this afternoon.

I might or might not feel well enough to go to practice today. I am going to get to the gym in order to lead First Son to practice (he's the only kid who isn't sick...at least not yet), so there's a strong incentive...but we'll see how I feel:thumbsup:!

Went on walk yesterday morning because I knew it was going to rain. With the weight gain and the fact that I've been falling off, it doesn't feel as much of a habit as it has been. My mood has really been down lately. I also did it this morning, but it's a struggle.

Yesterday's By Day was a complete by.

Today I did 30 minutes, 3000 revolutions, at full resistance. It was cold outside and I need to get into the habit of elliptical rather than waiting two hours for a little warm.

In the twilight, I did 15 loops up and down the hill. Still cold, but not as cold as this morning.

Last edited:
I might or might not feel well enough to go to practice today. I am going to get to the gym in order to lead First Son to practice (he's the only kid who isn't sick...at least not yet), so there's a strong incentive...but we'll see how I feel:thumbsup:!
...let's just say it didn't work out. Though, on the plus side, I bought myself a new cough syrup:grin:.

And on the bright side, I went shopping, and that means "a tourist backpack full of food", which had to come home with me, so I did at least some kind of exercise...probably equivalent to about 15 minutes of light working out:shade:.

This morning was a sick day, that passed.

This afternoon I did 15 loops at the fasted speed I could. This cut the time by 25%. I am tired, dehydrated, and cold, but I am alive.

I did a quick 10 minute workout on the elliptical on full resistance. I wanted to make sure I could sleep.

Last edited:
This morning was a sick day, that passed.

This afternoon I did 15 loops at the fasted speed I could. This cut the time by 25%. I am tired, dehydrated, and cold, but I am alive.

I did a quick 10 minute workout on the elliptical on full resistance. I wanted to make sure I could sleep.
I think you might be the one in this thread who showed the fastest improvement rates:thumbsup:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back