The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have lost 11.6lbs/5.26 kg since March 20th.

Just a heads up, if you are tracking your weight try to weigh yourself at the same time of day and under the same conditions for an accurate comparison. I find first thing in the morning before eating or drinking and after emptying bowels and/or bladder is the best time.

I carelessly recorded my weight in the late afternoon one time and it messed up my reporting in myfitnesspal.

I am as of Tuesday morning, 104,1 kgs. Had a good workout yesterday, and although I'm on a night shift right now, I'm planning to go to BJJ in the morning...if my wakefulness status allows it, which is admittedly a big "if":thumbsup:.
I record my weight at the roughly same time, but no way can you get me to record it every day. It's just the most boring part of fitness for me:grin:!

I have good news for you. There's little need to weigh yourself more than once a week unless you have a medical condition like congestive heart failure.
Well, given my "fitness regime", there is - simply because 2 days of difference can be 4 training sessions of difference...and the next two might not allow me a single one. So I like seeing a measurable impact, you know:smile:?

Also, seeing a weight gain motivates me to try and not be late for the gym:wink:.

I did my conditioning on Wednesday. Then work and family conspired against my fitness goals, and my next practice session was BJJ today.

Down about two pounds, to ~183.

This past week was week 6 of the 12 week half-marathon training, and there were multiple times in the week that I wanted to give up on the whole enterprise. I stuck with it, though. Even ran a personal-best 5k on Sunday! 31:57.

Since I dislocated my finger in early March, I've been focusing on body-weight exercises and resistance bands with my personal trainer, as I haven't been able to make the proper closed grip one would need for barbells and dumbbells. As of today, though, I've gotten enough functionality of my hand back that I was able to do some dumbbell rows!

Pretty good day so far.

First son being sick & wounded* put a cross on any prospects to get some training today. Not that I was in much of a mood to train, but waiting for 3 hours in line to get a doctor to check him effectively prevented it.
We'll see about tomorrow.

*Bronchiolitis and he got a toe broken during BJJ practice, by someone stepping on his foot. It's only the bronchiolitis that worries me, but I'm going to look into whether they make sambo shoes his size:thumbsup:!

Last edited:
First son being sick & wounded* put a cross on any prospects to get some training today. Not that I was in much of a mood to train, but waiting for 3 hours in line to get a doctor to check him effectively prevented it.
We'll see about tomorrow.

*Bronchiolitis and he got a toe broken during BJJ practice, by someone stepping on his foot. It's only the bronchiolitis that worries me, but I'm going to look into whether they make sambo shoes his size:thumbsup:!
Hope he recovers fully and soon.

Hope he recovers fully and soon.
Oh, he should be fine with the break in 14-21 days. I'm going to wrestle more with him in the meantime so he doesn't miss going to practice.
As for the bronchiolitis, we've got the medication he was prescribed, and I can confirm those work. The only problem is that there have been issues with the supplies, and if not for my insistence to buy more than we need, we'd have already been out of the drugs we have been prescribed:shade:.
I just need to find another batch of supplies soon, and the sooner, the better:thumbsup:!

My goal is to dislodge the lazy spell I have been having this winter and get back into a regular routine (I work out, but up till last fall I was regularly getting an hour a day).

Goal would be a nice balance of:

Lifting
Cardio
Martial arts training

In terms of food, I have a lot of dietary restrictions, and that sometimes leads to convenient but not healthful choices, so I want to make sure I am eating more real and wholesome food (which means more footwork before hand to find and obtain it)

In terms of physical condition, my goals are increased conditioning, maintain good muscle mass, maintaining a healthy weight. Getting a bit of a belly so need to bring that in line. It isn't big but want to nip it in the bud.

Saw my doctor Monday. Weighed in at 91.8kg, up 1.4kg from my last visit — of which 1kg is muscle! I admit I’m pleasantly surprised.

Better still, body fat is stable (or a bit lower).

Plan right now is to keep doing what I’m doing. Seems to be working.

Last edited:
Saw my doctor Monday. Weighed in at 91.8kg, up 1.4kg from my last visit — of which 1kg is muscle! I admit I’m pleasantly surprised.

Better still, body fat is stable (or a bit lower).

Plan right now is to keep doing what I’m doing. Seems to be working.

I am trying to stay about 140 and below 160 lbs right now

I’m 186cm and my doc flatly said “your BMI is never going under 25 unless you lose muscle mass and we don’t want that now.” So I’ll try not to mind the scales so much for the next few months.

I am only 5'7" and not a large build so the most I can gain with muscle is like 170, but there is usually enough belly fat accompanying it at that weight that I will start having things like heart burn, worse asthma, sleep apnea, etc. I find if I eat a lot of lean protein, make sure I am lifting weights, and doing cardio, and stay below 160, that is pretty ideal. Anything below 140 is too skinny. I have crohns so it is easy to let the pounds slip without realizing it (I got to 120 about 4 years ago and the doctor told me I would start having organ issues if I didn't regain some weight: no idea if just he said that to scare me or not but it worked lol)

I’m 186cm and my doc flatly said “your BMI is never going under 25 unless you lose muscle mass and we don’t want that now.” So I’ll try not to mind the scales so much for the next few months.
If I got down to BMI 25 without losing lean mass, my body fat would be 7%, which would be unhealthy for a man of my age.

If I got down to BMI 25 without losing lean mass, my body fat would be 7%, which would be unhealthy for a man of my age.

I just go by things like gut, overall muscle to fat balance, and how well I feel I can move when I am working out (if I feel slow on my feet, usually I am carrying around more weight than I should). Also I learned under 140 isn't good for me, but over 160 is getting into a danger zone too. I couldn't tell you my BMI (that chart always seems like it doesn't account for muscle frame or something). Using the calculator my BMI is 25 too when I am at 160, and I can definitely get to 160 with lean muscle and no issues with being overweight. I suspect it gets thrown off by having more muscle mass and mainly accounts for fat weight?

AFAICT, the BMI tables assume some standard repartitions of muscle, fat and bone, which leaves people with extreme disparities in the bone (rare) or muscle areas, compared to the general populace...not really well-covered.
But then I'm not training as much as I should or want, so whatever my BMI might be, I need to get in better shape:thumbsup:.

I know they sound like an old man thing but I've been using egg whites in my quest to cut unnecessary calories. I will use one whole egg with 2 or 3 whites to enjoy a substantial 3 or 4 egg omelette with a fraction of the calories and cholesterol.

I got back to practice. It's time for a weigh-in tomorrow:shade:.
Note to self: 4 hours of sleep ain't enough:grin:!

I know they sound like an old man thing but I've been using egg whites in my quest to cut unnecessary calories. I will use one whole egg with 2 or 3 whites to enjoy a substantial 3 or 4 egg omelette with a fraction of the calories and cholesterol.
Just as a head-up, according to my dietist, you can just as easily eat the entire eggs without substantial increase in cholesterol:thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Been consistent past three days. Yesterday I did some weights (mostly arms, shoulder and back; plus some squats and lunges), shadow boxing with 2 lbs weights, shadow boxing no weights, then closed it with martial arts line drills and a run (just twice around the block). Today I decided to lengthen the run. Did weights with a focus on chest, sit ups, leg lifts, shadow boxing routine (similar to last), line drills and three laps around the block (usually I go one additional lap until I get to a goal), then some sprints and step runs.

Been making a point of drinking water, then eating right before I exercise, and after I exercise drinking a 20 gram protein shake. I like Iconic because its pretty basic, tastes good, and doesn't go crazy on the protein. Not doing the GNC thing anymore with the massive protein doses and all the wild supplements and vitamins. The coconut water I drink has a good daily dose of vitamins (its actually a child formula but I like the vitamin levels in it), and I take a B12 vitamin spray in the morning---to counteract some of my malabsorption issues). I am definitely realizing that diet is a major factor for me. Not diet in the eat fewer calories sense, but in the sense of having well rounded nutrition, timing my meals so I get the most benefit from them and get enough padding that my muscles are covered, etc. I also find low fat does not work for me. I definitely need fat content to make sure I am absorbing and digesting.

Haven't been weighing myself but going just by sight: I have a little belly fat that I would like to reduce (I feel a bit heavy when I shadow box and heart disease is in the family). Because I was lazy a few weeks, my muscles are a bit too lean right now, so hopefully if I stay consistent they will fill out comfortably again. I think right now I am probably about 160 and I'd like to stay at that weight with just more muscle and less fat. Maybe go down to 155 if I am running a lot.

Just as a head-up, according to my dietist, you can just as easily eat the entire eggs without substantial increase in cholesterol:thumbsup:.

Egg debates are like edition of D&D: flame war country. I won't tell others how to eat their eggs, but I did used to love whole raw eggs in a blender with orange and milk. A lot of people are put off by the curdling of the milk, but I loved it. It is especially good if you get a good orange, peel it, then freeze it in a bag (I used to keep three to four in the freezer at a time). You shoot break it up into quarters before freezing so that its easier to blend). Taste like an orange julius. You can also mix it up. Sometimes I would freeze other fruits like strawberries and blackberries. I wouldn't do that now: the salmonella risk is not huge but also not zero (if I were younger and healthier I wouldn't care). I don't know what the rate is now but at the time I think it was something like 1 in 40,000 eggs in the US food supply (that is the number I remember finding when I looked it up but it is possible my memory is off).

I find having beverage rewards after exercise is helpful to me (something I picked up when I did muay thai: after sweating for an hour or two, something like that really hits the spot. I also used to down the thai red bulls (Krating Daeng) as a reward between segements of training.

Egg debates are like edition of D&D: flame war country.
Well, my dietist is not the kind that cares about the opinion of the other camp, so she'd be right at home there. Except the flames would get really high if she did, with her "that's misconception of people who don't know what actually happens in an egg while hatching" opening line...:grin:

I find having beverage rewards after exercise is helpful to me (something I picked up when I did muay thai: after sweating for an hour or two, something like that really hits the spot. I also used to down the thai red bulls (Krating Daeng) as a reward between segements of training.
...how many red bulls would that be in a single practice session:shock:?

Also, it seems I've overextended, twisted or overtensed (I'm hoping on the last one being the case:thumbsup:) my knee. Skipping practice today doesn't feel nice, but my knee feels less mobile now, so I'm giving it a rest for today. (Update: my leg feels stiff and only bends to around 90 degrees, after that it starts hurting).
(Apart from going for groceries, that is. And it's walking all the way...ah well:shade:).

Last edited:
You could totally be right about eggs and cholesterol AsenRG AsenRG. My brother, who deep drives into nutrition and health, says the jury is still out. Unfortunately, as much as I love to eat eggs I am not in a position to be taking chances with cholesterol.

...how many red bulls would that be in a single practice session:shock:?

Also, it seems I've overextended, twisted or overtensed (I'm hoping on the last one being the case:thumbsup:) my knee. Skipping practice today doesn't feel nice, but my knee feels less mobile now, so I'm giving it a rest for today. (Update: my leg feels stiff and only bends to around 90 degrees, after that it starts hurting).
(Apart from going for groceries, that is. And it's walking all the way...ah well:shade:).

Not many, and they were the small, uncarbonated ones from Thailand. Maybe 1-2 in a day. Some days three.

I think you should get that leg checked out Asen

Was consistent today. I lifted (mostly back, arms, shoulders and legs). Shadow boxed with 2 then 3 pound weights, then did uppercut line drills with 15 pound weights. Did martial arts line drills (I just go through all the kicks and punches I know, about 8-10 for each arm and leg), then went for a run. Still 3 laps on the block, but ended with an extended footwork drill outside which felt nice in the sun. Was trying to improve my precision and my explosiveness (I have one spot I sometimes move into where I realize I am hindering my ability to move freely so trying to kill it)

Not many, and they were the small, uncarbonated ones from Thailand. Maybe 1-2 in a day. Some days three.
Well, after checking - that's still more than I'd recommend anyone...but OK, I get it that you were young and not worried about such things (we all were...:grin:)
I think you should get that leg checked out Asen
If the problem persists tomorrow, I'm going to consider it.
For now, I merely switched to a warming unguent that my wife refuses to apply on me, claiming it burns her hands. I fully believe her, but luckily, the knee is in easy reach:thumbsup:.

I've hit my goal weight of 75kg. It might be time to start doing some muscle building exercises, because my body's still kind of wobbly-looking while my face is starting to get a bit gaunt. Jogging has been good for my blood pressure though.

Weighed in @ 180.8 this week. Beginning week 8 of the 12 week half-marathon training program. Today was the last day on my current personal training package, so I bought some more. It's expensive, but it's an investment in my health, so I'm fine with it.

Monday was mostly a recovery day. I just did some shoulder work with dumbbells. I did a full routine Tuesday: chest flies and chest presses at various three different angles, Lunges, Squats, three variations of curls, overhead tricep extensions, upright rows, setups, pushups, line drills followed by a run. I am still on three blocks. I live in a very hilly area and half the block is a very steep incline so I tend to slowly work towards more laps. But I like utilizing the hill.

Glad its better, nothing worse than a new long term injury to deal with
Thank you:thumbsup:!

Also, congrats on sticking to your regimen! My practice is definitely going to be tomorrow, not today, which isn't as good as I hoped for, but is exactly what I expected.

Thank you:thumbsup:!

Also, congrats on sticking to your regimen! My practice is definitely going to be tomorrow, not today, which isn't as good as I hoped for, but is exactly what I expected.

When it gets sunny out it is a lot easier to stick to (running out in the sun always seems to be a draw for me).

Had a week in Rhodes (Greece) so I'll be back 'on it' over the next day or two once all the laundry and settling back into normal life is done. Fully clothed with clothes on (so utterly pointless weighing myself) I'm 17 stone 6lb or 110kg so it's clear I need to lose a bit. In my defence I started push ups and used resistance bands on holidays and got back to 50-75 pushups several times a day. The effect is almost immediate so it's worth doing. Also walked between 3 and 12 miles every day on holiday wandering around the various ruins and castles. Some of them were up BIG hills....

Hopefully I can keep thing going.

IMG-20220518-122512.jpg

A lot of the stuff was medieval era. The Hellenistic/Greek BC stuff amounted to rocks in a field for the most part in Rhodes.

IMG-20220520-132403.jpg

This was a proper grind of a walk. Uphill in the blazing sun with a proper sweat on. Views were worth it but my other half complained some...

stadium.jpg

The ancient Stadium in Rhodes didn't inspire me to exercise much (though I dropped and 'did fifty' whilst I was waiting for...)

jogging.jpg

The other half to go for a jog. She's around 6' tall and slim so shrugged off the heat to run around the stadium half a dozen times without a stop. Mind you I was afraid she'd turn into ash when the sun broke out with her being a pale ginger...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back