The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I will agree with Z ZDL , weights, while seemingly kinda dumb, really do the trick, especially as I've gotten older. Thankfully, my son, who deals with pretty bad depression, was convinced by a guy he plays LoL with to start lifting, and he is coming out of his depression and feeling better.

Todays workout: 25 pound curls, crunches, deadlifts, Arnolds (a sort of overhead lift where you twist your arms) and then 10 pound arm raises at the sides, and then 10/2 oclock. Then 20 minutes on the exercise bike ramping the resistance up every 5 minutes, then repeat everything 3 times.

And then (my weakness): a couple after workout beers :-)

I got into weights around 2003 or so and have found them very helpful. There are periods where I have gotten lazy about it (especially after I had surgery). But I've found weights helpful in handling a lot of my chronic health issues (in a way, the worse off I am, the more I need to make sure I am conditioning with weights and cardio).

Today was definitely a day I did not want to train. I trained very light yesterday because I had very little energy (I did a small weight routine between writing). Then today I could tell the weights would feel twice as heavy as on a good day. But I figured push through it so I don't fall off the wagon. I did chest with four elevations using 45 pound dumbbells and 40 pound dumbbells (at certain elevations my shoulders and my busted rib can't handle the the 45s so I drop to 40 when that happens). I did lunges and squats with 40 pound dumbbells. I did three types of curls in sequence for three sets (5 reps for each type), with the 40 pound weight. Overhead tricep extension with one 45 pound dumbbell. Shrugs with the 45 pound dumbbells. And I did walking around 45 paces three sets with the 45 pound dumbbell (been trying to do posture exercises to straighten my back). Then I did line drills for five different kinds of kicks, followed by line drills of shadow boxing with 2 pound handweights (finding 2 pounds improve my punching much more than 3 pounds for some reason). Then I did line drills of upper cuts, hooks and jabs/right cross with 15 pound dumbbells. After that I did three laps around the blocks with 2 pounds weights (it seems like a short distance but it is a steeeeeeep hill, so I find the work out I get is good without making me lose weight I don't want to lose). I think I need to increase to 4 laps soon. Wanted to do shadow boxing in the drive way in the sun and warmth but too much mowing going on in the neighborhood today for that.

I think I started feeling less tired midway through (which usually seems to be the case). But glad I pushed myself a bit today (it is a balance because you don't want to push yourself on a day you shouldn't be doing so, and I had to interrogate my brain to figure out which was the case today)

Continued today, largely on exercises aimed at better back stability and improving posture. One exercise I added that I never really do was the dumbbell deadlift. After a routine of weights I went for a run and ended with shadow boxing (using two pound weights in both instances).

If you really hate yourself (and, incidentally, want to strengthen lats for increased side stability—but chiefly for the self-hatred) do the Pendlay row and the gorilla row (I do the dumbbell version because I don't have access to kettle balls) on alternating back days. When I do the gorillas I go side-to-side (left side, right side) for maximum dynamic shift and core adjustment, but if you're really just focusing on lats doing weak side to exhaustion then the strong side to the same extent is also pretty good.

If you want other deadlift variants, I've found single-handed barbell deadlifts do wonders for legs, lower back, and core (because of the imbalance) and, of all things, for grip training. I'm almost at body-weight single-handed deadlifts (lifting 50kg against a body weight that has been reduced to 57kg), and when I'm broken it's not my legs, ass, back, or core that breaks. It's my hand that gives out. Considering I started these with only 30kg (and after I was doing 60kg deadlifts against my then-body weight of 65kg), that's to me pretty impressive progress.

Maybe someday I'll have forearms again.

I haven't worked out but I think stress is doing me a favor. I'm down to 188 these days.

If you really hate yourself (and, incidentally, want to strengthen lats for increased side stability—but chiefly for the self-hatred) do the Pendlay row and the gorilla row (I do the dumbbell version because I don't have access to kettle balls) on alternating back days. When I do the gorillas I go side-to-side (left side, right side) for maximum dynamic shift and core adjustment, but if you're really just focusing on lats doing weak side to exhaustion then the strong side to the same extent is also pretty good.

If you want other deadlift variants, I've found single-handed barbell deadlifts do wonders for legs, lower back, and core (because of the imbalance) and, of all things, for grip training. I'm almost at body-weight single-handed deadlifts (lifting 50kg against a body weight that has been reduced to 57kg), and when I'm broken it's not my legs, ass, back, or core that breaks. It's my hand that gives out. Considering I started these with only 30kg (and after I was doing 60kg deadlifts against my then-body weight of 65kg), that's to me pretty impressive progress.

Maybe someday I'll have forearms again.

I avoid barbells just because I've seen quite a few bad injuries from them (I saw someone's pec muscle get obliterated in a weight lifting course I took in college). So I tend to stick to dumbbells just because I feel more comfortable with them (and I am generally not very into the super heavy lifting you get with the barbels). But I basically do a row like the with dumbbells. What I find is I've done a lot of back exercises for power and strength (I am not as interested in size as I am in things like punching power, endurance, etc), but that I need to do more light weight exercises that target more areas of the back with a focus on stability (my back muscles are pretty strong but I have a tendency lately to slouch forward). The gorilla row with a dumbbell sounds good (I do a lot of bent over row type exercises and that one looks pretty different). For muscles I am trying to do the whole back.

My trainer's gym has dumbbells with as much weight on them as I lift on a lot of barbells. (No, really. He has 40kg dumbbells and I can bench a paltry 40kg @ low reps because my arms are noodle arms.) When I do the Pendlay row I'm at 45kg. (When I do the gorilla rows, I'm doing 15kg when aiming for reps or 20kg when going for intensity.)

As long as you don't do stupid things with barbells, barbells are fine. (Mind, the temptation to do stupid things is powerful. It's why I have a trainer instead of soloing this.)

My sister and family have been visiting this week, which has thrown my normal workout schedule out of whack. That said, my sister and I went ice skating for 2 hours yesterday. First time I've been on skates since February when I tore my MCL. Prior to that, I'd been playing ice hockey with my son (currently 19) for 2-3 years. Recovery from MCL tear has been slow going, especially when you're approaching 52 years old. But the knee held up to the abuse, so once I increase the leg strength a bit more, I'll be back to hockey again.

Today was the same as Tuesday: Alternating light upper body weights with 20 minutes on the exercise bike with a pretty decent incline, repeat 3 times total.

Next week, I'll get back to the heavier lifting on Monday and Wednesday, along with a bunch of PT stuff I've been doing to help my knee recover.

If you really hate yourself (and, incidentally, want to strengthen lats for increased side stability—but chiefly for the self-hatred) do the Pendlay row and the gorilla row (I do the dumbbell version because I don't have access to kettle balls) on alternating back days.
I like your attitude:grin:!

Also, I bought myself kettleballs, because I want to master the Turkish Get-up. It seems a very useful exercise for what I'm currently focusing on (BJJ). But it turned out I can't hold a "full" KB upright...
And yes, many people just let the KB sag against the wrist. But when I'm going for good form, I'm going for good form...so I'm going for holding the kettleball upright, or rather, bottom up, throughout the whole exercise:thumbsup:.
What do you say? It requires a lot of grip strength? Well, that's a bonus:shade:!

I'm starting with 4kgs though.

Leg day last night. Zercher squats at 45kg for reps (against a body weight of just under 60kg—I backslid a bit), followed by bog standard barbell squats at 50kg for reps alternating with 70kg for exhaustion (12 reps/4 reps patterning of sets), followed by deadlifts in reducing sets: 70kg to exhaustion, then switching down to 50kg to finish off.

Then the closing HIIT for that final "eff-you" from my trainer (who I suspect secretly hates me and wants me to suffer).

Then, because I was actually weeping by the end of the exercises (physiological reaction, not crying), he and I went to a nearby microbrewery storefront where I guzzled a nice Weißbier at his expense. Then came the fun job of climbing onto the bus home when my knees were made of gelatin and my brain was misfiring from the beer.

12 mile run yesterday. Got it done.

Now it's taper week leading up to the big event. This week is just a few short runs & 3 rest days, leading up to the half-marathon on Saturday. Training has been good and going well, but I'm also really ready to be done with running so #$%&ing much!

Took a rest day yesterday. Today I did four different elevations of chest press, legs, shoulders, back, line drills punching with 15 pound weights (this is an exercise I really like). Then running with 2 pound weighs and some light shadow boxing. I am starting to definitely feel my lungs benefit more and more from the running.

My trainer's gym has dumbbells with as much weight on them as I lift on a lot of barbells. (No, really. He has 40kg dumbbells and I can bench a paltry 40kg @ low reps because my arms are noodle arms.) When I do the Pendlay row I'm at 45kg. (When I do the gorilla rows, I'm doing 15kg when aiming for reps or 20kg when going for intensity.)

As long as you don't do stupid things with barbells, barbells are fine. (Mind, the temptation to do stupid things is powerful. It's why I have a trainer instead of soloing this.)
This is as good a time as any to remind everyone that strength does not correlate directly to muscle group measurements and has more to do with neuromuscular conditioning, as does failure (as in “train to failure”).

(minor nitpick but common misconception)

This is as good a time as any to remind everyone that strength does not correlate directly to muscle group measurements and has more to do with neuromuscular conditioning, as does failure (as in “train to failure”).

Coming from a martial arts and combat sport background, training for bigger muscle size has not usually been a goal for me. My goals are more strength and athleticism.

Coming from a martial arts and combat sport background, training for bigger muscle size has not usually been a goal for me. My goals are more strength and athleticism.
Knowing why you’re training, what you want out of it, should be the first step IMHO.

I have insulin resistance and I need muscle mass (hypertrophy) to bring it down.

Doesn’t hurt that I look better with it.

I wasn't talking about the size of them. I was talking about how they're weak, floppy, and useless. There seems to be a dividing line somewhere mid-torso. Anything below that line develops quickly and easily. Everything above it is a major struggle to develop.

Still, I keep working at it because there is improvement, just not as impressive and quick as my sturdy peasant legs.

Some people have difficultly developing upper body. I'm one of those people. Legs are great, and overall quite strong. Upper body is ok, but I've never been able to gain a lot of muscle mass above the abs, so I know what you mean. My son, on the other hand, takes after my dad apparently: He's lifting, and getting the defined chest, arms and shoulders that I can't do. :-/

Some people have difficultly developing upper body.
My trainer took great pains to highlight the 'genetic differences' among people who train specifically to make me feel better about the peasant legs vs. the noodle arms. But it's frustrating. We do back day, chest day, back day, chest day, leg day as a cycle (with a favour for whole-body main motions and some constantly-adjusting muscle group targeting motions as roadblocks get hit) and my legs are still developing a whole lot faster than my arms and shoulders. It's … well it's annoying. Still, as I said, the development is happening, just at a crawl. I don't regret starting the process. I just really hate chest and back days. :weep:

I wasn't talking about the size of them. I was talking about how they're weak, floppy, and useless. There seems to be a dividing line somewhere mid-torso. Anything below that line develops quickly and easily. Everything above it is a major struggle to develop.

Still, I keep working at it because there is improvement, just not as impressive and quick as my sturdy peasant legs.
My trainer took great pains to highlight the 'genetic differences' among people who train specifically to make me feel better about the peasant legs vs. the noodle arms. But it's frustrating. We do back day, chest day, back day, chest day, leg day as a cycle (with a favour for whole-body main motions and some constantly-adjusting muscle group targeting motions as roadblocks get hit) and my legs are still developing a whole lot faster than my arms and shoulders. It's … well it's annoying. Still, as I said, the development is happening, just at a crawl. I don't regret starting the process. I just really hate chest and back days. :weep:
If it helps, man, I'm with you when it comes to the body above the midriffs (though my arms seem to respond to training decently).
I'm also probably never going to see my own six-pack and am only assuming that I have one.

Some people have difficultly developing upper body. I'm one of those people. Legs are great, and overall quite strong. Upper body is ok, but I've never been able to gain a lot of muscle mass above the abs, so I know what you mean. My son, on the other hand, takes after my dad apparently: He's lifting, and getting the defined chest, arms and shoulders that I can't do. :-/
Yeah, and First Son seems to have combined the best from me and his mom. He starts getting visible muscle definition already, sports something like a six-pack...and he's 5yo.
I'm not having him lift, I just don't forbid him to practice his climbing at home, and I grapple with him...which he does with lots of strength:tongue:!

BTW, any links as to that one:shade:? Because when I hear that line, it tends to be from people who have previously complained to me that they can't gain mass...:grin:

Maybe it's just some selection bias with my sources (because people who gain mass easily wouldn't often bother looking for such sources).

Chest day (or more accurately "pushing day") today. Barbell presses with 15kg barbells in 4 drop sets. (If I can't do 10 reps at 15kg, I drop them and switch down to 7.5kg each and lift those to exhaustion). Then inclined barbell presses in the same pattern. Then a new motion for me: the "L Rise". (This little bugger is nasty! Even with 5kg barbells it damned near killed me!). Then an odd plank variant whose name I can't translate, but it basically involves raising and twisting a leg underneath before jutting your ass in the air. Shockingly, <sarcasm>against all reason</sarcasm>, this one kills my core. Followed up with HIIT and a long session of whining afterward as I couldn't raise my arms over my shoulder height to put on my street clothes after my stretch and shower.

...I couldn't raise my arms over my shoulder height to put on my street clothes after my stretch and shower.
Where do I know this feeling from...:thumbsup:

BTW, any links as to that one:shade:? Because when I hear that line, it tends to be from people who have previously complained to me that they can't gain mass...:grin:

Maybe it's just some selection bias with my sources (because people who gain mass easily wouldn't often bother looking for such sources).
Very easy to find material on it by googling e.g. “strength vs. hypertrophy” — I found this one fairly detailed. If you want references to peer-reviewed work, I can look into it, but it’ll take me some more time.

Very easy to find material on it by googling e.g. “strength vs. hypertrophy” — I found this one fairly detailed. If you want references to peer-reviewed work, I can look into it, but it’ll take me some more time.
Peer-reviewed would probably be better*, but there's no hurry. I'm in this for the long game:grin:!

To clarify, I know some lifters**, so I know that there is some kinds of training that focus more on improving strength, and others that lead to gaining more mass, and yet others that give you more endurance (though they all improve all three areas to a degree). The question I'd like to find more about is how much of the training for strength is neuromuscular:thumbsup:.

*Sure, I can use Google, but I've found some amazing...what's the ironic form of "gems"?...so I'm not sure I'd like to trust random internet sources:shade:. OTOH, if you can recommend a specific resource, it doesn't need to be peer-reviewed, I'd gladly accept a lifting article instead:angel:!

**And some calisthenics fans. Those guys are brutal and arguably have the best neuro-muscular training I've seen, because their exercises basically require the muscles to work in tandem...unless you fancy falling badly.

Last edited:
Last night was back day (or, more accurate, "pulling day"). Gorilla rows preceded two wire exercises: one that is like a piston pulling toward your face (I don't know the name of it, but it's like half a face pull) and the other a double-armed downward pull. All this terminated with a back fly.

Then came HIIT.

Whatever it is I did to offend my trainer, I apologize!

Anyway, it was a hot and humid day so literally every scrap of clothing: undies top and bottom, shorts, and tee, was so drenched in sweat I was dripping wherever I stood. When I showered, I could lightly squeeze each article of clothing and get water pouring out of it like I'd pulled it mid-cycle from a washing machine.

I drank almost 2.5l of water over the course of four motions + HIIT and still felt thirsty at the end!

Whatever it is I did to offend my trainer, I apologize!
Amusingly, maybe he just likes you and has a professionally-deformed way of showing it:grin:?

Anyway, it was a hot and humid day so literally every scrap of clothing: undies top and bottom, shorts, and tee, was so drenched in sweat I was dripping wherever I stood. When I showered, I could lightly squeeze each article of clothing and get water pouring out of it like I'd pulled it mid-cycle from a washing machine.

I drank almost 2.5l of water over the course of four motions + HIIT and still felt thirsty at the end!
Yeah, I'm like that after a heavy BJJ roll:thumbsup:.

He's a former student. This is probably his revenge for all the low marks I gave him when he screwed up grammar.
OK, I see why you apologized, now...:shade:

BJJ? Dare I ask?
Why wouldn't you dare? Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, it is usually shortened this way.

It is also known as GJJ, for Gracie JJ, but that's a lot less common and AFAICT, mostly done as a 1) kind of trademark of the Gracies, which I totally get (everyone needs advertisement, marketing rules) or 2) a way to note that someone is training in the full curriculum and not just the sport of BJJ...though many that train the "old school" techniques just call it "BJJ for the street/MMA" instead, and alternatively, 3) as a way to show that someone has been studying with the Gracies themselves and "not some cheap knock-off thrice-removed from the source". That last part is the part I don't like.

Of course, I don't train with a Gracie teacher or direct student, I am (as of now, at least) only training the sport moves for fitness and basic proficiency (which is why I mention it in this thread at all:thumbsup:), which excludes striking for example, and I add without any concern for purity wrestling or even qinna/chinna moves I've been taught - assuming they're safe to use, of course (not all of them are). So I couldn't reasonably call what I do GJJ, either way:grin:!
Maybe I could inscribe myself in the Gracie Online University, though...hmm:angel:!

Ayup. :grin:

Because sometimes training regimens scare the living daylights out of me. :crossed: What I'm doing is mild by comparison to some and I'm in pain after each session. :tongue:
Oh no, it's not a particularly demanding regimen. But I'm in the over 100kgs weight range, so people that gravitate towards training with me tend to be in the 80-105 kgs range (I don't think I've seen a heavier guy). Which becomes quite tiring during free rolling...where you sometimes need to move his whole bodyweight, with speed and precision - or you might end up in worse position, or having to do it over and over again.
I did basically benchpress an 80kgs guy away from me to get him off my chest...I was quite surprised at being able to, BTW:grin:!

But basically, imagine this and now you know why it's not really surprising if the whole floor (that we're rolling over, it's padded) shines wetly near the end of the training. And you basically can't get a good grip because your hands are also sweaty, and trying to grab a slippery guy, so you need to exert even more strength. A sauna doesn't even come close:shade:!

Took Sunday off. Monday I did chest, and back with some legs. Pushups, Situps. Then a run with hand weights. Yesterday I focused on back stability with lighter weights, arms and punching endurance. Then went on a run.

Some parts just develop better than others in people (but if its your legs it makes me wonder if adding in longer, lighter, resistance and endurance would help: for example doing rounds on a heavy bag on top of what you are doing). I am a hard gainer, and while gaining mass has never been a goal, I still saw a very big difference if I ate right before training and then drank a 20 gram protein shake after (I don't like shakes with crazy amounts of protein in because I don't want to overload my kidneys). Also drinking plenty of water before and after helped too. The key though was eating right before I trained.

Oh no, it's not a particularly demanding regimen. But I'm in the over 100kgs weight range, so people that gravitate towards training with me tend to be in the 80-105 kgs range (I don't think I've seen a heavier guy). Which becomes quite tiring during free rolling...where you sometimes need to move his whole bodyweight, with speed and precision - or you might end up in worse position, or having to do it over and over again.
I did basically benchpress an 80kgs guy away from me to get him off my chest...I was quite surprised at being able to, BTW:grin:!

But basically, imagine this and now you know why it's not really surprising if the whole floor (that we're rolling over, it's padded) shines wetly near the end of the training. And you basically can't get a good grip because your hands are also sweaty, and trying to grab a slippery guy, so you need to exert even more strength. A sauna doesn't even come close:shade:!
No kidding. The slipperiness of a sweaty opponent is 90% of the fun of no-gi.

BJJ is funny in that it probably gets more aerobic and less isometric the further you progress in rank and technique. (Doesn’t mean that the black belts back at my gym didn’t have crazy old man strength. There was this one guy who grabbed my arm and dragged my 96kg ass and I’d go “huh, so that’s what a black hole feels like”).

BJJ is funny in that it probably gets more aerobic and less isometric the further you progress in rank and technique. (Doesn’t mean that the black belts back at my gym didn’t have crazy old man strength. There was this one guy who grabbed my arm and dragged my 96kg ass and I’d go “huh, so that’s what a black hole feels like”).
I agree with everything, except it seemed to me that BJJ gets less aerobic and more isometric the further I progressed, and looking at some people, it seems like it gets both less aerobic and less isometric...though I admit my current understanding might very well change with time. I just know what it felt like less than a year ago.
Or maybe you just learn how to switch the majority of the effort to the set of endurance you have more of (which would explain it at least for me, don't know if you've got better aerobic endurance).

Of course, that probably depends also on whether you're using a movement-based or pressure-based style, too. But that part might well be for the Martial Arts thread:thumbsup:!

"Push" day today (read: chest day). I finally had a breakthrough on the bench. I pressed 35kg for reps! (Usually I press 30 for reps, 35 for intensity. I've been stuck there since January.) Of course only the first set got good reps (15!), but I drained myself so badly that my second set dropped to 8, then 6, then 4.

But I still managed 15 reps @ 35kg for one set!

Followed up with inclined dumbbell press using unbalanced weights (10kg/5kg) because my trainer is a sadistic bastard who hates me, then a dumbell snatch with 12.5kg dropping to 7.5 at exhaustion, and my "stick my ass in the air from a plank after twisting my body" exercise whose name I don't know. HIIT to round it all out, then we went out to a local microbrewery and I stuck him for the most expensive beer there (a lovely cloudy wheat).

HIIT to round it all out, then we went out to a local microbrewery and I stuck him for the most expensive beer there (a lovely cloudy wheat).
Good, I see the apologies are taken seriously:grin:!

(Also, congrats on your breakthrough!)

Took a break yesterday (had three solid days leading up to it). Today I got back in with four different chest press elevations, a variety of rows, shrugs, overhead presses, triceps and biceps, legs, setups, pushups, then three laps mostly uphill with hand weights. Did not have time for shadow boxing today

Sweat can be a problem in striking competitions too if the surface is bad. I had two competitions on questionable surfaces (one with a wood floor---bad idea as I ended up getting knocked out and my head came crashing on the solid wood rather than padding----the other with really subpar mats) and all the sweat made it like fighting on a slip and slide. It was nearly impossible to keep balance when you kicked.

A wood floor on a striking competition is irresponsible to say the least:shade:!

(Though we might have sparred on wood floors when I was even younger).

Last edited:
A wood floor on a striking competition is irresponsible to say the least:shade:!

(Though we might have sparred on wood floors when I was even younger).

Sparring on wood is something I have done. And I do think sparring, provided it isn't like a boxing gym going hard, is fine on wood for the most part. Competition is a whole other level of trying to hurt each other and knock one another out so I think the danger increases a lot when you shift to competing on wood (and obviously some woods might have more give, but this was basically close to a basketball court floor (for all I know it was a basketball court). After that though I'd generally avoid any situation where I could get knocked out on a hard surface in a martial arts context. It was a large competition and there were mats spread out everywhere except one ring. I ended up on having my matches on that section. It definitely made me aware of the issues of surface (to this day I don't like seeing brawls on pavement for that reason). I was told by the paramedic that if I wasn't wearing headgear the blow to the ground would have killed me (I was struck in the neck with a kick and went out instantly, and all my weight fell right on my head falling backwards). I woke up and they were asking me who the president was, etc. I wasn't out that long though and all I had to do was avoid painkillers and have someone wake me every 15 minutes or something through the night: can't recall the exact timing of it, it might have been every hour). It was just one of those things where I had the dumb luck to get the one area without a mat. There must have been a dozen competition mats or so. I think it was about a month or two before I the concussion went away (I remember getting dizzy driving and in sunlight, and that I couldn't spar for a full three weeks).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back