The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I did the full exercise walk in my neighborhood. I did five loops. (Each loop has .1 miles and 100-150 foot elevation gain and loss). Better for balance than just the elliptical. I could of done more, but five is the ideal base (at this level of recovery) and I didn't want to be so tired for the rest of the day I did nothing.

Last edited:
Okay. So six hours after I did the loops, I did 30 minutes at medium-high intensity on the elliptical. And now, about five hours later, I ratcheted up the resistance to full for a high-intensity 15 minutes of additional work. Now I very tired (but not sleepy) and a bit sore. So we will see how this goes tomorrow.

Yesterday was five loops. I did a 30 min medium intensity workout on the elliptical later.

Today I was able to do six loops for the first time this morning. The rise of 120ish feet is quite the challenge after loop four.

Added On: I did 20 minutes of medium intensity early afternoon. The plan is to do some more later. We will see.

Add on at the last hour before bed. I did 30 minutes of medium high intensity on the elliptical. (so I saw and did.)

Last edited:
Here we go. Six Loops. Hopefully more today. Tomorrow has Doctor Visits, so less opportunities to exercise.

Add on: Did 30 minutes on medium high intensity elliptical tonight. I am trying to do it with controlled breathing. (I am trying to reduce to six breaths a minute, as slower breathing rates reduce stress/ anxiety/ and fight/flight responses. Most people breathe ten times a minute, without exercise. Most people in the 50s breathed five times a minute. )

Last edited:
I got back on the old exercycle for the first time in several months today. I'm starting slow with only exercising for 15 minutes 3 times a week. In 2 weeks I aim to bump it up to 15 minutes 4 times a week, then 30 minutes, etc.

Got back into exercising last night. Been having a tough time getting into a regular rhythm past month or so. Went with a light work out. Just did curl variations, pushups, setups, squats, dips, shrugs and ended with an indoor cardio work out (shadow boxing with weights, jumping jacks, skip knee, kicking line drills, shadow, punching drills with 15 pound weights). Light because this was all done in about a 25 minute time frame.

Five neighborhood loops. Between the heat, indigestion from eating (spicy chorizo and eggs), and walking almost right after, I could not do six. Still, five is the baseline at this point. We will see what is added.

Tonight we added 20 minutes of high intensity elliptical. I am going to have to be careful about my knees going forward.

Last edited:
I got back into exercising and got on a good plan for getting back on track... and my dog threw me off on the second day.

The landscaping people came to the door during lunch, and I got up leaving my lunch on the seat. Needless to say, my dog made me pay for that mistake, and was was a healthy lunch was replaced by some snacks.

I managed to keep my weight under 100kgs, which is my basic goal. Just to be clear, that's the lightest I've been in decades, regardless of how much I exercised...:grin:
Fun fact: I weighed 99,8kgs at the start of BJJ practice last night. During the practice, which extended to a whole 3 hours (rests included, though:tongue:), I drank 1 liter of water, which is exactly 1 kg of weight for those of you using Imperial measures.
I was down to 99,1 kgs at the end of it.
Magnesium is my friend, and I started taking BCAA today. I'll report whether it helps, but more than one person in my gym swears it helps them with recovery.

This supplement, which arrived today, is also worthy of notice for two reasons: shipping and taste...:angel:
See, I received today an SMS from the shipping company that it's arrived. Except it didn't arrive in the office I wanted it (I could have had it delivered to my door, but that's more expensive, and it was free shipping to the office). WTF? Why does it arrive to the office that's nearer my BJJ gym?!?
I mean, does anyone track me, despite me not having given any info:shock:?
Then it all became clear after I saw the addresses. See, one of the addresses is "tsar Simeon". The other is "tsar Samuil" with a different number. The sender had inputted the wrong tsar...:shade:
Amusingly, this made it easier to obtain my package, not harder, because I got the SMS while being at the gym (which was closed, but I thought I should check whether they're having that kick-boxing practice that I've heard "school rumors" about).

Furthermore, the taste of this thing is atrocious. That's not the sender's fault, though! In fact, there was an option asking what taste we prefer...
I picked the "Unsweetened, no taste" option after a brief consideration, though...:skeleton:
Why? Well see, that's due to the fate of my (late?) protein shakes!
As it happens, I bought myself 10 of those, planning to use them after practice (they also had a small amount of the same supplement, about a scoop per dose). Which was fine.
Except they were straciatelli-flavoured, so I got to drink a total of 4 of them...:evil:
So I had to make it clear that what I'm taking is a supplement, not a random sweetened beverage! Well, anyone that tries the supplement that arrived today isn't going to go for seconds, so that should resolve the matters. Personally, I regretted only dissolving a scoop of it in only a quarter liter of water and am planning to try mixing it with milk tomorrow:smile:.
Meanwhile, the guys at the gym are having the same supplement in orange or cherries-flavoured tastes. Le sigh:wink:!
OTOH, I am the one hardening my willpower:gunslinger:!

My BP drops notably with protracted exercise. Everyone does, but I can lose 30 points. My. BP was 104/72 this morning after moving about. Four hours later, it is only 112/82. It is too low for me to do more than ten minutes of anything. So I have a doctor approved "bye day".

Still, the rest of you don't have doctor's notes. So keep at it.

Add On: Six BP checks and nothing Higher. I guess I really have the "bye day".
I just wish I could focus on anything mental as well. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
Walked almost 10 miles today. Didn't really mean to, haha.

Started out on the Des Plaines River Trail from a parking lot in Wadsworth, Illinois, thinking I'd walk for an hour or so & then turn around. But right around that hour mark, I saw a sign indicating I was 3 miles from the trail's end, so I had to see it through all the way. It's a nice trail & I had fun & I'm proud of myself for doing it.

My one disappointment was that, based on my casual glance @ the map, I thought the trail ended at the Illinois/Wisconsin border, but it actually ends 1.7 miles south of the border. I really wanted to reach that border, but it wasn't in the cards today.

Okay. well it was low but not too low. I was slow going in the early morning, so mid morning I did five loops (.5 miles up and down 100-150 feet each loop). The sun is now too high so it is hot to do more walk (despite the trees). So we will see later.

Later in the afternoon, I did ten minutes of higher intensity elliptical (as I was on the edge of the blood pressure).

Went out for a late night walk, and the skunk was out in the area. So we abandoned that course.

Last edited:
Go have a second day Chuckdee.

Today, I did six loops. It is insanely hot. I went out really early in the morning to avoid as much sun and heat as possible, and it was the same temp as mid morning yesterday. We will see if I can get much else done today.

It is 2100. It is still 85F/24.9C. The house is about the same temp inside as out. I think we are going to plead heat issues.

Doctor visits tomorrow. We will see how this works.

Last edited:
Go have a second day Chuckdee.

Today, I did six loops. It is insanely hot. I went out really early in the morning to avoid as much sun and heat as possible, and it was the same temp as mid morning yesterday. We will see if I can get much else done today.
Thankfully it's been mild here the last couple of days. I got in my 2 miles and am on track with my eating so far.

Well Dr Visit was useless. And killed off my morning walk.

We are back now, and it is 100f/ 38C at 1300. So less likely we will do much today. Maybe if it cools tonight...

2100 and 82F/27.7C well maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's pretty flat where I live, so that makes it easier. On today's ride I only used ~3 of the 21 gears my bike has.
There's a trail I want to try, but it's in town, and going to town just for that (I can't use a locking bike rack so I wouldn't feel safe doing anything else) takes a bit of maneuvering. And one part of that trail scares me.

This morning I got up a bit after dawn and got out a bit after sun up (mountains/ valleys/ passes make this complicated). It started at 70f/21c. I did five loops in twenty-ish minutes. It was 74F/23c when I finished. I did this to avoid the heat, but my BP was very low, to begin with. (At the end, systolic was 88, which is about where my diastolic normal is. My diastolic was 66 when I finished. I should of been unconscious, but wasn't.) The house was 74ish when I started. We have closed up and darkened the house, maybe when it exceeds 100f/37C outside, it will still be under 80/26c inside. Not much to do today except hide from the heat.

I don’t think I would count it as physical exercise, but I’ve been doing archery. Mostly in the morning before work as a meditation, but sometimes at home to move my mind past whatever I have going on. Got a target, a light compound bow (which helped me think about compound bow rules in Mythras), and some arrows.

wife and I have said we are losing weight, so I’m largely using my willpower for her - she needs the group to do it. So I’m hungry, obviously. I’m eating stupid food like salad and other vegetables that are definitely not cheese, which is objectively the best food.

Cooler this morning. Managed to get food and meds in (plus 30 minutes kick in) before managing to do the walk. (90+ minutes later than yesterday and a few degrees cooler.) I managed six loops. I want to establish that as a new normal. I have a Dr Visit today. Hopefully more useful than the last one. I am planning on elliptical late this afternoon as the temp in the house (and outside) will be bearable. We will see what the future will be.

I don’t think I would count it as physical exercise, but I’ve been doing archery. Mostly in the morning before work as a meditation, but sometimes at home to move my mind past whatever I have going on. Got a target, a light compound bow (which helped me think about compound bow rules in Mythras), and some arrows.

wife and I have said we are losing weight, so I’m largely using my willpower for her - she needs the group to do it. So I’m hungry, obviously. I’m eating stupid food like salad and other vegetables that are definitely not cheese, which is objectively the best food.

If you do three to ten stands of arrows (ten arrows per stand usually (but more than five, less than fourteen, usually - it is basically one quiver of arrows, retrieve and ready to go again.) it would count as exercise unless your compound is woefully underpowered (like 20lbs final draw). The main part of archery is learning the fine motor and sense motor movement. We have a "shooting area" on my property. Now that my vision is nearly back, I should pull it out.

Might I suggest to add cubed firm tofu to the salad. (1cm cube, usually half a block's worth, let drain on a rack for 10min to 2 hours). It is low calorie, low to no carb, protein to keep you full and give energy, has mass to make you think you are full, and tastes like the salads (once you dress it). It has made my salads stay with me.

I would suggest Chao if you can find it locally (in either basic version or flavored versions) to help with your cheese withdrawal.

Last edited:
Cooler this morning. Managed to get food and meds in (plus 30 minutes kick in) before managing to do the walk. (90+ minutes later than yesterday and a few degrees cooler.) I managed six loops. I want to establish that as a new normal. I have a Dr Visit today. Hopefully more useful than the last one. I am planning on elliptical late this afternoon as the temp in the house (and outside) will be bearable. We will see what the future will be.

If you do three to ten stands of arrows (ten arrows per stand usually (but more than five, less than fourteen, usually - it is basically one quiver of arrows, retrieve and ready to go again.) it would count as exercise unless your compound is woefully underpowered (like 20lbs final draw). The main part of archery is learning the fine motor and sense motor movement. We have a "shooting area" on my property. Now that my vision is nearly back, I should pull it out.

Might I suggest to add cubed firm tofu to the salad. (1cm cube, usually half a block's worth, let drain on a rack for 10min to 2 hours). It is low calorie, low to no carb, protein to keep you full and give energy, has mass to make you think you are full, and tastes like the salads (once you dress it). It has made my salads stay with me.

I would suggest Chao if you can find it locally (in either basic version or flavored versions) to help with your cheese withdrawal.
It’s 30 pounds which is pretty light but I wanted to focus on form. I do 3-5 stands of 12

Last night I did 20 minutes of elliptical and core training while pedaling. (Can't update yesterdays)

Today I did 5 loops. Between the heat and not wanting to disrupt the deer grazing/ heading towards the water source, I did not do six loops. Cooler today, so I will be doing elliptical work later.

Add on: I did 20 minutes of full resistance elliptical because I am stupid. It was hot. Seemed like a good idea being shorter intervals. I think I sweated off quite a bit of liquid weight. Still I am doing what I can to build up as I am expecting a "minor" cardiac procedure in the next two weeks (pending schedule). That will set me back for a bit.

Last edited:
I was down this morning, so I didn't do my walk, but made up for it this evening. Eating today was strange... I had my shake, then I couldn't break for lunch because of a P1 issue in production, so snacked- ate a lot of bacon and pecans. Probably too much. And I didn't really pay attention :sad:

I can figure out the pecans because of how much is left in the bag, but no way on the bacon to do the same.

Okay. Six Loops (Each loop has .1 miles and 100-150 foot elevation gain and loss) fairly early as the temperatures will be up in the 100s today. We will see what else we can do.

Add on late: 30 minutes, 3000 "revolutions" on medium high elliptical. Almost tougher than the 30 minutes plus of walking the loop. All sweaty and ready to sleep now.

What are all you doing to keep up your stated goals?

Last edited:
What are all you doing to keep up your stated goals?

I've committed to doing another personal half-marathon. This one will fall on my birthday weekend, the 3rd weekend in October. Last time I used the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 training plan. I'm more-or-less doing that again, but allowing myself a little more flexibility from doing the plan exactly-as-written, including giving myself the option of replacing some of the runs with bicycle rides. Also been logging my food to try to keep it in the healthy-ish realm. I've slacked off on the logging quite a bit this week, but I've been doing it long enough to see that I've definitely increased the percentage of my diet that consists of fruits & vegetables.

This morning I did an 11-mile run. The training plan only called for 7 miles, but I had more in the tank, so I kept going. It was great exercise, but I'm pretty much spent for the day now, haha. Fortunately I don't really have anything I need to do today.

Today's check in is 6 loops moderately early. It was warm, but not beastly hot yet.

I did 30 minutes of medium high intensity elliptical. It tough on a body, but sometime next week I will have the heart cath and procedure, so I need to get ahead so I can lose some after the procedure.

Keep going people. Let us be responsible for the destruction of the sedentary gamer in the basement meme.

Last edited:
I’m reviewing my workout routine in a week and I gotta gut it back. I’m spending more time in the gym than I should.

And I hate it that I gotta do this really.

I’m wondering whether to keep two workouts (A: shoulders, biceps, legs and a bit of core; B: pecs, triceps, back and another bit of core, plus cardio) each 2-4x a week, or to further divide it in three workouts (with a C workout for legs and core, probably).

I can usually hit the gym reliably 5 times a week. I can usually spring for a 6th when I’m not working Saturdays but I’m wary of leaving one part of my body worked on only once a week sometimes.

Mtb 7.6 miles today up near Tollgate, OR. I’ve put 250 miles on the bike since I got it last November. May not seem like piles but it’s all over rough terrain.
I'm trying with the bike, but it seems that I don't know how to use the gears correctly- I need to look to see if there are beginner rides where they take you through that.

Still keeping to my 1.5 miles+ a day of walking, though I got off the food wagon this weekend for Book Club and to spend time with my son.

I just got some new walking shoes as mine are towards the end of their life.

Last edited:
I'm trying with the bike, but it seems that I don't know how to use the gears correctly- I need to look to see if there are beginner rides where they take you through that.

Still keeping to my 1.5 miles+ a day, though I got off the food wagon this weekend for Book Club and to spend time with my son.
I was gonna try to describe how to use bike gears efficiently but found I am unable to verbalize how I do it!

I am getting back on the wagon tomorrow.

I was gonna try to describe how to use bike gears efficiently but found I am unable to verbalize how I do it!

I am getting back on the wagon tomorrow.
I figured as long as I'm walking, I'm good... but I bought this bike and really want to use it!

Today was the first 7 loop day. Everything was good (temp, time, breakfast early enough before, and bp). Whooo hooo! I am tired, but not burned out.

Okay, early evening add on: 30 minutes on the medium high elliptical.

Okay we keep going. Keep on meme busting.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back