The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think you might be the one in this thread who showed the fastest improvement rates:thumbsup:!

Unlike the rest of you, a lot of my gains are "healing", the recovery of what is lost. In the last two months or so, I have moved beyond where I was (as I was a couch tater-tot - not quite a couch potato but close) before the event. I have recaptured some "athleticism" I had decades before. So we will see when I cross into new territories of athleticism.

Unlike the rest of you, a lot of my gains are "healing", the recovery of what is lost. In the last two months or so, I have moved beyond where I was (as I was a couch tater-tot - not quite a couch potato but close) before the event. I have recaptured some "athleticism" I had decades before. So we will see when I cross into new territories of athleticism.
That's the spirit:grin:!

Though a lot of what I am learning is the same. I am recovering the shape I had lost after injuries and neglecting my conditioning. So you're still doing it right:thumbsup:!

Today when it reached 50 degrees outside, I went for a walk. I went at the fast pace from yesterday. I was on track for 3 minute loops instead of 4. I called it after 8 loops. When I got home, my BP was 76/58. Someday my heart needs to learn I no longer have an extra "valve".

Walked for a mile and a half this morning, and 4 miles this afternoon. I'm hurting LOL

Today when it reached 50 degrees outside, I went for a walk. I went at the fast pace from yesterday. I was on track for 3 minute loops instead of 4. I called it after 8 loops. When I got home, my BP was 76/58. Someday my heart needs to learn I no longer have an extra "valve".
You gave me a nasty moment there! The hottest day I ever struggled through was 47 degrees.

The new normal on the new meds seems to be low BP in the morning. This morning wasn't too low, and it was 50 f, so I went to walk. At loop 10, I began to feel it... so I stopped. Still 10 loops at good, but not great speed worked for me.

I did 15 loops this twilight. I held my abdomen firm, and it helped. I am thinking that water is the difference. I am more hydrated in the afternoon/ evening. It seems to help the BP, so more water in before the morning loop will be the new check.

Last edited:
Today was a by day. I did 10 loops at high speed this afternoon. I am contemplating some elliptical later tonight.

I did 15 minutes of full resistance elliptical before bed.

Last edited:
Today, I made sure to be really hydrated in the morning. I got off to a late start, but it warmed early. I did 12 loops this morning. I could have pushed it to more, but my BP was feeling low... so I held off.

In the twilight, I did ten loops. I should of done two more, but it was getting dark.

I have done 30 minutes of Elliptical before bed. Hopefully, I can sleep tonight.

Last edited:
I visited a chakrakchia today...think folk-style chiropractor:grin:. Only had to travel like half an hour by train...

He did his work on my shoulders, possibly put my luxated shoulder closer to its normal position, did something so my other shoulder isn't hurting any more, and advised me not to subject the luxated shoulder to an operation (warning me about the stories he has heard from patients, obviously some that went to him after not really successful chirurgical interventions). Now I've got my doubts and am not sure what to do:shade:.

I visited a chakrakchia today...think folk-style chiropractor:grin:. Only had to travel like half an hour by train...

He did his work on my shoulders, possibly put my luxated shoulder closer to its normal position, did something so my other shoulder isn't hurting any more, and advised me not to subject the luxated shoulder to an operation (warning me about the stories he has heard from patients, obviously some that went to him after not really successful chirurgical interventions). Now I've got my doubts and am not sure what to do:shade:.

Let him do his magic for a while, and see if you can avoid surgery. The body doesn't like to be opened, we're basically water balloons, so avoid it if you can. I managed to avoid knee surgery for 22 years with physical therapy and then constant exercise after that. It finally caught up to me this year, as I couldn't walk on the knee anymore, so now I'm doing PT in recovering from plica tendon surgery, but I'll get it back to strength hopefully in the next month or so.

I echo the above.

Today is a very low blood pressure day. So I have done 15 minutes of elliptical in the afternoon.... and wore myself out. So we will try tomorrow.

Yeah, the opposite opinion is "get it fixed while you're younger and you'd recover faster and with less risk of complications":thumbsup:. I still don't know, but am giving it a long, hard thought. ('Cuz thinkin' is hard, dontchaknow:grin:?)

Pah... all of the changing weather (the worst being yesterday when it was supposed to be in the low 50s and was instead in the mid 60s and I'd dressed appropriately for my walk, but not in layers, so the choice was being too hot or too cold) and my nephew getting sick finally came home to roost and I'm now sick. No walking today.

Today is a normal BP day. I did 14 loops today at 10am. Planning on a later afternoon 14 loops.

At 315pm, I went out and did 12 loops. I would have done more, but the deer herd was in the middle of it all... and I did not want to scatter them.

Last edited:
Today is a normal BP day. I did 14 loops today at 10am. Planning on a later afternoon 14 loops.

At 315pm, I went out and did 12 loops. I would have done more, but the deer herd was in the middle of it all... and I did not want to scatter them.
In the middle of what, your loop trajectory? Well, that's a noble impulse to not worry the animals!

Pah... all of the changing weather (the worst being yesterday when it was supposed to be in the low 50s and was instead in the mid 60s and I'd dressed appropriately for my walk, but not in layers, so the choice was being too hot or too cold) and my nephew getting sick finally came home to roost and I'm now sick. No walking today.
And it's not just a cold- its apparently the flu. Woke up this morning with a 102F fever, so no walking for a while.

In the middle of what, your loop trajectory? Well, that's a noble impulse to not worry the animals!

Well I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains, just a few miles from Town, and up like 1200 feet (365 meters) in an under incorporated area. So surrounded by trees and there are wide swaths of them between houses and the dispersed roads. The deer have to cross our area (and our road) to reach the reservoir and another water source. We also have a number of oaks in our area (being right on the oak/pine/ redwood treeline), so acorns/ food are common. So we see them on a daily, if not bi-daily basis. So other than stressing the Buck and the under-buck and making them get aggressive, I want them to pass through our area rather than have to take the route near the highway (where they will often get hit... the fate of most of the last deer herd). (I have also dropped apple bits for them in our area.) So, I give them right of way.

This morning I did 14 loops. No deer in sight, which was odd.

This afternoon I did 12 loops. Spooked the Buck, The Underbuck, and the Underbuck's sister, before I even knew they were there. They bolted up the hill to safety.

Post dinner: Now as long as my blood sugar doesn't get too out of whack from all the carbs I ate, things should be fine.

Last edited:

Is your shoulder dislocated?

Definitely would see a doctor and get some Information if it is something that serious. Surgery is nothing to sneeze at though.

I have let injuries go for a long time without doing anything about them. I think it really depends on the nature of the injury whether that is a good idea or not. I still need to get some X rays I've been putting off

Been going a bit easy and steady on the exercise and reducing my calorie intake. Yesterday was a day for pushups, sit-ups, punch step exercises and line drills, followed by a routine of 4 variations of chest press. Today I just did some maintenance throughout the day (biceps, triceps, shoulders, etc). Just have back and legs to do later.

Is your shoulder dislocated?
Not sure if a luxation counts as "dislocated". I am moving and training mostly normally...it's just that the bone (I think it's called scapula?) is jutting out from the body (and I switched to training mostly with newbies and/or lighter partners, when doing BJJ, in order not to cause undue stress to my shoulder:thumbsup:).

Definitely would see a doctor and get some Information if it is something that serious. Surgery is nothing to sneeze at though.
I did, and that's how I got to surgery. After a discussion with the family, it seems I'd better do it after all, since I got warned that it might get worse if I let it languish.

And it's not just a cold- its apparently the flu. Woke up this morning with a 102F fever, so no walking for a while.
Get better soon, man!

Well I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains, just a few miles from Town, and up like 1200 feet (365 meters) in an under incorporated area. So surrounded by trees and there are wide swaths of them between houses and the dispersed roads. The deer have to cross our area (and our road) to reach the reservoir and another water source. We also have a number of oaks in our area (being right on the oak/pine/ redwood treeline), so acorns/ food are common. So we see them on a daily, if not bi-daily basis. So other than stressing the Buck and the under-buck and making them get aggressive, I want them to pass through our area rather than have to take the route near the highway (where they will often get hit... the fate of most of the last deer herd). (I have also dropped apple bits for them in our area.) So, I give them right of way.

This morning I did 14 loops. No deer in sight, which was odd.
That's describing a different life to the one I'm used to, let's just say that:angel:.

Twelve Loops this morning. I did this with core holding positions and near top speed. I am tired. It is as warm in this early morning as the high was for most of the week. If this keeps up, I might have to go earlier in the morning to walk without a sweat.

The afternoon got taken up with errands....

I did 20 minutes hard on the elliptical before bed.

Last edited:
Tonight I focused more on cardio and targeted weight training. We have had to cut back a bit on food as well which means going for more mass isn't the best idea in the world. Instead I'm in hungry fighter mode and working more towards overall athleticism and speed. So tonight I basically shadow boxed the whole time, alternating with jumping jacks and skip knee. After that I did three types of bicep curls at somewhat heavy weight but low rep. However I followed that with very high rep, lower weight on the triceps. Then after I did shadow boxing again but this time with a focus on rapid fire jabs.

My goal right now is to eliminate a gut I gained over the past few months and improve my overall cardio for my lungs

My Bad. I forgot to post earlier.

I did 10 loops this morning and called it early because of blood pressure.

This evening I did 12 loops, finishing up as it was getting dark.

Well only a little late today.

I did 12 loops this morning. The weather is fluxing a lot recently. So I went out at 1045 because "coffee first". (Though I had hydrated with warm water early-early before the coffee.) The temp was cold, but the wind was warm. So exercise, yah.

Good luck Asen.

Yesterday I did 12 loops at twilight.

This morning I did 10 loops because me knees are reminding me that I used to fence and I am getting old.

Tonight at twilight, I did 10 loops for much the same reasons I only did 10 in the morning.

I may have to take a by day tomorrow... instead of wed when I am supposed to be facing rain.

Took a 10-day vacation, from the internet as well as from my job & usual location. While I was gone, I went hiking a couple of times, running a couple of times, and walked a lot.

I was going to start up with my personal trainer again tomorrow, but I'm pretty wiped out from the trip, so I'll get back to that on Monday.

So, today was the first day getting on the exercise bike since my knee surgery a little more than 6 weeks ago. My knee didn't dig it, but dealt with it for about 30 minutes...then at minute 32, it said, "I've had enough of this shit, get off the bike." So I did. :-)

Now, two icepacks later, my knee is perhaps willing to talk to me again lol. I haven't told it that we're doing the same thing again on Thursday...

Tuesday was a by day for me. So of course, skipped one walk. I did a twilight walk. I did 12 loops. My knee and back were reminding me why I needed a by day.

I may make today a by day. Just to make sure.

Got out yesterday to do my 2 miles ... think I'm still pushing to be over the flu too soon. If the rain lets up, I'll try a more reasonable mile.

I'm out of the hospital for now (need to go back for checks next week). I'm going to need about 6 months of recovery for full recovery - the bones need to ossify around the titanium plaque:shade:.
For now, speech to text it is. If I can find one that works, that is.

OTOH, the operation was around $1000 over the basic health insurance, which should be paid by my additional health insurance (subject to approval by a commission, but if they deny it, I'm not renewing the insurance next year:thumbsup:). Either way, I've heard that's outrageously low by the standards of some other places!

Last edited:
I'm out of the hospital for now (need to go back for checks next week). I'm going to need about 6 months of recovery for full recovery - the bones need to ossify around the titanium plaque:shade:.
For now, speech to text it is.

OTOH, the operation was around $1000 over the basic health insurance, which should be paid by my additional health insurance (subject to approval by a commission, but if they deny it, I'm not renewing the insurance next year:thumbsup:). Either way, I've heard that's outrageously low by the standards of some other places!

Glad it went well. Hope the recovery is fast

I'm in the US and I looked at all the items on my bill after a surgery once, dear lord were they overcharging for things (some of them were pretty crazy like hundreds or thousands for some blood work). My insurance usually covered things (I do live in Massachusetts though where we have Masshealth). Deductibles will often get you though and if you don't have insurance or your insurance doesn't cover everything, it can be expensive (often varies a lot from state to state).

I’ve been walking a mile in the evenings on the treadmill. Goal - sleep better. It has been working. I don’t think I’m losing any weight because of it, but at least I sleep better. Been mostly able to sleep through the night without any long wake ups

I’ve been doing archery which occasionally makes me break a light sweat. I have been doing a bit of lat exercises with the dumbbells specifically to help with archery, as well as holding a light weight at arms length to help with stabilization muscles.

Mountain biking is on hiatus until spring. I’m not set up for winter. Archery is possible but does require some prep or going to the $5 a day range.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back