The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Today it was rainy, but I'd already planned to hike so did. 5.7 km on some pretty rough and muddy terrain- it was only a light sprinkle- didn't really kick up until I was done.

Did a six-mile run this morning in six-degree weather. Certainly wasn't easy, but also not as difficult as I anticipated. Very grateful for the down jacket my parents brought me from Norway and the wool cap I bought in Ireland.

Yesterday was 12 loops called on account of my knee and how friggen cold it was (and this was 1130 - high sun).

Today was 8 loops called on account of my knee. Today's early morning walk was warmer than the high yesterday.

I did some stretches and walking about in the house. Then went out for 5 loops terminated with pain.

Last edited:
Yesterday was my birthday so planned to take the day off. Ended up getting a bit of a walk to and from dinner I treated myself to- good thing as it appears that I can finally call my wife 'Ex' and was processing that. Today it's rainy and cold like my mood, so huddling inside.

Yesterday was my birthday so planned to take the day off. Ended up getting a bit of a walk to and from dinner I treated myself to- good thing as it appears that I can finally call my wife 'Ex' and was processing that. Today it's rainy and cold like my mood, so huddling inside.

We send vibes in your direction.

Congrats on upgrading Wife 1.0 to Ex2.0:thumbsup:!

Did a session with the personal trainer this morning, focused mainly on pulling motions, followed by another outdoor run in single-digit temperatures. It's really not that bad, except that the nozzle of my water bottle freezes shut & then I can't get anymore water. 4 miles today.

Well, today is not quite a "where is Noah? moment", but it is too wet. So I did 45 minute low intensity elliptical while doing sudoku. puzzles.

I’ve been doing fairly inconsistent workouts in my home gym over the past few months and not really making any progress. Part of it is that I’ve put together my own routine and I get bored easily so I tend to take one extra rest day, which turns into two, which becomes a week.

So last weekend I decided to put up some money as a motivator, and hopefully get a decent routine.

I bought one of the Athlean-X training programs, as I often use the guy’s YouTube videos for ideas on my own workouts. Picked up the athlete one, as it focuses on weight loss, endurance training, and basic muscle building (but not focused on getting super bulky or anything like that).

I’m one week in and so far it’s working great. I’m able to do everything at home, which is really important as my time is very limited and if I have to drive to a gym I’ll never end up doing it.

I like the variety and the way the Athlean-X trainer explains stuff, so I don’t think I’ll get bored with it. The whole thing cost me $100 for “lifetime” access (I.e. I’m going to back everything up on my computer), and the full program runs 12 weeks.

I’ve committed to myself to get through the entire program without slacking off, even if I end up hating it partway through.

I’ve been doing fairly inconsistent workouts in my home gym over the past few months and not really making any progress. Part of it is that I’ve put together my own routine and I get bored easily so I tend to take one extra rest day, which turns into two, which becomes a week.

So last weekend I decided to put up some money as a motivator, and hopefully get a decent routine.

I bought one of the Athlean-X training programs, as I often use the guy’s YouTube videos for ideas on my own workouts. Picked up the athlete one, as it focuses on weight loss, endurance training, and basic muscle building (but not focused on getting super bulky or anything like that).

I’m one week in and so far it’s working great. I’m able to do everything at home, which is really important as my time is very limited and if I have to drive to a gym I’ll never end up doing it.

I like the variety and the way the Athlean-X trainer explains stuff, so I don’t think I’ll get bored with it. The whole thing cost me $100 for “lifetime” access (I.e. I’m going to back everything up on my computer), and the full program runs 12 weeks.

I’ve committed to myself to get through the entire program without slacking off, even if I end up hating it partway through.

Good luck with the program! And you're absolutely right, consistency is the key to getting any results. Even when I'm tired or feel like shit, I guilt myself into doing the exercise program that's set for that day. That said, it took a while to kinda get my brain used to the whole idea of "we're working out, no matter what!"

The weekend ended up being by days.

Today, despite a twinge in my knee, I did 17 loops. That is enough for real exercise, but not enough to trigger my fitness watch going "YOU HAVE MET YOUR GOAL OF 10,000 Steps" once every hour after that.

Edit/ Addition: So I have taken to doing walk sessions inside the house to keep my knees (and ankles) from stiffening up. So just before bed, I got the notice, you have done 10,000 steps. Luckily it only went off once more before midnight and reset.

Last edited:
I forgot to post this weekend - did 4 miles on Saturday across some really rough ground, so I count it as more. Walked another half mile in some shoes I shouldn't have done so in, so was recovering yesterday. Still not back into the walk every day mode.

Today I am planning two walks again, like I had been before the storms and cold fronts. So this morning after breakfast and the therapeutic dose of caffeine, I went out and did 14 loops. My knee bothered me a little in the beginning and I had heart dip at loop 8. My knee needs to be warmed up. If I don't focus on it, I can get through it and get it ready to work. The heart dip happened because I was doing nothing with my core - keeping it firm keeps the BP more stable. So, one more ball to make sure I am juggling.

So I did 12 more loops this afternoon. I think my knee was still warm from the previous bit.

Last edited:
Halfway through the 12-week cycle of half-marathon training. None of it is easy, but the long runs are feeling easier than they have during prior training cycles.

This half-marathon will be my ~10th unofficial one that I'm doing on my own, judging time and distance via the Runkeeper app.

I am also signed up for the Chicagoland Half-Marathon on May 7th, which will be my second half-marathon on an official course with official times. The other one I did was long prior to the pandemic. 2017, iirc.

Yestereday - Wednesday was a planned By Day. I did one session of 15 loops.

Today - Thursday - I did a morning set of 12 loops. I did an afternoon set of 12 loops.

Friday: Eight loops done in the AM-ish and I did eight more later in the afternoon. My barometric knees reminded me that it would be raining soon.

Saturday was a rainy day. I tried to get out and walk like three times in a dry patch, but alas rain would restarts. I got four laps in. I did some elliptical time later that evening.

Sunday: 15 loops woohoo. Maybe more this late afternoon.
It is now later this afternoon. I added 11 more loops because I could. The wind and cold are picking up, so I am going to hide.

I need to get back into the daily posting habit. It makes me more likely to go do things.

Last edited:
Friday - had to cancel my hike because of the car, but still got in 1 mile
Saturday - got in a mile around the neighborhood
Sunday - rainy and cold, so my hike was canceled.

Totally agree on the posting daily.

My half-marathon training plan called for a 7-mile run yesterday. I tried to push it to 10 miles, because it was a really nice day out, but hit a wall at 9 miles and had to walk that last mile. Been pretty consistently weighing in around 185, which is still 20 lbs above my goal weight, but is definite progress from the beginning of the year.

Today has an AM walk and ideally a PM walk around 1500. My 0930 walk did fourteen loops.

(okay, posting every day... or blarg trying....)

2ND POST: 1430, good for twelve loops. My two plus miles for today.

Last edited:
Almost Slipped - Every day posting... because every day some kind of exercise

Today, before the rain begins and the temp drops even more, I managed 18 loops. Woohoo, a record of sorts. And a good thing, as I am probably not getting a second walk this afternoon.

Got a 4.5-mile run in this morning.

Weighed in at ~183, which is the lowest since October, although still 18 pounds above my goal.

I'm hiking an hour every day wi the dog. As the weather improves we'll go a wee bit longer. I'm also doing tai chi form after the walk, but getting back to where I was is a long, slow journey.
Also doing more serious stretches, about a half hour a day, aiming to open up my hips. Seeing some progress there, though it's slow going tearing. To think I used to be able to lift one foot over my head.
I'm starting a dumbell circuit this weekend. I'll either see the benefit or stroke out. I'll try and keep you guys posted!

Did a bit over two miles. It's starting to get lighter out later which is improving my mood also!

Got a 4.5-mile run in this morning.

Weighed in at ~183, which is the lowest since October, although still 18 pounds above my goal.

So personal question if you don't mind? How tall are you? Reason I ask relates to discussions I've had with my doctor about weight, which seem to be completely unreasonable. For example, I'm 6'3" tall, and I weigh around 185 pounds, give or take a few pounds either way. My doctor seems to think I should weigh 165 (!) which is nearly impossible for me, considering the weight lifting and ice hockey that are my exercise routine. I feel pretty fit overall (well getting back to it after knee surgery anyway) so I don't worry about what the doctor says about weight anymore...

So personal question if you don't mind? How tall are you? Reason I ask relates to discussions I've had with my doctor about weight, which seem to be completely unreasonable. For example, I'm 6'3" tall, and I weigh around 185 pounds, give or take a few pounds either way. My doctor seems to think I should weigh 165 (!) which is nearly impossible for me, considering the weight lifting and ice hockey that are my exercise routine. I feel pretty fit overall (well getting back to it after knee surgery anyway) so I don't worry about what the doctor says about weight anymore...
The BMI recommendations feel bizarre. I am just under 5'11" (starting to shrink maybe). I weight 190lbs. The lowest I have weighed since college is 180lbs. At that I look pretty fit. The idea that I should be 165 lbs (appropriate BMI for my height) is sort of ridiculous. Maybe 175 I could see. But that's a stretch

I don't know about BMI and don't really worry about it at my weight. I know I need to lose and that's enough. After I have my bariatric surgery I'm preparing for- then I'll start to worry about that.

I'm 5' 10".

Not sure what I "should" weigh per BMI, but BMI is a hot mess of a measurement anyway. Especially for athletes. According to BMI, peak era Marshawn Lynch was obese, and there's no possible way that's true.

Honestly, the number I'm actually concerned about, far more than my weight, is my body fat percentage, which is currently slightly above the high end of the healthy range. Specifically 25.2%, where, according to my personal trainer, the healthy range for men is 10% to 25%.

But weight is a lot easier to track, which is why it's the main measure I use day-to-day. I have a scale at home; I don't have a body fat percentage measuring device.

I set my goal weight at 165 because that's what I pretty consistently weighed up until about eight years ago, when I started going pretty steadily up, topping out a little over 190. Never quite hit 200. I'm not sure if 165 is actually a realistic goal for 45-year-old E-Rocker, but it's at least a target to work towards. Incidentally, I had a physical last week and my doctor wants me to get down to 171.

Today, I did eight loops, but packed it in early due to knee pain (probably related to the 10+ degree drop from cool yesterday to cold today.

Today - I did eight loops in the AM. I had to stop due to a heart flutter and bp issue. Safer than sorry right?

A few hours later, I went out again. I seemed heart stable. So I did 14 loops. I am tired, but it worked. I need to get consistency going again,

Today - I did eight loops in the AM. I had to stop due to a heart flutter and bp issue. Safer than sorry right?

A few hours later, I went out again. I seemed heart stable. So I did 14 loops. I am tired, but it worked. I need to get consistency going again,
Me too... I know I need to, and then I don't. The daylight is lasting longer here though, so I have more of a chance to go out a bit later.

Almost Forgot -

I am not feeling "well". I did a half day, so I did 15 loops this afternoon. I wish I was feeling well. I wanted to go to Dundracon.

So, somehow, my household had managed to "miss" getting Covid for the past, uh... 2 years? 3 years? Whatever it is. Until this week. And it fucking sucks. I'm fully vaccinated, and it still did a number on me. Got the Mrs. as well. I was hoping my son would dodge it, as we stayed away from him, and he tested negative a few days ago, but he's got cold chills this morning, so I think it got him too. He's young and in great shape, but he is Type 1 Diabetic, so we have some concern. Covid is seriously messing with my blood sugar...I'm hungry all the time, and almost passed out yesterday morning from low blood sugar (for those that don't know, you get that cool tunnel vision that slowly starts to close in...)

So, TL/DR version: Fuck Covid! :madgoose:

Ditto

Okay. I am not feeling well. I could function, but I am not inclined. I am also bummed about missing my favorite con, but if my immune is weakened, I would catch con-crud or covid or worse yet the current flu.

I should take a by day. Maybe tomorrow if I don't feel better.

The morning turned into 10 laps. A sad, but adequate performance. But Hey I am sick - a little.

This afternoon I should of blown it off. But I went out. I did another 10 laps. I am holding some.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

Hope you and your family feel better soon, bleys21 bleys21 .

Thanks for the well wishes! I got off my ass and went outside today and just did some crap around the yard. Still weak, but it was a nice day, and better than being stuck inside.

On the good news front, my son tested again, and he's still showing negative for Covid. Weird, but I'll take it. If he can avoid getting it, that would make me feel a lot better, as his chances of having complications are way higher than mine...

Went on a 4 mile walk today- it was cold as balls and one section that looked like water was black ice and down I went! Didn't get hurt but was a bit sore and slept on and off the rest of the day.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back