The physical fitness encouragement and accountability thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Got in about half a mile today- for some reason, the back was hurting me worse. I have a procedure tomorrow, so doubt I'll get anything in. Hopefully the recovery will let me at least move about so my back can stay unclenched and heal.

I run every Friday for about 5 miles. I also play table tennis every Saturday with friends. In case you think that table tennis isn't a sport and it doesn't help to keep fit, then read this article https://pingpongacademy.org/benefits-of-table-tennis/ I hope all the questions will go away. It's already become a habit for me and I don't force myself to do it, I just do it every week.

Managed 5k in a little under 28 minutes today and somehow my very aspirational goal of 10km in an hour seems not entirely unattainable some day.

Got in about half a mile today- for some reason, the back was hurting me worse. I have a procedure tomorrow, so doubt I'll get anything in. Hopefully the recovery will let me at least move about so my back can stay unclenched and heal.

Hope it goes well and you have a swift recovery.

Yesterday was a By Day. So no AM walk. I should have kept it a "full" by day, but I never can.
Yesterday PM I did 15 loops.

Today AM - I did 15 loops. Trying to find a general focus for the process.

Today PM - I did 8 loops called on account of deer.

Last edited:
Today I did 13 loops (1.3 mi) and I think I found a routine for general focus that works.

PM I did 15 loops. My knees are doing better, but all the time reminding me they are limited.

Last edited:
Today I was constantly interrupted.

I did 6 loops at noon, then people came home.

I did 8 loops in the afternoon but was interrupted by people showing up at my house.

Yesterday AM - I did 11 loops, but packed it in as neighbors were having their house and property bug sprayed. (They took a tree down and really disturbed the local bugs). Rather than suck fumes on every loop, I packed it in.

Yesterday PM - I did 20 loops.

Today AM - I did 10 loops. I was trying new functions with the new breathing process. It seemed to work.

PM today was full of other events. I was not able to get out to walk before the dark.

Last edited:
Been keeping up with exercise every morning. Not going crazy just doing a bit of weight work, a little shadow boxing, some kicking drills, stretching and, on certain days, a run. We just moved into a new place so it is good in some ways bad in others. The downside is I am on the second floor and it is a very old building (they are all pretty old around here, with super wide floorboards). So I have to very quietly shadow box in order not to disturb the person downstairs (she hasn't complained at all but I don't want to subject her the ceiling creaking loudly in the morning). On the plus side I am by the ocean and can go for a pretty good run. Where I was before you really couldn't run that far (there were a lot of aggressive dogs, the smaller ones were fine but the pitbulls chased me a few times when I went on streets beyond my usual route). Here that doesn't seem to be a problem so far. The downside is I was in the highlands before and we had these steep hills that were great for running up, and here it is more level which I don't like as much).

Tried my longer walk yesterday, and this health bit is getting me down as far as my exercise. I got a pain in my leg right before walking, the chilblains on my feet came back even though it's warmer overall- I guess it's the variation in temperature. I could barely make it 1 mile and considering what I was doing before, it's a bit disheartening. I keep telling myself it's getting better, but I think I need to get more consistent about pushing through without overdoing it to help. With that in mind, I think I'm resetting my daily at half a mile starting today so I can get out every day at at least do something.

Tried my longer walk yesterday, and this health bit is getting me down as far as my exercise. I got a pain in my leg right before walking, the chilblains on my feet came back even though it's warmer overall- I guess it's the variation in temperature. I could barely make it 1 mile and considering what I was doing before, it's a bit disheartening. I keep telling myself it's getting better, but I think I need to get more consistent about pushing through without overdoing it to help. With that in mind, I think I'm resetting my daily at half a mile starting today so I can get out every day at at least do something.

Keeping at it is important, even if its not up to your usual standards. I had to keep that in mind all during knee surgery recovery, as I couldn't come close to the workouts I was doing previously. So I'd find something to do, even if it felt kinda stupid, like doing reps with 10 pound dumbbells, as that was all my leg could take at the time.

TL/DR version: Keep at it, this too will pass, and you'll be back to your normal level.

Yesterday AM - I was interrupted by the plumbers. I managed six loops before they go here.

Yesterday PM - I only had an hour to walk, but managed 12 loops.

Today? Windy and cold, waiting for it to warm up some.

10ish AM I got out and "jogged" slowly. I managed 8ish loops (jogging up the hill is mechanically easier as their is less bounce, but tiring). Faster needs to happen.

1530: did one hour and 12 loops. Fast but not too fast.

Last edited:
those of you looking for an ebike, Priority released their e-coaster, which is $2k, and $1600 if you have a costco membership. notably, it's a belt drive bike, which is extremely low maintenance, and has no grease on it.

I'm actually in the final phase of getting my bike- they have to get my rack shipped so waiting for that to come in.

Though looking at that one... not sure now. Do you think that one would take light gravel Raleel Raleel ?

Since it will take sand, wasn't sure.

I'm actually in the final phase of getting my bike- they have to get my rack shipped so waiting for that to come in.

Though looking at that one... not sure now. Do you think that one would take light gravel Raleel Raleel ?

Since it will take sand, wasn't sure.
I would take the e-coast on light gravel. it has 3" tires. Their FAQ says it can soak up a lot of uneven terrain, but it's not a MTB. Cruisers like that are a bit more upright than your DS there.

Treks are great bikes. That one has half the battery and half the motor, but also weighs just a touch over half as much. My money is on the Trek being Class 1, meaning you have to pedal to get assist, while the e-coast is class 2 (you can just turn the throttle and relax). The DS is similar to my eMTB, which is light assist, light weight, class 1. I like it quite a bit, and it fits my goals (lose weight, ride with kid on trails without sticking out a lot). The e-coast fits my wife's goals - sit more upright, have fun on a bike, look cute doing it.

If you have a Costco membership, I would consider the Priority Current as in the same "class" as the Dual Sport. The dual sport is lighter, but the Current has a fair bit more battery, motor, and weight. If you don't, the DS is a better deal than the Current. The big thing about the Current (and the e-coast) is the belt drive. No grease, lasts a lot longer. This may not be a giant issue though.

Either way, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Trek at all. It's a good looking bike from a good brand.

I have a bit of a desire for an Orbea Gain, but it is a lot of cash :smile:

Today I managed to do 12 out of the planned 15 loops. It is warming up to be nicer in the morning. In the summer I tend to get up silly early to walk before it heats up.

I am wondering if my recent, "I can't do as many loops" as I used to is based on halving my caffeine input? I was doing good with the new stretch and mental process focus, but then... blah.. barely covering the basics.

I would take the e-coast on light gravel. it has 3" tires. Their FAQ says it can soak up a lot of uneven terrain, but it's not a MTB. Cruisers like that are a bit more upright than your DS there.

Treks are great bikes. That one has half the battery and half the motor, but also weighs just a touch over half as much. My money is on the Trek being Class 1, meaning you have to pedal to get assist, while the e-coast is class 2 (you can just turn the throttle and relax). The DS is similar to my eMTB, which is light assist, light weight, class 1. I like it quite a bit, and it fits my goals (lose weight, ride with kid on trails without sticking out a lot). The e-coast fits my wife's goals - sit more upright, have fun on a bike, look cute doing it.

If you have a Costco membership, I would consider the Priority Current as in the same "class" as the Dual Sport. The dual sport is lighter, but the Current has a fair bit more battery, motor, and weight. If you don't, the DS is a better deal than the Current. The big thing about the Current (and the e-coast) is the belt drive. No grease, lasts a lot longer. This may not be a giant issue though.

Either way, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Trek at all. It's a good looking bike from a good brand.

I have a bit of a desire for an Orbea Gain, but it is a lot of cash :smile:
Thanks for the assessment! The Trek is Class 1, but Class 2 you can also do pedal assist.

After looking at the e-Coast and the features- and the fact that Costco it was $1599 I got the e-Coast (looked at the Current, but since the big difference was the mid-drive rather than hub and the Trek was a hub drive, I figured e-Coast would work for me). I ended up getting the step-through also- from my fit on the Trek (a Medium), I should have the right height, but they say a 30" inseam and mine measures at 28-29". I think the Diamond would have been good, but didn't want to take the chance. And finding out that Step-throughs are more sturdy now for larger hills and the fact that I'm not doing mountain or rough stuff meant that the step-through should be fine. The 56 lbs worries me a bit since the limit on the rack I'm getting is 60 lbs, but it should be fine, hopefully.

My mountain bike is a Trek. I've been happy with it.

...that reminds me, I really should get my mountain bike out and actually ride it...

After this week, I'm taking a break from working with a personal trainer for a bit for financial reasons. I'm hoping that by autumn, I'll have my $ sorted to where I can pick it back up. I'll still go to the gym on my own.

Half-marathon is coming up on May 7th. Right now I'm not feeling ready. I was sick for a bit which really broke my training routine and I'm having a hard time picking it up again.

Saturday - Full By Day

Sunday AM - 15 loops with new process

Sunday PM - 12 loops but working on speed.

Monday: AM 12 loops with abdominal work

Last edited:
Tuesday AM 12 loops just barely making it

Tuesday PM 15 loops with new process.

Wednesday AM 19 loops. I had a hard stop as I had bp drop/ cardio issues.

Wednesday PM: I did a simple three loops being walked by the Dog (Huskies... who can pull... figure it).

Last edited:
This morning was my last workout with a personal trainer until I can get my finances sorted. Still planning to go to the gym on my own.

Half-marathon is coming up a week from Sunday. Right now I don't feel ready. Hoping to change that between now and then.

My kinesie/physio therapeute commended me today, kinda...:grin:

Well, he actually said that he is devising new ways of making me move my hand every day.
After I asked, he also expressed some regrets that he won't be able to use them on others.
Why? "Nobody else (that he's seen, presumably) can take that amount of pain, or for that long":shade:. (He'd also said earlier that we need more radical treatments, because my shoulder is obstinately refusing to listen to the standard methods. On the bright side, my wife is almost used to me having blue spots on my chest, shoulder and back, so that's a bonus:angel:!)

Bottom line, I feel like I was commended, and if I play Amber, I'd use a lot of points for the top rank in Endurance:thumbsup:!

We continue with the lower blood pressure. I know this is a goal. Because of physio-adaption and enough saturation of the medicines, I am now even lower than I was. I am running around 108/70-112/70ish, instead of where I was at 128/76-135/80. (And this is down from the 200/90 or 150/80 it was a while back.) As some of you might of noticed, my number of loops has dropped. I am having a hard time dealing with any exertion at the lower blood pressure and can only get towards my old goals when my BP rises (due to diet, too much caffeine, reduced medicine intake, etc).

Yesterday I only managed 5.5 loops (no PM as there was obligations, but I was pumping up my BP during that due to a way amount of caffeine.

My BP is not dropping as much as it was when exorcising, but there is less distance to go. I managed 8 loops before I pulled it in this AM.

My kinesie/physio therapeute commended me today, kinda...:grin:

Well, he actually said that he is devising new ways of making me move my hand every day.
After I asked, he also expressed some regrets that he won't be able to use them on others.
Why? "Nobody else (that he's seen, presumably) can take that amount of pain, or for that long":shade:. (He'd also said earlier that we need more radical treatments, because my shoulder is obstinately refusing to listen to the standard methods. On the bright side, my wife is almost used to me having blue spots on my chest, shoulder and back, so that's a bonus:angel:!)

Bottom line, I feel like I was commended, and if I play Amber, I'd use a lot of points for the top rank in Endurance:thumbsup:!

Glad to hear that the torture, uh PT is working! Why do I not remember what you did to your hand?

And nice Amber reference, don't think for a moment that I'm going to let you outbid me! :evil:

Glad to hear that the torture, uh PT is working!
Hey, some people even pay a premium for this without even needing physio...:grin:

I still don't like it.

Why do I not remember what you did to your hand?
I broke my clavicle in the most ridiculous possible manner - while playing with the kids on a 8 cm thick wrestling mat. Operation, recovery...

And nice Amber reference, don't think for a moment that I'm going to let you outbid me! :evil:
We'll see about that! How many Disadvantages do you plan on living with:devil:?

Hey, some people even pay a premium for this without even needing physio...:grin:

I still don't like it.

I broke my clavicle in the most ridiculous possible manner - while playing with the kids on a 8 cm thick wrestling mat. Operation, recovery...

Just take some bad stuff and call it a day.

I still don't like it.

Lol, Disadvantages and Bad Stuff were the best part of the game! If you had a lot of Bad Stuff, you were the life of every party!

I do remember one auction (before we went away from them; this particular one may have caused that...) where the bidding for Warfare quickly rose to over 50 points! I had to stop the auction, reiterate how much powers cost, and how being the best warrior in the universe doesn't really matter if you can't leave Amber.

I don't remember what the second go-round got to, but it was more reasonable.

I was up to a 36" waist three weeks ago, but my vanity kicked in, so as of today I'm down to 34" and needing a belt. The goal is to get down to 32" as that's what I've been for the longest time. When I was younger and disco dancing all the time, I had 28" snake hips, but I was also on a disco biscuit diet back then and that isn't really sustainable these days!

To lose the 2"-3" in that space of time I upped my walking to thirty miles a week, mixing in a little bit of cross-country hiking (much to the wee dug's delight). Lots of core-targeted yoga and stretching and mobility drills. And upping some of my gong fu, especially weighted drills like the "tiger claw brick drop". Cutting back on carbs and adding in lots of salad greens and more fruit. And only drinking once a week (like tonight!).

I did 15 loops this AM after doing a lot of prep, lowering my meds, and taking in some caffeine to up the standing BP.

Adding on: I did 15 loops in the PM. I did a lot less prep and no additional meds. I am going to feel this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Lol, Disadvantages and Bad Stuff were the best part of the game! If you had a lot of Bad Stuff, you were the life of every party!

I do remember one auction (before we went away from them; this particular one may have caused that...) where the bidding for Warfare quickly rose to over 50 points! I had to stop the auction, reiterate how much powers cost, and how being the best warrior in the universe doesn't really matter if you can't leave Amber.

Since we were all power centric, we had fewer points to play with. The GM could not goad us into spending more to be first, especially since we knew that it was only "vs our generation" and the elders would crush us (their listed bottom was better than our first) and that it had no applicability when dealing with chaos or other things.

Since we were all power centric, we had fewer points to play with. The GM could not goad us into spending more to be first, especially since we knew that it was only "vs our generation" and the elders would crush us (their listed bottom was better than our first) and that it had no applicability when dealing with chaos or other things.
Warfare sure has applicability when dealing with Chaos warriors...:shock:

5 mile pace run this morning, which went fine. Tomorrow is a 12-mile run, which will be the last long run before the 5/7 half-marathon. This coming week is just short runs and rest days.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back