Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Haven't had the time to investigate more prog rock albums or the money to buy them if I liked them, but still really enjoying Camel:

With later SB albums there are a handful of tracks on each album that shine and the rest are okay., The balance on the two I've mentioned is a lot more former than latter for me. Having said that, V aside, I've always found that with SB, even with Neal; oddly enough for prog, I find Neal to be a really formulaic writer at times.

That's probably true. In practice in these days of MP3, I often end up with just to have the songs like from each album on my devices and eventually forget that among the gems there were also some ... non-gems.

Big Big Train are probably my second favourite Prog band currently going. David Longdon does have a touch of the Gabriel's at times and can be an acquired taste but the songs are meticulously (in the good sense of the term) crafted and they mine a lyrical furrow that puts them apart; very, very British in tone, despite a Swede and an American (Nick, latterly of Spock's) in the group. They sing of science, art, history and folklore. If I was to advise a listen it would be Folklore, as it's both superb and accessible. Looking forward to seeing them at Hackney Empire in November.

So what's your favourite? :-)
I've made a note of Folklore. I might hegde and get Folkore and Oblivion Particle together and see how it goes.

Big Big Train are probably my second favourite Prog band currently going. David Longdon does have a touch of the Gabriel's at times and can be an acquired taste but the songs are meticulously (in the good sense of the term) crafted and they mine a lyrical furrow that puts them apart; very, very British in tone, despite a Swede and an American (Nick, latterly of Spock's) in the group. They sing of science, art, history and folklore. If I was to advise a listen it would be Folklore, as it's both superb and accessible. Looking forward to seeing them at Hackney Empire in November.

BBT is great. I'm more fond of the Underfall Yard and the English Electric albums than what they've done since, but I do love the addition of the Swede, Rikard Sjöblom. Beardfish was an amazing band, and his two most recent Gungfly albums have been decent too.

Have we talked about The Tangent yet?

Currently invested in a metric progton of stuff. Much of Zappa's main sequence (the seventies, his eighties stuff sucks). Some Gentle Giant and some Crim. I've owned some of their stuff before over the years, but ended up getting rid of it for some reason. You either really like Crim or just don't listen ot them at all. It comes and goes. Got some Santana and Return to Foerver as well

Have we talked about The Tangent yet?

They are essentially a modern Cantebury band. I don't know any others that have that vibe.

Related to the Roine Stolt musical tree as well: he's on some of their stuff (i have Proxy and the Music That Died Alone). The excellent Jonas Reingold is also a member.

That's probably true. In practice in these days of MP3, I often end up with just to have the songs like from each album on my devices and eventually forget that among the gems there were also some ... non-gems.

I'm so old school it's tragic. Earlier tonight my better half requested that we sit down and have a listen to BBT's latest album, The Grand Tour, in preparation to that November show in the 20 minutes before dinner. I could only dismiss this patently absurd suggestion with "unless it's the whole thing in one sitting, it's really not worth it.":grin:

They are essentially a modern Cantebury band. I don't know any others that have that vibe.

Related to the Roine Stolt musical tree as well: he's on some of their stuff (i have Proxy and the Music That Died Alone). The excellent Jonas Reingold is also a member.

Between the two of us, I think we literally have the entire The Tangent catalogue. Those are the two CDs I'm missing by them. Maybe there's another one I don't have, but I'd have to check.

I went to BBT British Electric Full Powers which collects both British Electric LP plus new songs. I figure that should give me a pretty good feel for the band. I'll let you know how I get on, but prog albums take a bit of time to click so no hurry.

Keystudio...I must own you.

Unfortunately it is massively unavailable unless one is prepared to pay stupid money. I have no stupid money, only sensible money. Not the big money, nor easy money, either

Keystudio...I must own you.

Unfortunately it is massively unavailable unless one is prepared to pay stupid money. I have no stupid money, only sensible money. Not the big money, nor easy money, either

I can't bring myself to pay the $80+ I keep seeing for that, especially when I have Keys to Ascension 1 & 2 from the original run. One of the songs has a slightly different opening (I even bought an MP3 of that version by itself years ago), but it's nothing to write home about.

I went to BBT British Electric Full Powers which collects both British Electric LP plus new songs. I figure that should give me a pretty good feel for the band. I'll let you know how I get on, but prog albums take a bit of time to click so no hurry.

I don't necessarily like the re-order of the tracks, but there is some good material in that collection.

I've been listening to this album all day. East of Eden wasn't really an unknown band in its time: they had scored a top 10 hit in the UK with their version of Jig-a-Jig. Their flautist-violinist-saxophonist-trumpeteer, Dave Arbus, played the violin parts on The Who's Baba O'Reilly. But for whatever reason, they didn't retain the fame (even within prog circles) of the other "mainstream" British prog-rock bands. Anyway, I think this is a really good album (apart from their affinity for backwards recordings on a couple of tracks). Dumarest, in particular-- I think you might like this one. Kind of a blend of early Jethro Tull, middle-era Soft Machine, with a hint of Zappa/Beefheart.

Major release day: Opeth's In Cauda Venenum is out today in both Swedish and English versions. All major streaming platforms, as well as vinyl and CD.

One of the Swedish tracks:

I've been listening to this album all day. East of Eden wasn't really an unknown band in its time: they had scored a top 10 hit in the UK with their version of Jig-a-Jig. Their flautist-violinist-saxophonist-trumpeteer, Dave Arbus, played the violin parts on The Who's Baba O'Reilly. But for whatever reason, they didn't retain the fame (even within prog circles) of the other "mainstream" British prog-rock bands. Anyway, I think this is a really good album (apart from their affinity for backwards recordings on a couple of tracks). Dumarest, in particular-- I think you might like this one. Kind of a blend of early Jethro Tull, middle-era Soft Machine, with a hint of Zappa/Beefheart.

Didn’t know this band and this is good, thanks Dahak Dahak!

District 97 is a Chicago-based progressive rock/metal band that sounds something like a cross between U.K., Dream Theater and Heart. Lead singer Leslie Hunt was a contestent on American Idol a few years back, which is a unique pedigree for a prog rock vocalist.

Their new album Screens came out today. Here's the lead single "Sheep", which adds a bit of Steely Dan-style chromatics to the mix mentioned above:

I don't have 46 minutes right now but I liked what I heard in the first few minutes so I'll have to check it out. Good recommendation. :thumbsup:

Lead singer Leslie Hunt was a contestent on American Idol a few years back, which is a unique pedigree for a prog rock vocalist.

It's probably less uncommon that it sounds. Most bands have one or two visionaries with strong ideas about the kind of music they want to play., For the rest of members, a gig is just a gig. You might seem you career take a different muscial direction when you started, but just getting a spot in band that has enough of a following to get proper gigs and put out albums is a big deal. It doesn't mean you aren't committed, just that when at home you probably listen to a different style of music.

Happens with classical musicians as well. Apparently devoting you life training for endless hours with Bach and Vivaldi doesn't protect you from screaming your head off at a K-Pop concert.

The singer from Pagan's Mind was on the Finnish/Norwegian/Swedish (i forget which country they are from) a couple of years back. Not entirely sure why since they are an active band (and very good). He sang Run To The Hill

found a second hand shop so i plundered for 2112, farewell to kings on cd (i have casettes) and King's X's first 3 albums. They aren't especially prog, but those albums are great. Still can't bring myself to buy Tales from Topographic Oceans though. Ridiculous album :grin:

Oh and the last 4 opeth albums as well, now they've ditched the growl vox

...and King's X's first 3 albums. They aren't especially prog, but those albums are great.

They're prog enough by my standards. Kind of to prog metal what Wishbone Ash was/is to progressive rock. Like fans of that band, King's X fans seem to fall into roughly two camps: 1) fans of the specific band and 2) prog fans. They don't seem to attract many "general" rock or metal fans, for whatever reason.

King's X's fourth album is also worth acquiring, if you get a chance. After that, their producer/manager left and they lost the richness of sound from the earlier albums. The fifth album, DogMan, is famously a grunge album, with subsequent albums blending that with a sliver of their earlier sound.

I have their first 4 albums. I also picked up Ogre Tones which is pretty good. But after album #4 they did lose it a bit, which is a shame.

For any one that may be interested, Van Der Graff Generator is touring in the UK this May, though best I can see it doesn't look like Jackson is in the line up.

I am both fascinated and horrified by the above. It's up there with "Hawkwind, Princess, Valhalla" in terms of totally committed parodies. What's the backstory?

PS

So this is what Thank You Scientist sound like when they mean it?

Last edited:
Yes, they're sort of a cross between The Mars Volta and Coheed & Cambria in their usual material.

Not really sure why someone would cover an Eddie Murphy song to the point of parodying the video from it, but hey, they're odd ducks.

I don't have 46 minutes right now but I liked what I heard in the first few minutes so I'll have to check it out. Good recommendation. :thumbsup:
Finally had a chance to come back to this...I now have it in my Amazon Smile cart waiting for me to commit to buying it. Just waiting because I had to pay a plumber and a leak detection company to come to our house, and have an electrician coming tomorrow.

Not really sure why someone would cover an Eddie Murphy song to the point of parodying the video from it, but hey, they're odd ducks.

The original video is a gutbuster on its own so I totally get it.

I'm not a big prog rock guy, but my brother and I were really into this record when we were kids. I remember the album cover being disturbing and fascinating at the same time. I didn't see Nektar in the discussion, so 'ere you go-

I'm also a casual fan of pro rasslin' and was pretty surprised when I first heard the following. If I could pick up on it, you guys should get it within the first five notes-

Don't get me started on the Prog n' Wrestling Connection, or I'll flood the thread with Coheed and Cambria, Rush, Genesis, the Moodies, the Dixie Dregs and explain the prog rock connection to NWA World Championship Wrestling's old theme song.

The first season of The Americans has me revisiting the early weird Peter Gabriel solo records. The first three album covers were done by Sleazy aka. Peter Christopherson who went on to be in Throbbing Gristle and the rather amazing experimental electronic duo Coil.

Jolly is a progressive alternative rock band from New York City. I'd describe them as a cross between Nirvana (yes, Kurt Cobain's band) and Genesis. This song shows off that hybrid especially well:

Finally had a chance to come back to this...I now have it in my Amazon Smile cart waiting for me to commit to buying it. Just waiting because I had to pay a plumber and a leak detection company to come to our house, and have an electrician coming tomorrow.
Sadly I have not been able to spring for any records as I ended up having to get our heater replaced to the tune of over $5K on top of the recent plumbing and drywall work, not to mention my son's orthodontia this past summer, his birthday in late October, and now Christmas eating up $. Dammit! And living in California where there's nothing the government won't tax/fee, permits just to replace your heater, which is somehow their business, are ridiculously expensive. So I will have to live vicariously here and look things up on YouTube for the foreseeable future.

So I will have to live vicariously here and look things up on YouTube for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, here's a slice of what I think of as Camel's best line up (featuring King Crimson's Mel Collins on saxophone and Caravan's Richard Sinclair on bass):

In the meantime, here's a slice of what I think of as Camel's best line up (featuring King Crimson's Mel Collins on saxophone and Caravan's Richard Sinclair on bass):

Cool...but now I want a splinter group called Crimson Camel Caravan. Or else that'll be my fictional prog band's name.

Soooo, I'm gonna throw a bone out for all the proggies following this thread.

Today is December 21. Here in the States that would normally be shortened to 12/21, but elsewhere in the world, where the day comes before the month, it is 21/12.

I am posting this at (approximately) 9:12 PM, local time. In military timekeeping that would be 21:12.

You can probably guess where I'm going with this.

BUT.

Because I'm an ornery contrarian, I'm also throwing ponies into the mix, just to cause some of you some cognitive dissonance.

Any of you losing 1d3 SAN is completely coincidental, and totally not my fault.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back