The Punk thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here we go. Share your favourites from the classics to the little known gems. Discuss punk musicians. Argue about whether Blink 182 are punk.

I'll start with a bit of the never knowingly sober Peter and the Test Tube Babies and this look at touring in Britain.

"Leeds? Was full of goths.
Richmond? Full of toffs"

I'm trying to restrain myself from making dozens of posts. I find at my age it's best not to get too excited. Anyway, before I have my bedtime cocoa here's one more...

Some Australian punk now. Radio Birdman always feel like they're a moment away from kicking your head in.

Okay time to stop messing around and get really punk :tongue:

Siege, a band that had a huge influence on Grindcore...

Another punk band championed by metalheads, Ohio's Septic Death. Fronted by Pushead, the guy who did the art for all of the most iconic Metallica shirts BITD.

If we're doing proto- we might as well throw in some post- too...

I'm not big on punk but there was a time when a guy I knew was lending me cassette tapes of punk records all the time. Some of that stuff was fun. Some of it took some effort to listen to and some of it I wasn't even sure it was actually music; he was very much into Crass, for example.

Also, I saw local legendary anarchopunks The Ex live once, which was... an interesting experience, at least what I seem to remember of it as that whole period in my life is a bit blurry at times. The Ex seem to still be going strong.

I'm not big on punk but there was a time when a guy I knew was lending me cassette tapes of punk records all the time. Some of that stuff was fun. Some of it took some effort to listen to and some of it I wasn't even sure it was actually music; he was very much into Crass, for example.
Just curious what are you into then? I know you hate prog. My taste is mostly 90's alternative, classic rock, some punk, some metal, some indie, some progressive rock and some weird electronic (no four on the floor).

Is any hardcore also allowed? Btw, what actually is hardcore? 80's hardcore sounds like punk to me, but 90's hardcore sounds like simplistic metal. After that it became gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) in the 2000's with metalcore.

Is any hardcore also allowed? Btw, what actually is hardcore? 80's hardcore sounds like punk to me, but 90's hardcore sounds like simplistic metal. After that it became gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) in the 2000's with metalcore.
A resounding "hell, yes!" to hardcore. How can you have a discussion about punk and leave out Bad Brains?

And I cut my punk rock teeth on albums like this-

Just curious what are you into then? I know you hate prog. My taste is mostly 90's alternative, classic rock, some punk, some metal, some indie, some progressive rock and some weird electronic (no four on the floor).
I like The Clash, who are considered a punk band most of the time.

I find it very difficult to pinpoint exactly what my taste is as it includes artists or songs from jazz, roots reggae, dub, ska, funk, soul, rhythm and blues, disco, post-punk, new wave, rock, synth pop, rap/hiphop, "alternative/indie", americana and ethnic/world music. Lots of stuff from the 80s and 90s, naturally. I don't like every artist within a specific era, (sub)genre or movement, nor every album or song by a specific artist, most of the time.

Probably the two bands I've enjoyed most consistently would be The Afghan Whigs and Pixies.

Last edited:
If we're doing proto- we might as well throw in some post- too...

Always wondered how Wire, who released Pink Flag in 77' could be 'post-punk' when that album was released at the height of UK punk? But musical labels are pretty meaningless. Either way I consider Pink Flag one of the great rock records the 70s.

Speaking of bands that broke all the punk 'rules.'

Thing with The Germs is that Darby sounds like he is mumbling with marbles in his mouth and one could mistake them for super primitive but if you listen to the late period Pat's guitar playing is crazy intricate: his prog influences are clear. And Darby's lyrics are actually quite sophisticated. To me they are like The Shaggs crossed with King Crimson.

Like The Bad Brains, a lot of bands that came after them and imitated them didn't have the chops to pull it off.

Some of the stuff I was exposed to:

De Boegies

Balthasar Gerards Kommando

Morzelpronk

As a 'genre' the term has always been a bit nebulous. Like a lot of musical genre terms the meaning has changed over the years and is often used in ways more concerned with style, social cliques and nominal politics more than musical substance.

From what I can tell the term first referred to a group of bands like Black Flag, D.O.A., Minor Threat and Bad Brains who played really fast and with a lot of aggression. It grew from there to include elements of crust punk, metal and later even noise, grindcore and avant garde jazz. Personally, not a fan of the NY hardcore bands.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back