Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We all know Obi Wan already. They’re hyping up the villains to create tension. I think most of these creeps showed up in Rebels or some show.

Obi-Wan would eat those inquisitors and their helicopters for breakfast.
I really dread the return of those helicopters and the silly inquisitors with their spinning lightsabers. Hopefully the silliness won't ruin everything.

I really dread the return of those helicopters and the silly inquisitors with their spinning lightsabers. Hopefully the silliness won't ruin everything.
Oh man I really hope that they don't pull this crap.

I mean, we've seen force users do flips before and Palpatine did a creepy corkscrew jump.

But full on helicopter flying? Incredibly stupid.

Meh. Rebels is a kids show. Star wars in general is kiddish fun. It always leans towards what it hopes is neat, not what makes sense.

Meh. Rebels is a kids show. Star wars in general is kiddish fun. It always leans towards what it hopes is neat, not what makes sense.
I wonder how surprised they'll be when they find out that kids aren't that dumb.

Star wars in general is kiddish fun.
Kid-ish maybe, but I still think Star Wars gets a bit too dark and intense at times to be a kids show. I seem to be in the minority though.

Last edited:
Just pretend you're picking flowers for your significant other. Makes it feel much better.
Until you give the kids heads.
Oh, I decided to completely change my post, apparently right after you already quoted it. I apologise for being such a compulsive post editor.

Last edited:
I’m actually fine with the copter sabers compared to what else we are probably going to see: A rematch between Obi-Wan and Vader, which makes me really leery.

I’m actually fine with the copter sabers compared to what else we are probably going to see: A rematch between Obi-Wan and Vader, which makes me really leery.
It breaks canon. But then, all of Disney's stuff does. And I mean the stuff that THEY have acknowledged as Canon.

I mean what’s next? Lightsaber nunchucks?! Lightsaber KNEE-PADS!?

1F0A69C4-0A48-422D-B7ED-FBD9B320C017.jpeg

Yeah it never bothered me. Admittedly that it's animated helps, if it was live action I'd laughed about it.

My son and I watch all the Star Wars shows together, and there are always a few “Why didn’t they just…?” moments or “Really?” moments in every one.

But overall we find them fun and good enough to keep watching.

I suspect the meeting between Obi Wan and Vader is going to be a let down in some way, either because they’ll try for another over-the-top fight like their last one, or because it’ll be short and there will be a very contrived interruption to separate them.

But we’re still looking forward to the show as I expect it’ll be decent enough to be entertaining.

I suspect the meeting between Obi Wan and Vader is going to be a let down in some way, either because they’ll try for another over-the-top fight like their last one, or because it’ll be short and there will be a very contrived interruption to separate them.

But we’re still looking forward to the show as I expect it’ll be decent enough to be entertaining.

Yea, everyone knows going in that a duel would have to be inconclusive or it would invalidate too much.

My son and I watch all the Star Wars shows together, and there are always a few “Why didn’t they just…?” moments or “Really?” moments in every one.
I don't have that level of tolerance, things like that takes me out of the show and I can't get back in.

I don't have that level of tolerance, things like that takes me out of the show and I can't get back in.
I've gotten used to it, as I see it in about 75% of the things I watch or read. Possibly because I've studied storytelling and crafting, and written five novels of my own, so I really notice stuff like that. But then I had to train myself to just accept all but the most egregious or I wouldn't be able to enjoy much media anymore.

The first time I read the Timothy Zahn trilogy when they were first published, I thought they were great. But when I read them again (to my son) not that long ago, I found all kinds of continuity errors, facepalm moments, and plotting issues in them. Things like Luke and Mara on a star destroyer, and she hacks into a computer system, which is detected and so Thrawn orders the entire ship's computer shut down. But then they get trapped in a lift, and suddenly the computer system is able to detect the number of people in the lift and determine which ones are intruders and alert the closest patrol. Best I could figure is that when Zahn jumped from Luke and Mara to other characters for a scene, when he came back he totally forgot about the computer system being shut down and just went on writing. And his editor(s) totally missed it. There's a bunch of stuff like that in the trilogy.

There's always been lots of silliness like that in Star Wars...

I always thought the Emperor said that as kind of a bluff. I mean, they could have been the 501st, but it’s never stated. Sith are big liars anyway.

Yea, everyone knows going in that a duel would have to be inconclusive or it would invalidate too much.
Technically Obi-wan could school Vader again without going against "when I left you I was the learner", but I don't think the audience would buy it.

The fact that everyone seems to forget that Obi-Wan could determine that it was Imperial Stormtroopers in the first movie, who took out the Jawas because they're so precise. And then Leia pretty much confirms it when they escape the Death Star, by saying they let them go...

And the fact that they decimated the crew of the blockade runner in the opening scene...

But nope! They're all terrible shots, every single one of them..

But nope! They're all terrible shots, every single one of them..
I do sometimes wonder what the expected alternative to have been for those who mock generic mooks in media. Should Stormtroopers, James Bond villain henchmen and Foot clan ninjas have actually hit, wounded or maimed the protagonists on a regular basis?

I get that Star Wars’ Stormtroopers are the quick shorthand for this trope (and Star Trek’s redshirts for the another), but sometimes this joke gets old, and now it is in-canon.

Funny enough, the same shows that made the Stormtroopers an in-setting joke to the galactic masses made the Trade federation’s ineptly stupid droids kind of scary.

Star Wars is all over the place eh?

Star Wars is all over the place eh?
That’s pretty much the point I was making above. There’s enough silly stuff in every movie and show that you either accept it and enjoy it for what it is, or it drives you crazy.

For me, I’ve decided to make the conscious choice to just accept a certain amount of inconsistency and over-the-top silliness. Of course, that doesn’t mean they have a blank cheque to be stupid and careless about writing a reasonably decent story (looking at you sequels).

That’s pretty much the point I was making above. There’s enough silly stuff in every movie and show that you either accept it and enjoy it for what it is, or it drives you crazy.

For me, I’ve decided to make the conscious choice to just accept a certain amount of inconsistency and over-the-top silliness. Of course, that doesn’t mean they have a blank cheque to be stupid and careless about writing a reasonably decent story (looking at you sequels).
With big media franchises like this, i try to take every new addition as its own thing.

I might have been okay with the silliness in Book of Boba Fett. It was the the unsympathatic, boring, stupid characters and lack of understanding of how plots work that ruined the show.

The last straw for me was when they decided to stay and "defend" the city rather than hole up at the palace. The Pykes aren't trying to attack the city. They are coming to attack Bobba. It's such, bad thoughtless writing, that is makes TLJ and RoS look okay. I'm not sure why were supposed to rooting for him at that point anyway. Say what you will about the Pykes, you give them money, you get spice. Bobba is just an asshole who extorts local business owners (sorry, one local business owner) for protection money and lets them get blown up. I guess we are supposed to like him because he favors organized crime built around sex-trafficking rather than drugs, but that casts a dubious light on his recruitment of teenagers.

Anyway, my point being that the silliness wasn't the issue for me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back