Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I can't disagree with anything you said. There's a new book of Star Wars short stories that was just published, and it one of them Obi-Wan comes to Yoda in ghost form and asks him to train somebody. I don't want to spoil it for anyone here, but it's surprising what Yoda says.

I did a little more checking, and if you look at the opening scroll for The Force Awakens, it says that Luke is the last Jedi. It's pretty blatant really.
That still doesn't mean Luke is the last Jedi ever. Just that his attempts to found a new Jedi Order haven't been successful as of yet. And why would they? That's a passing the torch kind of story, which deserves to be told in movie form.

That still doesn't mean Luke is the last Jedi ever. Just that his attempts to found a new Jedi Order haven't been successful as of yet. And why would they? That's a passing the torch kind of story, which deserves to be told in movie form.

I already explained why I thought he was the last Jedi in a previous post. Doesn't mean that's the way it's going to happen. It's my hunch and nothing more.

If you've got a theory of your own I'd love to read it.

I already explained why I thought he was the last Jedi in a previous post. Doesn't mean that's the way it's going to happen. It's my hunch and nothing more.

If you've got a theory of your own I'd love to read it.
In RotJ, he was the last because he was the last to be trained as a Jedi. Yoda and Kenobi were dead, Vader had turned to the Dark Side and abandoned the Ways of the Jedi. There were no more Jedi. If Luke had failed, the order would have been extinct at that point.

In TFA, he was the last because Snoke corrupted Ben Solo into becoming Kylo Ren and killing all the other Jedi-in-training. Or possibly the Knights of Ren are all former students of Luke. I hope more is revealed about these guys as the trilogy progresses. We've known for months that TLJ is plural, because of a couple of the languages that the title has been translated in. So it's reasonable to assume that Rey will be a Jedi by the end of the movie.

Whether this means they are the Last Jedi Ever remains to be seen. But I doubt it. Jedi are too deeply entwined with Star Wars product identity for me to think they'll end the Order.

Of course,there are still questions to be answered. Particularly the fates of Kanan, Ezra and Asokha. Though I have a feeling they won't be Jedi as such and are more likely to found a 'third way' of in between Force users. A concept I particularly dislike, but it's the only way I can see Ezra surviving the next season of SW: Rebels.

I really enjoyed the Lego Star Wars. It's irreverent fun and actually quite "authentic" space opera in the 1930s serial sense.

I have more hope for the spinoff SW movies than the main plotline films. I enjoyed the freshness of Rogue One and hopefully the Han Solo films will be well done.

Yeah with the right director Hans Solo solo could be a lot of fun.

New trailer tonight during the football game. Also tickets go on sale after that.

Liked the trailer. A ton of stuff, no context. Just how a trailer should be.

Some great visuals but for some reason I'm not all that hyped. I really don't know why. It's actually aggravating me because I'm usually such an unapologetic fanboy.

Perhaps a bit of it is that I'm sad that the victory over the Empire, and all the awful things that happened in the prequels and Rogue One, meant nothing because the same old shit starts up again. So many sacrifices for nothing. It saddens me somehow. Luke is broken and pessimistic; he's NOT special, Rey and Kylo are the CHOSEN ONES (TM).

Also! I'm more interested in the non-Jedi part of the story. Poe, Finn, the new rebel played by that asian actress, Benicio del Toro's "slicer" and Laura Dern. I wanna see more about them.

EDIT: Luke better get a cool moment. And his lightsaber better be GREEN for fuck's sake.

Perhaps a bit of it is that I'm sad that the victory over the Empire, and all the awful things that happened in the prequels and Rogue One, meant nothing because the same old shit starts up again.
I keep hearing this, but I don't get it. They bought 30 years of peace and freedom. Then more bad stuff happens that you have to deal with. That's just life.

I've always been annoyed by sequels that undo the heroes' victory, but that's when the sequel comes out a couple of years later. This is a case where something significant was attained.
So many sacrifices for nothing. It saddens me somehow. Luke is broken and pessimistic; he's NOT special, Rey and Kylo are the CHOSEN ONES (TM).
How is Luke not special? He was the one that redeemed his father and ended the Empire. Or is special purely a matter of the numbers on your character sheet and not what you accomplished?
Also! I'm more interested in the non-Jedi part of the story. Poe, Finn, the new rebel played by that asian actress, Benicio del Toro's "slicer" and Laura Dern. I wanna see more about them.
Haven't the non-Jedi always been the most interesting?

I keep hearing this, but I don't get it. They bought 30 years of peace and freedom. Then more bad stuff happens that you have to deal with. That's just life.

I've always been annoyed by sequels that undo the heroes' victory, but that's when the sequel comes out a couple of years later. This is a case where something significant was attained.

It saddens me because while I watch the original trilogy I know that our protagonists' victories will be marred by future tragedies. Han and Leia split up, their kid falls to the Dark Side, kills a bunch of people including Han himself. Luke is the last of the Jedi and a new hope for the galaxy, but we know that his new Jedi school gets wrecked and everyone murdered.

It's a tarnish on the happiness at the end of the original trilogy.

How is Luke not special? He was the one that redeemed his father and ended the Empire. Or is special purely a matter of the numbers on your character sheet and not what you accomplished?

Because the Dark Side hit a RESET button and fucked everything over again. The Empire wasn't defeated, the new jedi school was totally wrecked and Luke looks defeated, pessimistic and broken. It's heartbreaking that he either didn't learn anything from his past victories or it that it didn't matter. My childhood hero was, ultimately, defeated. "A New Hope... for now".

I understand that shit is cyclical. But it's still sad. Just like "Logan": despite all his past victories, he ends up alone, sick and broken. In a way, I kind of wish that the new trilogy had nothing to do with the original cast so that the victory celebrations at the end of ROTJ are still happy and not bittersweet.

I don't appreciate the "character sheet" analogy. That's pretty reductionist.

I was watching Return of the Jedi the other day with my wife and I said at the end that it was bittersweet because Luke got the father he wanted only to lose him. When I was younger, I viewed it as a totally feel good ending, but now regardless of the sequels, I view it more as a bittersweet ending. Much was gained, but much was lost.

And much will be lost again.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but world news, shitty social media trends and unhappiness at work is really getting me down. I kind of want to happy escapism and even Star Wars is getting me down.

I think I'll take a break from the internet for a while. One month would do me good, perhaps.

The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite movie of all-time and it's almost a total downer, but I can pluck little things from it that makes it a positive. One of my favorite scenes in SW is Yoda rummaging through Luke's supplies and pulling out a lamp.

As far as the new movies...
I have a feeling that Kylo and Rey will be drawn to the middle together and lead the new order of Jedi-Sith down a balanced path.

It saddens me because while I watch the original trilogy I know that our protagonists' victories will be marred by future tragedies. Han and Leia split up, their kid falls to the Dark Side, kills a bunch of people including Han himself. Luke is the last of the Jedi and a new hope for the galaxy, but we know that his new Jedi school gets wrecked and everyone murdered.

You could say the same thing about The Empire Strikes Back in relation to Star Wars.

Because the Dark Side hit a RESET button and fucked everything over again. The Empire wasn't defeated, the new jedi school was totally wrecked and Luke looks defeated, pessimistic and broken. It's heartbreaking that he either didn't learn anything from his past victories or it that it didn't matter. My childhood hero was, ultimately, defeated. "A New Hope... for now".
Well, we are going by what Luke says in a few short, out of context sound bites. And what he says doesn't suggest he hasn't learned anything. It suggests he has learned a lot.

As for the Dark Side, yeah, it never really goes away. Did anyone really not expect the Dark Side to be a threat in these movies?

I'm reminded of the fifth season finale of Community and how it played with the meta idea that as long as the show continued, these people were stuck in an endless series of crises. The only way for them to get peace was for the show to end.

I understand that shit is cyclical. But it's still sad. Just like "Logan": despite all his past victories, he ends up alone, sick and broken. In a way, I kind of wish that the new trilogy had nothing to do with the original cast so that the victory celebrations at the end of ROTJ are still happy and not bittersweet.
They are still happy. It was big win whether bad thing happened later or not. It's reductionist to erase all the happy moments from a story because sad things happen as well.

I don't appreciate the "character sheet" analogy. That's pretty reductionist.
Sorry, but I don't appreciate the implication that Luke wasn't special because he didn't have the coolest powers and just scored his big victory by managing to emotionally connect to his father.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but world news, shitty social media trends and unhappiness at work is really getting me down. I kind of want to happy escapism and even Star Wars is getting me down.

I think I'll take a break from the internet for a while. One month would do me good, perhaps.
You'll be missed around here, but if you think it will help, take that break. I know I need to get away at times. As much as I enjoy arguing about Star Wars, I don't want to make you feel worse than you already do. Look after yourself, Necrozius.

On the one hand, it does kind of suck to see the old characters put through the ringer again, especially Han and Leia killed by their own son.

On the other hand, it does logically follow from the first trilogy in a way. Luke never did finish his training, he did stray perilously close to the Dark Side in his final fight with Vader. In the end, Luke won, but he never really replaced that early arrogance with wisdom. Of course he thought he could restart the Jedi Order by himself, and of course he wasn't prepared for what happened.

I'm guessing though, that this new tragedy is going to lead to a true and final victory as the warring and unbalanced sides of Dark and Light achieve true balance by somehow merging instead of equilibrium gained through alternating destructive pendulum swings.

I sympathize with this.

I have a lot of criticisms of the new Star Wars movies. Not so much nit-picking, but more story direction, theme, and application.

I have not and will not share those criticisms here because I'm well-aware that most of you love this franchise. I'm not a hater, and I don't want my opinions to accidentally undermine other people's happiness.

As far as the bittersweet ending, I think of the end of Babylon 5. Jesus, talk about sad. Nobody gets what they want (except maybe Garabaldi). I cry like a fucking baby every damn time I watch the episode where Sheridan leaves Delinn for the last time.

That was a series where the characters struggled and sacrificed to create a better world (the Alliance) only to have it degenerate into a dystopian nightmare under the care of the lesser men that came after, and then later, a post-holocaust, primitive society that had to start over from scratch.

But in the end, humanity crawls out of the primitive to reaffirm their greatness. They become a First-Ones level civilization. It just took thousands and thousands of years to do it. None of that would have happened if not for the creation of the Alliance, and the sacrifices the heroes made to create it.

I like to remind myself that good matters. It travels through time. Even the simplest act of kindness can affect something in the future.

So maybe Luke's efforts will have a similar affect as the new stories unfold.

I feel you, brother.

The recent tragedy here in the States, and the mindless politicization of said tragedy, as well as other world events that have received less attention by the Press, have undermined my calm. The signals are being drowned out by the noise, and that noise is too much right now. I need to make sense of it.

I'm angry. This isn't a good thing. It's a sign I need to back off, go silent for a while, and take time to center myself. If I stay here, some of that anger may come out here on this forum, and that's not acceptable.

I'm going to take a break from all Web interaction, including the Pub, for a while; a month or two at least. Maybe more.

My best wishes to all of you, and happy gaming. :smile:

I'm not going to get mad at anyone's opinions. After all, I have defended the prequels and have good things to say about every installment, including The Phantom Menace. Somebody's criticisms of the storyline, characterizations, etc doesn't faze me in the least.

Noman, hope you come back soon. You're a good poster.

As for the trailer, I have heard these same concerns from friends, but SW isn't art. It's all business and now it's in the Mouse House, the only concern is cranking out as much cashflow as humanly possible. Comic books were called "soap operas for boys" a long time ago, and the movie serials from the 1930s-1950s packed the theaters with eager kids. That's what SW has always been.

It's odd, but SW fans take the continuity / story sense far more seriously than the filmmakers. The prequels had plenty of moments where fans wondered if Lucas had forgotten his own movies and JJ's TFA had less respect for the originals than Robot Chicken. But the motto is if it fills seats, sells candy and toys, that's Victory, regardless if nobody remembers or cares about the movie 2 years later. No matter what Disney knows the flash bang boom + nostalgia will fill up seats year after year.

Also, there is certain momentum to soap operas. There is a WTF factor that hooks viewers when the plot or characters go against sense and the show just keeps rolling along. Sometimes it doesn't work and the soap opera derails, but in the case of SW, it looks like they can keep doing WTF for a long time and audiences will keep bringing their kids.

And kids buy toys.

For me, the trailer was good. Why? Because when it ended, there was a link to a Battlefront 2 gameplay video. The most fun I've gotten from the prequels was the resulting video games. If these new movies can do that, then I will be satisfied.

As for SW and RPGs, the most gameable material has come from the early Marvel comics and the later Dark Horse comics, particularly the ancient Sith war stuff.

mlpajp9yn7ii6az0j8zd.jpg

So was I the only one to find the ending of Return with ghost Yoda, Ben and Vader all nodding at Luke unbearably silly?

Apparently, ghosts love yub yub music.

I wonder if any Jedi ghosts are going to show in the new trilogy?

BTW, if Kylo Ren is such a Vader worshipper, WTF did Anakin not show up like Jacob Marley at any time to steer his grandson back to the Light?

EDIT: Oh fuck. You're all bastards. Now I'm doing the Star Wars goober dance.

From what I've read, there's a good chance somebody's (or more) ghosts shows up in The Last Jedi.

Apparently, ghosts love yub yub music.

I wonder if any Jedi ghosts are going to show in the new trilogy?

BTW, if Kylo Ren is such a Vader worshipper, WTF did Anakin not show up like Jacob Marley at any time to steer his grandson back to the Light?

EDIT: Oh fuck. You're all bastards. Now I'm doing the Star Wars goober dance.

giphy.gif

From TheVerge.com...

Iron Man and Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau has been tapped to write and produce an upcoming live-action Star Wars show, which will debut on Disney’s still-unnamed streaming video platform, Lucasfilm announced today

In November, Disney announced two projects: a new trilogy of films written by The Last Jedidirector Rian Johnson, and a live-action show for the company’s upcoming streaming service, which is expected to launch sometime next year. Disney also announced last monththat Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are developing their own series of films. In addition to a Star Wars show, Disney has also said that the streaming service will have other original content from its various holdings, including a live-action Marvel show.

Favreau is no stranger to Disney. He directed the live-action version of The Jungle Book in 2016 and is presently filming a live-action adaptation of The Lion King, which is slated to be released in 2019. He also directed the original Iron Man movies, before Disney acquired Marvel. Favreau has been involved with the Star Wars franchise as a voice actor, voicing Pre Vizsla in the Clone Wars animated series, and an alien in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says, “This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.” The company did not announce any further details about Favreau’s series, nor a release date.

A live-action show set in the Star Wars universe has been a long-simmering project for Lucasfilm. While the company has set up two enormously successful animated shows, The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels (which just finished its run), George Lucas said in 2005 that he was working on a series set in the galactic capital of Coruscant, but that project was abandoned years later due to its enormous budget. Now that Disney owns the company, setting up an original series for its streaming service makes sense. Favreau is a writer, director, and actor with a solid resume, which should help provide Disney with a show that has widespread appeal to attract customers as it works its way into an already-crowded field of streaming video companies.

My son loves Star Wars but refused to see the new movies at the theater because he likes watching them at home. Any idea when the latest one is out on disc? I haven't seen anything about it.

All kinds of Star Wars news today.

Multiple Star Wars television series are in development for the upcoming Disney subscription video streaming service.

A whole separate trilogy of Star Wars films are in development from HBO's Games of Thrones showrunners. So, that's at least eight new Star Wars films in the pipeline, including Solo.

There's speculation that the fifth Star Wars trilogy just announced may be set in the Knights of the Old Republic era from the Bioware video games.

God no.

By all means have more animated stuff, that's beeen consistently decent

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back