Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stevethulhu

Studiously Indifferent
Reaction score
Does the animation improve as it does in Clone Wars? Medicore animation is a bigger barrier for me than anything else.
I didn't notice. The writing is what I care about. The animation is just the visual style. And as a fan of Tom Baker era Doctor Who, I pay less attention to the look than the performances and writing.

Which are both very, very good in Rebels. Its a WEG game brought to life.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I didn't notice. The writing is what I care about. The animation is just the visual style. And as a fan of Tom Baker era Doctor Who, I pay less attention to the look than the performances and writing.

Which are both very, very good in Rebels. Its a WEG game brought to life.

I like early Dr. Who as well but poor animation is as much a blight as poor prose for me, it isn't something I can stand. I wouldn't consider poor animation purely a question of budget either like the Dr. Who sets, something like the Belladonna of Sadness is very limited in its animation but manages to make it work and is quite lovely.

Similarly the lowbudget look and sets of early Dr. Who give the proceedings a slightly surreal feeling I quite like, similar to the better sf films before SW.

Last edited:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Yeah, Baker-era Dr Who looked like a creepy home video which just kinda added to it's weird, unnerving atmosphere when I was a kid, just like Read All About It and Children of the Stones.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
With Rebels, just watch it. The seasons are quite short, so there isn't the same level of cruft that Clown Wars has. And there's only four of them, so a lot gets covered in the equivalent of two seasons of Clown Wars.
I know the animation being quite different from Clone Wars threw me off Rebels. I guess with all of the recommendations, I just need to get over that.

Endless Flight

Swo Master
Administrator
Reaction score
The best stuff in Rebels is the Ahsoka/Vader and Worlds Between Worlds plots.

Maul is one of the best parts of season seven of the Clone Wars.

Stevethulhu

Studiously Indifferent
Reaction score
The best stuff in Rebels is the Ahsoka/Vader and Worlds Between Worlds plots.

Maul is one of the best parts of season seven of the Clone Wars.
Maul is great on Rebels. He's proper Dark Side. All so sinister and yet speaking sense. Bad, but also leading Ezra down a path that seems lime it has the answers he needs.

And the resolution of a story that goes from the movies, through two animated series. That's a journey worth taking.

As for Doctor Who, I guess if walls that wobble, ladders that aren't attached to anything and creatures made of bubble wrap don't take you out of ot, nothing will.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
arkspace.jpg

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I still think bringing Maul back was silly, no matter how good the stories were.

Yeah, have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

I should probably also mention that one of the reasons contributing to my losing interest in Rebels was that I accidentally came across some spoilers regarding the ending and the fate of Ezra.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Spoilers don't bother me, I mean I know the ending to King Lear but that doesn't prevent me from loving Ran by Kurosawa.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Spoilers don't bother me, I mean I know the ending to King Lear but that doesn't prevent me from loving Ran by Kurosawa.

Spoilers in and of themselves usually don't bother me, but I didn't feel like going through a hundred or so episodes to reach

an unresolved cliffhanger where the main character disappears with no resolution to his story

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Spoilers in and of themselves usually don't bother me, but I didn't feel like going through a hundred or so episodes to reach

an unresolved cliffhanger where the main character disappears with no resolution to his story

Ah well that's different then.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
What people don't realize is that there is a very rare genetic mutation in some Zabrak that allows them to regenerate like worms. So not only is it possible that Maul returned, but there are actually two of him, each grown from a half cut in 1999. One for each animated series in other words.

Andrew J. Luther

It’s all just a game
Reaction score

Normally, I would agree but...
I found Ezra to be the least interesting character in Rebels, so having his fate be left up in the air at the end didn’t bother me at all. He’s one character I hope they don’t bother bringing back in the live-action shows.

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Normally, I would agree but...
I found Ezra to be the least interesting character in Rebels, so having his fate be left up in the air at the end didn’t bother me at all. He’s one character I hope they don’t bother bringing back in the live-action shows.
The reason I dropped out of Rebels myself. Did not like.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com