Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The Jedi wear the attire of commoners to under-line how humble and free from political entanglements they are.
nothing quite says 'free from political entanglements' like being in the lower stratums of society! :smile:

Jedi council meetings are probably like Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen skit.

"Well, I went four days without food and water and attended a fancy dress ball in ragged cutoffs."

"Well I addressed the senate wearing shoes so worn my toes stuck out."

"Well I took the mother fucking tactical shit offa my AK."

The most recent episode of The Bad Batch had a nice callback to the Rancor in RotJ so we rewatched the Jabba sequence again, by far my favourite part of RotJ.

If they somehow had kept that planetary romance feel for the whole movie it would be my fav of the whole series.

I’d love to get an animated movie or show in the Bad Batch/Clone Wars of Jedi Master Skywalker and his apprentice Ben Solo.

The Bad Batch animation is soooo good. The lighting effects are just wow. It’s even better than S7 of The Clone Wars, which was a huge jump from S1-6.
It's just a shame about some of the voice acting. And the slightly awkward pacing.

So, I've set out to re-watch the new trilogy. And I watched The Force Awakens this evening. And it's got some thoughts rolling around in my old head. Some of them are about what the directors knew and didn't know about the overall course of the trilogy. It seems pretty clear that Rey is being set up as the new chosen one from the start. Abrams seems to want the misdirect with Finn having the lightsabre but really, he's only carrying it to give it to Rey and Rey's the one who had visions when she touched it. Also, Star Killer base is still painfully stupid. I expect this kind of absurd shit from Star Trek not Star Wars guys. Hollywood always struggles with the idea of scale and travel times, don't they?

Oh well, on the more meta level I'm thinking about spectacles and passion plays. Like, take Swan Lake, it gets done by hundreds of different companies every single year and while they probably mess with the sets and costumes a bit you'd better believe they don't screw with the score or choreography. You won't see a passion play where Elias comes down and saves Jesus from the cross or where he gets down himself and starts glowing and then laughs and the shocked crowds, "dudes, you should totally see your faces, PWND!" You might see it on an episode of Robot Chicken or Family guy but that's also true of blasphemy against the gospel of Star Wars. I'm not sure where the line is crossed, where you are so anxious to give the devout more of the same every time that you lose the license to create or grow the story. I've always felt the Star Wars extended universe went well past that line doodling in the margins for lack of permission to add to the script. That being said I never liked the Vong or Gem Hadar, too much like the issues of X-Men in the early nineties where the lame new bad guys had to trash Wolverine just to show how cool they were.

Oh well, just random thoughts after watching a movie that has some genuine good little bits here and there but can't seem to escape the director's obsession with the spectacle. Good little bits? Finn's break with the First Order, Han wanting to shove Phasma in the trash compactor, Han trying out the bow caster, the storm troopers heel turn during Kylo-Ren's tantrum, Poe enjoying flying a tie fighter, really I generally enjoy Poe's parts, he genuinely seems to be having fun.

So, I've set out to re-watch the new trilogy. And I watched The Force Awakens this evening. And it's got some thoughts rolling around in my old head. Some of them are about what the directors knew and didn't know about the overall course of the trilogy. It seems pretty clear that Rey is being set up as the new chosen one from the start. Abrams seems to want the misdirect with Finn having the lightsabre but really, he's only carrying it to give it to Rey and Rey's the one who had visions when she touched it.
My biggest problem is how it's entirely built on coincidence. Let's just break the first scene down. Ren comes down wanting Map to Luke Skywalker. By all rights, he had no idea, no clue that the Map had been handed off to Poe. He didn't even know Poe was there. By killing the entire village, including the leader, the only person who had the Map, he'd have killed the entire movie, right there on the spot.

But because the script said that Poe would be there and he'd get caught, that thoughtless, technically stupid act was nothing more than a 'Kick the Dog' moment to show how evil Kylo Ren was. The entire film seems to have been written from the ending to the beginning and every was more, 'because' and 'and then'. It also didn't help that Abrams had no real plan.
Also, Star Killer base is still painfully stupid. I expect this kind of absurd shit from Star Trek not Star Wars guys. Hollywood always struggles with the idea of scale and travel times, don't they?
No, only Abrams does. He's about the spectacle, nothing more.

No, only Abrams does. He's about the spectacle, nothing more.
Abrams isn't the only one that struggles with scale. And it's not a problem limited to movies. Westeros is way too big. So are most fantasy rpg settings. Forgotten Realms being just one, just to give examples.

The latest episode of The Bad Batch had a sequence where they visit a battleship graveyard that was so damn pretty I get the feeling the animators are just showing off what they can do. And I mean that in a good way!

Ship breaking scenes are gold, the one in The Mandelorian was fantastic.

I watched The Last Jedi today for the second time ever. The first was in theatre and like most I was disappointed. To be honest, it holds together a bit better on the second viewing there's lots of little hints about objects being passed through the force. Luke never bothered me, I've always felt Snoke got to him and Kylo and the notion that the force deliberately feeds the conflict would certainly make trying seem futile.

The latest episode of The Bad Batch had a sequence where they visit a battleship graveyard that was so damn pretty I get the feeling the animators are just showing off what they can do. And I mean that in a good way!
It's also referencing the video game, Fallen Order - the main character (as an apprentice) and their Jedi master were stationed above the planet in their Jedi cruiser when O66 occurred.

The game's opening level actually takes place on the planet with you as a Scrapper.

Last edited:
I started watching Return of Skywalker on Sunday but didn't get very far in before other duties disrupted my viewing so I finished it tonight. Wow is it ever long and all over the place. There's a ton of cool locales and setups but it really needed to be tighter. If The Last Jedi was Battlestar Galactica, Return of Skywalker is Raiders of the Lost Ark: cool locales, chasing a mysterious relic, an angry old flame. It's my least favorite. I guess I can see Palpatine tying it together from beginning to end though if I made it we'd see much more through his eyes.* I think healing is probably much more common among the Sith and maybe, just maybe the guy had something more to him than the cackling old coot from Return of the Jedi. He had a grand daughter after all. I saw some stuff about Rey's parents being clones but I didn't hear about that in the movie. I don't think it's necessary but then that's my general impression of a lot of the extended universe type stuff.

*There's probably a whole essay on how badly used Palpatine was in this movie. No depth to him at all. The prequels gave him some depth. He's a frustrated senator looking for more power. That they gave him a family without actually showing that side of him, is sad. Where is the scene where he tells us why he did it all? He monologues enough but spends no time arguing that he's in the right or the real hero of the story. I always think the best villains are relatable.

Last edited:
The prequels gave him some depth.
I didn't see that. He's always been a shadowy, ill-defined secondary antagonist. And the senator thing was just a role from my understanding - he'd manipulated his way into the role rather than being born there and corrupted by the system. That sounds like a more interesting take on him than Lucas conveyed.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back