Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Even the Reylos weren’t happy.

I mean, the one piece of consistent character building across all three films was building the sexual tension between those two.

And it's like, we ended up with erectile disfunction.

The sad thing is, they're both obviously good actors and they have natural chemistry

TRS felt like 2 movies shoddily shoved together, with the division point being around after the fake Chewie blows up.

They don't explain it in the movie, but apparently in the novelization or something, but Rey's daddy is apparently Palpatines Clone that got set loose. Does that technically make Rey Palpatines daughter instead?
Also the reveal that Rey was Palpatines Granddaughter really needed a electric organ flair from a soap opera.
I don't even know what the heck was going on with the Snoke tank. I always hoped that he was some kind of unknown regions force user that wormed his way into power in the First Order. Heck that could have even worked with Papa Palpatine just manipulating Snoke behind the scenes without Snoke knowing. Now he's just a vat-baby I guess?
I had to have someone explain to me that the thing that Finn wanted to tell Rey before the sand worm pit was that he's force sensitive. Honestly thought he was going to propose or something.
I still have no idea what the heck that dome thing over the PalpaPit on planet testiExegol was. A building? A lightning generator for the planets constant lightning strikes?
Where did all these guys manning all these Star Destroyers come from? testiExegol doesn't look very rich in population, industry or resources. Or even inhabited for that matter.
Despite that, what little we did see of testiExegol was pretty cool, the decent into the PalpaPit with the statues of ancient Sith Lords. The Amphitheater with ghosts guys?
The planet killing star destroyers, sigh...
Loved the alien festival on that desert planet!
I thought the Force teleporting object fights was cool!
The Knights of Ren had a very nice design to them.

Regardless of how bad it was I had fun watching it and I didn't have the same problem I had with TLJ where parts felt like they dragged on.

Also the reveal that Rey was Palpatines Granddaughter really needed a electric organ flair from a soap opera.

There was no grand reveal of anything. I was expecting (even though I knew it because I haven't avoided spoilers), Palpatine returning to be a huge story point. Instead it's in the opening text crawl, and 5 minutes in he's just...there.

Only thing that was remotely surprising is that Harrison agreed to come back for a scene.

There was no grand reveal of anything. I was expecting (even though I knew it because I haven't avoided spoilers), Palpatine returning to be a huge story point. Instead it's in the opening text crawl, and 5 minutes in he's just...there.

Only thing that was remotely surprising is that Harrison agreed to come back for a scene.
Aww heck I forgot the quotation marks. I was trying to be sarcastic about the "Reveal".

It was a near perfect example o how to do a corporate movie. No surprises, no risks. No anythi g, really. Just a couple of hours of stuff that you forget about as soon as the credits roll.

At least TLJ left people apoplectic with need rage. Bein mediocre is the biggest crime a movie can commit.

Hough having major plot points turn up in spinoff media is a bit of a no no for me. The PT did a lot of that and it was one of the worst things about that particular series.

Reactions: TJS
Hough having major plot points turn up in spinoff media is a bit of a no no for me. The PT did a lot of that and it was one of the worst things about that particular series.

I didn't watch any of the spinoff media - what major plot points from the prequels were revealed there?

I didn't watch any of the spinoff media - what major plot points from the prequels were revealed there?
Things like Palpatine explicitly being from Naboo were from the books. To be honest, it's a long time since the days of "This makes sense after you've read the book" was a part of my Star Wars conversations. Its surprison how fast 20 years goes by. But theres some bits here about it.

You mean being born on Naboo? He was the senator from Naboo in the movie and it’s kind of implied that senators are originally from the planets they represent. It’s not really necessary to know he was born there, either way. Palpatine would do anything to gain power and would throw anything under the landspeeder to get what he wants, even his home planet of Naboo.

I wouldn't really consider it a plot point unless it affects the understanding of the films. The Prequel films I was never confused at any point

I wouldn't really consider it a plot point unless it affects the understanding of the films. The Prequel films I was never confused at any point
Other than what was the point? Episode 1 basically adds almost nothing to the story. You could skip that film completely and not miss anything in terms of the big picture.

Other than what was the point? Episode 1 basically adds almost nothing to the story. You could skip that film completely and not miss anything in terms of the big picture.

I'm not saying they're good movies (although they sure look a hell of a lot better after watching the recent trilogy), just that I didn't feel like I missed out any important or essential information by not consuming any of the supplemental material.

I'm not saying they're good movies (although they sure look a hell of a lot better after watching the recent trilogy), just that I didn't feel like I missed out any important or essential information by not consuming any of the supplemental material.
You didn't consume anything. Consuming means it's gone. It has been eaten or otherwise ingested

Nor is a movie goods or services, to be purchased by a consumer.

The entire concept of consuming media is why nobody owns musicl, movies or books these days. It's a scam to make people subscribe to streaming services.

You seem to be trying to make a point about media through pedanticism, but I'm not sure what that is.

But you are conflating several different definitions of the word.

con·sume
/kənˈso͞om/
verb
1. eat, drink, or ingest (food or drink).
2. buy (goods or services).
3. use up (a resource).

That aside, if I stream a film, I'm not seeing how that is practically different than going to see it in a theatre, or how that constitutes a "scam"

You seem to be trying to make a point about media through pedanticism, but I'm not sure what that is.

But you are conflating several different definitions of the word.

con·sume
/kənˈso͞om/
verb
1. eat, drink, or ingest (food or drink).
2. buy (goods or services).
3. use up (a resource).

That aside, if I stream a film, I'm not seeing how that is practically different than going to see it in a theatre, or how that constitutes a "scam"
In all other cases, once the resource has been consumed, it is not available for use by someone else. But if I read a book, listen to a song or watch a movie, what is used up?

In all other cases, once the resource has been consumed, it is not available for use by someone else. But if I read a book, listen to a song or watch a movie, what is used up?

Yes, that's the third definition.

I'm still not certain what this has to do with streaming being a scam, though.

And I'm doubly confused with what any of this has to do with the assertion that The Phanton Menace is pointless if you don't know Palpatine comes from Naboo....???

giphy.gif

The Phantom Menace isn't pointless at all. Could it have been streamlined? Sure. Parts of Attack of the Clones could have been added and then Revenge of the Sith could have been expanded into the latter movie to stretch Anakin's fall out a little longer and not make it seem like he turned in five minutes.

Did they ever explain who all the guys in robes in the stadium seating around Palpatine were?

Those are like the royal guards from Return of the Jedi.

Oh those guys. They are called the Sith Eternal. They are Palpatine supporters and have been hanging around Exegol for thirty years building all those state of the art Star Destroyers...

That sounds so ridiculous and makes no sense.

Ok I tried taking a screenshot, but it's hard, they only show up for a few split seconds - this is right after Rey blows up the Emperor because she has two lightsabers (...?) his throne room or whatever has like this auditorian surroundig it, and all these dudes in robes sitting there watching everything

jedi.JPG

I remember way back in time, well before the prequels, there was a suggestion made by Lucas that C3PO and R2D2 were actually the stars of Star Wars and that any sequels would be further events in the history of the Galaxy from the PoV of these two Droids. It reminded me of the Droids cartoon, which to this day I really like. I kinda wonder what might have been if this idea had been explored instead of following the Skywalker line.

I suppose the two droids could show up if they went like a hundred years into the future. They would need a replacement for Daniels of course, but that’s possible today with all the great voice actors out there.

I remember way back in time, well before the prequels, there was a suggestion made by Lucas that C3PO and R2D2 were actually the stars of Star Wars and that any sequels would be further events in the history of the Galaxy from the PoV of these two Droids. It reminded me of the Droids cartoon, which to this day I really like. I kinda wonder what might have been if this idea had been explored instead of following the Skywalker line.
They were the viewpoint characters in Star Wars because of Hidden Fortress. Lucas loved how the two lowest status characters were the viewpoint the audience got for all these events with generals and princesses and stuff.

So he stole the concept for his movie. Back when it was just a movie.

He also got the idea for seeing a culture where people take things for granted that the audience have no idea about from watching Hidden Fortress. Because George Lucas the film student and movie buff, loved that feeling of being an outsider to the culture of Japan that was shown in Kurosawa's movies. Something that was much less accessible in those days.

Of course these days, that's completely lost, with every background character, alien, droid and piece of equipment having been detailed. Sometimes in multiple different ways.

By the way, I consumed your post in the same way you did the movie :wink:

Of course these days, that's completely lost, with every background character, alien, droid and piece of equipment having been detailed. Sometimes in multiple different ways.

PoV characters aren't really a novel concept, but I don't see why that would be lost today - they just have to present new stuff. The Prequels were pretty good at that, the new films less so, but there's a whole lot of worlds out there, and they aren't restricted to any set time period. I understand why Disney chose to go conservative, thinking they were giving the fans what they wanted, but honestly all anyone wants is a good movie. They could set a sequeal two centuries into the future, as long as it's a fun story with likeable characters and some degree of creativity. It's only in very recent times that people have drawn a box around the whole thing and declared only the stuff inside this narrow, over-explored boundary is "Star Wars". If you look back to the Star Wars media in the early 80s, there was no such limitations of scope.

By the way, I consumed your post in the same way you did the movie :wink:

Hope that isn't too hard on your toilet...

PoV characters aren't really a novel concept, but I don't see why that would be lost today - they just have to present new stuff. The Prequels were pretty good at that, the new films less so, but there's a whole lot of worlds out there, and they aren't restricted to any set time period. I understand why Disney chose to go conservative, thinking they were giving the fans what they wanted, but honestly all anyone wants is a good movie. They could set a sequeal two centuries into the future, as long as it's a fun story with likeable characters and some degree of creativity. It's only in very recent times that people have drawn a box around the whole thing and declared only the stuff inside this narrow, over-explored boundary is "Star Wars". If you look back to the Star Wars media in the early 80s, there was no such limitations of scope.

Hope that isn't too hard on your toilet...
It wasn't the POV characters that were lost. They're still around, though the current trilogy is a bit wishy washy about them. Funny how both DC and Star Wars have done better on TV than big screen. But I digress.

What has been lost is the sense that you're looking into a culture where the people in the movie take things for granted that you the viewer know nothing about. Now, if anything, the opposite is true. The people on set just see stuff, but the viewer knows the names for the people in the background.

It wasn't the POV characters that were lost.

What has been lost is the sense that you're looking into a culture where the people in the movie take things for granted that you the viewer know nothing about. Now, if anything, the opposite is true. The people on set just see stuff, but the viewer knows the names for the people in the background.

six of one...both were lost simultaneously, you don't have one without the other.

I think you could take these three films and cut together two halfway decent films. Not great, but decent.

I think, I'm done with Star Wars again for a while. Whatever small nostalgia-fueled flame The Mandalorian lit has been firmly extinguished.

Maybe now's a good time to rewatch Farscape.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back