Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Its really worth persevering with. The Inquisitor is a really good character. And the fate of Master Luminara is genuinely dark and disturbing.

Plus a 20.minute episode isn't so tough. But if you skip anything, the first half of season 1 is about all that you can miss without missing out.
Does the animation improve as it does in Clone Wars? Medicore animation is a bigger barrier for me than anything else.

It does get better/more serious after the first episode, but my interest petered out after around ep 8, it's still very much aimed at a very young audience

I'm okay with it being aimed at kids as long as it is well written and animated.

Of course the best children's stories can appeal to adults as well.

But too often these days the idea that violence alone makes something 'adult' and 'not for kids' which I see a lot in the SW fandom discussion around Clone Wars is tiresome and ahistorical when one looks at, say, children's literature: Treasure Island, Huckleberry Finn, Wells' sf novels, A Tale of Two Cities and even Moby Dick (!) were once considered books for kids.

Last edited:
I'm okay with it being aimed at kids as long as it is well written and animated.

Of course the best children's stories can appeal to adults as well but too often these days the idea that violence makes something 'adult' and 'not for kids' which I see a lot in the SW fandom discussion around Clone Wars is tiresome and ahistorical when one looks at, say, children's literature.

When I say "mature", I generally mean sophisticated plots and characterization, and sometimes less of an over-reliance on "action". The type of humour, too, often dileanates a children's show vs a show that can be enjoyed by children and adults vs purely adult for me. There's the veryvery simplistic humour of 80s cartoons, say, then stuff like Adventure Time/the original Powerpuff Girls/Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy etc, which I say crosses boundaries, and then on the purely adult side stuff like Venture Bros and Rick & Morty.

Um something that bothered me the first episode that instantly improved as of the second episode at least was the intrusive music.

Does the animation improve as it does in Clone Wars? Medicore animation is a bigger barrier for me than anything else.
I didn't notice. The writing is what I care about. The animation is just the visual style. And as a fan of Tom Baker era Doctor Who, I pay less attention to the look than the performances and writing.

Which are both very, very good in Rebels. Its a WEG game brought to life.

I didn't notice. The writing is what I care about. The animation is just the visual style. And as a fan of Tom Baker era Doctor Who, I pay less attention to the look than the performances and writing.

Which are both very, very good in Rebels. Its a WEG game brought to life.

I like early Dr. Who as well but poor animation is as much a blight as poor prose for me, it isn't something I can stand. I wouldn't consider poor animation purely a question of budget either like the Dr. Who sets, something like the Belladonna of Sadness is very limited in its animation but manages to make it work and is quite lovely.

Similarly the lowbudget look and sets of early Dr. Who give the proceedings a slightly surreal feeling I quite like, similar to the better sf films before SW.

Last edited:
Yeah, Baker-era Dr Who looked like a creepy home video which just kinda added to it's weird, unnerving atmosphere when I was a kid, just like Read All About It and Children of the Stones.

With Rebels, just watch it. The seasons are quite short, so there isn't the same level of cruft that Clown Wars has. And there's only four of them, so a lot gets covered in the equivalent of two seasons of Clown Wars.
I know the animation being quite different from Clone Wars threw me off Rebels. I guess with all of the recommendations, I just need to get over that.

The best stuff in Rebels is the Ahsoka/Vader and Worlds Between Worlds plots.

Maul is one of the best parts of season seven of the Clone Wars.

The best stuff in Rebels is the Ahsoka/Vader and Worlds Between Worlds plots.

Maul is one of the best parts of season seven of the Clone Wars.
Maul is great on Rebels. He's proper Dark Side. All so sinister and yet speaking sense. Bad, but also leading Ezra down a path that seems lime it has the answers he needs.

And the resolution of a story that goes from the movies, through two animated series. That's a journey worth taking.

As for Doctor Who, I guess if walls that wobble, ladders that aren't attached to anything and creatures made of bubble wrap don't take you out of ot, nothing will.

arkspace.jpg

I still think bringing Maul back was silly, no matter how good the stories were.

Yeah, have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

I should probably also mention that one of the reasons contributing to my losing interest in Rebels was that I accidentally came across some spoilers regarding the ending and the fate of Ezra.

Spoilers don't bother me, I mean I know the ending to King Lear but that doesn't prevent me from loving Ran by Kurosawa.

Spoilers don't bother me, I mean I know the ending to King Lear but that doesn't prevent me from loving Ran by Kurosawa.

Spoilers in and of themselves usually don't bother me, but I didn't feel like going through a hundred or so episodes to reach

an unresolved cliffhanger where the main character disappears with no resolution to his story

Spoilers in and of themselves usually don't bother me, but I didn't feel like going through a hundred or so episodes to reach

an unresolved cliffhanger where the main character disappears with no resolution to his story

Ah well that's different then.

What people don't realize is that there is a very rare genetic mutation in some Zabrak that allows them to regenerate like worms. So not only is it possible that Maul returned, but there are actually two of him, each grown from a half cut in 1999. One for each animated series in other words.

Normally, I would agree but...
I found Ezra to be the least interesting character in Rebels, so having his fate be left up in the air at the end didn’t bother me at all. He’s one character I hope they don’t bother bringing back in the live-action shows.

Normally, I would agree but...
I found Ezra to be the least interesting character in Rebels, so having his fate be left up in the air at the end didn’t bother me at all. He’s one character I hope they don’t bother bringing back in the live-action shows.
The reason I dropped out of Rebels myself. Did not like.

The moisture farm is probably a squat for homeless spice addicts who've lost their jobs at Bantha Burger.
I forget where I saw it, but there's someone's headcanon out there that not only did Luke sell his landspeeder to leave Tatoonine, but him and Obi-Wan also sold the farm, neglecting to mention that 1) it was burned down, and 2) they were selling it to anyone and everyone they could find.

I forget where I saw it, but there's someone's headcanon out there that not only did Luke sell his landspeeder to leave Tatoonine, but him and Obi-Wan also sold the farm, neglecting to mention that 1) it was burned down, and 2) they were selling it to anyone and everyone they could find.
Only they didn't raise that much money. They had a couple of grand for Solo, then 15 more when they got to Alderaan.

Headcannon rejected.

I think perhaps one page ago....

What I always thought happened is that Luke sold the speeder for a little less than 2,000 credits and when they would reach Alderaan, Obi-Wan would ask Bail Organa to help pick up the tab for the remainder.

What I always thought happened is that Luke sold the speeder for a little less than 2,000 credits and when they would reach Alderaan, Obi-Wan would ask Bail Organa to help pick up the tab for the remainder.

What I remember is Obi-wan telling Han they'd pay him 2k up front, and 15k when they arrived at Alderaan. Then once they left the cantaina, he told Luke they'd have to sell the speeder, and Luke said he wasn't coming back here in any case.

They never said that the speeder actually sold for the whole 2k or anywhere close to it.

What I remember is Obi-wan telling Han they'd pay him 2k up front, and 15k when they arrived at Alderaan. Then once they left the cantaina, he told Luke they'd have to sell the speeder, and Luke said he wasn't coming back here in any case.

They never said that the speeder actually sold for the whole 2k or anywhere close to it.
2k for the speeder,nplis whatever Obi Wan could pull together seems legit. And neatly avoids the need for comically complex negotiations to commit large scale fraud.

Maybe as a Robot Chicken skit or Family.Guy cutaway gag.

It must really suck to be friends with a Jedi. You don't see them for 19 years, then they turn up on the run from the authorities with a bunch of "pathetic lifeforms" in tow. Their entourage smells of Bantha poodoo and garbage compactor juice, and by the way could they borrow Cr15k to tide them over, they'll pay it back next time they're passing...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back