Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Watched the first episode of The Bad Batch, it was an hour long, and enjoyed it.

As beautifully animated as the later Clone Wars, well paced with some twists and central mystery all set-up from the get-go. No fat at all in the plotting either. They also managed to make the Batch more interesting than in the action-oriented episodes of the Clone Wars, taking the time to develop Hunter and Crosshair in particular.

ok, my pics:

Fave:
A New Hope - The name doesn't gel, it's still the original title of 'Star Wars' for me

Great to watch:
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith

Good to watch:
Rogue One
The Mandalorian

An occasional watch:
The Force Awakens
The Clone Wars
Solo

If I must watch:
Attack of the Clones
Rebels

Not worth me keeping in my head as canon:
The Sequels
Those Ewok films
The Holiday Special

That's my random thoughts, sparked by the last few days of Star Wars fandom presence around the world

I am really wanting this pandemic to hit the skids now. I was booked to be back in the USA Dec 2020/ Jan 2021. After visiting multiple family addresses coast-to-coast we were gonna do our final week down in Orlando, and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge was on my must-see list at Walt Disney World.

I wonder if I'll ever get to see it this decade now, but I do smile knowing that it exists :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hmmm...OK, my pics -

Fave - Star Wars

Great to watch:
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Mandalorian

Good to watch:
Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
Rebels

Not worth watching ever again:
The Prequels
The Sequels
Ewoks: Battle for Endor
Droids & Ewoks animated series
The Star Wars Holiday Special

Never seen:
Solo
Rogue One
Clone Wars

Solo is 3/5.
Rogue One is 4/5.
The Clone Wars started out a 3/5 and ended a 5/5.

Star Wars Holiday Special 5/5, would marry and have kids with it

Anything with Ewoks being creepy 5/5

Empire 5/5

Clone Wars 5/5

Rebels 4/5 (great last season I thought)

Star Wars 3.5/5

RotJ 4/5 (just for Jabba, 3 after that until the Yub Yub dance)

Sequels 3/3.5/3 Respectively

Rogue One 4/5

Solo 3/5

Prequels - PM/AotC Concentrated Dreck; RotS 2/5

Last edited:
Tonight my son and I hate-watched Revenge of the Sith together. Neither of us had seen it before, but we were both familiar with about 80% of it through memes.

Wow, what a shit-show. I mean, still better than TLJ, but then pretty much everything is.

I couldn’t believe how stilted all the dialogue was throughout. I mean, Ewan McGregor is a great actor and even he was pretty wooden.

Especially in the beginning, when Obi Wan and Anakin are rescuing Palps, they do this “banter” thing where the timing is just completely off. Like one of them says a line and there’s this pause (like George was thinking he needed to give the audience time for a hearty laugh or something), and then the other one does his line and there’s another awkward pause.

Just painful to watch. It also didn’t help that everyone had to act like they were complete idiots in order for them to get all the pieces into their starting positions for ANH.

We had a few good laughs pointing out how ridiculous some things were, but I don’t think we’ll end up watching Rise of Skywalker after this experiment. Not good enough fun-to-pain ratio.

I actually would give Revenge of the Sith a 4/5. For all its faults, and it has plenty, it’s a really good time. I liked it at the theater but it’s actually grown on me even more over the last fifteen years.

Star Wars stuff I enjoyed:
Return of the Jedi
Clone Wars
Rebels in the main
The Mandalorian
Fallen Order

Stuff I thought was great:
A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back

The best:
Knights of the Old Republic I&II

It's pretty tight between the two KotOR games. The first feels more "Star Wars" and has a nicer lighter mood. The second is sort of an attempt to take the setting seriously. Combat mechanics are a bit outdated for both.. Also if you ever get the second get the restored content mod made with the aid of the development team.

While we (in Belgium) officially had to wait until October, my local theatre only played it in february '78.
But at the time we didn't have any of that internets stuff, so we were still pretty unspoiled. :shock:
We got it at the end of October in '77 in Sydney, Australia, when I was five. Mark Hammill came to town to promote it, as well as letting us know to get ready for the sequels From Alderaan with Love and The Alien Who Loved Me.

Favorite
Rogue One

Great to watch
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope

Good to watch
Solo
The Mandalorian
The Clone Wars

Occasional Watch
Attack of the Clones
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace

Will Watch if it's on
The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker

Will Actively Turn away from it
Those Ewok films
The Holiday Special

Never Watched
Rebels

My grades on the films...

The Phantom Menace - 3/5 Only redeemed by Liam Neeson and the duel at the climax of the movie. Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd (unfortunately) would be the whipping boys for all that was wrong about this movie, and there was plenty.

Attack of the Clones - 2/5 Awful romance between Padme and Anakin drag down the movie. The worst cinematography in the saga only adds to the pain.

Revenge of the Sith - 4/5 Great performances by McGregor and McDiarmid offsets lousy Portman showing. Great action sequences. Too much green screen.

A New Hope - 5/5 A classic of cinema. Good performances by the fresh faces while Guiness and Cushing deliver. Only the dialogue is subpar.

The Empire Strikes Back - 5/5 Kirshner brings the best direction of the saga to this stunning masterpiece. Frank Oz and Billy Dee Williams bring even more energy to a talented cast. No real faults although some find it drags in the middle.

Return of the Jedi - 4/5 The best ending of any Star Wars movie. Ewoks were loved by children and loathed by adults. Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker should always be the ghost.

The Force Awakens - 4/5 The new trio of heroes in Rey, Finn and Poe propel the new trilogy to a satisfying beginning. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is the best of the cast. Not many questions are answered (some never) due to JJ Abrams “mystery box” style of script writing.

The Last Jedi - 4/5 The best cinematography of the saga and saga defining performances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher make this the best of the sequels. Criticized for too much subversion and the Canto Bight side quest. The new character of Rose Tico was harshly and unfairly criticized.

The Rise of Skywalker - 2/5 Adam Driver is one of the very few good things here. Nothing of consequence that happens in this movie sticks while JJ Abrams tries to go light speed for two hours to divert attention from all the plot holes.

The Last Jedi - 4/5 The best cinematography of the saga and saga defining performances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher make this the best of the sequels. Criticized for too much subversion and the Canto Bight side quest. The new character of Rose Tico was harshly and unfairly criticized.

Good call on the cinematography, one thing that elevates The Clone Wars (and The Bad Batch so far and some episodes of Rebels) is how much more attention to the cinematography there is compared to most of the films.

It is kind of ironic as I saw a talk by Lucas and Filoni where Lucas talks about how they wanted the show to look cinematic and if anything it is more ambitiously cinematic than the majority of the actual films!

Sometimes, from the use of muted low-light, shafts of sunlight, the beautiful vegetative glow on alien worlds, etc. it seems like the animation team is almost showing off.

I found there is more visual beauty in the last two seasons than almost anywhere else in the SW series.

Last edited:
Good call on the cinematography, one thing that elevates The Clone Wars (and The Bad Batch so far and some episodes of Rebels) is how much more attention to the cinematography there is compared to most of the films.

It is kind of ironic as I saw a talk by Lucas and Filoni where Lucas talks about how they wanted the show to look cinematic and if anything it is more ambitiously cinematic than the majority of the actual films!

Sometimes, from the use of muted low-light, shafts of sunlight, the beautiful vegetative glow on alien worlds, etc. it seems like the animation team is almost showing off.

I found there is more visual beauty in the last two seasons than almost anywhere else in the SW series.
I think I watched a different Last Jedi. The fight in Snoke's throne room sums up that entire movie for me.

I think I watched a different Last Jedi. The fight in Snoke's throne room sums up that entire movie for me.

Not sure what that has to do with the cinematography but I realize you have a huge hate boner for the sequels so you do you. :shade:

Not sure what that has to do with the cinematography but I realize you have a huge hate boner for the sequels so you do you. :shade:
Wait, what?

You don't see badly framed shots and a weak colour pallete being cinematography issues?

Also, I think you're confusing me with someone who has a strong opinion about some fairly mediocre films.

Wait, what?

You don't see badly framed shots and a weak colour pallete being cinematography issues?

Also, I think you're confusing me with someone who has a strong opinion about some fairly mediocre films.

By cinematography I mean the lighting.

Framing is mise-en-scene and is sometimes determined by the cinematographer, often the director or even the cameraperson.

Colour pallette is part of costume, set design, etc. Not strictly cinematography.

I'd also disagree that particular scene has a 'weak colour pallette' as it is distinguished by quite strong, almost comic book-like contrasts but I realize you love to argue about how much you hate that film so whatever, I get you hate it but don't feel like debating it thanks.

I actually love the red guards against the red curtains. There is a special touch with the curtains catching on fire and the embers floating around the room by the end of the scene. I’ve read somewhere it symbolizes Snoke’s theatrical facade disintegrating. That he really wasn’t in control.

Empire has great cinematography too. It’s just that modern filmmaking can make things just look crisper, for lack of a better word.

It's a pity I think they didn't go ahead with the subversion stuff and maybe have Kylo Ren really not be a light or dark side user as he was saying, have Rey be nobody, hell maybe even join Kylo. That said, I just think Adam Driver is cool.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back