Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You might like this:

Don't need to see it (Which I did anyway) to know that I agree. I have an explanation as to why, but... Honestly, it's long, and it could (Although I'm sure it doesn't) break the no politics rule. So I won't. Let's just say that Hollywood and the Rich that control it have no concept of how life is for everyone who isn't them.

Instead, I'm going to point out some misconceptions that the general audience may have about the industry as it was explained to me.

First the term Director and where it sits on the 'totem pole'. Most people think this is the most important person on a movie set. Sure, they're the face of the movie, often fielding the questions and have intimate knowledge of the script, plot and characters, and yet, this is actually incorrect. They're above the Actors, yes, but like the Actors they are just hired help, mercenaries if you will.

The other is the difference between Producers. Most people see the word Executive and assume they're the most important. Again, no. They're just a bunch of money men who provide funding, which is why you often have more than one in a production. And the more you have the more funding trouble the production has. Hence why Secret Hideout's various live action productions are so horrendous, they're often scraping multiple barrels to get the pennies.

The most powerful person in Hollywood is, yes you probably guessed by now, is the plain old Producer, They also provide funding, but they are also in charge of approving the script, the locations and they're the ones hiring all the help, from the Director to Actors, to 'special effects' studios (which doesn't mean like lasers and mecha builders, it means people like make up and set painters).

And yes, these are not hard and fast rules, but this is the general layout of a Hollywood movie/production.

heh...kids these days are spoiled and immature and their entertainment sucks...I guess the video narrator guy just hit forty eh?

heh...kids these days are spoiled and immature and their entertainment sucks...I guess the video narrator guy just hit forty eh?
Except that they audience still wants what it always wants, that hasn't changed. And what it want's has been what Hollywood has been selling for at least a decade now.

And I'm not saying reboots or remakes. Hollywood made it's money on those, and still would, if they just didn't change them so drastically.

Don't need to see it (Which I did anyway) to know that I agree. I have an explanation as to why, but... Honestly, it's long, and it could (Although I'm sure it doesn't) break the no politics rule. So I won't. Let's just say that Hollywood and the Rich that control it have no concept of how life is for everyone who isn't them.

Instead, I'm going to point out some misconceptions that the general audience may have about the industry as it was explained to me.

First the term Director and where it sits on the 'totem pole'. Most people think this is the most important person on a movie set. Sure, they're the face of the movie, often fielding the questions and have intimate knowledge of the script, plot and characters, and yet, this is actually incorrect. They're above the Actors, yes, but like the Actors they are just hired help, mercenaries if you will.

The other is the difference between Producers. Most people see the word Executive and assume they're the most important. Again, no. They're just a bunch of money men who provide funding, which is why you often have more than one in a production. And the more you have the more funding trouble the production has. Hence why Secret Hideout's various live action productions are so horrendous, they're often scraping multiple barrels to get the pennies.

The most powerful person in Hollywood is, yes you probably guessed by now, is the plain old Producer, They also provide funding, but they are also in charge of approving the script, the locations and they're the ones hiring all the help, from the Director to Actors, to 'special effects' studios (which doesn't mean like lasers and mecha builders, it means people like make up and set painters).

And yes, these are not hard and fast rules, but this is the general layout of a Hollywood movie/production.

Job titles on movie/TV productions are fluid as hell. Some producers are hands-on and make most of the decisions. Others are little more than wedding planners who arrange the schedule, the financing, or simply act as a buffer or conduit between the money and the talent. Some directors are the main creative force in a movie; others are little more than stage managers who make sure the script approved by the studio or producers is followed to the letter*. Still others get the job simply because they get along with the on-screen talent when that talent is too expensive to be fired.

It's like sports franchises. For one team, the owner makes most if not all the important decisions, no matter who actually holds the job title of coach, manager, GM, director of operations, etc, etc. On others, the owner just signs checks and the GM runs things. With other teams the coach/manager is in charge. On still other teams, the players have been known to get coaches hired or fired.

* If you can find it, read Gore Vidal's "Who Makes The Movies?"

Vidal worked at MGM during the studio era and really debunks the idea of Auteur Theory where movies are the creation of the director. For almost every movie under the studio system (and most made after), the studio or independent producer commissions a script, the writer(s) conjure one up. If the money people are interested, a budget is drawn up, a crew is hired and talent assembled. Directors had little or no say in the artistic decisions! If a shot was scripted as a medium shot, the director who valued his job had damned well better film that medium shot.

The old saying during the Golden Age Of Hollywood was that the star was the handsome man, the writer was the talented man, the producer was the ambitious man and the director was somebody's brother-in-law.

lightsabers.png

Rick Worley has another excellent video out:

The Special Editions Are the Movies, Get Over It

When I said Part Two was “coming soon,” I didn’t think that would mean three years, but better late than never right?

Hopefully it’s worth the wait for the people who have been asking for this. I think it’s the most comprehensive video that’s been made about the changes to the different versions of the Star Wars movies, and also a discussion about how and why the changes exist and why some of them are controversial, and a discussion about film preservation in general and why art changes over time. It’s divided into three parts so you can watch it episodically if you want, but I didn’t want to post it as three separate videos because it’s all interrelated.

Thanks for watching, and check back soon (sooner than three years) for Part Three!

Along with the late J.W. Rinzler and Nerdonymous, Rick Worley has done more than just about anyone to debunk a lot of the nonsense, character assassination and just plain stupidity from certain "fans" who have spent twenty-five years -and counting- dumping on George Lucas. Enjoy!

Almost 4 hours? No thanks. I scanned it to get the gist.

Seems like he could have made his point in a much, much shorter video essay (and this is a 3 parter??).

I don't care for the CGI addition in the SW films as I prefer the period charm of the originals but honestly I'm a bigger fan of THX 1138 and there the CGI additions on the later release feel extraneous but less intrusive.

Spielberg also went back and tinkered with what I consider his early masterpiece Close Encounters but then changed his mind and restored it to the original cut. I have a bluray set with 2-3 cuts of the film.

I wonder if Lucas would have done something similar if he hadn't had to deal with the toxic fandom for his films in a way that Spielberg never did (which considering how much of a hit Close Encounters was is actually a bit of a surprise). Personally I don't blame Lucas for spiting the haters.

I caught the Lego Star Wars All Stars that dropped on Disney+ earlier this month, on Star Wars Day. It's so joyful and fun, silly but never stupid. Especially recommened if you've seen the Freemakers adventures, it pretty much wraps up the series.

Another thing to keep in mind is you know that Disney must have the films original 35mm negatives in near perfect shape, carefully stored. So the original films aren't going anywhere ultimately.

It would be cool for a future anniversary for Disney to strike new 35mm prints from the negatives and do a theatrical-only tour.

I think Lucas put in the contract that the films up to that point were the final editions when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, which is why we’ll never see Special Editions of the PT or the original theatrical cuts of the OT.

I think Lucas put in the contract that the films up to that point were the final editions when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, which is why we’ll never see Special Editions of the PT or the original theatrical cuts of the OT.

I have blu rays sourced from Japanese laserdiscs that are as good as any offical release would be. If Lucas and/or Disney didn't want my money, fuck em,
my kids will get to grow up with the real film versions

I have blu rays sourced from Japanese laserdiscs that are as good as any offical release would be. If Lucas and/or Disney didn't want my money, fuck em,
my kids will get to grow up with the real film versions
Oh don't you worry, Disney will remake them all in a few years.

Huh, do you have a source for that? I can't imagine Disney expending that kind of money and not getting the original negatives.

Maybe there's a clause saying they can't release the originals (that still sounds unlikely to me) but no way they'd let him keep the original negatives I think.

I believe it’s just speculation based on some comments and quotes I’ve read from Lucas. I could definitely see them owning the original negatives but that doesn’t really mean anything at this point.

Worley makes some good points about how film illiterate yet pedantic some of the fandom is but I think his real contribution is unearthing this vital missing piece of Star Wars lore.

Huh, do you have a source for that? I can't imagine Disney expending that kind of money and not getting the original negatives.

Maybe there's a clause saying they can't release the originals (that still sounds unlikely to me) but no way they'd let him keep the original negatives I think.
Lucas has stated that he's made a point of not preserving the originals, but he also said he had the whole series planned out from the beginning, so he isn't the most reliable source when it comes to Star Wars.

Final cut rights are pretty iron-clad. That's how Orson Welles and later, his estate stopped Ted Turner from releasing a colorized version of Citizen Kane. Turner stopped colorizing altogether when other filmmakers called him on his vandalism.

Lucas has stated that he's made a point of not preserving the originals, but he also said he had the whole series planned out from the beginning, so he isn't the most reliable source when it comes to Star Wars.
Citations needed.

Worley makes some good points about how film illiterate yet pedantic some of the fandom is but I think his real contribution is unearthing this vital missing piece of Star Wars lore.

The only good thing about Underoos was when the older sister of a buddy of mine came home from college and decided to swipe his Iron Man underoos T-shirt and wear it to the pool. I never realized how many Iron Man fans there were who REALLY wanted to help her adjust her repulsor rays!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back