Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What has Vader ever succeeded at I wonder...? He failed to execute Reva twice, and that is just embarrassing. Vader has tried many things, in many shows and movies and about the only achievement I credit to him is employing the man who got Han Solo frozen and sent to Jabba.
The movies are geared towards the rebellion winning, not showing Vader's successes. Despite that, in The Empire Strikes back, it's all about his successes.

Just finished it, and yes, there were some problems, though I think many are overblown and viewed in a light that looks towards flaws rather than from a neutral standpoint. Though I'm a Star Wars fan from way back, I've taken the stance on that, marvel, and most IP movies that they are going to do what makes sense for them from a financial standpoint to draw in the largest audience possible. I viewed Obi-Wan as a way to open parts of the story that were closed, and to tie new characters with old characters for use in further stories. While its true that they could start out with new stories, these are more risky and will likely take time to gain traction.

Just my opinion on the subject.

What has Vader ever succeeded at I wonder...? He failed to execute Reva twice, and that is just embarrassing. Vader has tried many things, in many shows and movies and about the only achievement I credit to him is employing the man who got Han Solo frozen and sent to Jabba.

It just came to me unexpectededly that maybe the sequels had more of a plan than I always assumed. The plan was poorly performed, but I imagine Abrams wanted the viewers to see a story about an mystery girl who was one of the last people to discover she was Palpatines offspring, and the Skywalker family after a bit of a struggle end up accepting Rey despite her heritage. It just wasn't foreshadowed enough, and I don't feel like I had enough of a chance to figure these things out in advanced. Also the literal Emperor Palpatine returning in the flesh is too much for me, but I believe that is a old problem that was started by Maul. I think that an animated show that concentrates on this might have potential to be liked, but I don't know... a lot of star wars fans have historically put a lot of importance into DNA, and the trilogy... disagrees with that sentiment. It may be something only younger fans will appreciate.
To my mind it beggars belief that there could have been a plan and they would never have told Rian Johnson about it or that any of the Disney Execs responsible for overseeing the film wouldn't have reined in him if they though he was messing with it.

I suspect there was not so much a plan as a vague sense of a shape of the story. JJ Abrams is a hack, so it probably didn't occur to him that his successor would do anything with what he laid out other than the most obvious cliched things.

Just finished it, and yes, there were some problems, though I think many are overblown and viewed in a light that looks towards flaws rather than from a neutral standpoint.
Certainly. Though if you go on YouTube you can find videos where they proclaim that Kenobi ruined Star Wars forever!!! YouTube feels like Groundhog’s Day when it comes to Star Wars.

Certainly. Though if you go on YouTube you can find videos where they proclaim that Kenobi ruined Star Wars forever!!! YouTube feels like Groundhog’s Day when it comes to Star Wars.
Nah, that happened back in 2017. Now it's just people who are hoping against hope only to find that Disney just doubled down on the character assassination.

Nah, that happened back in 2017. Now it's just people who are hoping against hope only to find that Disney just doubled down on the character assassination.
Actually, Chris it happened back in 1999, when George Lucas “raped our childhoods” as Gen-X fans proclaimed in AOL chat rooms everywhere. This is one of the reasons why I’ve always been disgusted with a large portion of my fellow “fans”.

At a certain point people need to be able to just walk away.

Yeah, this. I mean, if I can do it with Spider-man, a character I was OBSESSED with from before a time I could properly speak or remember, then Star Wars fans can as well. Leave it for the next generation; it isn't for us.

Yeah, this. I mean, if I can do it with Spider-man, a character I was OBSESSED with from before a time I could properly speak or remember, then Star Wars fans can as well. Leave it for the next generation; it isn't for us.
I can still get irritable thinking about the abomination of “One More Day” and it’s been 15 years since it’s happened. Joe Quesada is the one EiC at Marvel who I didn’t like. Period. The thing is though, I never bought those comics and I was very, very wary of buying any Marvel comics for years after it happened. I didn’t keep consuming and say every Spider-Man story sucked.

I can still get irritable thinking about the abomination of “One More Day” and it’s been 15 years since it’s happened. Joe Quesada is the one EiC at Marvel who I didn’t like. Period. The thing is though, I never bought those comics and I was very, very wary of buying any Marvel comics for years after it happened. I didn’t keep consuming and say every Spider-Man story sucked.

That was the straw that broke it for me as well, it's where I finally decided that whomever this character was in the comics now, it wasn't the Spider-man I grew up with. I'm not angry about it these days, just sad. I lament the character I grew up with. But, I mean, but I could just contnue reading and complaining about it, some folks make entire YouTube careers about that, but I just ecided, well, I'm too old now, I'm not the target audience; I grew up with my Spidey and I cherish that, but I havent even watched the last two Spiderman films. If I want my Spidey, I still have those old comics to go back and reread and two seasons of the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. But for me, it was the choice to move on or just indulge my bitterness.

No matter how much I criticized the show, I wanted to say was an amazing scene between McGregor and Christensen after their battle. “You didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker…I did.” Oof!
So, it turns out that a "certain point of view" isn't self-serving equivocation on the part of a man who killed his best friend.

It's a good friend telling his dead man's son the version of the truth that the dead man himself would have preferred. It was mercy to the son and to the father's memory.

Until it wasn't, but nobody intended for Luke to come face-to-face with the man who killed his father before they'd prepared him better.

That was the straw that broke it for me as well, it's where I finally decided that whomever this character was in the comics now, it wasn't the Spider-man I grew up with. I'm not angry about it these days, just sad. I lament the character I grew up with. But, I mean, but I could just contnue reading and complaining about it, some folks make entire YouTube careers about that, but I just ecided, well, I'm too old now, I'm not the target audience; I grew up with my Spidey and I cherish that, but I havent even watched the last two Spiderman films. If I want my Spidey, I still have those old comics to go back and reread and two seasons of the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. But for me, it was the choice to move on or just indulge my bitterness.
The way I look at all of the MCU is that it's a different continuity. That way I can enjoy them for what is, rather than obsessing that the completely ruined the Extremis storyline, Nebula was used way too little in the Infinity Stones saga, Adam Warlock will never get the Soul Stone now, Ego was such a waste, Drax and Starlord have gone from badasses to comic relief, etc, etc.

The way I look at all of the MCU is that it's a different continuity.

Sure, just not a continuity I'm interested in anymore. If anyone told me 30 years ago I'd experience burnout from superhero films I'd have thought they were crazy, but the MCU has become so formulaic. There's still some I enoy (I think the last one was Thor: Ragnarok), but I'm not excited about them anymore. They aren't "events" in my life, just white noise. Ifinity War & Endgame was a fie jumping-off point for me, even if it was a limp to the end at that point.

To take this back to Star Wars: The Mandolorian did somethig I didn't think was possible - reignited my love of Star Wars from before the specal editions. It wasn't perfect, but it was really entertainig and it made me happy (and sad, in a good way). And I thought, naively, perhaps, some of the other stuff could continue that feeling, but they didn't. So I'm back off of that train. I'll be skipping the Ashoka series and whatever else is coming.

I've just finished Kenobi and I thought it was good - certainly more cohesive than the Boba Fett series. And it's got me thinking about watching the last two films which I didn't have any real inclination to do before now.

But like others have mentioned above, there comes a point where you have to be able to say 'this isn't aimed at me anymore'.

Whether you can enjoy it from that point or not is up to you. Using Marvel as an example, Peter Parker is MY spiderman. Miles Morales is clearly aimed at a number of different demographic groups...and that's ok. I can enjoy the stories to an extent but I recognise that they're not written for me (or rather my venn diagram of middle aged, white guy) to enjoy.

Going back to Star Wars, it hasn't been written for us middle aged white guys since 1997. Not the prequels, not the cartoons, none of it. And you can either accept that and enjoy what you can of the newer stuff or you can get bent out of shape and whinge online about how these multimillion pound franchises are going out of there way to persecute you.

One of these approaches is healthy and the other leads to the dark side. Only not the cool dark side with black leather and red lightsabres. The crap darkside. The one with sweatpants and fedoras.

Peter Parker was my Spider-man. There is a character called Peter Parker in Marvel comics now, but as of BND, it's not the Peter Parker that I knew, in anything but name.

I've no issues with Miles Morales. I didn't read Ultimate Spider-man after the first two trades - neither the writing, art, or redesign of the characters was to my taste - and so was never introduced to him in comics, but "Into the Spider-verse" was a fun film. I don't have any issue with him existing parallel to Peter Parker Spider-man, same as Miguel aka Spidey 2099. But, I always thought he was an unecessary invention after the original comics spent years setting up Hobbie Brown (Prowler) to take over the mantle from Peter, something that should have happened shortly after Peter's marriage.

OTOH, I don't believe "middle age white guys" are the only fans of Star Wars from my generation - I've known just as many women and folks of other ethnic backgrounds that grew up with the OT, enough that I think it does them a disservice to suffer erasure due to Hollywood "nerd" stereotypes that people have been holding onto for far too long, and reduce fandom to something racial. God knows that I can find plenty of Youtube chanels with folks of color spewing their opinion on the latest TV show/film mining some aspect of 80's nostalgia. But I agree with the overall point - there's no reason sticking with something - anything - just to hate on it. There's more productive uses of one's time.

Fuck, I really wish I had a higher tolerance for badly written entertainment that some of you guys seem to have! I really do. I don't expect perfection by any stretch but there's way too much stuff I watch that I don't enjoy due to the lack of logic, internal consistency, strange out-of-character choices, etc; not just Star Wars. Genuinely happy if you get enjoyment out of it though, sincerely! :thumbsup:

I think Ahsoka is a plot hole and that is too big to patch... what, was Ahsoka and Yoda too busy to use the force to log into the discord app and message each other?

I wonder what we'd be seeing if the length of copyright was 30 or 40 years instead of whatever it is.

Everyone would be free to do whatever they want with Star Wars.

But is that what most fans would want? The whole idea of canon would become completely untenable.

Property is theft, so intellectual property is intellectual theft. Funny thing is, if current IP laws were in effect when Walt Disney released Steamboat Willie, he would have been sued out of business in a heartbeat.

The best thing Disney could have done after buying the IP was jump 300 years into the future.

The best thing Disney could have done was let it die with dignity. Instead, it's the new girl in the whorehouse and they're going to hump her to death until people stop paying.

Are there a lot of Star Wars folks getting murdered that I don't know about?

There's a cottage industry of neckbeards praying for George Lucas' death, assassinating his character and almost driving Ahmed Best to kill himself. In a way, it's too bad the internet wasn't as available back in 1980: Chapman might have contented himself with just writing vile shit about how John Lennon's solo career raped his childhood instead of stalking and shooting him.

That horrid storyline made me sell off my collection of 500 Spiderman comics and never look back. What were they thinking?!?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back