Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One unused setting bit I've got floating around in my head is the plasma cutting torch head as a common weapon used by gangs and thugs.

I think the Gunstar is one of the best star fighter designs - even if you disregard the prototype blossom pattern.
  • Tail stander without looking like a V2 - saves weight on aerodynamic surfaces or anti-gravity. Gimballed engines for the win!
  • Big - more plausibly so than a TIE fighter at least.
  • Two crew - although at least none of the crew were a goose.
  • Weapons on a turret - shoot one way, thrust in another.
Finally, rendered on a fecking Cray. None of your penny-ante Silicon Graphics kit here. The X-MP was a supercomputer for real men. It wasn't until the RealityEngine (Crimson, Onyx) came out 10 years later that SGI made a machine that caught up with it.
Ok, an Onyx workstation was about 1/50 of the price of a Cray, but who's counting?

A little google-fu reveals that SGI hadn't actually released any products at the time The Last Starfighter was being made. Their first standalone workstation with hardware 3D graphics was the IRIS 3000 series (3010-3030), introduced in 1986. The IRIS 4D, the ancestor of the '90s era machines of SGI's heyday was introduced with MIPS CPUs and the GR1 family of graphics accelerators in 1989.

The RealityEngine family was the first generation to have comparable performance to the Cray XMP. It was introduced in 1993, more than 10 years after X-MP used in TLS, which was first introduced in 1982. The fourth and last major iteration of SGI's hardware used the XBow bus and VPro graphics subsystems and was introduced in 1997. These continued through into the 2000's in the Origin, Octane and Fuel/Tezro family of machines, the last proprietary graphics workstations the company would make. By then, NVIDIA had taken over the market for commodity GPUs and AMD's Opteron had made 64 bit machines available to the masses. The proprietary workstation vendors couldn't sustain the R&D costs to compete with the volumes shipped by NVIDIA and AMD, and the last RISC workstations had been withdrawn from the market by the late 2000's

Later, SGI brought out the Virtu family based on commodity hardware with NVIDIA GPUs running a port of IRIX, but the company went under in 2010. Much like Cray, they were bought out for their expertise in integrating and supporting supercomputer systems (which these days are just clusters of commodity servers), and exist in name only.

Last edited:
Haven't run the numbers but I think the Holdo maneuvre is capable of being simulated in d6 rules as a Capital scale vs capital scale full speed ram attack. Why can't you do it to the death star? Its death star scale.

Haven't run the numbers but I think the Holdo maneuvre is capable of being simulated in d6 rules as a Capital scale vs capital scale full speed ram attack. Why can't you do it to the death star? Its death star scale.

In order for the Holdo maneuver to work in game terms means promising to buy the GM several lap dances at the strip club.

In order for the Holdo maneuver to work in game terms means promising to buy the GM several lap dances at the strip club.
Must be annoying to break up ship to ship combat to go down to the strip club every time you want to do anything,

He is Ral Partha lord of the Balrogians his friend in black there is the Prince of Mustafar.
I didn't know Mustafar had any human inhabitants. It's an automated mining operation on an uninhabitable world.
Yeah well, it's owned by the royal family of Aman and it's a principality they shuffle off embarassing younger sons to.
Those sure are a lot of Gammoreans.
Yeah, Ral Partha and the Black Prince liberated them in a war or something.
That's funny, they're conquerring and enslaving everything else.

But I also think, too, that Disney’s gone very conservative. Post-[Bob] Iger, they seem to be in IP management mode. You’re going to get all the Star Wars and all the Marvel you can handle for the next decade.

293757230_8386814151344201_4806563025625045303_n.jpg

So after two decades of being a full member of the "George Lucas raped my childhood!" crowd, Simon Pegg (who likened the Prequels to infanticide) is having second thoughts because the sequels his friend wrote and directed (and was nice enough to cast Pegg in the first one) are garbage and now the neckbeards are trashing Pegg's buddy and Disney Star Wars in general?

Whatever happened to "If you can't take it, don't dish it out"?

Last edited:

Looks appropriately epic. Feels like Star Wars. Hopefully it won't have be written/created by a complete and utter f*cking moron, like Kenobi and Book of Boba Fett both were!

Last edited:
Looks appropriately epic. Feels like Star Wars. Hopefully it won't have be written/created by a complete and utter f*cking moron, like Kenobi and Book of Boba Fett both were!

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, and I might have a learning disability...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back