Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So, it occurred to me today that force healing is a darkside power in the sequel movies and ET heals people so ET is a Sith, but whether he is the master or the student I cannot tell.

Baby Yoda heals people how is that a darkside power?

Tales of the Jedi was quite good, we get to see another Yoda-creature Jedi, the Count Dooku arc and final episode are particularly good.

Rather specifically to Rey in the sequel trilogy but the reason she is so powerful with so little training is that she's channelling the darkside of the force and healing appears to be unknown to the Jedi. Take the story of Darth Plagius the wise...

Ever since I was a kid, I thought that Obi Wan healed Luke with the Force after scaring off the Tusken Raiders (he places his hand on Luke's forehead in a very deliberate way).

Shrug.

Yes, I'm not familiar with her, was she in the prequels or EU?
She was in the Jedi Council in The Phantom Menace. My guess is Tales of the Jedi explains why she wasn't in Attack of the Clones?

So a funny line of thought came out of the coffee break conversation at work yesterday. Suppose for a moment that George Lucas took the Star Wars formula from the first movie and applied it to The Empire Strikes Back. So here the rebels win at Hoth and it is Darth Vadar who loses on Bespin and falls down the shaft, escaping once more in his personal custom tie fighter. And suppose each episode basically ran with the same formula where the good guys always win the desperate struggle at the end and Darth Vadar always escapes in his custom tie fighter. Would Star Wars still be the big franchise it is today? I suppose there's an argument that The Force Awakens already takes that approach right?

So a funny line of thought came out of the coffee break conversation at work yesterday. Suppose for a moment that George Lucas took the Star Wars formula from the first movie and applied it to The Empire Strikes Back. So here the rebels win at Hoth and it is Darth Vadar who loses on Bespin and falls down the shaft, escaping once more in his personal custom tie fighter. And suppose each episode basically ran with the same formula where the good guys always win the desperate struggle at the end and Darth Vadar always escapes in his custom tie fighter. Would Star Wars still be the big franchise it is today? I suppose there's an argument that The Force Awakens already takes that approach right?
That sounds a bit like the original Battlestar Galactica TV series at times.

Ever since I was a kid, I thought that Obi Wan healed Luke with the Force after scaring off the Tusken Raiders (he places his hand on Luke's forehead in a very deliberate way).

Shrug.
Yeah, he's either healing him, or diagnosing him, or both. I don't see any other way someone could interpret that.

The latest episode of Andor 'One Way Out' is truly stirring. A wonderful mix of hope and regret with two contrasting monologues from Andy Serkis and Stellan Skarsgard.

It honestly reminds me of Melville's WWII Resistance masterpiece Army of Shadows in the way it captures the fear and dread of a small group of rebels fighting against overwhelming fascism. How desperation drives people to rebellion to assert their own dignity.

The genius of both is how they undercut the easy romanticism of Resistance narratives by reminding you of just how terrifying and hopeless it must seem to those who dare to resist a fascist regime but that just brings home the remarkable courage and sacrifice the people involved display.

I still haven’t watched past the first episode. I should probably catch up but I haven’t felt a great stirring in me recently to do so.

I still haven’t watched past the first episode. I should probably catch up but I haven’t felt a great stirring in me recently to do so.

It is deliberately paced, each arc leads to a big action climax but it is a lot of suspense, character and social portraiture most of the time, so if you go in knowing that I think you'll like it.

The hype online for it, even among the supernegative fandom, seems to be building.

I was waiting until it was done to watch the whole thing.
That’s probably the best way to do it. It’s essentially structured as 4 movie-length arcs, where they spend two episodes building tension and character and then there’s a big action-filled climax in the third. Watching it week to week can be frustrating, waiting three weeks for the release, which has led to lots of (wrong IMO) complaints that it’s slow and boring. I suspect it won’t feel that way viewed in multi-episode blocks.

IMO this is legitimately great adult tv with great acting, great dialogue, and perceptive exploration of deep ideas. On HBO without the Star Wars branding I suspect it would have been much better received - it seems like the critics are mostly on board, but the Star Wars fandom had such a negative reaction to the first 3 episode arc that it’s been an uphill climb and the ratings have been low. The show exists in a weird liminal place where I think it’s least appealing to hardcore Star Wars fans, but the people who would best appreciate it are out off by the branding.

I mean, I’ll be honest. I didn’t think the first episode was that great, so I felt no urge to keep watching right away. I’m also not invested in Cassian in any way, shape or form. He was probably my least favorite character in Rogue One.

He’s also one of the least interesting characters in his own show, which is a very interesting storytelling choice - his primary role seems to be an unwitting catalyst, bringing both the latent heroism and latent villainy out of those around him, even though all he wants for himself is to be left alone.

The show may well not be for you - it’s very talky and cerebral and much more about a conflict of ideas than physical action (though each episode arc does also have physical action in its climax).

The people who say it “doesn’t feel like Star Wars” are right - it really doesn’t. To me that’s a good thing, I think it’s better than normal Star Wars, but I can understand why people who are bigger fans of the franchise than me - who watch all the animated series and read the novels and comics and play the video games and who think the prequel movies are underrated, wouldn’t feel that way. I’ve heard people say this series feels more like Blade Runner than Star Wars and I can see that.

I mean, I’ll be honest. I didn’t think the first episode was that great, so I felt no urge to keep watching right away. I’m also not invested in Cassian in any way, shape or form. He was probably my least favorite character in Rogue One.

I found the first episode just okay but as it kept going I was hooked.

Episodes 8, 9 and (especially) 10 are an incredible watch. Especially back-to-back. Fantastic storytelling. I was lukewarm on Andor but then went back to it. Those last three episodes are... wow. Some amazing dialogue. My fave bit is in 9 when Andor asks Kino (Serkis' character) how many guards there are early in the episode and he doesn't tell him, then things happen and he just asks the same question again at the end (of the episode) and Kino answers this time. I know it just sounds simple, it is, but it conveyed the shift in attitude and plot progression perfectly and in a really powerful way.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back