The Thirteen Moons of Shamballa (in-character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Major Hunter will take aim at the commander with his ray gun hoping to kill him and cause panic amongst his troops.

OOC: Does Major Hunter figure that he is in range?
Hunter has no prior experience with his ray gun, so he has no way to be sure except his observations of the ray guns he saw used on Aeterna and now on Volcana. Based on those occasions, he feels he should have no trouble hitting the tank commander from this distance.
Spisarevski sprints (and climbs) for the open hatch, hoping Hunter's raygun would drop the blue ape down and free the path.
Is there anything in particular Spisarevski is doing to get past the handful of blue apes between him and the tank?

Hunter has no prior experience with his ray gun, so he has no way to be sure except his observations of the ray guns he saw used on Aeterna and now on Volcana. Based on those occasions, he feels he should have no trouble hitting the tank commander from this distance.

Is there anything in particular Spisarevski is doing to get past the handful of blue apes between him and the tank?
I thought they had passed our position...

Well, if by "had passed our position" you mean "are running directly toward our position," then yes. :devil:
That's not quite what I had in mind, though...
OK, does the rifle has anything like an obvious burst fire mode?
If not, I'd presume that Spisarevski can, unlike me, distinguish between the front and the back of the blue Apes, and probably try doing something else.

That's not quite what I had in mind, though...
OK, does the rifle has anything like an obvious burst fire mode?
If not, I'd presume that Spisarevski can, unlike me, distinguish between the front and the back of the blue Apes, and probably try doing something else.
Unfortunately there only seems to be a trigger and a dial, numbered from zero to eleven, where a normal gun's hammer would be, for changing the intensity of the beam. Zero, perhaps, is off; currently your weapons are set to 9, which is enough to kill a gnome and set him afire.
Major Hunter will squeeze off a shot at the tank commander.
Chuck some six-siders!

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! Also: no kill like overkill.

Spisarevski moved one of his guns' dial up to 11 and aimed it at the blue apes, opening fire as quickly as he could. If he could scatter them, he could try and run through a hole in the ranks...

Spisarevski moved one of his guns' dial up to 11 and aimed it at the blue apes, opening fire as quickly as he could. If he could scatter them, he could try and run through a hole in the ranks...
Chuck some six-siders! Remember, you can also fire at more than one target if you want to take -1D6 per each additional target.

Unfortunately there only seems to be a trigger and a dial, numbered from zero to eleven, where a normal gun's hammer would be, for changing the intensity of the beam. Zero, perhaps, is off; currently your weapons are set to 9, which is enough to kill a gnome and set him afire.

Chuck some six-siders!
I will set it to 11 and try and blow that commander's head clean off.

1 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 6 = 20

I will set it to 11 and try and blow that commander's head clean off.

1 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 6 = 20
One moment the captain of the blue ape legionaries is barking out orders to his troops, the next moment there is nothing above his shoulders but charred and smoking blue neck fur and melted remnants of his helmet dripping down.
20190511_205118.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck some six-siders! Remember, you can also fire at more than one target if you want to take -1D6 per each additional target.
I think AsenRG AsenRG lost his dice...

I think AsenRG AsenRG lost his dice...
:shock:And here I thought that you've already rolled for me!
I'm just don't know what to roll. How many shots are that? Do I get a penalty for charging up?

Also, Spisarevski has 4d+1 in Rayguns. My dice are kinda crazy today. 18, total 19...I refuse to believe it and roll again.
18, total 19. If there's no penalty, that is.
I then rolled 3d6 twice, assuming that might be what you require (1d penalty for something, or if you want two shots, which seems reasonable).
15, total 16 and 13, total 14.
Tell me, dice, are you setting me up for a botch at an even less opportune moment?

...in fact - I suspect it would be better if Dumarest Dumarest rolls for me! Let's not anger the Stochasticity Spirits with outrageous results:grin:!

:shock:And here I thought that you've already rolled for me!
I'm just don't know what to roll. How many shots are that? Do I get a penalty for charging up?

Also, Spisarevski has 4d+1 in Rayguns. My dice are kinda crazy today. 18, total 19...I refuse to believe it and roll again.
18, total 19. If there's no penalty, that is.
I then rolled 3d6 twice, assuming that might be what you require (1d penalty for something, or if you want two shots, which seems reasonable).
15, total 16 and 13, total 14.
Tell me, dice, are you setting me up for a botch at an even less opportune moment?

...in fact - I suspect it would be better if Dumarest Dumarest rolls for me! Let's not anger the Stochasticity Spirits with outrageous results:grin:!
I can roll for you. There is no penalty for charging up; if anything closing the distance would probably make it easier to hit. You get -1D cumulative for each shot after the first. How many shots shall I roll?

I can roll for you. There is no penalty for charging up; if anything closing the distance would probably make it easier to hit. You get -1D cumulative for each shot after the first. How many shots shall I roll?
Well, I don't think Spisarevski has enough skill for more than two shots. So let's say he double-taps* two of the enemies he's running towards.

*A double-tap is a single shot in most similar systems. If that's not the case here, forget the double-tap...I want to express the character's actions, not to make them unlikely to succeed due to probability:grin:!

One moment the captain of the blue ape legionaries is barking out orders to his troops, the next moment there is nothing above his shoulders but charred and smoking blue neck fur and melted remnants of his helmet dripping down.

"Jolly good shot, what!" Major Hunter exclaims with glee. "I say Spisarevski, did you see that ape's head disintegrate? I would have loved to have some of these rifles at the Somme, or Verdun. The lads and I would have given the Hun a proper hiding!"

Well, I don't think Spisarevski has enough skill for more than two shots. So let's say he double-taps* two of the enemies he's running towards.

*A double-tap is a single shot in most similar systems. If that's not the case here, forget the double-tap...I want to express the character's actions, not to make them unlikely to succeed due to probability:grin:!
Spisarevski takes advantage of the proximity of the apish onslaught and manages to vaporize two of the legionaires that were front and center, leaving a gap amidst the other four blue apes. If he so desires, he believes he could run through the gap to the tank before the simian ranks can close upon him. There is a moment of hesitation as the remaining blue apes realize that at least two of their quarry are using their own weaponry against them and their tank commander is no longer heading up the attack.

Of course, Spisarevski doesn't stop moving, nor does he hesitate for that matter. Hesitation wasn't a trait that his education had tolerated.
And he tries to shoot on the move, just to make them keep their heads low.

As Spisarevski makes his move between the columns of blue ape legionaries and lays down suppressive rays, he finds he will be upon the tank in moments. Although the commander is dead, there must be a crew inside and the tank is still lumbering forward on its huge treads. The main cannon, currently facing off to your right, has slowly begun to swivel forward.

Will he climb onto the tank? Meanwhile, what will Major Hunter do?

Spisarevski uses his momentum to speed up his ascent on the tank. If there is more than one hatch, he is going for the one closest to the front of the machine.

Major Hunter will provide covering fire for Spisarevski. Once he makes it to the tank, Major Hunter will dash across the opening and try and get into the tank as well.

Spisarevski makes it aboard the crawling tank without much difficulty as there are built-in handholds for just such a purpose. The sole hatch immediately accessible to him is the one on top, which is partly blocked by a decapitated blue ape corpse with a smoldering neck.

Meanwhile, Major Hunter finds his dash blocked by the closing ranks of the four lead legionaries. He'll need a Strength roll to muscle his way through, or he can engage them in combat. However, if he delays for combat he will inadvertently allow them time to surround him.

IC: Spisarevski looks at the body and shoots at it, hoping his rifle would vaporize it just as it did with the living legionnaries.
If it does, he lowers the energy and shoots through the hatch inside the tank, aiming for multiple shots.

OOC: I'm assuming you mean "vaporize legionnaires" when you write that.
Also: at least the Major has muscle aplenty!

IC: Spisarevski looks at the body and shoots at it, hoping his rifle would vaporize it just as it did with the living legionnaries.
If it does, he lowers the energy and shoots through the hatch inside the tank, aiming for multiple shots.

OOC: I'm assuming you mean "vaporize legionnaires" when you write that.
Also: at least the Major has muscle aplenty!
Like so, at least when set on 11:
acme.gif
I'll post the outcome of your shot once we have Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel's decision.

Spisarevski makes it aboard the crawling tank without much difficulty as there are built-in handholds for just such a purpose. The sole hatch immediately accessible to him is the one on top, which is partly blocked by a decapitated blue ape corpse with a smoldering neck.

Meanwhile, Major Hunter finds his dash blocked by the closing ranks of the four lead legionaries. He'll need a Strength roll to muscle his way through, or he can engage them in combat. However, if he delays for combat he will inadvertently allow them time to surround him.

Major Hunter will barrel his way through them, shouldering one and smashing the butt of his rifle into another.

His Strength roll is a:

4 + 1 + 6 + 4 = 15

(and if needed for the blow with the rifle's butt) his Hand to Hand roll is a:

4 + 2 + 5 + 2 + 2 = 15

Spisarevski blasts the remains of the tank commander, utterly disintegrating the corpse and thereby clearing the entry into the tank. He can hear grunting echo within. Shooting inside, he hears the loud ZING of his raygun as it bounces off metal and reflects around inside the cabin. What damage it has done, he cannot see without descending.

Major Hunter makes his way through the closing ranks of blue apes by sheer force of brawn and swung rifle butt, though a few sharp ape nails scrape his arms and shoulders as they attempt to grapple him before he boldly leaps and climbs atop the front of the tank. The swiveling cannon nearly smashes into his gut as he does so, but he manages to avoid it by a hair.

Raygun blasts burn through the air at the two men atop the tank as the ape legionaries bracket you and find the range. You both have a feeling that their aim will be true any moment now.

"Inside Spisarevski, quickly man!" Major Hunter shouts as he goes to swing into the commander's hatch.

Once he gets inside the tank he will draw his dagger and attack any of the crew that might be still alive after Spisarevski's shot.

OOC: Do I need to make any rolls?

"Inside Spisarevski, quickly man!" Major Hunter shouts as he goes to swing into the commander's hatch.

Once he gets inside the tank he will draw his dagger and attack any of the crew that might be still alive after Spisarevski's shot.

OOC: Do I need to make any rolls?
I will tell you as soon as I know what AsenRG AsenRG has in mind for Spisarevski. :hehe:

Spisarevski follows the Major, dagger in his right hand and rifle in the left. Even when you hold it in one hand, you can still club someone with the rifle butt, he had found.

Spisarevski follows the Major, dagger in his right hand and rifle in the left. Even when you hold it in one hand, you can still club someone with the rifle butt, he had found.
There are three blue-furred ape legionaries inside the tank: a driver, a cannon operator, and a navigator. All are wearing nothing but extremely tight briefs and their fur is matted from sweating in the nearly unbearable heat inside the vehicle. One is holding a singed arm where it appears a ray-blast hit him. All have drawn short swords despite having ray-pistol sidearms, likely wary of ricocheting ray-blasts. No one is manning* the controls and the vehicle is lurching out of control as it crushes trees, shrubs, and gnomes in its path. Through a small view-slit at the front, you can see a plain beyond some trees and then it appears there is a sudden gulch through which a river rushes. If the tank's course isn't corrected soon, it's liable to go over a steep drop into the rapids below.

We'll call the wounded ape A and the others B and C. Tell me who you're attacking and make your Melee rolls; I'll do the same for the apes.

* or aping the controls, if you will. :hehe:

Spisarevski jumps forward, beating the shortsword off his path, and stabs at the exposed belly of an unsinged ape, before cutting on its wrist on the return swing.

Major Hunter will draw his dagger and attack the closest ape, aiming for its heart, trying for a quick thrust in order to bring it down as fast as possible. If successful, he will turn his attention to next closest one.

(His hand to hand for Str and Dex is the same)

He rolls a most ridiculous number!!!!! (woohoo!):dice: :heart:

5 + 5 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 28

Spisarevski jumps forward, beating the shortsword off his path, and stabs at the exposed belly of an unsinged ape, before cutting on its wrist on the return swing.
Shall I roll for you?
Major Hunter will draw his dagger and attack the closest ape, aiming for its heart, trying for a quick thrust in order to bring it down as fast as possible. If successful, he will turn his attention to next closest one.

(His hand to hand for Str and Dex is the same)

He rolls a most ridiculous number!!!!! (woohoo!):dice: :heart:

5 + 5 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 28
I'll update with the results of your ASPCA-disapproved actions once I hear from AsenRG AsenRG.

Shall I roll for you?

I'll update with the results of your ASPCA-disapproved actions once I hear from AsenRG AsenRG.
If it's not equal, mechanically, to 2X4d attacks (keeping the 1-die penalty in mind), definitely!
If it is, I got 19 on the first roll and 12 on the second.

Major Hunter plunges his blade into the heart of the wounded ape, thereby killing him. Simultaneously, Spisarevski manages to injure a second ape, not killing him but putting him out of the fight for the foreseeable future. However, while Spisarevski attempted to recover and turn the face the third legionary, that same legionary lunges with his short sword, slicing into Spisarevski's left shoulder. Realizing he is outnumbered and likely to die, the ape asks, "Would you take me prisoner if I surrendered?"

"Mandrasana maymuna!", Spisarevski curses, but stops himself.
"Yes. You're officially a prisonner! Now obey your captors, and stop the damn machine before we fall in the rapids!"

"Mandrasana maymuna!", Spisarevski curses, but stops himself.
"Yes. You're officially a prisonner! Now obey your captors, and stop the damn machine before we fall in the rapids!"
"My apologies, hairless one, but I am the cannon operator. I haven't been trained to operate this vehicle. You've most unfortunately managed to kill the driver and incapacitate the navigator."

"Prisoner eh? Well drop your weapons and behave yourself, you overgrown cerulean chimp. Where's the controls now? What!"

OOC: Major Hunter will plop down into the driver's seat and look for a break pedal or leaver. If it's like the tanks he saw at the Somme, hopefully he'll be able to figure out how to stop and, or, steer it.

(In case a roll is needed he has 2D+1 for Mechanical -Driving)

He rolls a:

3 + 2 + 1 = 6

The legionary's sword makes a clatter as it drops to the floor. Major Hunter turns his attention and less-than-consummate address to the unfamiliar controls of the tank: he gamely pulls a lever, toggles a switch, and shifts a postal steering stick to avert disaster and is rewarded with the grating sound of metal grinding on metal and the shrieking of gears being stripped as the tank hurtles forward at an increased speed toward the steep drop and the fast-moving waters below.

"Not this one! That one!", Spisarevski says, attempting to be helpful.
And he pulls another lever with complete confidence...

Roll 2d for me, please? My diceroller insists on tempting the dice spirits again:grin:!

"Not this one! That one!", Spisarevski says, attempting to be helpful.
And he pulls another lever with complete confidence...

Roll 2d for me, please? My diceroller insists on tempting the dice spirits again:grin:!
Spisarevski, dissatisfied with the speed Major Hunter has coaxed out of the rumbling armored vehicle, pulls a lever in a glorious attempt to slow or stop the tank, but unfortunately the end results of his magnificent efforts is a sudden sharp turn, which causes the tank to hit a large stone protuberance with its starboard tread, which in turn makes the vehicle wobble up and nearly onto its back like an upside down turtle; luckily the vehicle goes into a roll and continues to do so, rolling end over end downhill and over the edge, whereupon it shoots through the air and down into the rapids below, where it smashes hard upon the rocks before sliding down slippery moss, slipping into the water. The open top hatch and the hull of the vehicle, having been breached by the rocks, are allowing the cabin to quickly fill up with water.

Everyone is wounded by the fall. I don't have the rules with me so I need to double-check whether that changes Spisarevski's status since he was already injured in the sword fight.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back