The Thirteen Moons of Shamballa (in-character thread)

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
OOC: I'll wait. And hey, at least we stopped the tank assault!
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
OOC: I'll wait. And hey, at least we stopped the tank assault!
The good news is Spisarevski is only Wounded, not Incapacitated; the bad news is all his die codes are reduced by 1D until he's been treated.

You hear from high above, through the open hatch, shouts from the familiar voices of Bonario, Volpone, Corvino, Corbaccio, and Jörg. From the sound of it, they've been captured at the cliff's edge where they were looking to see if you survived the fall. A contingent of blue ape legionaries sporadically, desultorily, and ineffectually fire their rayguns into the river--the range is too great and the current is now rockily moving the semiflooded tank downstream. Your blue ape companion looks aghast at the water that has now risen to your knees and asks, "What exactly was your plan for after we hit the water? I'm ready to assist for our mutual survival."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"The plan was to not hit the water", Spisarevki grumbles. "But we're no more trained than you to drive the tank. We still had to stop it somehow, though, or our hosts would have been killed to the last!"
He looks at Major.
"Well, Major, how about we and our captive leave the tank before we've had to swim out? I don't fancy that with a wounded arm. And we can return for our five friends later."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
As Spisarevski and the ape legionary wait for the uncharacteristically silent Major Hunter to respond, the exterior of the tank begins to make loud THUNKING sounds, which, upon investigation, turns out to be the noise made when a gnome's body slams into the armor of the vehicle. Peering up through the hatch, you see legionaries tossing still-living gnomes off the edge of the cliff and giving each other pats on the back and encouragement as they laugh. It appears they are having a macabre contest to see who can splatter a gnome against the rocks. You can also see your friends Bonario, Volpone, Corvino, Corbaccio, and Jörg being marched off, with ball-and-chain affixed to their ankles, away from the edge of the cliff.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
Major Hunter, with a building rage goes over to the Blue Ape.
"Is that cannon still functional? Is the turret still able to rotate? If so, turn it towards those brutes on top of the hill, and show me how to site and fire it. Now!"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"I approve", Spisarevski smiles. "It would be unfair to make you shoot it, our prisoner or not. But showing us how to use the tank is fine by me".
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"You madmen speak of treason against the Emperor!" replies the ape, shocked to the fiber of his being. "You have lost your minds! Besides, they are merely having a little fun. Tossing sub-men is no crime!"
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"You madmen speak of treason against the Emperor!" replies the ape, shocked to the fiber of his being. "You have lost your minds! Besides, they are merely having a little fun. Tossing sub-men is no crime!"
'One more word from you, and I put the end of that ray gun's barrel in your mouth and squeeze the trigger! Do as you're told. I won't ask again.'
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
'One more word from you, and I put the end of that ray gun's barrel in your mouth and squeeze the trigger! Do as you're told. I won't ask again.'
"Well, sir, if you are inclined to view things in that way, I have no option but to comply with your request, although for the record I must add that I do so under protest!" responds the ape. He shows you a control panel dominated by a joystick and two buttons, the top of which is green and activates a targeting screen and the bottom of which is red and he states, "It couldn't be simpler, you see. Even a primitive from Aeterna could operate it. You merely swivel the joystick until what you want to destroy is within your crosshairs, then you depress the red button to destroy it."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
Major Hunter will follow the gunner's instructions, and get the screen lined up so that the group of apes tossing the gnomes are within the "cross hairs." Once they are lined up, he will press the indicated button and, hopefully, vapourise the miscreants.

Do I need to roll anything?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"See, our captive...we're from very far away", Spisarevski explains, while looking at the Major's preparations. "And it's the custom in our land that killing helpless people - whether you believe they're subhumans or not - is a crime. Making a sport out of it only makes it worse. So, while you could argue that it's customary in your empire...well, you can say your friends had very poor luck. Because they did as your custom dictates, but now we get to observe our custom".
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"See, our captive...we're from very far away", Spisarevski explains, while looking at the Major's preparations. "And it's the custom in our land that killing helpless people - whether you believe they're subhumans or not - is a crime. Making a sport out of it only makes it worse. So, while you could argue that it's customary in your empire...well, you can say your friends had very poor luck. Because they did as your custom dictates, but now we get to observe our custom".
"What cockamamie balderdash!" retorts the blue ape.
Major Hunter will follow the gunner's instructions, and get the screen lined up so that the group of apes tossing the gnomes are within the "cross hairs." Once they are lined up, he will press the indicated button and, hopefully, vapourise the miscreants.

Do I need to roll anything?
You should chuck your dice for Dexterity or the Heavy Weapons skill, if you have it.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
The tank cannon fires an orange-ray energy projection upwards, blasting into the cliff face just below a group of legionaries about to heave a wriggling gnome into the river below. The cliff face is shattered in a massive explosion, causing rocks and dirt and blue-furred apes to plummet down along with the gnome they still have gripped by the legs. It almost seems like events happen in slow motion as you watch one blue ape's skull shatter against a rock, a second blue ape's crotch get pierced by a long-dead branch projecting from the cliff, a scatter of rocks and dirt clatter against the exterior of the tank, and the gnome, now free of the apes' grip, fall through the hatch of your armored vehicle and land atop the ape gunner with a heavy thud. The resultant jerk loosens silt beneath the tank, allowing the river current to wash you forward and downstream, and the vista of the clifftop soon passes from view. The water inside the tank is now up to your waists and through the tank's view slit you now see you are quickly approaching a waterfall.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"Jolly good shot that. What! I say Spisarevski, did you see those blue chimps plummet off the side of the cliff? By the way, it seems as if it's time to abandon ship. Women and children to the lifeboats, and all that. That waterfall is fast approaching."

With that said, Major Hunter slings a raygun over his shoulder, scrabbles out of the hatch, grabbing the gnome by the scruff of his collar while doing so. Once on the turret he will offer Spisarevski his hand to help him up and out. Once the Spisarevski is safely out of the tank Major Hunter will slam the hatch closed. If the Blue ape is conscious and trying to get out as well, he will look for a way to latch it shut from the outside. Regardless, he won't spend too much time on this, making sure that he will have enough time to swim to shore.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Spisarevski also takes a raygun and his blade. With the Major's help, Spisarevski drags the gnome out, unless the poor thing is dead, but prevents Hunter from latching the hatch shut.
"I suggest we release the prisoner instead, Major", he retorts.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"Why would you want to do that?" Major Hunter asks incredulously. "The beast, and I use that word intentionally, the beast is cruel and callous. A taste of his own medicine would do him good. I'll tell you what, the gnomes are the injured parties here. Let our gnome friend decide. What do you my good chap? Do we drown the brute, or let Spisarevski here look after him?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"Why would you want to do that?" Major Hunter asks incredulously. "The beast, and I use that word intentionally, the beast is cruel and callous. A taste of his own medicine would do him good. I'll tell you what, the gnomes are the injured parties here. Let our gnome friend decide. What do you my good chap? Do we drown the brute, or let Spisarevski here look after him?"
"Uuuunnnhhhh," groans the battered, but still living, gnome.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"Why would you want to do that?" Major Hunter asks incredulously. "The beast, and I use that word intentionally, the beast is cruel and callous. A taste of his own medicine would do him good. I'll tell you what, the gnomes are the injured parties here. Let our gnome friend decide. What do you my good chap? Do we drown the brute, or let Spisarevski here look after him?"
Spisarevski looks the Major in the eyes before replying.
"Cruel and callous he is. But we are not like him."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
OOC: BTW, is the legionary conscious?
"You misbegotten malcontents! You call us brutes and criminals and yet you show your true colors as you debate whether to lock me inside this infernal contraption and send me to a watery tomb? Bah! Fie on you!" spits the legionary. "But my wit is nimble, gentlemen! I will pledge my troth to your cause, however obtuse and impractical it may be, if you but let me live and join you as a boon companion!" He hands the woozy gnome up to you and says, "Here! Proof of my goodwill!"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"I'd say...carry him safely to the bank, and you'd be free to leave or come with us", Spisarevski says. "Fair deal, Major?"
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"Boon Companion eh? Well that is something else, isn't it? I will take your word, and spare your life. As my gentle friend Spisarevski says, take the Gnome to the bank, SAFELY, and then you can join us in our quest. What ever it may be." Major Hunter whispers into Spisarevski's ear before the ape starts to climb out. "I say we take him with us. We need a guide, and I don't trust him not to betray us to his companions once he is free of us."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"I concur", Spisarevski answers in the emblematic style of the Major himself (which has also been used by countless Spartans before him...but according to Spisarevski, Sparta is close enough to his home city).
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
With strong strokes, the legionary, hoisting the gnome onto his back, swims to the river's edge and places the unconscious gnome on a patch of weeds just above the bank. Beyond a slight climb over rocks and weeds, there stands a copse of trees and beyond that you can see in the distance what looks to be a log cabin beside a well.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
Major Hunter will dive in and swim to the shore. Once there, he will wait for Spisarevski to arrive, then he will suggest that they carefully, and stealthily, make their way to the cabin. He will instruct the legionnaire to carefully carry the gnome. Perhaps help can be found at the cabin for the wounded gnome, and Spisarevski?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
I'm assuming Spisarevski is also swimming to the shore. @AsenRG can tell me if he did something else instead, in which case I'll revise.

Hunter and Spisarevski emerge sopping wet on the far bank of the river just in time to watch the tank scrape against a protrusion of rocks and tumble upside-down before plummeting over the edge of the waterfall. You don't see, but hear, the smashing, shattering of the tank when it hits additional rocks somewhere below. Meanwhile, your ape legionary companion is surveying the territory and looking rather timorous at the prospect of traveling eastward towards the cabin. The gnome groans and turns over, still unconscious.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"Is there anything dangerous in that direction, boon companion?", Spisarevski inquires.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"Is there anything dangerous in that direction, boon companion?", Spisarevski inquires.
"It is a forbidden wasteland. The mere existence of that domicile is alarming! There should be nothing but wild animals."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"Why in the nine hell is the place forbidden, though?", Spisarevski inquires further.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"Why in the nine hell is the place forbidden, though?", Spisarevski inquires further.
"This area was used for testing of the Emperor's new weapons systems, including radiation bombs," says the legionary, his blue fur standing on end. "Mutants abound, or so it is whispered."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
Major Hunter assumes his familiar military demeanour. "Well, it's pointless just standing here. Let's head for the house, and once there we can plan what our next move will be. You there, legionary, what is your name and rank?
Spisarevski, how is your arm? are you able to fight if need be?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
Major Hunter assumes his familiar military demeanour. "Well, it's pointless just standing here. Let's head for the house, and once there we can plan what our next move will be. You there, legionary, what is your name and rank?
Spisarevski, how is your arm? are you able to fight if need be?"
"I am Gunnery Sergeant Gilipollas of the Third Armored Cavalry. Perhaps you would be so kind as to identify yourselves, as well as provide me with a weapon, if you intend that we should enter The Proscribed Sector."
 
Last edited:

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"Major Hunter, formerly of the Royal Horse Guards. We will provide you with one Sergeant, as soon as we acquire extra weapons. Now pick up that little chap and fall in after me. Single line, and keep space between us. Spisarevski, you watch our rear flank. Come on lads, fall in, and keep your eyes peeled."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"I am Spisarevski, a man of science, formerly from His Majesty's finest - the Thirty Third Foot regimen of Svishtov", the Earthling says. "I was wounded worse in the latest war, which the Major's compatriotes call The Great War. I still kept on fighting, though... Now, let's go. I'll cover the rear."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
477
"I am Spisarevski, a man of science, formerly from His Majesty's finest - the Thirty Third Foot regimen of Svishtov", the Earthling says. "I was wounded worse in the latest war, which the Major's compatriotes call The Great War. I still kept on fighting, though... Now, let's go. I'll cover the rear."
"Quite. Let's go then." Major Hunter takes his ray gun in hand, and leads on carefully scanning the terrain, and the house for any movement.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Spisarevski scouts the rear just as carefully for signs of approaching danger.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,776
Reaction score
16,589
"Quite. Let's go then." Major Hunter takes his ray gun in hand, and leads on carefully scanning the terrain, and the house for any movement.
Spisarevski scouts the rear just as carefully for signs of approaching danger.
As you approach the cabin you find it is screened by well-tended hedges on three sides, leaving the front the only clear approach. There are heavy curtains in the windows and the large wooden front door is closed; however, one of the curtains is slightly askew and you perceive a glinting as of sunlight reflecting off metal. You can't tell what it is, though. Aside from that, the area is quiet aside from the expected fluttering of bird wings and chittering of squirrel-like creatures amongst the trees. There is no sign of danger or pursuit from the rear. Gunnery Sergeant Gilipollas observes Spisarevski's caution and states flatly, "No legionary would be fool enough to follow us into The Proscribed Sector."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
As you approach the cabin you find it is screened by well-tended hedges on three sides, leaving the front the only clear approach. There are heavy curtains in the windows and the large wooden front door is closed; however, one of the curtains is slightly askew and you perceive a glinting as of sunlight reflecting off metal. You can't tell what it is, though. Aside from that, the area is quiet aside from the expected fluttering of bird wings and chittering of squirrel-like creatures amongst the trees. There is no sign of danger or pursuit from the rear. Gunnery Sergeant Gilipollas observes Spisarevski's caution and states flatly, "No legionary would be fool enough to follow us into The Proscribed Sector."
"Well, that's what we're hoping for", Spisarevski answered. "But you said yourself that there's other possible threats, right?"
 
Top