The Thirteen Moons of Shamballa (in-character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
"You wanna sleep in the shit, be my guest," says Buttersocks.

Although Major Hunter does his best not to laugh, the gladiators in close proximity have been watching with rapt attention and cannot help but guffaw as the situation turns from merely ridiculous to sublimely humorous to them.

I think we need Spisaresvski to make a Dexterity roll to see how well he accomplishes his trick--or if he accomplishes it at all.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Do I get no bonus for having done that before:grin:?
It's a 9 on 4d6, BTW.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Spisarevski spectacularly misjudges the speed and force necessary to free the sheet without dislodging Buttersocks, and instead pulls both sheet and Lord of Picklenut Forest onto himself, the smaller man landing face to face and nose to nose on top of Spisarevski.

As the crowd gathers in anticipation of fisticuffs or possibly outright murder, an older gladiator with a wiry frame and ropy muscles leans toward Hunter's left ear and whispers, "If you seek to escape, speak to me when everyone else is asleep."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Spisarevsky lifts the gnome and puts him back on the bed.
"You don't even have the inertia of bottles, little man. Rest, now, on the bed - I'll set my sheets on the floor."
And he proceeds to make his own accommodation. He's slept on the floor while on the march towards the trenches - that's no worse, here.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Spisarevski spectacularly misjudges the speed and force necessary to free the sheet without dislodging Buttersocks, and instead pulls both sheet and Lord of Picklenut Forest onto himself, the smaller man landing face to face and nose to nose on top of Spisarevski.

As the crowd gathers in anticipation of fisticuffs or possibly outright murder, an older gladiator with a wiry frame and ropy muscles leans toward Hunter's left ear and whispers, "If you seek to escape, speak to me when everyone else is asleep."

Major Hunter bursts out laughing at the absurdity of the situation in spite of his intention to pretend to be asleep. He will surreptitiously mark who spoke, and discretely, and marginally nod to him.
"Spisarevski old bean. That just won't do at all. Sleep over here, next to my bunk so the Buttersocks doesn't jump on you in your sleep."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Taking in account the Major's words, Spisarevski moved his humble accommodation.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Unless Hunter or Spisarevski do something, the gladiator quarters settle down, though an air of disappointment permeates the room as the others were clearly anticipating more entertainment, perhaps a fight; soon all lights are out and loud snoring resounds throughout the chamber. You hear Buttersocks mutter, "How am I supposed to sleep in all this racket? Nobody ever thinks of the little people..."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Spisarevski goes peacefully to sleep, grinning at the "issues" of Buttersocks. Obviously a big bed does not a happy night make!
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
OOC: Are the barracks completely dark, or is there some light?
Major Hunter will wait until he is sure all are asleep, and gently wake Spisarevski by lightly tapping his arm. Once he awakens Spisarevski he will motion for silence and whisper softly close to his ear what the other gladiator said.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Once he is awake and hears it, Spisarevski nods and whispers l.
"OK. You wake the catboy, I shall wake up Gilpo".
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
OOC: Are the barracks completely dark, or is there some light?
Almost completely dark, but there is a flickering light that edges slightly into the gladiator quarters from beneath the door to the corridor to the banquet hall, as well as from beneath the locked metal door at this end of the room, where your bunks are located.
Major Hunter will wait until he is sure all are asleep, and gently wake Spisarevski by lightly tapping his arm. Once he awakens Spisarevski he will motion for silence and whisper softly close to his ear what the other gladiator said.
Once he is awake and hears it, Spisarevski nods and whispers l.
"OK. You wake the catboy, I shall wake up Gilpo".
As you prod Sinbar and Gilipollas awake, Spisarevski feels a large hand fall gently upon his shoulder and hears the gruff voice of Feoduro, the eight-foot fighter, lowered to a raspy whisper as he says, "Ah, I had a feeling you'd be awake and seeking my bunk. Don't be embarrassed; the new meat often does."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Almost completely dark, but there is a flickering light that edges slightly into the gladiator quarters from beneath the door to the corridor to the banquet hall, as well as from beneath the locked metal door at this end of the room, where your bunks are located.


As you prod Sinbar and Gilipollas awake, Spisarevski feels a large hand fall gently upon his shoulder and hears the gruff voice of Feoduro, the eight-foot fighter, lowered to a raspy whisper as he says, "Ah, I had a feeling you'd be awake and seeking my bunk. Don't be embarrassed; the new meat often does."
Spisarevski turns around on his heels and toes, thus moving aside from the hand.
"You...sleep lightly indeed, Feoduro! I barely had the time to take a night walk when you spotted me. Or did you have other plans, perhaps?"
While speaking, he also checks where the Major is relative to the gladiator and waits for him to knock him out from behind.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Spisarevski turns around on his heels and toes, thus moving aside from the hand.
"You...sleep lightly indeed, Feoduro! I barely had the time to take a night walk when you spotted me. Or did you have other plans, perhaps?"
While speaking, he also checks where the Major is relative to the gladiator and waits for him to knock him out from behind.
OOC: Major Hunter will go for the kill in this instance, not wishing to take any chances. As Spisarevski is distracting the Gladiator, Hunter will come up behind him and break his neck.
What should I roll?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
OOC: Major Hunter will go for the kill in this instance, not wishing to take any chances. As Spisarevski is distracting the Gladiator, Hunter will come up behind him and break his neck.
What should I roll?
Brawling, or Melee if you're using a weapon of some kind.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
Spisarevski will help as soon as the lord approaches...by grasping the gladiator's hands, as if taking a sudden decision.
Preferably at the exact moment Hunter makes his move.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
OOC: just to let you know, I'll be posting from my phone for the next two weeks, possibly/hopefully more. If I'm not being detailed, please excuse me by virtue of the medium.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Holidays?
Have great time!!!!
Just to be clear, this is what Spisarevski and Hunter are saying during their attempt at murder? :hehe:

No weapons, just his hands. So Hand to Hand?
He will try and snap the amorous gladiator's neck.

HtoH 5D I roll a 23.
What is Hunter's Strength code? Roll it for damage, or tell me and I'll roll it for you.
Spisarevski will help as soon as the lord approaches...by grasping the gladiator's hands, as if taking a sudden decision.
Preferably at the exact moment Hunter makes his move.
We need a Brawling roll for Spisarevski as well as a Strength roll for damage, or tell me how does and I can roll it for you.
 
Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
OOC: Why? You mean we need to roll to succeed? Preposterous!
I don't have access to Orokos.com on my phone, and what my diceroller gives me is unverifiable, so you roll for me. Brawling 5d, Strength 3d.


IC: Spisarevski tries first and foremost to use the advantage of surprise to make Hunter's attack easier. Of course, he wouldn't refuse dealing some damage himself, say with a single leg, or failing that, a knee to the groin followed by fists behind the ear.
 
Last edited:

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Hear! Hear! I'm in the wilderness of Northern Ontario fighting off hordes of black flies, and having no success in catching fish. Probably because of the monsoon like rain we're having... :grin:

My Strength is 4D, and I have a + 1D for hand to hand.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
I'll be updating this on Monday. Sorry for the delay but I'm currently occupied with some unforeseen issues and won't be online at all until then.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
OOC: Why? You mean we need to roll to succeed? Preposterous!
I don't have access to Orokos.com on my phone, and what my diceroller gives me is unverifiable, so you roll for me. Brawling 5d, Strength 3d.


IC: Spisarevski tries first and foremost to use the advantage of surprise to make Hunter's attack easier. Of course, he wouldn't refuse dealing some damage himself, say with a single leg, or failing that, a knee to the groin followed by fists behind the ear.
Hear! Hear! I'm in the wilderness of Northern Ontario fighting off hordes of black flies, and having no success in catching fish. Probably because of the monsoon like rain we're having... :grin:

My Strength is 4D, and I have a + 1D for hand to hand.
Major Hunter lays hands on Feoduro and finds the latter feels like a mound of solid muscle. Together with Spisarevski, Hunter attacks the massive gladiator only to find himself shoved roughly away. To Spisarevski, Feoduro says softly, "What infamy is this? I sought only to discuss joining forces tomorrow in the arena, which I believed you would be interested in."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Major Hunter also softly replies in turn "I thought you had other ideas for Spisarevski that involved your bed. We'll have none of that. If it's an alliance you want then my comrades and I must discuss it before we say 'Yay', or 'Nay.' "
OOC: breaking his neck may be dodgy, but what about crushing his windpipe? Does Major Hunter think that will be feasible?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
IC: "I would no doubt support an alliance", Spisarevski nodded, noting the innate prowess of the mountain man.
Having been in the Weimar, he himself was not as amazed as most of his compatriotes would be at the offer of relations running against nature - this vice was quite practiced in that city, it seemed - but he wasn't interested in partaking, either.
Besides, if their escape was a failure...what does it matter who dies next to you in a fight against trained killers?

OOC: I doubt you can do anything before you bring his neck down to at least your head level. A shovel hook/knifehand to the kidneys might do it, though Hunter probably considers the former "a brawl-like American tactic" with all the disdain reserved for American boxers that don't practice their straights nearly enough - and the latter, "a killing blow".
How likely he is to enjoy such tactics is anyone's guess, of course. It seems some British did, like Fairbairn.
Thus endeth tonight's course in history of the hand-to-hand combat in the first decades of the previous century.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Major Hunter also softly replies in turn "I thought you had other ideas for Spisarevski that involved your bed. We'll have none of that. If it's an alliance you want then my comrades and I must discuss it before we say 'Yay', or 'Nay.' "
OOC: breaking his neck may be dodgy, but what about crushing his windpipe? Does Major Hunter think that will be feasible?
IC: "I would no doubt support an alliance", Spisarevski nodded, noting the innate prowess of the mountain man.
Having been in the Weimar, he himself was not as amazed as most of his compatriotes would be at the offer of relations running against nature - this vice was quite practiced in that city, it seemed - but he wasn't interested in partaking, either.
Besides, if their escape was a failure...what does it matter who dies next to you in a fight against trained killers?

OOC: I doubt you can do anything before you bring his neck down to at least your head level. A shovel hook/knifehand to the kidneys might do it, though Hunter probably considers the former "a brawl-like American tactic" with all the disdain reserved for American boxers that don't practice their straights nearly enough - and the latter, "a killing blow".
How likely he is to enjoy such tactics is anyone's guess, of course. It seems some British did, like Fairbairn.
Thus endeth tonight's course in history of the hand-to-hand combat in the first decades of the previous century.
Given that he's about eight feet tall and no longer surprised, Hunter surmises it would be a long shot at best.

"You had best discuss it quietly," Feoduro replies in a whisper.

Instantly you sense movement in the darkness behind you as the wiry older gladiator who spoke to you previously reveals himself and says softly, "Decide soon, for tomorrow will be our best chance to escape." He cautiously approaches but stays just beyond arm's reach.

Time seems to stand still for a fearful moment as you all suddenly hear raucous snorting and inharmonious snoring from the bunk occupied by Buttersocks. He seems to be sleeping fitfully and rolls over onto his right side. You would almost believe he was watching and eavesdropping except his eyes are closed and he appears to be asleep. It's very hard to make much out in the darkness of the room.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"Aye! I'll give it a go." Responds Major Hunter in a low whisper. "I can't speak for the others, but I'm sure they don't want to end up as entertainment for the Emperor, and his cronies."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
"Aye! I'll give it a go." Responds Major Hunter in a low whisper. "I can't speak for the others, but I'm sure they don't want to end up as entertainment for the Emperor, and his cronies."
The old man says in a hushed tone, "I am Arrugado. I have been here many years and yet still I live. Do you wonder how this can be? It is because I fight with my mind, not my body like these halfwits." He nods at the sleeping gladiators. "If you want to escape, be ready on the morrow when I give the sign. We will have but one chance, for which I have curried favors and greased palms for many weeks. You may be suspicious as to why I include others. Simply put, it will be dangerous and the more targets I can give the Emperor's guards, the better the odds for myself."

Buttersocks rolls over in his fidgety, agitated sleep and coughs loudly--or perhaps it seems loud only in comparison to the quietude of the chamber.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Major Hunter replies in a similar soft tone. "I am Major Hunter, and this is my friend Mr Spisarevski. Gilipollas, and the Lion Man are also with us, as is The snoring gnome. We are with you then. You tell us when and where, and we will be ready. Spisarevski, quietly let the others know, but don't wake Buttersocks. We'll tell him when the time comes."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
"I'm pretty sure the small one knows", Spisarevski whispered back. "I'll tell him tomorrow in case I'm wrong, and keep an eye on him in case he tries to play too smart for his own good."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"I'm pretty sure the small one knows", Spisarevski whispered back. "I'll tell him tomorrow in case I'm wrong, and keep an eye on him in case he tries to play too smart for his own good."
"Yes, I think you're right. Let's both keep an eye on him."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Arrugado says, "I will shout 'By the tar pits of Frigida!' when it is time to act. You will know what to do, and you should be armed by then. Simply follow my lead and all of us will secure our freedom--either through death or escape. Hearken well for my words 'By the tar pits of Frigida!' Now we must sleep so we are not too weary to make our move on the morrow."

Unless you move to continue the conversation, he will slip off into the darkness to sleep in his bunk.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,663
Reaction score
7,642
OOC: I wanted to let Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel reply first, but maybe he didn't get notification?
IC: "So be it. But I strongly prefer the escape option", Spisarevski replied.
"What advice can you give us to make sure that this is the option that comes to bear?"
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"I agree with Spisarevski. Escape is what we want." Major Hunter replies, carefully studying Arrugado for any sign of deception.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top