The upside to coronovirus!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
b33cd897c279f57ec9f0b120df794bf5.jpg

Hmm 2020 you are a committed mofo! We can add burning western US to your list with a side of school cancellations due to either toxic air or power outages or in lucky cases both!

Hmm 2020 you are a committed mofo! We can add burning western US to your list with a side of school cancellations due to either toxic air or power outages or in lucky cases both!
Burning the Western US has been done before. I think 2020 is starting to run out of ideas at this point.

A town got wiped out here in Eastern Washington by a wildfire a couple of days ago. We almost never get wild fires that bad here.

Well it seems the number of cases is on the rise again. Fortunately, at the moment, less people seem get so sick that they end up in hospital or the IC or die from it. It all has to do with certain age groups doing the majority of the infecting.

Well it seems the number of cases is on the rise again. Fortunately, at the moment, less people seem get so sick that they end up in hospital or the IC or die from it. It all has to do with certain age groups doing the majority of the infecting.
If your location is like mine it's a spike in the under 30 crowd. They go out more and party/ heavily socialize. As long as they keep to themselves the hospitals should stay fine but if they go visit grampa we'll start to see problems.

If your location is like mine it's a spike in the under 30 crowd. They go out more and party/ heavily socialize. As long as they keep to themselves the hospitals should stay fine but if they go visit grampa we'll start to see problems.
Yeah, also, the majority is happening in a few of our larger cities. But these people also mingle with other age groups in work places or stores for example, so where social distancing is difficult to maintain there's a risk.

At my work masks have now become obligatory in all places where it's difficult to stick to 1.5 m distance, but masks give you far less protection than distancing does, so there's still a risk of infection as well. Fortunately, I work in a spot where it's easy to maintain a distance from others, so I don't need to wear a mask. We're also urged to call in sick at the slightest covid-like symptoms.

A town got wiped out here in Eastern Washington by a wildfire a couple of days ago. We almost never get wild fires that bad here.

My parents live in Western WA and said they can't currently have their windows open because there's so much smoke in the air.

We've had coronavirus before too. 2020 is all about seeing what things look like when you turn it up to 11.

So you're saying 2020 is the Rifts of years?

Eeeeep! Don't goad it, its incredibly petty. We might end up up to our backsides in rabid, radioactive Giant weasels or something. O.O
This was a perfect moment for a Rodents of Unusual Size reference and it was wasted. I hope you're proud of yourself :tongue:

We've had coronavirus before too. 2020 is all about seeing what things look like when you turn it up to 11.
Fair point. As someone living on the East Coast, I made a point of moving out of an address on the water to a location westward of the flood plain at the beginning of the 2020 hurricane season. Still, I'm not sure that living in a place that has never flooded before is any real guarantee this year.

Fair point. As someone living on the East Coast, I made a point of moving out of an address on the water to a location westward of the flood plain at the beginning of the 2020 hurricane season. Still, I'm not sure that living in a place that has never flooded before is any real guarantee this year.
You moved off the water?!?

Guy at Oak Ridge labs has a theory that explains a lot of the weird random symptoms of COVID-19 disease. It also points to some ways to possibly reduce the more deadly symptoms. There’s a ton of articles about it, google the “Bradykinin Hypothesis”.

You moved off the water?!?
Yes. I was renting there anyway. While the house was raised, the flooding was becoming regular enough to make me nervous about the safety of my game collection. I'll miss having a steady supply of fresh crab meat though.

Yes. I was renting there anyway. While the house was raised, the flooding was becoming regular enough to make me nervous about the safety of my game collection. I'll miss having a steady supply of fresh crab meat though.
Ok I was going to say you're crazy! But my if you have to choose between waterfront and your game collection I agree the games are more important.

That's a big blunt.

Attachments

• Smoking Seattle.jpg
    Smoking Seattle.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 11
Washington State Discovers First 'Murder Hornet' Nest In US

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Scientists have discovered the first nest of so-called murder hornets in the United States and plan to wipe it out Saturday to protect native honeybees, officials in Washington state said.

After weeks of searching, the agency said it found the nest of Asian giant hornets in Blaine, a city north of Seattle near the Canadian border. Bad weather delayed plans to destroy the nest Friday.

The world’s largest hornet at 2 inches (5 centimeters) long, the invasive insects can decimate entire hives of honeybees and deliver painful stings to people. Farmers in the northwestern U.S. depend on those honeybees to pollinate many crops, including raspberries and blueberries.

Despite their nickname and the hype around the insect that has stirred fears in an already bleak year, the hornets kill at most a few dozen people a year in Asian countries, and experts say it is probably far less. Meanwhile, hornets, wasps and bees typically found in the United States kill an average of 62 people a year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said.

Washington State Discovers First 'Murder Hornet' Nest In US

Wierd. I have a friend who had one in their yard in Vancouver WA. They're getting around.

Ok we're entering flu season here on the correct side of the globe. Time for a check-in on how your country is handling our current favorite pandemic.
If you would could you please as much as possible state the country you're in and/or ones you feel you have sufficient contact with, what requirements they have, how that's change recently, how people are actually behaving, level of fatigue with the requirements, and level of infection. Also anything I missed you think might be important.

Ireland.

We reentered total lockdown except for essential services (basically food stores) and schools. This started last week. People are adhering to the guidelines pretty closely. Everyone has masks when I go out and there is very little activity on the streets. I wouldn't say people are very tired of it, but there's a hope it won't be extended until Christmas. Infection was low enough until it rapidly spiked three weeks ago which led to the current situation. It seems it reached the critical mass where it just spreads like wild fire.

The only major annoyance for people is that today is the Halloween bank holiday when there'd be plenty of events on, so it's a pity to miss that.

Ok we're entering flu season here on the correct side of the globe. Time for a check-in on how your country is handling our current favorite pandemic.
If you would could you please as much as possible state the country you're in and/or ones you feel you have sufficient contact with, what requirements they have, how that's change recently, how people are actually behaving, level of fatigue with the requirements, and level of infection. Also anything I missed you think might be important.
I come from New Zealand, where they handled the epidemic spiffingly, but I live in the UK, home to the first world's second most incompetent government. Sometimes I regret my life choices.

Wierd. I have a friend who had one in their yard in Vancouver WA. They're getting around.
Vespula Germanica is a major invasive pest in New Zealand, in spite of their Stalin-level paranoia on matters of biosecurity. If Asian Giant Hornets were found in New Zealand I suspect MAF would have kittens.

United States, state of Georgia, AHAHAHAHA HHA AHAA AHAA HAHHAHAHAHA ;_;

(I do at least live in Athens, which is a college town, and other than the dumb students and a few middle aged crazies, people here seem to be taking it more seriously. When I went to early vote the other day, people were actually spreading the line every 6 feet and I only saw one person not wearing a mask. But the moment you are outside of Athens or Atlanta it is horrendous.)

Here on the incorrect side where cats chase dogs and birds walk, we skipped flu season completely. Pandemic precautions have stopped the spread of completely ordinary rhinoviruses as well. I have no doubt that once we're all vaccinated against Covid, the government is going to continue encouraging masks and social distancing for people with nuisance diseases.
I come from New Zealand, where they handled the epidemic spiffingly, but I live in the UK, home to the first world's second most incompetent government. Sometimes I regret my life choices.
We've kept the coffee on.

Here on the incorrect side where cats chase dogs and birds walk, we skipped flu season completely. Pandemic precautions have stopped the spread of completely ordinary rhinoviruses as well. I have no doubt that once we're all vaccinated against Covid, the government is going to continue encouraging masks and social distancing for people with nuisance diseases.

We've kept the coffee on.
Fascinating. I am curious how much weather impacts transmission as well as population density. So is daily life where you are pretty normal except you wear masks?

United States, state of Georgia, AHAHAHAHA HHA AHAA AHAA HAHHAHAHAHA ;_;

(I do at least live in Athens, which is a college town, and other than the dumb students and a few middle aged crazies, people here seem to be taking it more seriously. When I went to early vote the other day, people were actually spreading the line every 6 feet and I only saw one person not wearing a mask. But the moment you are outside of Athens or Atlanta it is horrendous.)
I'm going to piggyback on what EmperorNorton said, since I live in a rural part of said state. Technically, where I work at requires masks for entry, but no one bothers to enforce it, since they don't want to risk someone going psycho and shooting employees as a result.

Fascinating. I am curious how much weather impacts transmission as well as population density. So is daily life where you are pretty normal except you wear masks?
Masks were very common three weeks ago when we had just come out of a partial lockdown to wait out a community cluster (that came into the country on a shipment of frozen food, which is a worry). Now it's mainly the elderly that wear them.

EmperorNorton EmperorNorton Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
I'm assuming schools are all fully open. Are you seeing/hearing much about transmission/outbreaks there? Especially interested in Student vs teacher infection. If schools are open are they doing any mitigation?

EmperorNorton EmperorNorton Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
I'm assuming schools are all fully open. Are you seeing/hearing much about transmission/outbreaks there? Especially interested in Student vs teacher infection. If schools are open are they doing any mitigation?

The Clarke County (where I live) schools are 100% remote right now, but I know most of the school systems in Georgia are open.

I'm glad the schools here decided to go remote because my younger son started high school this year. (My older son is 18 and out of school right now, so that isn't as much of a concern. At this point we're just calling this year a wash. He hasn't started college or anything because trying to start your life in this mess is just not worth it.)

Where I live borders two separate counties. One has had students commit to either on-campus attendance or learn-from-home for a certain period of time, 9 weeks for elementary students, 18 weeks for older ones. That county has been pretty good about releasing numbers, which to be fair overall haven't been too high, less than 1% of the overall student/teacher populace.

The other county had a staggered plan of students initially divided into two groups, one attending in-person in Monday and Tuesday and learning from home on Thursday and Friday, with the other group at home Mon and Tues while attending in person Thur and Fri. They've since shifted to at-home on Monday and on-site Tues-Fri for all students. I know they've had some outbreaks as well, but it's harder getting an overall summary as opposed to individual reports.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back