The upside to coronovirus!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Fuck that's bad. I mean I hope you're vaccinated and if so then you personally are probably good. But if youre immunocompromised or have young children at home or old (80+)people who you see that's just balls.
I'll be alright. Well, as alright as I can. Double-jabbed and more than happy to go off sick.

toitoitoi.jpeg
This is making the rounds on social media over here. “German Corona-strategy for schools this autumn.” Pretty spot-on, actually; all the grownups are protected by the vaccine, so we can't curtail their Freedom! for the sake of the alleged children some of them might have, and kid's don't get ill anyway. Oh well, I'm certain things will make a drastic change for the better when Laschet is chancellor. (What's the sarcasm font on this forum again?)

I had expected the need to explain the phrase, but apparently it also works in English.

Whelp, North Idaho now has more coronavirus patients than hospital beds. They're now allotting ICU beds to people most likely to survive. Spokane Isn't as dire, but getting there.
I know the feeling. Our school admins kept telling us "We didn't have a case all last year so trust us on our opening plan". Despite being lame as hell with hundreds of kids eating in a lunch room and kids without masks at recess. So what happened week one? Cases with transmission linked to the school. Good times.

I know the feeling. Our school admins kept telling us "We didn't have a case all last year so trust us on our opening plan". Despite being lame as hell with hundreds of kids eating in a lunch room and kids without masks at recess. So what happened week one? Cases with transmission linked to the school. Good times.
It's sad how predictably this is playing out in too many places. I just saw blurb that kids are a quarter of the new cases in the U.S.

It's sad how predictably this is playing out in too many places. I just saw blurb that kids are a quarter of the new cases in the U.S.
It's so frustrating. The state & county have a mandate to get the kids in school full time first and safety second (all safety rules can be bent,ignored if they need to for the kids to be in school full time).
Ok that's not a horrible thing to say all schools need some latitude to get kids in school. However that gets translated into we don't have to do smart things.

Why the hell do I listen to school board meetings.

Imagine a dull knife jabbed slowly into your eye. And that's how you try to go about solving the problem of them boiling your kids alive.
Let's just say I'm considering using the boardgame A Distant Plain as a model for the battle for education in the time of Covid.

I'm curious about how the job market is in other countries right now. It's absolutely crazy here in the USA, due to a massive employee shortage.

Same here. We currently have lots of flex workers from Poland and Spain in particular.
Maybe I'm misreading that but it sounds like you have excess workers. We have a massive shortage of workers. I would say wages have gone up almost 100+% in 7 years for the no skill/ no experience group.

Maybe I'm misreading that but it sounds like you have excess workers. We have a massive shortage of workers. I would say wages have gone up almost 100+% in 7 years for the no skill/ no experience group.
No no. We have a shortage so flex workers are called in from all over Europe.

A resident at the facility I work at died recently because an overworked and hospital staff had to deal with 200+ un-vaccinated morons instead of keeping a 24 hour watch on high risk patients.
Fuck people, fuck this goddamn pandamic and fuck this fucking year.

Yeah it's a concern all these ridiculous protest marches going on everywhere around the world, actually having the opposite effect of what all of us want, including those morons marching. If anything is gonna keep a community in lockdown at present, it's a super-spreader event.

I live only four hours away from my parents, it's not far but every time we have school holidays or public holidays we end up in a temporary lockdown for a week or two, whilst the outbreak gets under control. It's not the end of the world, but my parents haven't seen their grandchildren all year because of this. I know that isn't much in the scheme of things, but one of the reason I didn't relocate abroad was so I could ensure my children had regular contact with my parents.
This is getting ridiculous, on account of these idiots protesting all the time and spreading the bloody virus.

My wife has recently lost a family member to this illness, and you can imagine her frustration and distress when she hears these absolute lunatics saying that COVID doesn't exist. Makes mean so angry that these complete jerks are putting her thru this all the time, she cannot get away from it all.

Everytime I see these anti-vaxers marching on the news I hear the '60s/'80s tune Dancin In The Street in my head, except my brain changes it to 'Dickheads In The Street'...

Sorry to vent, and I had better not go any further as this is possibly dipping in the murky waters of Politics, so I'll repect the RPGPub's 'No Politics' rules.
It's just a little hard finding an 'upside of corona virus' as in the thread's title...

Well if there is any upside, I think the world feels more globally connected now, even with the travel bans.
Having shared adversity and shared frustrations is probably overall good for humankind, so looking thru rose-tinted glasses I think this is definately one positive feature we can take out of all of this :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Over here, the president of the KBV (the club of physicians who accept payment by the about-compulsory health insurance), a pretty relaxed fellow who says that we'll only be rid of the pandemic when everybody's been infected, is advocating for a Brit-style Freedom Day when all measures, including vaccinations, will be called off. He says it'll scare a lot of the undecided into getting vaccinated ASAP, and the rest will develop immunity in the natural way. I don't know what he thinks about silly people who for some reason can't be vaccinated, e.g. those who with malice aforethought voluntarily elected to be beneath the age of 12.

Well, kind of an upside here is that the introduction of a required CoronaCheck pass when visiting hotels, restaurants, bars, theaters and such is convincing lots of people to get vaccinated after all, because they don't want the hassle of getting tested every time. (You will only be allowed in if you're fully vaccinated, have recovered from Corona or were recently tested negative.)

Downside to all this, is protesting idiots comparing this to WWII and the holocaust...

Last edited:
Downside to all this, is protesting idiots comparing this to WWII and the holocaust...
In a way this is like WWII, except instead of everyone coming together to defeat a great evil, their bitching about their "Freedoms". "Freedoms" that infringe on other peoples right to live.
My grandfather was 11 when Pearl Harbor was attacked, far too young to join the military. What he did instead was drop out of school and go work in the local lead/zinc mine. He jokes that he probably contributed to the most dead Nazi's due to the amount of bullets he pulled from the ground. Did he want to postpone his schooling to work in a mine?
I hate wearing a mask, they're uncomfortable and even sometimes painful to wear, and I can't grow a beard in order to keep a tight seal. But I still fucking wear it because, like my Grandfather, I know that if I don't people will die.

Is there such a thing as a hairnet for beards? Just curious.
IIRC Hercule Poirot used to wear something like that for his moustache in at least one TV or film adaptation.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I've always heard them called "beard nets". I rarely see them here, due in part I think to the local health code allowing short trimmed beards in food service.
Edit: My original point was about shaving to wear N95'S tightly.

In a way this is like WWII, except instead of everyone coming together to defeat a great evil, their bitching about their "Freedoms". "Freedoms" that infringe on other peoples right to live.
My grandfather was 11 when Pearl Harbor was attacked, far too young to join the military. What he did instead was drop out of school and go work in the local lead/zinc mine. He jokes that he probably contributed to the most dead Nazi's due to the amount of bullets he pulled from the ground. Did he want to postpone his schooling to work in a mine?
I hate wearing a mask, they're uncomfortable and even sometimes painful to wear, and I can't grow a beard in order to keep a tight seal. But I still fucking wear it because, like my Grandfather, I know that if I don't people will die.
:heart::thumbsup:
I'm starting to think the upside of the coronavirus is at least some of those bitching aren't going to make it through COVID. But then I'm in an unusually dark mood today, due to learning we've got some of those at the gym, so maybe that explains my, hopefully temporary, change in outlook:shade:.

I just hope they'd introduce a health pass faster:devil:!

The unvaccinated are the ones in the most danger of getting infected and ending up hospitalized, but they keep claiming it's the vaccinated who are scared of them... I'm... really struggling to still make sense of this but I can't. The group stupidity is just too much.

The unvaccinated are the ones in the most danger of getting infected and ending up hospitalized, but they keep claiming it's the vaccinated who are scared of them... I'm... really struggling to still make sense of this but I can't. The group stupidity is just too much.
Yes, I just wrote the numbers for Bulgaria. I'm deeply satisfied that the coronavirus portal is now publishing stats on vaccinated and unvaccinated hospitalizations and deaths...:devil:

Let's just say 26 victims in 24 hours with 0 of them being vaccinated should give some people pause:shade:.

Mind you, I'm not saying they are going to listen. I'm just saying "should":thumbsup:.

The 1.5m distancing guideline/rule was dropped today and the mandatory CoronaCheck Pass introduced. There has been a steady decline in all covid numbers of late. Let's see how the numbers of hospitalizations are going to develop now.

Over here we have a wonky three-pronged approach now, with three ranges each for incidences per 100000, hospitalizations per something and percentage of COVID patients in intensive care (or percentage of total intensive care capacity, dunno). Only nobody can figure out what measures apply to the three and a half warning stages. Most places have a 3G policy (German for vaccinated, recovered or tested), but I figure it only takes a single lawsuit to get stores and services to drop that to 2G (vaxxed or survived).

The government is tightening the screws on the unvaxxed, by no longer substituting the wages of people who could have avoided a quarantine if they were vaccinated and making them pay for their PCR tests. And people are feeling the pressure, too: This week we had our first anti-masker murder a store clerk to make a point.

The fourth wave is leveling off at relatively low numbers, but the medicos say they'll go up again as the weather gets colder and people stay indoors more. It's not like we've got enough vaccinations done. I've got my influenza shot scheduled and I'm lining up my mRNA booster to prop up my June J&J.

I'm not even addressing the fact that some of the anti-vax protesters are wearing Yellow Badges, likening their "unvaccinated status" to that of Jewish people during nazi occupation... I mean, really, fuck those people. One would almost wish they'd all get infected.

Last edited:
While I might have some sympathy for their family and friends, at this point I pretty much have zero sympathy for any adult anti-vaxxers who die or are hospitalized because of Covid. If acknowledging that makes me a bad person, so be it.

I'm not even addressing the fact that some of the anti-vax protesters are wearing Yellow Badges, likening their "unvaccinated status" to that of Jewish people during nazi occupation... I mean, really, fuck those people. One would almost wish they'd all get infected.
This is not even something you could make up, right? It's beyond.... I dunno, beyond something. :angry:

This is not even something you could make up, right? It's beyond.... I dunno, beyond something. :angry:
The last few years I've frequently found myself commenting that I don't envy fiction authors. Trying to come up with interesting, crazy, mind boggling or dystopian story lines has gotten really fucking hard when reality has turned to fiction and basically said, "hold my beer". Reality has taken it to eleven.

1632762672440.png

I'm starting to understand why old people believe everything they see on Facebook. Time and again I've said "nah, that's too stupid to be true", only to find out it's entirely true. The world is losing its sense of irony, but it's happening faster for some people than for others.

I'm starting to understand why old people believe everything they see on Facebook. Time and again I've said "nah, that's too stupid to be true", only to find out it's entirely true. The world is losing its sense of irony, but it's happening faster for some people than for others.
One of the headlines in my news feed is the lead EU negotiator for BREXIT is running for president of France as a eurosceptic. Talk about irony. I don't want to get into the politics of it but man I couldn't make up that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back