The upside to coronovirus!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We maintain a healthy concern however Mr. and Mrs. Filz are boosted while the two girls had their first dose a week ago and get their 2nd dose the first week in January.

Here in Portland (OR) masking is still pretty much the norm when out and about. We have had unmasked visits with a couple friends but very small groups and very safe folks.

After my booster shot, I now have a renewed covid event-pass. On my previous certificates I didn't notice the disclaimer at the bottom that says:

"This covid event-pass does not automatically grant access to all events. You still need to buy a valid entry ticket. " :grin::grin::grin:

After my booster shot, I now have a renewed covid event-pass. On my previous certificates I didn't notice the disclaimer at the bottom that says:

"This covid event-pass does not automatically grant access to all events. You still need to buy a valid entry ticket. " :grin::grin::grin:
Please tell us it also adds "...or if you gain entry by another method, we've got nothing to do with it!", please:thumbsup:!

Whelp, along with a record 1200 new cases yesterday, Spokane's ICU's are at 100% capacity and the hospitals are at 97% capacity. The worst part is that the employees at the local hospitals never got a break between Delta and Omicron. They're also running on very short staff due to Omicron infections exasperating an already bad staff shortage.
It feels like the early days all over again.

Whelp, along with a record 1200 new cases yesterday, Spokane's ICU's are at 100% capacity and the hospitals are at 97% capacity. The worst part is that the employees at the local hospitals never got a break between Delta and Omicron. They're also running on very short staff due to Omicron infections exasperating an already bad staff shortage.
It feels like the early days all over again.

It's kind like that here, too. The local hospital is asking for people in non-patient positions to volunteer to help with patients. They are out of doses of antibody treatment, have heavily restricted visitors, and stopped elective surgeries.

Meanwhile, most of the population is pretending everything is normal. Schools and restaurants are open normally. In some parts of town, half the people wear masks. In other parts, no one does.

It's kind like that here, too. The local hospital is asking for people in non-patient positions to volunteer to help with patients. They are out of doses of antibody treatment, have heavily restricted visitors, and stopped elective surgeries.

Meanwhile, most of the population is pretending everything is normal. Schools and restaurants are open normally. In some parts of town, half the people wear masks. In other parts, no one does.
Your first paragraph explains the second one, I'm afraid:shade:.

I'm expecting something similar here within a week or so:thumbsup:.

While infections are still on the rise, hospitalizations seem to have stabilized somewhat and ICs have some room again. Schools and stores are open again. Restaurants, bars, museums, cinemas and theatres remain closed. People are adviced to get the booster shot and wear masks in crowded places, masks are obligatory inside public buildings, public transport and stores.

Our school district has had to cancel school on Tuesday this week, and several following Monday's to alleviate staffing shortages caused by Omicron outbreaks.
And they say we don't need to go back into lockdown.
People still aren't wearing masks.

Our school district has had to cancel school on Tuesday this week, and several following Monday's to alleviate staffing shortages caused by Omicron outbreaks.
And they say we don't need to go back into lockdown.
People still aren't wearing masks.
We hit Stage 5 in our county recently and nobody was wearing a mask in the burrito place I got dinner at except me and the staff.

It was charming.

We hit Stage 5 in our county recently and nobody was wearing a mask in the burrito place I got dinner at except me and the staff.

It was charming.
I'm not surprised. Our wilful collective stupid in this country is slowly destroying us. ((sigh)) Mentally I've just given up and do my own thing and hope to survive the stupidity.

Legitimate upside to Covid:

I had a Jury Summons for Jan 10th. I completely forgot about it. Like, My brain just, glossed over it and forgot I had gotten it until today.

I just looked up and the juries for Jan 7th-Jan 21st were cancelled in my county due to covid spikes. So I'm not going to be held in contempt, wooo.

Legitimate upside to Covid:

I had a Jury Summons for Jan 10th. I completely forgot about it. Like, My brain just, glossed over it and forgot I had gotten it until today.

I just looked up and the juries for Jan 7th-Jan 21st were cancelled in my county due to covid spikes. So I'm not going to be held in contempt, wooo.
I got a summons in Feb of 2020. I asked to push it out 12 months figuring it all he fine by then. They forgot and asked me in December for a February trial. Pushed it out another 12 but that's all I can do.

Going back to the original premise of the thread, I really have had some good things come out of the pandemic era. Firstly, I became comfortable using video-calling technology, which I'd never particularly bothered with before. That in itself is pretty neutral, IMO, but it allowed for the following good things:

• My Savage Worlds group was able to transition to online play, rather than quitting or having a very extended delay.
  • My Savage Worlds group was finally able to commit to a consistent day & time, so we now play far more regularly than we used to.
  • The D&D 5e group I play with was also able to transition to online play.
  • One of the players in that group decided to run a separate campaign of Curse of Strahd, and I got to play in that.
  • So, at peak shutdown, I was involved in three weekly RPGs, as well as a weekly Jackbox game. I had more consistent social engagements while "social distancing" than I did when the world was open!
  • My D&D 5e DM/Savage Worlds player Beatrix & her boyfriend/the CoS DM Red Ted were able to buy a farm in rural Pennsylvania and move away from Chicago, since B's job went from partly WFH to 100% WFH. Which sucks for me, because I loved having two of my best friends living a few blocks away, but it's great for them, because it's something they really wanted & had been working towards for years.
  • Although Beatrix & Red Ted have moved away, the D&D campaign continues via online play.
  • Now that the rest of the Savage Worlds group is able to meet in person again, we are still able to have Beatrix join us by setting up my laptop at the place where she used to sit & video calling.

Also, as mentioned in the "Real Life & What's Happening" thread, other than a one-day sore throat and the occasional hangover, I have not been sick in two years.

Edit: Also also, everything being closed broke my habit of spending too much time and money hanging out in bars. More money for games!

Last week a classmate had to quarantine for 5 days due to having a fever. She came back today with a nasty cough. I went to my instructor after class expressing my concerns. My instructor informed me that several people in the bakery have been quarantining the past couple of weeks due to suspected covid cases. I took a test when I got home and it came back positive.
I don't have any symptoms, I'm just very angry that the school failed to inform me that I was being exposed, as I have now potentially exposed my D&D group, their families and my Parents. Additionally I was supposed to be starting a new job today.

Last week a classmate had to quarantine for 5 days due to having a fever. She came back today with a nasty cough. I went to my instructor after class expressing my concerns. My instructor informed me that several people in the bakery have been quarantining the past couple of weeks due to suspected covid cases. I took a test when I got home and it came back positive.
I don't have any symptoms, I'm just very angry that the school failed to inform me that I was being exposed, as I have now potentially exposed my D&D group, their families and my Parents. Additionally I was supposed to be starting a new job today.
The whole quarantine without test to return is messed up.

The whole quarantine without test to return is messed up.
It's absolute total bullshit. The local school district requires it, why the fuck shouldn't the community college?! No real effort at contact tracing, there are several different classes in the same room at the same time, but if someone in one class gets sick, they don't tell us because we aren't in the "Same class", despite the fact that we are in close proximity.

A friend of mine works at a local hospital delivering babies, she got covid but still has to go into work because there isn't enough staff for sick ones to quarantine. Apparently they aren't even allowed to get tested for covid because that would send them in to quarantine.
This nightmare never ends.
It will never end.

My wife sent me a text saying people 50+ are going to be approved for a booster in the next couple weeks. I thought "OK. So old people can get a booster. Who cares?" followed by "Crap. I'm the old people." I mean we all feel like we're pretty much late 20's early 30's people (minus the longer recovery time and rando pains occasionally) right? I have to say for someone who didn't really plan to be over 35 this is all weird.

All corona measures have now been lifted. People aged 60-69 can get a second booster shot.

We're still being lazy about getting our first booster.

My wife sent me a text saying people 50+ are going to be approved for a booster in the next couple weeks. I thought "OK. So old people can get a booster. Who cares?" followed by "Crap. I'm the old people." I mean we all feel like we're pretty much late 20's early 30's people (minus the longer recovery time and rando pains occasionally) right? I have to say for someone who didn't really plan to be over 35 this is all weird.

Yep, in my mind, I'm still about 28, haha. Life occasionally steps up, smacks me in the face, and yells, "You're 44, damnit!"

Yep, in my mind, I'm still about 28, haha. Life occasionally steps up, smacks me in the face, and yells, "You're 44, damnit!"
I started growing the beard about 17 years ago to remind me that I wasn't young anymore. That way when I look in the mirror or the beard gets caught in things like my motorcycle helmet strap I recall that I can't continue to do crazy shit anymore.

On the 'not 18 anymore' front, I went to see a Depeche Mode coverband followed by an 80s party (new wave, punk, a bit of 80s pop). As it was the night we switched to daylight saving, Sunday and so far today have been quite unproductive.
But I managed to stay on the dancefloor until our designated driver wanted to go home, so yay!

Edit: on topic... no more covid checks nor masks at these events!
Edit 2; forgot to mention, I'm 57...

Last edited:
I originally did a laugh emoji to your post, until I realised "Hey crud - I'll be 50 at the end of this year...!"
So that was when the Weird crept over me, thanks for the reminder heh heh :grin:

Family finally got tagged. Oldest got it from the kid who sits across from him in school. He doesn't seem to have any symptoms. Kinda relieved at this point because it's going to remove some anxiety from my wife. Messed up my date night plans for tonight though. :thumbsdown:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back