The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have started to play Dark Souls remastered and Holy Gwyn this game is hard, far harder than Dark Souls 3 (which I have finished, DLCs included) ! I am now enjoying the new DLC of Destiny 2, which is a game far more easier than Dark Souls ...

I find it best to start with magic as it lets you take out enemies at a distance. Then trick the Black Knight in Undead Burg off a cliff, farm using the Wyvern on the bridge, upgrade your strength and the Black Knight's sword. You'll be able to mow through most enemies and most of the early bosses then.

As for Sekiro: I finally killed the General atop Ashina Castle and the Great Serpent, making good progess. At the Mibu Village windmill.

Last edited:
I find it best to start with magic as it lets you take out enemies at a distance. Then trick the Black Knight in Undead Burg off a cliff, farm using the Wyvern on the bridge, upgrade your strength and the Black Knight's sword. You'll be able to mow through most enemies and most of the early bosses then.

As for Sekiro: I finally killed the General atop Ashina Castle and the Great Serpent, making good progess. At the Mibu Village windmill.

Thanks for the kind advice but I have already made the "mistake" of creating a Knight and get my ass hand over to me by pretty much every enemy in the game, especially the stupid butterfly which I have defeated at great cost with the summon, which I would have used if I have notificed it before ...

But the level design of Dark Souls is really something !

I know I shouldn't, but after watching this last night, I pre-ordered the Age of Wonders: Planetfall premier edition. I mean, riding dinosaurs that shoot lasers?!

Thanks for the kind advice but I have already made the "mistake" of creating a Knight and get my ass hand over to me by pretty much every enemy in the game, especially the stupid butterfly which I have defeated at great cost with the summon, which I would have used if I have notificed it before ...

But the level design of Dark Souls is really something !

When you get to Smough and his buddy use a summons. I use to go there and laydown my white sign all the time to trash invaders and help with the bosses as it was where I first quit the game, only came back to finish months later.

Funny story, I met my wife while playing TF2.

I have been on disability for the past few months so I'm playing more games than usual. Lately it has been Sundered, Hollow Knight, Dungeon of the Endless, and Solar Settlers. I have been on a metroidvania kick because somehow I got it in my head that therein lays the recipe for a good megadungeon.

I recently picked up Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG for under $2. I really want to like this game but even with the fan patch it is a brutal grind. :blah:

Edited for spelling.

Funny story, I met my wife while playing TF2.

I have been on disability for the past few months so I'm playing more games than usual. Lately it has been Sundered, Hollow Knight, Dungeon of the Endless, and Solar Settlers. I have been on a metroidvania kick because somehow I got it in my head that therein lays the recipe for a good megadungeon.

I recently picked up Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG for under $2. I really want to like this game but even with the fan patch it is a brutal grind. :blah:

Edited for spelling.
Love Hollow Knight and Dungeon of the Endless. How are Sundered and Solar Settlers?

Also, for that dungeon crawling feel, I recommend Dark Souls 1. Specially the Depths, Blightown and Tomb of Giants maps.

Last edited:
my wife just finished the last Doom game. She's now playing Lapis Labyrinth which looks fun.

my wife just finished the last Doom game. She's now playing Lapis Labyrinth which looks fun.
It's a good time, if pretty shallow and repetitive.

I'm pretty excited about Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night, I'm getting the Switch version so I have to wait until tomorrow, but I've really liked every other Igavania so this was a must-buy.

Shopping for a new gaming rig. (A desktop PC for the wife + a laptop for me.)

Thinking i7 core, 16Gb RAM and a GTX 1050 card. Welcome recommendations.

That should be sufficient to play anything with respectable performance.

I'm playing through Borderlands 2 again with my oldest son. We played through it a few years ago, and we are playing through again to get ready for BL3 coming out later this year.

Yeah, we're starting a whole new playthrough so going to hit it last :B (or well, last for normal difficulty.)

3rik 3rik I'm envious of you bro. Having a wife that plays games like that is my dream. My wife calls videogames and RPGs "idiot things played by idiot people" (in her own words). :dead:
I'm not that much of a videogamer myself, though. I mostly look at them while she plays them. She's fine with me playing both RPGs and the occasional videogame, though. She even joined one of the groups I play RPGs with.

My wife shares a lot of my hobbies. Video games, board gaming, tabletop rpgs. We split on some things though, I'm a huge fan of television (man it is truly the golden age of TV) and sports, she likes gardening and crochet.

We both enjoy the occasional boardgame as well, though I am rather picky about those.

I just finished The Dwarves. It was pretty thoroughly... whelming. Story was okay, gameplay was okay, setting and characters were okay, all while being littered with minor, non-deal-breaking flaws and without any particular strokes of brilliance.

Now I'm playing Plague Tale: Innocense. This one appeals to me more, though it may be that it just had a bigger budget. :tongue: Gritty historical horror isn't exactly over-represented in video games, and I like stealth and puzzle games. I kind of feel like there's a lot of following instructions perfectly and being penalised for trying to be the least bit creative or proactive, though.

I'm playing through Borderlands 2 again with my oldest son. We played through it a few years ago, and we are playing through again to get ready for BL3 coming out later this year.
Don't forget to grab the free final expansion!

YES! I am more psyched with BL3 and WoW Classic than I’ve been with anything in tabletop gaming for some time now. (Why’d you think I’m shopping for a new rig?)
That should be sufficient to play anything with respectable performance.
Thanks! Our current machines lasted us 7-8 years and I hope this one holds at least as long. I usually buy Dell but I’ll look around.

spend the extra money and get the 1060. You'll get *much* better performance and longer life if you intend on doing any of the latest games, the 1050 will have to work its ass off to compete with a 1060.

If you're really on a budget - at bare bones get the 1050ti. I always recommend the GTX1060 for rock solid entry-level top-end game performance.

Depends on how into PC gaming you are of course.

Finally got something out of that Bloodstained kickstarter I joined several years ago.
Man, Iga really nailed this one.

I picked up Bloodstained for my PS4. I was playing late last evening and enjoying myself quite a bit.

But as an illustration of just how much I suck at platformers and Castlevania games, the first boss kicked my ass about 6 times before I decided to just call it a night.

Also been playing Phantasy Star IV. Having an OK time, but not sure if I want to stick with it for now.

I still do progression raiding in WoW on Sundays. (Casual "hardcore* raiding guild). Vermintide II, Mordhau.

The next year I'm eyeballing: Cyberpunk2077, Outer Worlds, Rebel Galaxy. Vermintide II's Winds of Chaos expansion.

I still do progression raiding in WoW on Sundays. (Casual "hardcore* raiding guild). Vermintide II, Mordhau.

The next year I'm eyeballing: Cyberpunk2077, Outer Worlds, Rebel Galaxy. Vermintide II's Winds of Chaos expansion.
I am a fan of Vermintide II! I never finished Vermintide so I went back after playing II and the non-combat stuff was rough (compared to II).

Incidentally, it inspired me to create a Dungeon World game set in the city of Ubersreik for players who were not familiar with Vermintide or WFRP. Just one skaven freaked them right out. . .we never got to the "tide" of vermin.

I finally got around to finishing episodes 2 and 3 of Life is Strange 2. It's pretty compelling stuff, but it's still looking to be my least favourite installment of the series so far. For one thing, the whole road trip nature of the plot means that most of the characters don't have time to get properly developed, so a lot of them end up pretty one-dimensional (though Episode 3 has been better about that than the first two, I'll admit). For another, even the ones that we stay with are frankly kind of boring. Max and Chloe were both interesting characters, but Sean is just sort of A Dude.

Of course, part of that may be that so much of the story is about brutal necessities, which means that he doesn't get to do much of the sort of self-indulgent self-expression that a regular suburban brat could, but honestly, I'm not too happy about that creative choice either. I signed up for adolescent angst and dysfunctional families with the occasional bit danger and violence. Dumpster-diving to keep from starving and trying to keep warm enough to avoid catching pneumonia is just a tiny bit more real than I wanted things to get. :tongue:

Also, I feel like the game is judging me for not triggering a sex scene, since that gets you chewed out by your love interest while apparently the branch where you say yes is all sorts of adorable. Look, guys, if you were expecting me to be all happy-go-lucky yay-free-love about it, maybe don't start every episode by intoning "YOUR ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES" at me? :tongue:

I need to go back and finish Life is Strange.

3rik 3rik I'm envious of you bro. Having a wife that plays games like that is my dream. My wife calls videogames and RPGs "idiot things played by idiot people" (in her own words). :dead:
Other side of the coin is I'm getting a little tired of grabbing my GF by the arm to stop her stepping into traffic with her head down over Pokemon Go.

(She would tell you that hasn't happened often enough to justify being tired of it. I think once is more than enough.)

Inspired by the last episode of Hi Score Girl we watched on Netflix, my wife fired up the old PS3 and started playing Darkstalkers Resurrection. Those characters are pretty fun.

Started Divinity Original Sin 2. Man I’m pissed that so many enemies can teleport. I mean, how can one strategize when the bad guys can just leap out of your terrain traps and positioning!? Fucking stupid.

I figure Ive got this one fight against a bunch of huge fat crocodiles. I set up on higher ground, focus my fire on one at a time... im hurting but steadily winning. THEN they teleport behind me. I die horribly. How are you supposed to strategize out if that?

And this has happened before in this game. I honestly hate this because I feel powerless. Makes me want to go back and play final fantasy tactics instead.

Otherwise a nice game but i don’t get people’s massive hard on for unforgiving difficulties and jerking off to RNG. “Ooh you think you’re so clever ? TELEPORT motherfucker! Hahaha put in more quarters you shit. Oh wait, we can’t do that anymore. Oh well your nostalgia tells you that you like this punishment haha eat shit!”

I've been playing For the King lately. It's a turn based RPG on a hex-based world that feels like a decent Ameritrash board game. The learning curve was a little steep at first and the RNG cruel but I am getting the hang of it and having fun.

Otherwise a nice game but i don’t get people’s massive hard on for unforgiving difficulties and jerking off to RNG.
Funny you mention this. For myself, a difficult game with capricious RNG can be both engaging and rewarding if it provides 3 things. I am not saying that I automatically like any game that has all three of these traits of course.
  • Fun gameplay for it's own sake.
  • Player agency has to be able to mitigate cruel RNG (even though it might take a while to figure out).
  • Some kind of progression so a setback or loss doesn't feel like you just wasted hours of your time for nothing.
For the King satisfies all of these requirements. Oddly enough, the board game Eldritch Horror is also good example of these principles in action. Even when we lose there's a "payoff" in fun anecdotes and experiences. Although the RNG constantly screws the players, we can usually trace a loss back to "here's where we screwed up". There's no progression per se but if investigator dies, all their gear and spells can be retrieved by another character so it's not like hours of gameplay were just flushed down the toilet (and the player of the dead character can jump right back in with a new character).

Makes me want to go back and play final fantasy tactics instead.
FF Tactics was a great game. My only complaint is that it was too short.

Ori and the Blind Forest is $10 during the Steam Summer Sale. If anyone here has any comments to offer about the game I'd like to hear 'em.

Last edited:
Finished Thimbleweed Park. Very funny and very obviously in the style of Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island. Puzzles are quite good, especially some of the multi-character ones. My only problem was the ending.
Felt it was a bit too fourth wall breaking. Now this did match the game's humour, so it's definitely something I can see others enjoying. However I would have preferred an ending more within the game's world like the above two Lucas Arts games. Jokey and the occasional nod to the camera, but still an in world resolution

Last edited:
Been playing Total War: Three Kingdoms. Like when playing any new strategy game for the first time, it's going about as well as you might expect:

I just picked up Crawl earlier tonight on Steam, it's an interesting local multiplayer dungeon crawl that I highly recommend if you like games like Gauntlet or Champions of Norrath. One player plays the hero while the others are the monsters. Whoever slays the hero is reborn as a hero themselves; it's a race to level 10 and killing the dungeon boss with your hero. I played with the wife on PC (she won); it's a lot of fun but we both agreed it would be even more fun with 4 players on a console system. The solo experience is decent enough but it really shines in multiplayer. If you are looking for a couch console game you really couldn't go wrong, it's like $15 on PS4.

Apparently people play online using something called Parsec but I don't know anything about that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back