The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm playing a lot of SNES and Genesis lately. At the moment I've retired my Genesis/SegaCD/32X and am using emulation for that system set, while I'm still using original hardware for the SNES (with a flashcart). I get better video out of my SNES on my TV than I do from my Genesis. Plus, it's just easier to get SegaCD games to run in emulation.

One game that I've always known about but never given a chance was The Haunting: Starring Polterguy for the Genesis. In the past I sort of noted this game, but never gave it a chance. It just wasn't the kind of thing I was interested in back in the day and even in the emulation/flashcart era, I never looked back into it. Well, I had been seeing it mentioned in YouTube videos a bit, and decided to download the rom to check it out. Surprisingly, it's pretty cool. Most of the entertainment comes from watching the animations of the various scares you perform against the family in the game. I'm not sure if I would have felt it was worth $50 back in the day, but it's worth free today. I'd say it definitely would have been worth a rental. So, Haunting was a cool discovery.

A game I rediscovered was Outrun 2019 on the Genesis. I think I rented it back in the day, played it for a weekend, liked it, and then just never saw it anywhere to buy for an affordable amount. I might have an actual cart that I picked up from a couple of bucks when stores were selling used rental games, but I never sank any real time into it. Well, recently I've played it quite a bit. I like how the tracks are open ended instead of closed circuits. I also like how there are multiple tracks instead of the standard Outrun "tree" route. The mechanics of the game are pretty cool, as they don't have "drifting" which all other racing games after a certain point seem obsessed with. I like some of the graphical gimmicks such as tunnels, overpasses, and transparent roads. It wasn't exactly a cutting edge game back when it was released, but as a 16 bit racer, time has been kind to it. It's short, but it has some good replay value due to the length of the courses and the alternate routes.

A SNES game I never gave a chance was Batman Returns. I have never been a Batman fan. In fact, the rabid fandom and insistence of that rabid fandom that Batman is the best ever and the movies related to the character are the best ever really turns me off and makes me hate the entire franchise. Plus, I've seen the Burton movies and never found them particularly interesting as stories and films. They have an interesting look to them, but that's about it. So, as you might imagine, I never gave the Batman Returns game a look because of all those factors but also because it was a single player only brawler. Why make a brawler and not make it two player co-op? Well, that question still stands, but Batman Returns is a single player brawler that manages to be a lot of fun. It looks fantastic. It plays fantastic. And it has enough variety that it doesn't get stale. It mixes up the brawler gameplay with some platforming gameplay. Normally that's not my taste, but it breaks up the monotony of beating opponent after opponent. The stages each have their own feel. It's just a good game. I think my only complaint is the opponents during the brawler sections are a bit samey and needed more variety, but they look good and it's fun to beat the crap out of them. There are just enough brawling mechanics to make things fun instead of endless button mashing. I'm sold on this game. It has entered my regular play list, and I'll probably hunt down a real cart.

On the other end of the spectrum there's Alien Vs Predator for the SNES. This is a brawler, but not based on the Capcom arcade game of the similar name and theme. AvP on the SNES is single player. Once again, WHY ONLY SINGLE PLAYER? You play a Predator and beat up a fuckton of Aliens. The graphics are nice. They're not as good as Batman, but the game does look nice. There are story scenes between levels which look really good. The Predator looks a bit squat and lame, but the Aliens look great with tons of detail. The bosses all look cool, although the final boss is a bit small and squat for a climactic alien queen, but they all have really good sprites. Your Predator can fight with punch and kick, pick up weapons such as the spear, the disc, and the invisibility cloak. The Predator can even fire his shoulder mounted laser cannon or use it as a screen clearing attack. The first couple of stages are cool, with pretty decent design, and it seems to be shaping up to be a solid brawler. Then on the third stage the designers got lazy and the stage design becomes a repeating pattern for what seems to be forever. You basically get on a ship and then you spend an eternity (two/three LONG levels) walking down a corridor. Every few steps, two Aliens with huge lifebars drop down and you have to fight them. It gets repetitive and monotonous and boring. Even when I got to the Alien queen, it was a bit disappointing because she seemed like any other boss. In fact, a couple of the earlier bosses had been more impressive. AvP turned out to be exactly the kind of brawler that critics of brawlers hold up as examples of the genre being only "walking left and mashing the button." That said, I had a bit of fun with AvP. The license elevated it a bit. I probably wouldn't play it if it were just a standard street brawler, but since I was killing Aliens, it was a guilty pleasure. If I had purchased it back in the day for full price, I probably would have liked it for a day or two but then felt regret about the purchase. If I had managed to snag it for a couple of bucks in a rental store liquidation, I probably would have been happy about it. I don't think it's worth the $30 price it seems to go for on ebay, but it's worth a free rom download, and would have been worth a rental.

Another guilty pleasure I discovered was Fighting Masters on the Genesis. I saw a video saying that it was an utter shit fighting game. It is. it is really bad. But it isn't without entertainment value. Where Fighting Masters excels is in characters. I don't think I've ever seen such a whacked out cast as exists in this game. There's a dragon man, a phoenix man, a horse man, a plant thing, and characters I don't even know what to describe them as. The game they feature in is effectively one of those VS modes that you used to see as bonus modes in scrolling brawlers, except in Fighting Masters, that's the entire game. You have an attack button and a jump button. There's no strategy, no combos, no nothing. There is only mashing. It makes Pit Fighter look technical. It is GLORIOUS SHIT, because it's perfectly playable. Two players can pick whacked out characters and make stupid jokes while frantically mashing jump and attack. My partner and I had great fun with this one just picking characters and making fucked up banter while playing. This game is not regular rotation material, but I think it's perfectly good to pop in and just goof off for a while. To be clear, this game would NOT have been worth it back in the day. But, I dare say it would have been worth a rental, or worth buying if it was something like $2.99. It is absolute shit, but it's entertaining shit.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been playing a lot of They are Billions lately. Kind of frustrating but also addictive.

Isator Levi

Reaction score
And now I'm done with NieR. All endings gotten, all archives, and all but one sidequest.

Given me a lot to think about.

That boss fight against the Emil heads is something that both makes me super want to play Replicant to get the context, and really feel as though I could do with a grace period in between them.

The Butcher

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally acquired the Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle on the latest Steam sale.

Imagine being 13 again and having the arcade all for yourself, and infinite quarters. (Tokens, here in Brazil, but you get the idea.)

Sweet, sweet nostalgia. A balm for my lately embattled heart.

The Butcher

Legendary Member
Reaction score
King of Dragons is probably my favorite on that one. What's yours?
King of Dragons is hors concours to me because I started playing it at about the same time D&D entered my life… perfect storm.

I’m playing them one by one and started with Armored Warriors which was crazy insane brilliant genre-loyal Gundam-in-all-but-name fun. And mixing and matching melee, ranged and mobility pickups is just brilliant.

Dammit Viktor

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying Defense Grid: the Awakening. Had a very slow and painful start with it until I realized that my towers were blocking LOE from my other towers. Common sense, but I think this is the first time I've actually seen it.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been playing Dead Space because my son is a huge fan of sci-fi horror but can't play them himself cause he freaks out, and he wanted to watch me play it.

I had never actually played it but had watched my brother play it at my house like, 7 years ago? So I only remember the vague details of it. Some of the design stuff in the game is excellent. The lack of HUD (everything is communicated on Isaac's suit, or on the weapons) is cool. The sound and visual design is also stellar.

Isator Levi

Reaction score
With Xenoblade Chronicles 3 coming out in September and looking super exciting, going back and finishing the first game (which I've gotten about halfway through over a couple of years) is going to be shooting up my list of priorities.

Pokémon Legends Arceus right now, Elden Ring when that comes out, then this takes over from NieR Replicant.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an Arcade 1Up Atari Legacy Tempest style cabinet.

The ones they offer that most appeal to me are the Tempest style Atari cabinet, the Mortal Kombat II style Midway Legacy cabinet, and then the Golden Axe, TMNT, Atari Star Wars, and Marvel cabinets. But those latter three only really appeal because of the games. The Tempest and Mortal Kombat cabinets appeal to me because of their furniture aesthetics.

Also, the Atari Tempest cabinet is all about those Atari games that used specialized controls (trackball and spinner). I can play Joust and Defender with a control pad and get the same experience. Tempest played with a real spinner is an entirely different beast. Other than Atari Star Wars, none of the other games I'm interested in really have that true unique controller experience.

The Atari Tempest cabinet seems to be well regarded. The spinner for Tempest seems to be good, but not excellent. The trackball seems to be regarded as average. It seems owners of the Mortal Kombat II Midway Legacy cabinet have some form factor and construction issues with it.

I'm just trying to weigh if it's really worth the asking price for me. Is arcade nostalgia worth paying that much for a piece of display furniture?

Anyone have one of these? Are you happy with it?

Nobby-W

Pretty sure I'm not Larry Ellison
Reaction score

The ones they offer that most appeal to me are the Tempest style Atari cabinet, the Mortal Kombat II style Midway Legacy cabinet, and then the Golden Axe, TMNT, Atari Star Wars, and Marvel cabinets. But those latter three only really appeal because of the games. The Tempest and Mortal Kombat cabinets appeal to me because of their furniture aesthetics.

Also, the Atari Tempest cabinet is all about those Atari games that used specialized controls (trackball and spinner). I can play Joust and Defender with a control pad and get the same experience. Tempest played with a real spinner is an entirely different beast. Other than Atari Star Wars, none of the other games I'm interested in really have that true unique controller experience.

The Atari Tempest cabinet seems to be well regarded. The spinner for Tempest seems to be good, but not excellent. The trackball seems to be regarded as average. It seems owners of the Mortal Kombat II Midway Legacy cabinet have some form factor and construction issues with it.

I'm just trying to weigh if it's really worth the asking price for me. Is arcade nostalgia worth paying that much for a piece of display furniture?

I feel that if it had just one game it would be a five minute wonder. You can get retro arcade games and tables with a PC running MAME and firmware images for dozens of games. One of those might be worth getting.

zanshin

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just down the pre-download for Warhammer Total War 3.

I predict that I am going to lose alot of sleep and will have less time for other leisure pursuits starting from Thursday evening :smile:

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda interested in picking up Relayer for the PS4. It's a turn based, grid based, mecha themed tactical RPG. Basically, it's right up my alley.

I can't tell much about the game, though. From what I've seen of gameplay, it does seem fairly basic. That's not a negative to me, as I tend to enjoy the simpler ones without tons of combo attacks and meters. Still, it does lead me to feeling like the only thing this game is offering is graphics. It's probably the most extravagant visually I've seen a SRPG get compared to the graphical norm.

I still haven't gotten back to SRW30. Gundam Cross Rays burnt me out on mechs after about 200 hours of play (and I only completed a bit over half the story paths). I had picked up Empire of Angels IV during a Steam sale, but I really don't like how it doesn't support a controller. So, I'll be putting off playing that one until I can pick it up on sale on the PS4.

Played a bit of Plague Road, which has been sitting on my PS4 hard drive for years now. I kinda like it. It kinda feels like a late 80s computer game, but with some modern control sensibilities. Actually, it feels like a HD remaster of a Sega Saturn remaster of some hypothetical 80s game. The art style is near unique.

Endless Flight

SWO!
Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah, I have the Pac-Man 1Up cabinet. Love it. Really good sound too.

3D391993-2B37-4A34-AB9B-881DBAEB067B.jpeg

Isator Levi

Reaction score
Actually hooked my Wii to my laptop and fired it up for the first time since mid-2020 to resume Xenoblade Chronicles a bit. In less than an hour managed to get to something which will do a really good job of hooking me back in.

Ralph Dula

Fighter of Fungi, Mortal Foe of 5E, Possibly a Cat
Reaction score
After a few failed attempts I got Shadowrun: Hong Kong to download. It’s the first computer game I played since finishing Wasteland 2 last year.

I really liked it at first. I was a bit shocked and upset that you can’t loot fallen foes (or allies, later); I feel like killing things and taking their stuff is an integral part of Shadowrun, and I’d also designed my character with multiple combat skills in anticipation of looting.

I liked the option to avoid the second combat, but as I type this I’ve been unable to progress past the third combat of the game. There’s an off-screen sniper you’re to stay behind cover to avoid, yet they were able to snipe a character behind cover, causing a game over. I have a long-standing hatred of games with “One character in a group down equals auto-fail,” and a hatred of snipers since I played a game where I could never get the off-screen sniper to fire in a game that required it for you to win a battle.

I’m also having issues with activating grenades and med items, and I’m hoping once i figure the latter out things will go better.

zanshin

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just down the pre-download for Warhammer Total War 3.

I predict that I am going to lose alot of sleep and will have less time for other leisure pursuits starting from Thursday evening :smile:
And so it has proved...

Played through one campaign as Cathay; thought I was going to struggle because I lost out on the first soul grab, but none of the NPC races beat me to 4. It's an interesting version of the game , because land grab is not majorly important as long as you have the income to support a really good army for the hell missions. I think I will really enjoy it once we have 'Immortal Empires' - the merge with 1 & 2. I actually hope that the option to visit the hells is retained for that, but in order to grab goodies rather than to win thegame.

Trying now as Daemons of Chaos - immense fun so far , your avatar is literally a monster.

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
So this arrived for my wife. It's huge. She took next week off from work so she can play continuously.

305e72df6eb04b3e442c57f2b7288ebe.jpg

Isator Levi

Reaction score
I unfortunately am still waiting to get a copy of Elden Ring. Apparently there are enough people out here in the sticks who'd want to play it.

Never mind that, going by the usual trend for FromSoft games, there's about a 50-50 chance they'll bounce off of it after the first hour.

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
The Butcher The Butcher chuckdee chuckdee She seems to be quite enjoying it so far. She's also a major fan of other games in the soulsborne genre, so there's that.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I'm playing Elden Ring right now, the open world aspect of it is really different for a Soulsborne game but I'm enjoying it. I'm very familiar with all the previous games though so the learning curve is not too steep for me.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I'm playing Elden Ring right now, the open world aspect of it is really different for a Soulsborne game but I'm enjoying it. I'm very familiar with all the previous games though so the learning curve is not too steep for me.
I would appreciate a quick review. We are deep into Conan Exiles right now but I am keeping an eye out for our next big thing.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Reaction score
I'm waiting for From Soft to get their shit together and patch the game to a runnable state on PC.

In the meantime, I'm more than busy enough with TW: Warhammer 3 (playing the chubby bois factions, cause of course I do) and Cyberpunk with the new patch (which to me seems to work pretty much perfectly).

Imaginos

I am the one you warned me of
Reaction score
Finished Returnal (didn’t bother to get secret ending). Now started Horizon Forbidden West. Enjoyed what I played last night.

Isator Levi

Reaction score
Elden Ring; a game that reminds me that sometimes the difference between whether or not a boss repeatedly crushes your unupgraded self or goes down in two attempts is having a slightly longer weapon.

Also gives me that same feeling as in Breath of the Wild of seeing cool things in the distance and then when I get there seeing even more until I'm far away from where I started, except where I might run into a gang of skeleton warriors that pick themselves back up unless you crush their remains or a dragon might just drop down on us.

Don't think I'm going to have it in me to kill any innocent tortoises, though.

Isator Levi

Reaction score
For a bit more of a serious talk on Elden Ring, one thing that really stands out is that I feel it captures a sense of exploration and discovery I got in the original game in a way that none of the sequels or cousin games ever quite did (even if I adore them on their own merits). Not in quite the same way, although I think an honest assessment is that Dark Souls created that feeling with technically limited space by a bit of creative cheating in its whole bit of finding how different locations were linked together. But something like taking that first turn off of Firelink Shrine down through the cemetery and discovering the Catacombs that's in there and distilled down nicely, compared to games where even if there were some options between your paths there was still very much a sense of where they were pointed.

It's the difference between finding a place because you went looking around somewhere and stumbled upon the entrance and having a starting entrance with an understanding that it would eventually reach an end with one of your objectives, you know? And it takes that feeling and expands it dramatically, in every direction, to skylines painted with ruined towers and ornate castles and observatories, as well as whatever might be at the bottom of a cave you discovered in the side of a hill.

It's got most of the neat additions from Dark Souls III, but still with a few extra touches. There are the big obvious ones like fighting from horseback or being able to summon helpful spirits or options to modify your weapon skill, but even something as simple as getting a special counterattack that can be initiated when something smacks off your shield; it adds something else to your repertoire, and makes a strategy of turtling a bit more engaging, which I think works well with points people have made in the past about relying on the shield too much.

Oh also, apparently Poise is worth a damn again, which is nice.

Another thing I'm getting that I haven't felt quite so much since Dark Souls? Even this far in enemy design is varied, and a lot of it gets fucking weird. I won't even describe some of these things, I think they're best seen firsthand. I'm just glad to be getting even more things than variations on guys with swords. They help give the world its own sense of character as well.

Oh, the map looks super pretty. It's all detailed and colourful in a way that I think a lot of roleplayers will find familiar. It's another thing like Breath of the Wild in that it doesn't automatically display things to go to, rather you've got to figure out what seems important based on the features and leave your own markers. It even goes one better than that in how you don't get main quest objective markers, just arrows pointing in the general direction.

And I've got to say, crafting fits remarkably well with the familiar standard of consumables. It's like, you've always had your fire bombs and things, and now you get to cobble them together yourself from the stuff that you gather up like plants and animals bones and stuff. I particularly like the idea of killing birds in order to get fletching for arrows.

And I think they came up with a good way to reconcile the usual standard of limited healing charges from the checkpoints and being more wide roaming, namely by making the usual process of occasionally getting a charge back more specific and reliable; if there is a group of enemies, killing all of them gets you some of it back. You get to extend your roaming range without needing to pull back to the bonfire equivalent (which is trivial now), but it comes with certain risk.

It might not be for everybody, but I think that for people who like From Software games and like open world stuff there's a lot to recommend it here.

One little joke I have for myself is that the capacity to encounter monsters with boss qualities out in the field feels like it really captures the experience of being King Arthur journeying around, encountering the rabbit at the mouth of the cave, and running away when it turns out to be dynamite; see if you can't regroup with bows or the Holy Hand Grenade. Don't worry if you should head further in and discover an even greater beast; if escape should seem hopeless, suddenly the writer will suffer a fatal heart attack. You'll never get Winds of Winter out of it, but at least you won't get eaten.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I tried the demo of Relayer last night. I'm not all the way through the demo. In the span of about 3 hours, I got to play 3 battles. No, it's not that the battles were long or involved. It was the cutscenes.

Relayer seems to skew hard towards the visual novel spectrum. That's not new to me. I played and loved Tears to Tiara II. I really got into that game's two hour long story bits. But Relayer was not clicking with me like Tears to Tiara II was.

Relayer has a premise I found somewhat interesting. It very much seems like a Mekton campaign. It's not much of a spoiler to say that the main character has a troubled past and her sister she presumed dead has been revealed to be working for the alien enemy. It's like Lifepath given form.

Everything is voice acted in english, and no one so far is doing a zany anime voice. But... maybe they should? The actors seem bored. They don't seem like they're delivering the lines with any connection or understanding of what they're saying. Ever hear of Chaos Wars? It's a PS2 tactical RPG which is somewhat legendary because the publisher just randomly got people from the office together to read the script and recorded that as the voice track. Relayer's voice acting in the demo is nowhere near that bad, but it definitely has some of that ambiance. Combine that with the modern JRPG thing of just having character pictures floating in frame, and everything about the dialogue seems disconnected. They're just floating somewhere, completely separate and isolated from other characters and the story itself.

As for the battle mechanics... They exist. There's not much to say about them. The first three missions don't really provide anything to play with. The first mission only provides the player with one mech. The second mission only provides two mechs. The third mission starts with two mechs and then adds two more at a later turn. There aren't any interesting tactical mechanics or even any special abilities to engage with in the first few battles. It's just move and attack. That's fine, as I do tend to enjoy simpler mechanics in these kinds of games rather than the cruft they often have stuck on them, but since it's an hour of cutscene between each battle, the lack of meat on the battles only emphasizes that there's nothing special here.

The graphics are fine. They're pretty for a game of this type. But they're very dark. I can see that it might get hard to differentiate things on the map. I'm already to the point where I'm ready to turn off battle animations.

I'm... not impressed. Relayer looks to be a tedious visual novel with some decent story ideas brought down by presentation combined with a thoroughly unimpressive tactical RPG. I'm very much reconsidering my original plan to pick it up, especially since I still have Gundam Cross Rays and Super Robot Wars 30 to get through, not to mention the rest of my non-mecha TacRPG backlog. The demo certainly hasn't helped this one out.

Isator Levi

Reaction score
Ah you're tough to be sure gigantic monster ursine with crushing hug attack, but you forgot the first law of the jungle: wolf pack beats bear.

thesheeep

Reaction score
Have been playing Total War Warhammer 3 for quite a while now (3 factions so far).

I mean, the game has a much better foundation than WH2 so I'm looking forward for the things to come.

But they really bungled the campaign.
A game that's all about empire management and expanding and they release it with a campaign that actively PUNISHES you for doing any of that and instead wants you to roam through some semi-randomized minimaps.
It is one of those valuable lessons that - very often - developers really do not understand their own game and/or audience.

Oh, well. Nurglings are cute, though, so that's a big bonus.

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Destiny 2, the Witch Queen expansion is pretty good, been grinding that out for the past week.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Only a few hours in, will have more to say once the weekend hits!

30 hours in and this game is great. I thought I was burned out on open world but this game does it right, no pointless coupon collecting, etc. and a deep strangeness and even sense of gonzo humour. Closer to Demon's Souls and Bloodborne than the other Souls games in that regard.

Of course it is tough as nails as well, I usually farm and get a bit OP but this game is so fresh it feels harder to do (just recently found the first good farming spot so I'm going to level up hard now) and due to the open world nature I definitely felt underpowered but nothing like stumbling into New Londor Ruins or the Catacombs in DS1. There's always somewhere else to go, cool secret places to discover and lots of co-op help to get over the humps.

Your spectral steed Torrent enables you to race through very dangerous areas where you're totally underpowered and scoop up cool loot and items to improve yourself with. The spirit companions you can use for combat are a lot of fun too.

Early days but this may make it into my top Souls games.

Last edited:

Isator Levi

Reaction score
30 hours in and this game is great. I thought I was burned out on open world but this game does it right, no pointless coupon collecting, etc. and a deep strangeness and even sense of gonzo humour.
Something I'm really liking is how where it is that various kinds of item are placed really gives a feel of delving into mysterious tombs or mines or places as yet unspecified and raiding them for their treasures, whether they be weapons or spells or even some of the upgrade or crafting materials, and they feel organic to where you find them and they're put on the other end of boss fights often enough to feel earned (or conversely to make killing the thing feel like it was worth a bit more than currency and bragging rights).

I've joked elsewhere that this game kind of ruins the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne from me. I know they're not the most popular parts of that game, but I have a fondness for them; however, I'll admit that a lot of that is coming out of what I bring to them rather than what they give to me, so to speak. Now I've got an example of something with the look and the feel of them, but where they're a real part of the world and a bit more well realised, and where the stuff like creepy tomb flowers or mummified body parts you might find within are valuable for what you can bring them out into the world to do with rather than because they'll let you unlock the next Dungeon.
nothing like stumbling into New Londor Ruins
I was so sure Blighttown was on the other end of that place...

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Something I'm really liking is how where it is that various kinds of item are placed really gives a feel of delving into mysterious tombs or mines or places as yet unspecified and raiding them for their treasures, whether they be weapons or spells or even some of the upgrade or crafting materials, and they feel organic to where you find them and they're put on the other end of boss fights often enough to feel earned (or conversely to make killing the thing feel like it was worth a bit more than currency and bragging rights).

I've joked elsewhere that this game kind of ruins the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne from me. I know they're not the most popular parts of that game, but I have a fondness for them; however, I'll admit that a lot of that is coming out of what I bring to them rather than what they give to me, so to speak. Now I've got an example of something with the look and the feel of them, but where they're a real part of the world and a bit more well realised, and where the stuff like creepy tomb flowers or mummified body parts you might find within are valuable for what you can bring them out into the world to do with rather than because they'll let you unlock the next Dungeon.

I was so sure Blighttown was on the other end of that place...

To this day I still just run through the ruins and pull the lever to lower the waters. Just not worth the trouble.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com