The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Start playing Dead on Vinland on Steam. It's a neat Viking settlers simulator. It's actually good but is grindy as fuck.

Also, back to Rainbow Six Siege on PS4. Game is good but I have the feeling it took a sharp turn to fantasy since the last time I've played it. I feel like it was more... realistic/slow paced before? Even the new operatives seem out from some sci-fi flick.

We're playing Strange Brigade again. Not the cooperative story mode, but the wave after wave of undead in Horde mode.

It gets intense. My favorite is the all skeleton wave.

We're playing Strange Brigade again. Not the cooperative story mode, but the wave after wave of undead in Horde mode.

View attachment 11106

It gets intense. My favorite is the all skeleton wave.
I'd appreciate a review. My wife and I have had this on our wishlist for a while (I love pulp, she loves co-op shooters) but the price turned us off.

I'd appreciate a review. My wife and I have had this on our wishlist for a while (I love pulp, she loves co-op shooters) but the price turned us off.
Sure, here are some xbox notes:
  • It is a 3rd person shooter, but I prefer 1st person
  • It has great undead animations. The shambling horde looks good.
  • It's challenging with some fast moving ghouls and these tank-like minotaur statues.
  • Co-op is great and easy. We started doing story mode, but our 3rd brother could never make it.
  • Both modes have cool puzzles that you don't find in shooter games. In story mode, the puzzles get pretty elaborate.
  • You can upgrade guns and special moves with these gem add ons. You can also craft and find plans in both modes.
  • I love the effect of stomping fallen undead. It's a crispy crunch.
  • We bought it when it was on sale, and I think we got the deluxe version because it comes with a bunch of interesting side characters (other than the standard 4).
  • Each character has two innate built in abilities. I like any that have speedy grenade recovery. My brother likes the character with the haymaker hth move.
  • Voice acting is top notch. The narrator nails the 1930s pulp radio announcer voice.
  • Good variety of normal weapons and the option to spend money to get random "magic" fire arms.
Does this help, Brock Savage Brock Savage ?

I've got a bunch of almost or half-finished games on my computer that I'm trying to get through so I can delete them.

Deus Ex Invisible War has an issue and needs to be reinstalled, so I went on to Tomb Raider 2013... which I wasn't that into originally (it came free with my video card)... but re-visiting it now I've been enjoying it, if only for its environments (that have me wanting to play Silent Hill again).

Next up will be Bioshock I... which I'm only about 1/4 through.

I've got a bunch of almost or half-finished games on my computer that I'm trying to get through so I can delete them.

Deus Ex Invisible War has an issue and needs to be reinstalled, so I went on to Tomb Raider 2013... which I wasn't that into originally (it came free with my video card)... but re-visiting it now I've been enjoying it, if only for its environments (that have me wanting to play Silent Hill again).

Next up will be Bioshock I... which I'm only about 1/4 through.
Tomb Raider 2013 was pretty fun. It could have stood to back off on telling you what to do a little, but I agree that the environments are great.

I played a little of Bioshock. I loved the atmosphere, but the control scheme annoyed me for some reason and I never got that far.

Speaking of trying to get through games, I've been tempted to try the alphabet challenge, where I play a game from each letter of the alphabet in order, forcing me to at least try all those games sitting in my Steam library from bundles and sales that I have yet to touch.

Speaking of trying to get through games, I've been tempted to try the alphabet challenge, where I play a game from each letter of the alphabet in order, forcing me to at least try all those games sitting in my Steam library from bundles and sales that I have yet to touch.
That's why I'm trying to clear off my computer a bit, I've got a load of games on Steam that I haven't started... Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Skies, Grim Fandango, Metal Slug... a bunch of those non-combat mystery games.

That's why I'm trying to clear off my computer a bit, I've got a load of games on Steam that I haven't started... Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Skies, Grim Fandango, Metal Slug... a bunch of those non-combat mystery games.
I guess actually playing them is one way to get them off your hard drive. I'd probably just upgrade to a bigger drive so I could install more games that I never play.

Just a further note on the Crusader Kings 2 Humble Bundle for anyone new getting into it: It includes all the expansions but not the cosmetic DLC. Cosmetic DLCs have no effect on gameplay at all. They just add more variety to the graphics.

They've recently bundled the cosmetic DLCs into a few larger and cheaper DLC: Ultimate Unit Pack, Ultimate Portrait Pack, Dynasty Shield Pack, and Ultimate Music Pack. The Unit Pack just provides various cultures with units that are unique in appearance. If you want your Saxons and Finno-Ugrics to have units that are distinct in appearance, you want this pack. The Portrait Pack adds more variety to the look of the characters in the game. The Shield Pack add more heraldry elements.

I wouldn't bother buying any of this stuff until you have tried the game. It makes absolutely no difference to the way it plays. If you decide you love it, I'd recommend the unit and portrait packs.

Oh lord... 'Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw' is dropping in a couple of weeks.

I gave in and got Red Dead Redemption 2 even though I burned out on the first game before completing it.

I got the new Fire Emblem game, Three Houses.

It's still Waifu Warhammer. You still build up deep attachments to all your dudes and want them to survive every battle. The new gimmick is that you're a professor in a school, you pick one of three houses to be the tutor of, and that gives you your initial party, but you can nab students from other houses by being good at teaching or just being nice to them.

It's very good.

I got the new Fire Emblem game, Three Houses.

It's still Waifu Warhammer. You still build up deep attachments to all your dudes and want them to survive every battle. The new gimmick is that you're a professor in a school, you pick one of three houses to be the tutor of, and that gives you your initial party, but you can nab students from other houses by being good at teaching or just being nice to them.

It's very good.

Does it still have the option to play with or without permadeath?

I don't mind permadeath. What I mind is that Fire Emblem has historically been very lazy, cheap, and stupid with it.

I got Fire Emblem Three Houses because my son is a huge fan of the series, though I haven't really played any of them forever. I'll probably check it out after he is done with it.

Does it still have the option to play with or without permadeath?

I don't mind permadeath. What I mind is that Fire Emblem has historically been very lazy, cheap, and stupid with it.
Yep, you can choose Casual (No permadeath) or Classic (Permadeath) modes. It has item degradation in it again, and you can also spend more points to do special attacks, when a character is levelled enough to learn them. It doesn't have a weapon triangle, but there are the usual weapons which hit certain targets harder.

Difficulty settings wise there are Normal, Hard and iirc the Lunatic difficulty is going to get patched in soon. I am playing Normal Classic, which is enough of a challenge to be fun without being tiresome; I spent about six hours last sunday redoing one battle because it started with my forces split into two groups, and one group was "somewhat underlevelled" let's say but I didn't want any of them to die.

I gave in and got Red Dead Redemption 2 even though I burned out on the first game before completing it.
I played the shit out of RDR1 but I haven't tried RDR2 yet. The game looks awesome but it seems I have to get in the mood first or something, not just for RDR but for gaming in general.

Another helpful note if anyone picked up the CK2 Bundle. I'd leave all the DLC on except for Sunset Invasion to start. Sunset Invasion is probably the most out there expansion, adding a massive Aztec invasion of Europe at some point in the game.

From a pure gameplay perspective, it can be interesting. In the base game, you always have the looming threat of the Mongols sweeping in from the east. Sunset invasion adds a similar threat from the western side of the map. Still, it's not something you want in your first attempt at the game.

I don't know if this is the right thread, but next year there will probably be two tabletop franchises coming out as videogames. Cyberpunk 2077 and Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines. Cyberpunk's gameplay already looks really well. Bloodlines looks good, but the combat looks pretty janky. It needs a lot of work, so I guess that one will be postphoned.

My wife started playing the virtual novel Death Mark on the Vita.

- The Videogame Spectator

Anyone still playing Overwatch? I recently got back into it, despite my solemn vows not to.

i do, but it's very light. i play mayhem religiously, and a bit of quick play to practice some folks.

Anyone still playing Overwatch? I recently got back into it, despite my solemn vows not to.
My wife and I used to roll with a crew but stopped when it drifted apart. We'd play again if we got a group together. Wife plays D-VA, Orisa, and Roadhog. I play Mercy, Lucio, and Soldier. Full disclosure: we're filthy Bronze-Silver tier casuals and can't compete against people who play 20+ hours a week.

ya, just a filthy bronze-silver level myself. i play a lot of stuff, but enjoy roadhog, ana, brig, soldier, ash, and many others. i don't really do pharah, widow, and baptiste

I barely play but I was mid-plat last time I did placements. But I also watch a ton of Overwatch League in the background while doing work (I work from home) and Overwatch is very gamesense and knowledge oriented game. (Also I just play tons of video games, as the video game field is actually my work).

I'm temped to get back into playing now that they are doing 2-2-2 roll lock (2 dps, 2 tank, 2 support) with separate queues for each. That way I can queue for tank and play main tank most of the time :B

I just fired up Darkest Dungeon again. It's a great game and I've logged 237 hours, an embarrassing testament to how I spend my time when single.

My wife is currently playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1 on PS4. She owns part 2 as well and pre-ordered part 3...

G-Sm6d0qIwQxUGHIp-m2WFcmpdhsH7-a17buRtwmtBrmKyzf8UUIpd6mZIkzMyrKkWmWB_I1-BRzcAF76m-8EGIMzP_9jT3M798jbfWVrnlLHTagI-xUZH_Sm7nlCvVG

Got Red Dead Redemption 2 for PS4 on a recent sale. Awesome game so far.

I just fired up Darkest Dungeon again. It's a great game and I've logged 237 hours, an embarrassing testament to how I spend my time when single.
DD is awesome. Im married and also logged around that time. Haha

I suggest playing in Radiant mode. It's faster and less grindy than default mode.

I suggest playing in Radiant mode. It's faster and less grindy than default mode.
I played through early access which made it particularly brutal. Every so often the meta would change and I'd lose a bunch of dudes. I'm at level 2 of the Darkest Dungeon itself but I need to finish off the DLC first.

I haven’t been this excited about a game for a long, long time.

I am however somewhat miffed that I won’t be able to replace our 9-year-old gaming rigs in time for this bad boy’s release.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back