The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Looking forward to The Last of Us 2. Don't know if it will be able to top the original's emotional impact but I enjoyed the chaotic and visceral combat and environmental exploration in the first game.

Not sure how I feel about Borderlands 3. The map is so bad it makes play hard work.

What are some good recentish RPGs? Playing Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones got me in a vibe for the genre. Is Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 1/2 good?

I prefer games with good C&C, and usually don't have patience for over-involving combats except if it's X-Com/Jagged Alliance 2 level goodness.

Grim Dawn. An action rpg by the makers of Titan Quest. It's dual class, so there are a lot of combinations of powers you can make.

Not really a fan of Diablo-likes, but I'll take a look. Thanks.

How is Tyranny? I've heard good and bad things about it. Anyone played it?

How is Tyranny? I've heard good and bad things about it. Anyone played it?
I've long been curious about this one, too, but I rarely just "try" long involved CRPGs.

I've spent the past week working on Dragon Quest XI S for the Nintendo Switch--one of the reasons I bought the system in the first place. I'm about 21 hours in and have to say that it's living up to expectations ... but some of the recent story points have really been heartstring-tuggers.

I've spent the past week working on Dragon Quest XI S for the Nintendo Switch--one of the reasons I bought the system in the first place. I'm about 21 hours in and have to say that it's living up to expectations ... but some of the recent story points have really been heartstring-tuggers.

I had already beaten the game on PS4, but got the Switch version for the extra content. I've been a huge fan of Dragon Quest since I was a kid. Good series, and XI is a really good game.

I've been playing UFC3 in the last few days. But no more than 30 hours total, I'm pretty sure! Probably closer to 20, even!

My only character who didn't get retired yet had recently knocked out her opponent with a kick to the chin. That was the whole fight.
And it was a title defence. Yes, I took a picture of the screen with my phone, which I haven't done yet.
Now, what do I have to do to make it to GOAT status:shade:?

Fun fact, the design of said character is courtesy of my daughter. She didn't care for the stats, but decided on her looks! That's what's important, right:tongue:?

Fun fact, the design of said character is courtesy of my daughter. She didn't care for the stats, but decided on her looks! That's what's important, right:tongue:?

Any game that let's me make my own character and has visible equipment turns into "pretty pretty dressup" for me. Like, I don't get playing a game just for that (like the literal dollmaker games), but something about being able to design the look of a character I spend a LOT of time doing if its part of a game where I can actually play that character doing something.

I had already beaten the game on PS4, but got the Switch version for the extra content. I've been a huge fan of Dragon Quest since I was a kid. Good series, and XI is a really good game.

I started with Dragon Warrior on the NES before Nintendo started giving it away :smile: and have kept up with the series since. III, V and VIII are probably the tops in my book, but XI is definitely looking like it will be on par if it keeps up at this level.

I bought Dragon Quest for the PS4. I liked it, but set it aside. I'd probably play it a lot more if I had access to the 16-bit mode. But I'm not going to buy a Switch for that feature. So I guess I'll just hope they eventually offer it as a patch for the PS4 version.

I started with Dragon Warrior on the NES before Nintendo started giving it away :smile: and have kept up with the series since. III, V and VIII are probably the tops in my book, but XI is definitely looking like it will be on par if it keeps up at this level.

I played Dragon Warrior at one of my older brother's friends houses not long after it came out. Then I played 2, 3, and 4 as they came out.

4 has a special place for me, in that I really liked all the games, but 4's story and chapter system was the game that made the Video Game RPG genre my favorite genre of video game. Also I loved the Taloon chapter, and something about how it wasn't about any grand adventure, just being a merchant, stuck with me. So I have like huge nostalgia glasses for that one, and it is one of my favorite games of all time for personal reasons.

5 also has a fantastic story structure and I liked the concept of the player
not being the hero, but the father of the heroes

8 was really really good, though I'll admit that I don't enjoy it as much now as I did then. After having the more forgiving skill point systems from IX (where you could just grind more classes for more points) and XI (where you can just respec), the slow growth and permanence of the skill point system feels really meh nowadays. That said I still love the characters (Angelo is amazing, and has really good character development).

IX is honestly one of the best just to play randomly every once in a while. The mechanics are near top tier for the series, even if the graphics and the story aren't as good (though I think the story is better than people give it credit for. The world is interesting, and I love the individual town vignettes. I mean yeah, you have an entire blank slate party with no personality, but the world carries it for me). Plus it has an infinite amount to do in endgame.

XI is probably the most polished modern game while still retaining that FEEL of an old school RPG. I love the grid system for skill points, and I love they allow you to experiment with it. My ideal DQ character system would be somehow combining the DQIX Vocation System with the DQXI skill grid system. Also the characters in XI are very charming, and the twists in the plot (including the whole Act 3 twist) are really enjoyable.

IV and VIII go back and forth in the #3 slot for me. IX is second-tier, but even the weakest DQ (which is probably II) is still a darn good game. Unfortunately, the single save slot and the shutdown of the WiFi network hurt replayability.

And I only just finished Lonalulu, so please, be careful with spoilers! I've spent the past year avoiding them. :smile:

Yeah, I own a copy of IX (cause I'm not a piece of shit) but I play it on a flash card nowadays so I can use a save editor to flip all the switches to activate the "DLC" missions and the number of tags necessary for the Inn guests.

There is actually a way to activate it all still, either tagging from a copy of the game that has it, or using this method: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/77723677

But the method they decided to use for that was really dumb, because now you have to use workarounds to experience the whole game :/. I'm hoping eventually IX gets a Switch port with maybe some enhanced graphics (though honestly just a straight port I'd be fine with).

And yeah, no spoilers for XI. :smile:.

Any game that let's me make my own character and has visible equipment turns into "pretty pretty dressup" for me. Like, I don't get playing a game just for that (like the literal dollmaker games), but something about being able to design the look of a character I spend a LOT of time doing if its part of a game where I can actually play that character doing something.
In UFC 3 you can sculpt your own face or download one:shade:.
And you can change you hair's style and color, or get yourself a tattoo or tattoos during the game.
And this can actually have a measurable in-game effect.
Sold already:devil:?

BTW, the RPG elements are strong in that one.

Oh lord... Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC...

My poor hard drive!!! My poor family... the neglect I'm about to inflict upon them...

Oh lord... Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC...

My poor hard drive!!! My poor family... the neglect I'm about to inflict upon them...
Don't want to piss at your barbecue (is the saying right?), but I've found RDR2 a big disappointment and one of the most overrated games ever. It has some pretty good qualities (story, characters, NPCs), but it's flaws killed it for me. The main ones being:

1) Linearity. Story progression and missions are extremelly linear. Most missions consist in you following some NPCs ass left and right and shooting stuff when the script dictates so. No choices with distinct consequences, no openess to do it the way you like, nothing. Some Call of Duty stages are more dynamic than this.

2) Theme-park world. This is the most frustrating part, as the setting is beautiful and NPCs reactivity good and life-like. But the game simply don't take any advantage of it. Once you complete first chapter you're swimming in enough money and upgrades that you don't need to interact at all with the world around - no need to engage with the hunting/cooking/surviving/bounty/etc mechanics. The only use those has by then is for innocuous time challenges mini-games and such.

3) Shooting is awful. Really, this is a game about old west gunslingers. How can they made shooting so boring? By half game you'll get tire of the mechanics and wish every shootout end fast.

Don't get me wrong, this is just my opinion. But if you want actual role-playing, choices & consequences, world-interaction and simulation from this game you won't find it. All you will find is a good (but linear) story, characters and dialogues. If that's enough to satisfy you, go for it. I want more from a RPG.

P.S: for comparison sake - the recently released Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is full of bugs, has indie production values (just a 70k budget through Kickstarter), and is unfinished. Yet, it offers a much better role-playing experience than RDR2, IMO, with different character roles and player choices actually producing different consequences in quests and the world.

Last edited:
Don't want to piss at your barbecue (is the saying right?), but I've found RDR2 a big disappointment and one of the most overrated games ever. It has some pretty good qualities (story, characters, NPCs), but it's flaws killed it for me. The main ones being:

1) Linearity. Story progression and missions are extremelly linear. Most missions consist in you following some NPCs ass left and right and shooting stuff when the script dictates so. No choices with distinct consequences, no openess to do it the way you like, nothing. Some Call of Duty stages are more dynamic than this.

2) Theme-park world. This is the most frustrating part, as the setting is beautiful and NPCs reactivity good and life-like. But the game simply don't take any advantage of it. Once you complete first chapter you're swimming in enough money and upgrades that you don't need to interact at all with the world around - no need to engage with the hunting/cooking/surviving/bounty/etc mechanics. The only use those has by then is for innocuous time challenges mini-games and such.

3) Shooting is awful. Really, this is a game about old west gunslingers. How can they made shooting so boring? By half game you'll get tire of the mechanics and wish every shootout end fast.

Don't get me wrong, this is just my opinion. But if you want actual role-playing, choices & consequences, world-interaction and simulation from this game you won't find it. All you will find is a good (but linear) story, characters and dialogues. If that's enough to satisfy you, go for it. I want more from a RPG.

P.S: for comparison sake - the recently released Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is full of bugs, has indie production values (just a 70k budget through Kickstarter), and is unfinished. Yet, it offers a much better role-playing experience than RDR2, IMO, with different character roles and player choices actually producing different consequences in quests and the world.

Oh I've played it. But I slow-boiled it. So it didn't feel that linear to me. I went offroading from the start. That said - I did the same thing with GTA-V and I bought it on PC too - and loved it a LOT more on PC. The gameplay was better. I didn't like the gameplay of RDR or GTAV on console. AT ALL.

So I'm going to take the gamble with RD2. If it doesn't pan out - I'll let you guys know.

Stygian updates incoming.

Fix and Improvement Roadmap!

[IMG]

Greetings Brethren!

The stars are right once again and we indeed have some good news for you!

We wanted to update you on the state of fixes and improvements planned for the Stygian. As you know we have been collecting all the feedback coming from you and would like to share the road map that has been drawn in the light of your feedback.

Here is a list of fixes and improvements that we will work on in the following period:
  • The fixing of an array of critical bugs that you've been reporting since launch
  • A new save system with the save anywhere and Character Profile function so the player would be able to switch between different characters
  • A tutorial system which would show the player the ropes on the first encounters with each of the more complex systems of the game such as combat, rest activities, hunger etc.
  • A chance to hit indicator that would show the players how likely they can hit their designated targets
  • The disabling of companion skills except combat and crafting related ones
  • The disabling of the combat loot system that creates movement difficulties for the players Various tweaks on the balancing of the game

We will test the systems and fixes internally before releasing the patches so unless something very pressing happens, the patches will start coming out at the beginning of next month.

We will contact all our players whose requests would have been met with the new versions and notify them about the progress.

We are planning to have another and a more extended fix period following this one. You will be updated.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback and comments brethren.

This morbid story is far from over.

Team Cultic

Grim Dawn is awesome. Probably my favorite Diablo-style game.
I dislike Diablo-style games but Grim Dawn is an exception. The setting and story drew me in; I sunk a lot of time into searching for every secret and scrap of lore. In fact the only reason I stopped playing was because my relationship with Mrs. Savage got serious and the game didn't click for her.

Anyone else playing Noita? I'm finding it to be incredibly addictive. Just-one-more-gamitis. It's very hard, but totally blissful when you get your hands on an OP wand for a while (before you blow yourself up with it, naturally).

Anyone else playing Noita? I'm finding it to be incredibly addictive. Just-one-more-gamitis. It's very hard, but totally blissful when you get your hands on an OP wand for a while (before you blow yourself up with it, naturally).
Yes. It really is addictive. The fact that dying can be part of the fun makes it easy to dive back into another game rather than quitting in frustration.

Yesterday, I got total immunity to fire. That led me to start burning everything combustible in sight, hoping to consume my enemies in flames. Unfortunately, immunity to fire doesn't protect you from the concussive blast damage when things you set on fire explode. Lesson learned.

Yesterday, I got total immunity to fire. That led me to start burning everything combustible in sight, hoping to consume my enemies in flames. Unfortunately, immunity to fire doesn't protect you from the concussive blast damage when things you set on fire explode. Lesson learned.
I learned the same lesson twice. The first time I got the immunity to fire perk like you. The second time, I was sniping one of those burning men while under the surface of water, thinking that made me entirely safe from his blasts. It did, until he scored a direct hit.

My favorite wands are the ones that fire the buzzsaws. Incidentally, I often die due to bouncing buzzsaws.

Got Battlefield 1 on current sale.

Play a couple hours of the most crowded mode (Conquest?) and get bored. Miss the intensity of Rainbow Six Siege.

Almost uninstall, decide to give one last chance. Try some mode called "Operations".

*stays hooked on intense gameplay until 3 AM*

shredder.png

I spent a couple of hours yesterday playing Subnautica and Minecraft to entertain an audience of a six year-old and a three year-old.

"Okay, now go over there."
"Don't go close to the lava because then you might go in the lava and then you'll die."
"Go where that chicken was standing."

I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, I got to play a video game and they weren't destroying my house while they were sitting quietly and directing me like a trained helper monkey, but...

Anyone else playing Noita? I'm finding it to be incredibly addictive. Just-one-more-gamitis.
Yes. It really is addictive. The fact that dying can be part of the fun makes it easy to dive back into another game rather than quitting in frustration.
Thank you for the endorsement, gentlemen. I may have to move it up a few notches on my Wishlist que.

Decided to pick up the Nintendo Switch Version of the Baldur's Gate games that came out today. I think I owned the original when it came out, but recall nothing about it. Hoping to have some fun running around the Realms.

The beginning can be really annoying as you'll keep dying to wolves. Get to the city and feel free to cheat like hell to get past to the first major combat encounter. After that the game clicks and improves a lot.

Been playing Super Robot Wars V (V stands for Voyage, not 5. It's like the 50 somethingish SRW game). Happy that finally some of this series is coming out in English (even if you have to import it because it is the Asia region version, because no way in hell they could organize the licenses necessary to release it in North America).

It's silly, goofy and fun.

Anyone familiar with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven? My wife just finished that. The game's just as hilariously bizarre and grotesque as the anime.

giphy.gif

The Outer Worlds

Whilst shallow in terms of gameplay, and similarly in the depth of it's skill/perk system, TOW is a fantastic (and casual) foray back into the open/hub world of RPGs. Companions to get to know, whom are fleshed out and interesting to talk to. Locations to explore and loot every damn thing there is to loot. NPCs to fuck over or sway. An engaging story overall. From a narrative standpoint I am very much enjoying my time.

I am playing on Hard difficulty and still breezing through encounters and skill checks, but honestly I'm fine with that - I am more interesting in unraveling the story anyway. I highly recommend for anyone who wants a Fallout-esque or Mass Effect 1 title to dig their teeth into. And on PC (with Windows 10) you can play via the Xbox Game pass for $1 (if the deal is still on, otherwise it's $5) without needing to buy the game outright.

Been playing Super Robot Wars V (V stands for Voyage, not 5. It's like the 50 somethingish SRW game). Happy that finally some of this series is coming out in English (even if you have to import it because it is the Asia region version, because no way in hell they could organize the licenses necessary to release it in North America).

It's silly, goofy and fun.

Yep. It's a really good one. I've played through it at least 5 times.

How far in are you?

I'm about halfway through my first playthrough, doing Female MC route (episode 22 atm. So a little less than halfway).

I went ahead and picked out X and T for me to open on Christmas morning with the family :B.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back