The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
T had some after launch patches that extended upgrade levels to truly ludicrous heights. There's a DLC expansion as well, which I'm SOL in regards to since I don't have a Singapore PSN account.

I definitely liked V more than X and T. Played X through twice on the PSTV and missed out on 100% because of a trophy glitch. Played T through once and stalled out midway through the second playthru (roughly at the same time the patch hit). Bought V again on the PS4 and transferred my data over. Will probably be playing it again soon.

I also have OG Saga Moon Dwellers, but I haven't played any of it outside the first mision.

You can set up a Singapore PSN account pretty easily and buy PSN wallet codes for the region online. That is what I did with X for the DLC.

What are some good recentish RPGs? Playing Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones got me in a vibe for the genre. Is Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 1/2 good?

I prefer games with good C&C, and usually don't have patience for over-involving combats except if it's X-Com/Jagged Alliance 2 level goodness.
Tyranny is... almost great. While you're playing the Bad Guy's henchman, you get to choose just how evil you are - LE through CE, really - but it doesn't feel gratuitous even when you're pretty evil. The choices you'll have to make feel like they have a lot of weight behind them, and the character gen system - which starts with the normal attribute stuff, and then has you play a short choose-your-own-adventure about what your character did during the first few years of the occupation - does a good job of getting you up to speed on the game world and where you stand in it, as well as setting yourself up with various enemies and allies. It feels like your character has a history from a prequel. The characters are all well written and fun to spend time with, and the world is an interesting one that doesn't feel tropey or dull.

But on the negative side, the combat is just arse (I dropped difficulty to Easy because I just didn't care after a while), and...
...the story ends on a huge cliffhanger, which is very unlikely to be resolved as the game sold poorly and the developers have since been picked up by MS.

Thanks, Lady. I'll take a look at Tyranny.

On the meanwhile, this new Disco Elysium seems to be causing a stir among critics. Anyone here played it yet? (I bet 3rik 3rik 's wife already did Lol)

IGN wrote:
"Disco Elysium is a unique blend of noir-detective fiction, traditional pen-and-paper RPGs, and a large helping of existentialist theory. Its twisting plot, cast of memorable characters, and sheer depth of choice combine to create an experience that begs to be savoured."

JeuxActu wrote:
"Disco Elysium goes straight to the hall of fame of RPGs where it will sit right besides Planetscape Torment. A true masterpiece."

PCGamer wrote:
"The thing about Disco Elysium is that my experience of it is completely unique to me, such is the dizzying variety of skills, stats, thoughts, and conversation options on offer. You could play through it five times and still not see everything, so there's no one experience to assess. But I can say with certainty that it's one of the finest RPGs on PC if you value depth, freedom, customisation, and storytelling."

shredder.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Lady. I'll take a look at Tyranny.

On the meanwhile, this new Disco Elysium seems to be causing a stir among critics. Anyone here played it yet? (I bet 3rik 3rik 's wife already did Lol)

shredder.png
In picked it up last week, but I haven't had a chance to touch it yet. I'll report back soon.

On the meanwhile, this new Disco Elysium seems to be causing a stir among critics. Anyone here played it yet? (I bet @3rik 's wife already did Lol)
She's not a PC gamer. We watched a video on IGN but I didn't notice her being particularly enthusiastic. Then again, I might have been projecting as I personally wasn't sold on the overall visual style.

I've noticed the excitement around Disco Elysium and intend to pick it up soon.

Fairly impressed at the Blizzcon trailers for the new WoW expansion (from a purely lore POV. Don’t think I’ll be rejoining this hype train anytime soon.) and for Diablo IV (the trailer itself is nicely, LotFP-ish horrific. The gameplay video is okay, I guess; looks very much like Diablo III).

My wife is playing the demo for Nioh 2.

By the way, I asked about Disco Elysium and she said she'll probably be interested once it's available on PS4, but isn't paying much attention to it yet.

My wife is playing the demo for Nioh 2.

By the way, I asked about Disco Elysium and she said she'll probably be interested once it's available on PS4, but isn't paying much attention to it yet.

I think I'll wait too. ;)

My nine-year old nephew wanted to play a "new" video game while visiting today, so I introduced him to Portal, which he loved.

In one of the later test chambers, he pulled off a particularly clever move and said, "That was awesome! I just wish my companion cube was still around to see it."

Have any of you checked out the Nioh 2 demo? These cute cat yokai alone are almost enough reason to get in on it!

ogHUITw.gif

Deep Rock Galactic is one of those preview games that are lowered priced, but then they keep working on developing the game as people play it. It's been high quality all around, so I don't feel like I am paying to playtest it (even though I think that's exactly what I am doing). I always come back to it after playing other games and I always appreciate each update, new monster or mission, and graphic changes. If you like dwarfs in space, this is for you.

Deep-Rock-Galactic.jpg

I hope no one is annoyed by my Blizzard fanboyhood (which is less about being a hardcore player than about being a lapsed casual) but this video in particular hit me, as the kids say, right in the feels.

I'm all about the Outer Worlds these days. It's the charming space western I always wanted :3

Have any of you checked out the Nioh 2 demo? These cute cat yokai alone are almost enough reason to get in on it!

ogHUITw.gif

I got burned out on the first game but that looks fun I'll have to check it out.

Deep Rock Galactic is one of those preview games that are lowered priced, but then they keep working on developing the game as people play it. It's been high quality all around, so I don't feel like I am paying to playtest it (even though I think that's exactly what I am doing). I always come back to it after playing other games and I always appreciate each update, new monster or mission, and graphic changes. If you like dwarfs in space, this is for you.

View attachment 13306
I actually made a youtube video to explore the design behind Deep Rock, and why it differs from the other co-op horde games in the same vein. Love that game!

I actually made a youtube video to explore the design behind Deep Rock, and why it differs from the other co-op horde games in the same vein. Love that game!
I just unlocked the Deep Dive missions. FOR KARL!!!!

Feel free to link it here.

Sure! Here it is

Nailed it. It the "quiet" sections of the game really are almost like another game. Navigating the more complex cave systems is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Respawn Entertainment's Fallen Order is a fantastic game thusfar. Only a few planets in.

In terms of gameplay and level design, it borrows heavily from Uncharted, Souls series and general metroidvania-ism to create these elaborate connecting areas. Combat is fluid and challenging on the harder difficulties. There are many secrets to go exploring for.

The best star wars game in a long time. I think I prefer it over Force Unleashed (although the force powers in that game were fantastic).

I reinstalled Overwatch cause I haven't' played it in like a year and roll queue sounds nice.

Was wondering how much my skills have atrophied.

The answer is a lot. Ouch.

The Outer Worlds

Whilst shallow in terms of gameplay, and similarly in the depth of it's skill/perk system, TOW is a fantastic (and casual) foray back into the open/hub world of RPGs. Companions to get to know, whom are fleshed out and interesting to talk to. Locations to explore and loot every damn thing there is to loot. NPCs to fuck over or sway. An engaging story overall. From a narrative standpoint I am very much enjoying my time.

I am playing on Hard difficulty and still breezing through encounters and skill checks, but honestly I'm fine with that - I am more interesting in unraveling the story anyway. I highly recommend for anyone who wants a Fallout-esque or Mass Effect 1 title to dig their teeth into. And on PC (with Windows 10) you can play via the Xbox Game pass for $1 (if the deal is still on, otherwise it's $5) without needing to buy the game outright.

Been a bit burned out on videogames lately but the buzz on this one and The Return of Obra Dinn made me take the plunge on my PS4, with my luck they'll be on sale any day now.

PS. Any opinions on Death Stranding?

I'm still playing UFC 3. Finally succumbed to the temptation and used the option for (somewhat) simpler controls during submissions:thumbsup:.
1574569108964.jpeg
Also, I can report that Bruce Lee kills everybody in Knockout mode and that Dana White indeniably has Heart, possibly lots of it (which might be news to some people, I hear:devil:).
How do I know? He's also a fighter in this game. And Heart is a stat all fighters have:shade:!

I am enjoying Far Cry 3 despite not giving a shit about the protagonist or his loved ones. Who the fuck relates to privileged bourgeoisie thrill-seeker? The gameplay is pretty fun though.

I actually really like the main character from Far Cry 3. His story arch is really good for a sandbox shooter. The whole concept of him being a kind of privileged slacker who was meandering through life and finds the one thing he is stupidly good at is killing and his whole descent into how screwed up that is.

I am enjoying Far Cry 3 despite not giving a shit about the protagonist or his loved ones. Who the fuck relates to privileged bourgeoisie thrill-seeker?
When this game came out, it created a bit of a stir for what some felt to be an insensitive portrayal of indigenous (Pacific?) islanders in a very stereotypical way, while you play this privileged Mountain Dew chugging protagonist. The thing is that the issue was entirely moot because the ending makes it clear that this is very intentional and you're being setup for a mindfuck of a twist. Veering away from politics, I just want to point out that the things you're talking is a feature and not a bug, and if you stick through to the end I think you'll see what I mean.

(There are two endings, so make sure you save beforehand. Sadly, the other ending doesn't really reveal how deeply fucked the whole situation is.)

I also think it's just a terrific game with fun mechanics. It got a bit tedious when FC4 was more of the same; I never made it through that one. That was when I discovered I could no longer be bothered to hunt down brightly colored dots on minimaps.

As for myself, I'm still playing Noita. I've made the occasional stab at The Outer Wilds, which is a fantastic game. But I'm enjoying Noita so much that when I sit down to play any other game, I have to ask myself why I'm bothering. I'm yet to "beat" it, and beyond that, like any proper roguelike, it's full of all kinds of "secret" and extended content. And it's still in early access. Some of the wands I've managed to put together are so ridiculous that that only way I could die is by doing something utterly stupid. Which always manages to happen (polymorph is particularly dangerous at higher tiers).

Veering away from politics, I just want to point out that the things you're talking is a feature and not a bug, and if you stick through to the end I think you'll see what I mean.
That's good to hear; thanks for weighing in on this and clarifying. I am enjoying the gameplay and glad the creators decided to subvert some tired old tropes.

Co-op with Mrs. Savage is pretty fun too.

I also think it's just a terrific game with fun mechanics. It got a bit tedious when FC4 was more of the same; I never made it through that one. That was when I discovered I could no longer be bothered to hunt down brightly colored dots on minimaps.

It didn't help that the story and characters of FC4 are just not as good as FC3. FC4 is definitely the more fun game to play, it has more refined mechanics, but 3 actually has a really good arch for the main character. The main character from 4's arch is nonexistent. (Have played and beaten both).

I spent most of the day breeding chickens in modded Minecraft.

Gotta get clay chickens if I want diamond chickens...
My three nephews and I have a Realm where we have a once-a-month battle, them vs. me. We have the month to prepare our bases and methods of attack. I just built an obsidian tower guarded by a lava moat and skeleton archers to draw their attention in the next battle. I want to see if I can lure them into a pit trap with an End Portal at the bottom.
enderportalmc-625x352.jpg

For non-Minecraft players, The End is a dimension inhabited by shadow beings and the Ender Dragon.

I started playing CK2 again a month ago. I started as the Duke of Mercia in the 769 start and am now the Emperor of Britannia and Northern France. The King that created the Empire was super proactive in the bedroom and fathered a ton of bastards all of whom were somehow seen as the legitimate children of their mothers husbands. He also fathered about 5 kids with his sons wife, some before they were even married. He also converted most of the kingdom to Catharism so woman were equal to men. A couple boring rulers later The newly crowned Empress of England, Wales and Ireland launched a campaign to take Scotland from the Norsemen. After that was done she took northern France from the Umayyads who had been busy converting Charlemagne's decedents to Islam. That was a tough fight, they control all of Spain and Morroco as well as most of western France. After all this conquering she decided that now would be a good time to convert the Empire back to Catholicism and join a crusade against the Byzantine Empire. With the Byzantines now dead, the Empress got sick and was cured of Measles AND Syphilis at the same time by cutting off a leg. Later on she was cured by the Flu by removing one of her hands and going insane. Then at the ripe old age of 52 she decided that now would be a good time to look for Immortality and actually got far enough in the event chain to reach some magic apples before me realizing that she's a terrible leader to be immortal and having her turn around and spend the rest of her days getting enough money for her heir. Now I'm a very scholarly king who joined the Hermetic Society. He tried to contact a divine being and gained insight into the cosmos so he's looking good so far.

I've fired up Total War: Warhammer and am trying to complete the Bretonian campaign. I managed to unite all the Bretonian factions, beat up the elves and the vampires, and get the final quest, but by that point pretty much the entire world east of Bretonia was Chaos-tainted wasteland full of unstoppable Chaos Warrior stacks, and just as I was moving Louen Leoncoeur in to the last quest, Archaon the Everchosen spawned right in front of him. :tongue: I'm pretty sure there was no saving that campaign after that point - once Chaos is done mopping up the Empire, it'll wreck me.

So I started over. This time, I'm sending King Louen on a pre-emptive march across the Norscan coast, burning as many of those barbarian settlements as I can get hold of. I need to get hold of Honour somehow, so I might as well do it in a way that will hopefully make the endgame easier. But creeping along the frozen wastes and having to make camp every two yards to keep from getting killed by attrition is kind of boring. :tongue:

Ordered new computers to replace our old ones and picked up the Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe edition for me and the missus.

We are as excited as children and already looking into character builds (right now I’m leaning towards barrier + drone Zane, she’s looking into Moze).

We’re also contemplating a WoW resub to try Classic and maybe stick around for Shadowlands (I like the idea of a big level crunch).

And in the meantime I really wish I could get her to play Diablo 3 (never even finished the Reaper of Souls campaign!) or Torchlight 2 again with me but it seems that’s just not happening.

I started playing CK2 again a month ago. I started as the Duke of Mercia in the 769 start and am now the Emperor of Britannia and Northern France. The King that created the Empire was super proactive in the bedroom and fathered a ton of bastards all of whom were somehow seen as the legitimate children of their mothers husbands. He also fathered about 5 kids with his sons wife, some before they were even married. He also converted most of the kingdom to Catharism so woman were equal to men. A couple boring rulers later The newly crowned Empress of England, Wales and Ireland launched a campaign to take Scotland from the Norsemen. After that was done she took northern France from the Umayyads who had been busy converting Charlemagne's decedents to Islam. That was a tough fight, they control all of Spain and Morroco as well as most of western France. After all this conquering she decided that now would be a good time to convert the Empire back to Catholicism and join a crusade against the Byzantine Empire. With the Byzantines now dead, the Empress got sick and was cured of Measles AND Syphilis at the same time by cutting off a leg. Later on she was cured by the Flu by removing one of her hands and going insane. Then at the ripe old age of 52 she decided that now would be a good time to look for Immortality and actually got far enough in the event chain to reach some magic apples before me realizing that she's a terrible leader to be immortal and having her turn around and spend the rest of her days getting enough money for her heir. Now I'm a very scholarly king who joined the Hermetic Society. He tried to contact a divine being and gained insight into the cosmos so he's looking good so far.
I've fired up Total War: Warhammer and am trying to complete the Bretonian campaign. I managed to unite all the Bretonian factions, beat up the elves and the vampires, and get the final quest, but by that point pretty much the entire world east of Bretonia was Chaos-tainted wasteland full of unstoppable Chaos Warrior stacks, and just as I was moving Louen Leoncoeur in to the last quest, Archaon the Everchosen spawned right in front of him. :tongue: I'm pretty sure there was no saving that campaign after that point - once Chaos is done mopping up the Empire, it'll wreck me.

So I started over. This time, I'm sending King Louen on a pre-emptive march across the Norscan coast, burning as many of those barbarian settlements as I can get hold of. I need to get hold of Honour somehow, so I might as well do it in a way that will hopefully make the endgame easier. But creeping along the frozen wastes and having to make camp every two yards to keep from getting killed by attrition is kind of boring. :tongue:

The two of you are seriously tempting me to get into your respective games. Been hearing about CK2 for ages. And TW: Warhammer pretty much had me at Warhammer.

The two of you are seriously tempting me to get into your respective games. Been hearing about CK2 for ages. And TW: Warhammer pretty much had me at Warhammer.
And he is tempting me into getting back into CK2. There has been a lot added to the game since I last played, so it should be very fresh.

And here I bought UFC 2, too!
I like some of the differences. People that follow the Martial Arts thread I started are probably unsurprised to know that one of the things I like most* is the presence of active deflection-based parrying:tongue:.
People that know me also would be unsurprised to see that my wins often come by means of kicks followed by clinch and/or ground and pound.
I think my next character** would likely be a fist-fighting specialist. Time to learn the single collar clinch! And maybe a submission or two? I actually like them IRL, but the game kinda rewards specialisation:devil:!

*Which means I felt like it was a missing option in UFC 3. even though I started with the latter one.

**I'm playing in Career mode most of the time.

Interesting enough, I might not buy many new fighting games in the near future. I mean, I've got the two latest DOAs, two UFC titles, and Sleeping Dogs for street fights. What more can you want, other than playing Fight: the Fighting Game RPG:grin:?

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back