The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I dunno. Heroes of the Storm wasn't bad when I was playing it. It's been a couple years but I remember it being pleasant enough. Better when I already had a group, obviously, but still.

So I’ve been playing Overwatch (support main) and I’m starting to hate it.

Every match I’m frantically playing whack a mole to keep my team alive but they do nothing to protect me from the enemy flankers. Tank characters (who used to be actual “tanks” and help protect their teammates) are just attackers. So no help.

the first 100 times I had goons spamming the chat with “heals ffs”, rushing over to help and have them fuck off and leave me to die was fine, but it got old real fast.

Keep losing games and getting blamed for the losses when I am literally doing nothing but healing my team and… well…

Why am I playing this again? None of my friends are. I’m done: maybe will rejoin once PvE comes online again, like they promised, or if they balance some of the characters so that brigitte and what’s her name with the damage orbs are actually healers rather than just another flavour of attackers… sigh

Sad to hear that. I played a lot of Overwatch 1 when it came out. Did get tired of the PvP mode however. So in the end, I just played the Play vs. AI mode.
The players in that mode, were very chill. Surprisingly a lot of them only played that mode. But I don't know, if that still exists in Overwatch 2.

Sad to hear that. I played a lot of Overwatch 1 when it came out. Did get tired of the PvP mode however. So in the end, I just played the Play vs. AI mode.
The players in that mode, were very chill. Surprisingly a lot of them only played that mode. But I don't know, if that still exists in Overwatch 2.
It does! And it is about to improve in January or February.

Sadly XP rewards are very low. No achievements, no swag for playing AI mode (considered practice).

Start of the month I finally caved and bought a 2nd hand 3070ti to replace my aging and well worn pair of 970s in SLI. I'm 99% certain the 3070ti came from a mining rig, but aside from a slight fan rattle at max speed and one of the DP ports not working (not a huge issue, I just enabled my CPUs onboard graphics to run my 4th monitor) it's running fine and Furmark and 3dMark benchmark it okay.
The dodgy port shenanagins prompted me to update my monitors and I ended up with a Black Friday early deal 32" 4k Samsung for under £200 to replace a much loved 24" Dell 1980x1200.

Naturally I had to have a game to play with to show off my new graphics card and monitor, and bought No Man's Sky via CDkeys for £12. It looks like one of those games I might lose half my life to.

And thanks to Steam's sale, I've got Cyberpunk 2077 downloading right now.

Playing Trails from Zero. You're the JRPG police. Lots of attention to detail. Pretty refreshing amid all the generic fantasy games.

sTJEijA.jpg

Start of the month I finally caved and bought a 2nd hand 3070ti to replace my aging and well worn pair of 970s in SLI. I'm 99% certain the 3070ti came from a mining rig, but aside from a slight fan rattle at max speed and one of the DP ports not working (not a huge issue, I just enabled my CPUs onboard graphics to run my 4th monitor) it's running fine and Furmark and 3dMark benchmark it okay.
The dodgy port shenanagins prompted me to update my monitors and I ended up with a Black Friday early deal 32" 4k Samsung for under £200 to replace a much loved 24" Dell 1980x1200.

Naturally I had to have a game to play with to show off my new graphics card and monitor, and bought No Man's Sky via CDkeys for £12. It looks like one of those games I might lose half my life to.

And thanks to Steam's sale, I've got Cyberpunk 2077 downloading right now.

Nice score! If you really want to beat the new card up and see what its capable of, I'd highly recommend any of the Unigine benchmarks (found here: https://benchmark.unigine.com/ ) I used Superposition to stress test various overclock settings for my 3090, and its great! Plus you can do burn it tests too, to see how stable the card, or your settings are, long term.

Enjoy CP2077...I really liked that game. While it wasn't perfect, so far its the game that has best captured the cyberpunk genre for me.

Far Cry 6 is heavily discounted on Ubisoft's portal so we finally picked it up. It's a great game and pretty much a must-buy for fans of the franchise. It retains the best features of the series while getting rid of the annoying ones. Visually it's amazing and so far I am enjoying the musical choices. Co-op is improved, outfits can be customized, and the MC can be male or female; finally, my wife and I don't have to sacrifice personal progression to play a pair of identical dudebros.

Bayonetta 3 is fun so far, I like some of the additions such as fully summoning up massive demons for fighting, and it feels like the difficulty leans a bit closer to the first game than the second. I'll admit, though, I'd kind of like to be playing J-Pop Bayonetta more than the one who is the main character here.

I haven't found an online multiplayer community that wasn't utterly toxic. This is why I stick to single-player campaigns.

Funny enough I found the Dark Souls community on PS 3 & 4 quite fun but that benefits a lot from not being able to talk to each other in play besides gestures, etc. On PC though DS is full of assholes.

I've got to say, I kind of admire how even as late as the third game Bayonetta remains committed to including weird tangents off of the tightly designed core action gameplay.

I can't help but feel as though people complained about stuff like the motorbike driving and rail shooter sections of the first game and Kamiya was all Kamiya about it.

Finally close to finishing The Last Guardian on PS4.

It is by the same team who did the brilliant Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, two of my favourite games.

It is nearly as great and clearly is a combo of both the platforming of the former and the 3D over the shoulder design of the latter. Some of the puzzles and platforming are first rate but occasionally janky mechanics take it down a peg. Requires some patience but worth it for the vibes alone imo.

I've been playing the Bioshock remaster. Great game but holy cow can it be buggy, in particular the save system. Sometimes I'll have to spend a solid minute hitting the save button over and over just to get a successful save.
I've also been achievement hunting in HoI4 again. In particular I've been trying to get the William Wallis achievement, where you install Wallis Simpson as Queen of the United States and release Scotland as a puppet. My main problem has been figuring out the specific conditions required to be able to form an American monarchy. I spent a whole 1936-1945 campaign doing it wrong, so I took a break. I think I might try again tomorrow.
I've also been thinking about firing up Morrowind again, Tamriel Rebuilt just released a major update and I think it's finally time I gave it a look.

But there's something else...
In 6 more days...

Still waiting to get my desktop back, hard to do any gaming on this old business laptop. Managed to turn a friend of mine-- likely very soon to be a kinsman-- on to The Last Sovereign and Jupiter Hell at the same time.

I would like to be playing more Skullgirls 2nd Encore; it runs well enough, but taking it online means taking it upstairs.

I should probably be working on Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, but...

I'm looking to pick up an Xbox series X in the next couple of days so my future gaming is going to involve revisiting a whole raft of 360 games I missed first time round due to the RROD.

I never finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker despite getting close about six months ago.
So I might try this over the Christmas-New Year break.
I've already finished the core story of the sequel, and have the save files, so perhaps I might try all the DLC I payed for while I'm at it.

Never heard of it
Basically it's one of the OG colony builders like Rim World. But it's so much more than that. It's a passion project by 2 brothers. You generate a fantasy world with it's own history, religions and even semi-randomly generated monsters. Then you can either play Fortress mode, where you build a dwarven colony, or adventure mod, which runs a bit like a freeform Angband/Larn/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
It's extremely detailed, with individual dwarves having stuff like individual fingernails and toes that can be removed in combat.
This can lead to absurd stuff like having a necklace made out of Goblin Teeth, or a wall engraved with a scene of a dwarf being devoured by a RNG monster. It has no real win state so the players can set their own goals.
It has, until today, also been very obtuse for new players to learn and used ASCII for graphics so it's remained somewhat of a cult classic game.
The developers started having health issues in recent years and wanted to make sure that they weren't entirely reliant on donations so they gave the game a tutorial, qol improvements and some nice graphics so they could sell it on steam.

Indeed today Dwarf Fortress has released on steam. Everyone should get it. It's high art.
Is there a Mac version coming for my M1?
It's a must-buy if so, a sad wait or contemplating emulation if not, depending on if a future compatible version is coming.

Is there a Mac version coming for my M1?
It's a must-buy if so, a sad wait or contemplating emulation if not, depending on if a future compatible version is coming.
I'm sorry to say that you have chosen poorly when it comes to operating systems. Apparently you can run the pre-steam version on Mac: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation#Mac
As for the Steam version I don't know.
Edit: Just looking around, while there's no official confirmation, it's probable that the steam release will be available for Mac.

Basically it's one of the OG colony builders like Rim World. But it's so much more than that. It's a passion project by 2 brothers. You generate a fantasy world with it's own history, religions and even semi-randomly generated monsters. Then you can either play Fortress mode, where you build a dwarven colony, or adventure mod, which runs a bit like a freeform Angband/Larn/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
It's extremely detailed, with individual dwarves having stuff like individual fingernails and toes that can be removed in combat.
This can lead to absurd stuff like having a necklace made out of Goblin Teeth, or a wall engraved with a scene of a dwarf being devoured by a RNG monster. It has no real win state so the players can set their own goals.
It has, until today, also been very obtuse for new players to learn and used ASCII for graphics so it's remained somewhat of a cult classic game.
The developers started having health issues in recent years and wanted to make sure that they weren't entirely reliant on donations so they gave the game a tutorial, qol improvements and some nice graphics so they could sell it on steam.

And here, I thought you were just going to yell "Blaspheeeeemer!" at him :-)

Apparently, I just cannot play fighting games online with this laptop; upgrading the RAM didn't help.

I've reinstalled the newest version of The Last Sovereign, but all my savegames are lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to start over.

Nex Xbox and Gears of War went straight on to make up for not beating it first time round.

I also installed Morrowind because I had it on the PC but at the time never gave playing much thought beyond sneaking into peoples houses, killing them and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. So I thought 'Let's actually do the missions."

Let's just say 'you can't go home again'. Ambitious but dated graphics and UI. Complete disparity between actions and stats meant combat was a case of my furious flurry of blows equaled no hits whatsoever. A draw distance measured in centimetres and constantly being thrown out of the immersion by textboxes. Oh Morrowind...you were mindblowing back in the day but that day is long gone. All we are is dust in the wind....

I also installed Morrowind because I had it on the PC but at the time never gave playing much thought beyond sneaking into peoples houses, killing them and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. So I thought 'Let's actually do the missions."

Let's just say 'you can't go home again'. Ambitious but dated graphics and UI. Complete disparity between actions and stats meant combat was a case of my furious flurry of blows equaled no hits whatsoever. A draw distance measured in centimetres and constantly being thrown out of the immersion by textboxes. Oh Morrowind...you were mindblowing back in the day but that day is long gone. All we are is dust in the wind....

The mistake you did here, was playing Morrowind on a console. On PC you can load it up with mods, to improve some of those outdated things.

But I'm horrible biased here, because I think Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game, even to this day. I regularly get the urge to replay it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back