The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have questions related to squad management. I just restarted and my new girls are at level 4. Should I use my precious tokens to rez my previous level 6 A-team or at least the ones with a lot of desirable traits? How many girls do you keep active in your stable?

Can you respec? I feel like I made a huge mistake giving my Blademaster accepting stance instead of side step with a healthy armor boost

If you have enough tokens to rez your A-team that's what I would do. However in the early game you can get away with not doing it all the time. They''ll stay in your cemetary until you do. So you could just rez the ones with a lot of desirable traits. There will come a time in the game though, there having the best Daughters you can are sort of required. So just have 5 daughters, (5 because the max party limit is 5), that are your A-team.
How many girls to have in your stable depends on how many missions you want to do in a day. If you want to do more than one, you'll need enough girls to field a party for each one. Daughters can only go on one mission a day. It of course also depends on how wounded the girls get or if any die. It's been a while since I played, but I think I never went above ten active girls.

There's no respec in the game. There's some Remembrances that give new Daughters a level boost though. So that's your best bet with that Blademaster.

Hope my answers help as it's been a while since I played. Even though I really like the game and would recommend it especially at 10 bucks. I do remember it getting a bit samey at some point. I handled that by taking breaks from playing it for a day or two to finish it. Hope you finish it too.

Hope my answers help as it's been a while since I played. Even though I really like the game and would recommend it especially at 10 bucks. I do remember it getting a bit samey at some point. I handled that by taking breaks from playing it for a day or two to finish it. Hope you finish it too.
Definitely worth it at 10 bucks. Not sure if I would have paid full price.

I am only rezzing my girls that have many desirable traits. Even though they are tough, I do every Rescue mission for the tokens. In fact, feel like it is advantageous to bang out every possible synapse so I am maintaining a stable of girls large enough to do that. Right now it's 7 10.

I learned not to be scared of bursting. Sometimes you just need to power thru and kill dudes.

I levelled another Blademaster for my A-team because I get a lot more mileage out of sidestep with 400 armor than accepting stance.

Last edited:
So I just completed Cyberpunk 2077. What an emotionally fulfilling experience!

It just so happens that I chose one of the happier endings.

I chose to team up with Panam and the Nomads. While grumpy at times, Panam was my favorite NPC. Fierce friendship and strong romantic connection. Decided to stay alive because as much I enjoyed being friends with Keanu Reeves, Johnny Silverhand was kind of an ASSHOLE.

I'm very glad that I went with this ending because I read up on the others and BOY do they depress me.

Anyway, I really recommend this game. It's still stuck in my head. I completed just about every single quest and made lots of NPC friends along the way (the end credits show you getting phone calls from allied NPCs). Very satisfying conclusion.

I want more though. So I'm going back to the Witcher 3, which I owned but never completed. I want more emotional connections with NPCs.

Great games.

I feel weirdly hollow since finishing the game. Like finishing a fantastic book and feeling sad it is over. I have no desire to play through it again knowing what happens and discovering the immersion-breaking barriers. Weird.

I feel weirdly hollow since finishing the game. Like finishing a fantastic book and feeling sad it is over. I have no desire to play through it again knowing what happens and discovering the immersion-breaking barriers. Weird.

Agreed, I felt the same way, and ended up with the same ending. But I was waiting for like another chapter or 20...it just seemed like I earned that, after dealing with all that bullshit, that I should get to see what happens as he rides off into the sunset...or sandstorm. Whatever.

Agreed, I felt the same way, and ended up with the same ending. But I was waiting for like another chapter or 20...it just seemed like I earned that, after dealing with all that bullshit, that I should get to see what happens as he rides off into the sunset...or sandstorm. Whatever.
I'm hoping for some more close connections to NPCs in the Witcher 3. I know that there are some friendships with Dandelion, Ciri, Yennifer and Triss. Can anyone tell me if there's some depth there? Do you get to go on missions with them? I know that there are romance options with Yen and Triss, but how good are they?

That's what made Cyberpunk 2077 memorable: the friendships that you make, the good writing and voice acting. I was actually quite touched by some of those interactions. Having dinner with River's family. Scuba diving with Judy, watching the stars with Panam. Great stuff!

I want more of that...

I'm hoping for some more close connections to NPCs in the Witcher 3. I know that there are some friendships with Dandelion, Ciri, Yennifer and Triss. Can anyone tell me if there's some depth there? Do you get to go on missions with them? I know that there are romance options with Yen and Triss, but how good are they?

That's what made Cyberpunk 2077 memorable: the friendships that you make, the good writing and voice acting. I was actually quite touched by some of those interactions. Having dinner with River's family. Scuba diving with Judy, watching the stars with Panam. Great stuff!

I want more of that...

Ciri, absolutely. There are different endings, but based on your playthrough of CP2077, I think you'll see the one I'm thinking of. Absolutely fantastic writing and emotional strings tugged every which way. Its a long game, but the ending made everything worth it :thumbsup:

With all the $hit talk about Cyberpunk 2077?
It still had an amazing story, with multiple endings that stick with you.
Oh, and that one with the bus. You know the one. That ending is a punishment.

I am giving Wildermyth a second chance and just don't get it. People have raved about this game and claim the language is "poetic" but the jarring dialogue is full of non-sequiturs and feels like it was either generated by a chatbot or translated from another language. Is there something I am missing? Here is a random sample of dialogue from 30 minutes in:

1678274705000.png

The Last Spell was finally was released yesterday. It combines a Final Fantasy Tactics-style RPG with base defense, squad management, satisfying meta-progression. and a solid soundtrack. I tried the game in 2021 during Early Access and am happy to say it is highly improved, mostly due to improved accessibility, balance, and UI. It's a tough game with a lot of moving parts but the tutorial and progression eases the player into the increasingly deep strategy. It's a good sign when I get the "one more level" syndrome from the good flow of the gameplay loop. I am at the point in my current run where every battle feels like it's going to be my last but I manage to snatch victory out of certain defeat and earn some hard-fought lessons for future fights; for me this is highly satisfying. Highly recommended.

Be advised this is a rogue-like in the same manner as Hades. You are expected to fail but every run gives meaningful progression so you are more powerful for the next one.

Edit: I should probably note that I am not very good at this game if Reddit and Steam comments are to be believed. I find myself constantly making mistakes in the nighttime battles and scrambling to make up for them during the daytime city management phase. It's rare for me to find a game where the learning curve and pace of progression synch up well enough that failure is a learning opportunity instead of frustrating.

Last edited:
I am giving Wildermyth a second chance and just don't get it. People have raved about this game and claim the language is "poetic" but the jarring dialogue is full of non-sequiturs and feels like it was either generated by a chatbot or translated from another language. Is there something I am missing? Here is a random sample of dialogue from 30 minutes in:

View attachment 57434

The number of actually well written video games can be counted on one hand imo. I don't usually take any claims of good writing seriously these days.

The number of actually well written video games can be counted on one hand imo. I don't usually take any claims of good writing seriously these days.
I mean, I could probably name enough for two hands, but I'm also in the industry and play a stupid amount of games. Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Metal Gear Solid 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Marvel's Spider-Man, Planescape: Torment, Spec Ops: The Line, Silent Hill 2, Bioshock, Dead Space...

But anyway, I actually just came to say that for a dumb phone time waster game, Marvel Snap is surprisingly good.

View attachment 57434
The strength of Wildermyth isn't in the dialogue writing, which is definitely not great, but in the fact that no run will ever be the same, as large portions of the character stories will always be procedurally generated. I find it a fun game, and an interesting experiment with procedurally generating story, but I would never call the writing of the actually words good. (I also find it is more fun multiplayer so that you experience it with someone else.)

I mean, I could probably name enough for two hands, but I'm also in the industry and play a stupid amount of games. Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Metal Gear Solid 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Marvel's Spider-Man, Planescape: Torment, Spec Ops: The Line, Silent Hill 2, Bioshock, Dead Space...

But anyway, I actually just came to say that for a dumb phone time waster game, Marvel Snap is surprisingly good.
I agree. Disco Elysium and Citizen Sleeper are also good examples, I think.

By the way, what do you folks think of Persona 5? I ask because I dislike it's writing (even if I like the game) but a friend said that kind of excessively verbose style is a cultural thing in Japan. I didn't put much faith in that theory seeing as other games from that culture have decent writing that's more on point.

I agree. Disco Elysium and Citizen Sleeper are also good examples, I think.

By the way, what do you folks think of Persona 5? I ask because I dislike it's writing (even if I like the game) but a friend said that kind of excessively verbose style is a cultural thing in Japan. I didn't put much faith in that theory seeing as other games from that culture have decent writing that's more on point.
Even for someone who likes the series, I think P5 had issues. It is paced really badly and is WAY longer than it needs to be. And the characters (outside of like 1 or 2) aren't as likeable as earlier entries.

Like, story and writing wise, I think 4 was better.

Oh yeah, Ryuji is cool. Forgot about him.

Good choices, I enjoyed those games but I'd have to replay them to say what I think of the quality of the writing.

To me there are two major aspects to the writing of a video game, the structure/plot and the dialogue. Characterization too of course but that is usually (but not always) carried by the dialogue.

The biggest downfall of even the best written games tends to be the dialogue which is often too broad, clumsy and obvious.

I tend to be pretty hard on dialogue in particular as I studied playwrighting in school. Even good novelists often can't write good dialogue either, it is a particular skill.

Most of my favourite games largely eschew dialogue: Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Journey, the Soulsborne games, etc.

This is a thing of beauty.
Not played the remake, but certainly the original, and can attest to the accuracy of this.

Wife and I finished the Solasta Lost Valley expansion Looks like a new high level expansion is set to release in May so probably pick that up.

Horizon Zero Dawn. Breathtaking visuals and animation. As a parent, I was stunned at the animation of the children. I’m liking this game so far, although just begun.
It and the sequel are both really really good.

I've been playing the RE4 Remake over the weekend. It is amazingly good. Unless something goes dramatically wrong in the last like, hour or so of the game I have left it is probably my favorite RE game of all time. (with only RE2R coming close.)

I've been playing the RE4 Remake over the weekend. It is amazingly good. Unless something goes dramatically wrong in the last like, hour or so of the game I have left it is probably my favorite RE game of all time. (with only RE2R coming close.)
Cool! I had played the shit outta that game back in the Game Cube days. Like, accomplished everything possible. I wonder if I’d be competent at this remake…

Cool! I had played the shit outta that game back in the Game Cube days. Like, accomplished everything possible. I wonder if I’d be competent at this remake…
I loved the gamecube version. Until this remake though the Wii version was my preferred way to play. Yes it made the game WAY easier, but man, it was one of the few games that I really felt used the wiimote well, and the aiming was so fun.

At this point though, I doubt I'll ever play OG RE4 again at this point. There are a few things that are missing that I am a little bit sad about such as,
The U-3 fight
and they made Leon a LITTLE less goofy one liner central (he does still have some, but none like the "Your right hand comes off?" line. (He does still say the "Where's everyone going, bingo?" line though, and there are a few new one-liners that weren't in the original)).

Overall though, the changes have been straight upgrades. The controls are more fun, the atmosphere is more eerie and stressful (in the good ways that a survival horror game should be), Luis and Ashley are both more interesting and likeable characters, etc, etc, etc.

Just bought a Nintendo Switch and Breath of the Wild as been meaning to pick it up for ages and the new Zelda game coming out has sorta got me fired up.

Holy shit, what a gorgeous game! Lovin' it so far.

Playing Tails of Iron on PSPlus. Essentially a mouse fantasy 2D scroller take on Dark Souls although more forgiving than that series. It's fun and has lots of clever touches in the visual design and world-building.

My wife is playing the Resident Evil 4 remake and Phantom Breaker Omnia.

kurimi.gif

I'm having a blast currently with Spellforce: Conquest Of Eo and Everspace 2.

Especially Conquest Of Eo has the strongest "just one more turn" I have experienced in many years, there's just so much to discover mechanics-wise in that game.

I'm having a blast currently with Spellforce: Conquest Of Eo and Everspace 2.

Especially Conquest Of Eo has the strongest "just one more turn" I have experienced in many years, there's just so much to discover mechanics-wise in that game.

How is Everspace 2? I played the first one, but haven't laid down the coin for #2...

Nioh 2: Owned it for over a year, only now finally getting to it. Trying a ninja build which I shied away from in the first game.

World of Horror: New update dropped, so trying to get the new content unlocked.

Fallout 4: Back to the Commonwealth yet again. Enclave vs Legion themed this time.

How is Everspace 2? I played the first one, but haven't laid down the coin for #2...
I like it so far.
It is fairly unique in its RPG-open-world-story-spaceship approach.

It very much seems to be a game that can be finished (though in what time I have no idea) and much less of a semi-eternal grind like the first one.

Been loving the hell out of Old World. Best civ alike since Alpha Centauri (including all the Civs in between IMHO).

Not sure if anyone else plays Marvel Snap, but I've been having fun running a meme deck for today's featured location (this deck would never work in any other situation).
1683504173596.png

I played it for a while, but it became sort of boring.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back