There isn't really a D&D JRPG setting, is there?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
There isn't really a D&D JRPG setting, is there? Not really, not exactly, as far as I've seen. Sure, there appear to be settings for other RPGs that feel a bit like JRPGs, but you'd have to adapt a lot to run them under D&D.

I guess there's Forcelia, which started as a D&D setting, but it also predates a lot of what makes JPRGs different from standard D&D settings, so it doesn't feel that different from stuff like Greyhawk.

It seems like an odd omission. We've got three dozen D&D-oriented settings for grimdark fantasy, but no one's really taken the plunge into brightly-colored console weirdness?

I feel like I'm missing something. Are my internet search skills just weak?

That's a good point. I can't think of any. A dozen steampunk settings but no real jrpg. Something like Octopath Traveler could be fun.

There are also several anime and manga that are very D&Dish - you'd think that someone would turn one into a D&D book or at least mash several shows together to an unauthorized setting.

Other than art, what elements would a setting need to capture the feel of jrpgs?

Other than art, what elements would a setting need to capture the feel of jrpgs?

Very good question. I guess that's when you start selecting specific games or subgenres of JPRG to emulate and try to stick close to them. A world based on the general vibes of Final Fantasy X is going to be quite different from one emulating Tales of Berseria, but either of them would be very distinct from most other D&D settings on offer.

One of the things in many fantasy anime is lots of intelligent species mixed in without a ton of animosity and no alignment restrictions. You could have half ogres, dwarves, goblins, slimes, and demons in the same party.

I remembered that there is Uresia, which has an intentionally anime feel. I believe it has versions only for BESM and system neutral.

I think very high magic is one big requirement.
It's not like the default in 5e is low magic, though:thumbsup:.

There isn't really a D&D JRPG setting, is there? Not really, not exactly, as far as I've seen. Sure, there appear to be settings for other RPGs that feel a bit like JRPGs, but you'd have to adapt a lot to run them under D&D.

I guess there's Forcelia, which started as a D&D setting, but it also predates a lot of what makes JPRGs different from standard D&D settings, so it doesn't feel that different from stuff like Greyhawk.

It seems like an odd omission. We've got three dozen D&D-oriented settings for grimdark fantasy, but no one's really taken the plunge into brightly-colored console weirdness?

I feel like I'm missing something. Are my internet search skills just weak?
Sword World? Or is that the Forcelia setting that you mention?

I think very high magic is one big requirement.

Sort of! From the media I've seen (Record of Lodoss War, Berzerk), magic users are exceptionally rare, but do EPIC spells that can destroy cities.

Japanese stories like this tend to have little gradual slopes in power. Characters go from "small fireball" or "minor illusion" to "I SET THE CITY ON FIRE". There's little in between.

I blame DragonBall for this ridiculous trend in escalation.

In most JRPGs I've played, all the characters have "magic." It may not be explicitly called whatever the magic in the game is, but it's functionally magic. It tends to be very readily useable and gets powerful quickly.

You do have a stretch where you're fighting what I'd call boring regular D&D monsters like orcs and goblins. But the game quickly escalates to far more exotic creatures.

Many JRPGs mix traditional fantasy with technology. FF6 mixes fantasy with steampunk. Phantasy Star mixes fantasy with space opera tech. Hyperdimension Neptunia glosses over whatever the fuck it is with tech sensibilities and maybe a little dash of Tron. But generally speaking, if you're emulating JRPGs, it's not a bad idea to toss in some future tech especially after the characters grow out of the starter dungeon areas.

In most JRPGs I've played, all the characters have "magic." It may not be explicitly called whatever the magic in the game is, but it's functionally magic. It tends to be very readily useable and gets powerful quickly.

You do have a stretch where you're fighting what I'd call boring regular D&D monsters like orcs and goblins. But the game quickly escalates to far more exotic creatures.

Many JRPGs mix traditional fantasy with technology. FF6 mixes fantasy with steampunk. Phantasy Star mixes fantasy with space opera tech. Hyperdimension Neptunia glosses over whatever the fuck it is with tech sensibilities and maybe a little dash of Tron. But generally speaking, if you're emulating JRPGs, it's not a bad idea to toss in some future tech especially after the characters grow out of the starter dungeon areas.
From this description, you don't need D&D, you need RuneQues/Mythras. Sounds like the default settings, if you add some quick power-bumps:grin:!

Now that I think of it, weren't we discussing recentyl that CoC is the most popular system in Japan:shade:?

Guy with anime avatar doesn't think think all the anime-influenced art in 5e comes "even close" to a JRPG setting. Who could've guessed?

Hey. I wasn't sniping at you. I was just being flippant. If offense was taken, I offer a sincere apology.

But beyond that, yeah, I've watched a bit of anime and played a few JRPGs. I honestly don't see much stylistic similarity between the art in 5e and anime and/or JPRGs. If you put them beside art from Shining Resonance, Dragon Warrior XI, Xenosaga, Star Ocean, or Valkyria Chronicles, I just don't see much of any resemblance.

Hey. I wasn't sniping at you. I was just being flippant. If offense was taken, I offer a sincere apology.

But beyond that, yeah, I've watched a bit of anime and played a few JRPGs. I honestly don't see much stylistic similarity between the art in 5e and anime and/or JPRGs. If you put them beside art from Shining Resonance, Dragon Warrior XI, Xenosaga, Star Ocean, or Valkyria Chronicles, I just don't see much of any resemblance.
Nah, I was trying to be funny. How JRPG like current 5e is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, so that avatar was an easy joke. No worries.

Just so. If Break!! ever gets released it'll be perfect for this. Previews even show the possibility of isekai human PCs.

Just so. If Break!! ever gets released it'll be perfect for this. Previews even show the possibility of isekai human PCs.
Not sure what "Break!" is, but there's already an Isekai game named Vital Hearts. I am a KS backer, but I think it's already available at Drivethru.

Japanese RPG, typically in the assumed cliché manner of console RPGs from the 8-bit to 32-bit eras. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are the most common models.

Just make all the PCs isekai protagonists dropped into a D&D setting and you're golden.

50021091601_3be5046788_z.jpg

And since it's vaguely on topic, I'm going to use the opportunity to vent about this.

I remember buying Suikoden 3 back in the day. Suikoden 3 had this cool looking knight chick. I wanted to play her and find out what her story was.

So, I got the game, and it allows the player to choose to start with one of three characters. Well, that isn't even a question. I'm gonna pick the cool knight chick who I bought the game for!

And the storyline bits for her were some of the most BLAH BLAH BLAH bullshit I've ever seen in a JRPG. But that's nothing to what came next. I FINALLY got to some gameplay. I finally got to get into a fight. What would this cool knight chick fight? Would I start with orcs? Goblins? Hell, I'll take a kobold! Just anything to get me away from the story sequences.

Weeds.

Yep. Weeds. The game made me fight weeds.

At first, I thought I had just got a bad random encounter. Maybe I had just gotten a stupid monster spawn. Twenty fights later... still fighting weeds.

And I don't think they were one hit kills either. I think it took the mainline fighters two or three swings to kill a single weed, and they'd attack in groups of 6.

Eventually I got sick of doing lawn work, quit the game, and never played again.

There's zero to hero, and then there's fighting weeds for hours.

I'll take that over fighting generic RPG rats any day.

I'll tell you what, having pet rats with huge distinct personalities crammed into two years of lifespan and a brain the size of a bean makes you re-examine the value of all life, ayup.

There isn't really a D&D JRPG setting, is there?

No but there should be! A JRPG setting is a great fit for 5e 1-20, zero to superhero play.

And since it's vaguely on topic, I'm going to use the opportunity to vent about this.

I remember buying Suikoden 3 back in the day. Suikoden 3 had this cool looking knight chick. I wanted to play her and find out what her story was.

So, I got the game, and it allows the player to choose to start with one of three characters. Well, that isn't even a question. I'm gonna pick the cool knight chick who I bought the game for!

And the storyline bits for her were some of the most BLAH BLAH BLAH bullshit I've ever seen in a JRPG. But that's nothing to what came next. I FINALLY got to some gameplay. I finally got to get into a fight. What would this cool knight chick fight? Would I start with orcs? Goblins? Hell, I'll take a kobold! Just anything to get me away from the story sequences.

Weeds.

Yep. Weeds. The game made me fight weeds.

At first, I thought I had just got a bad random encounter. Maybe I had just gotten a stupid monster spawn. Twenty fights later... still fighting weeds.

And I don't think they were one hit kills either. I think it took the mainline fighters two or three swings to kill a single weed, and they'd attack in groups of 6.

Eventually I got sick of doing lawn work, quit the game, and never played again.

Well, at least you know what the devs were smoking!

We should make one here at the Pub! Our combined anime knowledge, obsession with food and alcohol, and incomprehensible in-jokes all poured into the most ridiculously anime setting for 5E!

We should make one here at the Pub! Our combined anime knowledge, obsession with food and alcohol, and incomprehensible in-jokes all poured into the most ridiculously anime setting for 5E!

Shit, we already know how that would end...

EDIT: Huh, apparently this innocuous clipshow is flagged as adult content on youtube for some reason.

The random boob shot at the beginning startled me. Given that it's a japanese advertisement, I'm not sure how I was caught off guard.

Well it's kinda weird Shipyard's video was flagged as adult , but apparently this one is fine, up to and including the magical laser cock in the middle.

Here's a nice, innocent palette cleanser at least...

Many JRPGs mix traditional fantasy with technology.
That's one of the notable elements... airships, mecha, gates to other worlds, crashed spaceships. Even the towns, which have a sort of faux Renn-fair appearance, seem like they're higher tech than they first appear. No attempt at all to be 'Medieval-Authentic'.

Also, not grimdark...

I think the whole "magitek" thing is probably the most consistent thing in JRPGs. That and absurd levels of upper power.

You definitely need to break from the "what real humans can do" to feel right to me. Insane leap distances, inhuman toughness/strength, etc.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back