Thoughts on Initiative Rules in RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

SavAce

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
For whatever reason I've been thinking about Initiative rules in RPGs lately and wondered what other people thought. I don't have 1 way of doing initiative that I universally prefer, but there are thoughts...

1. D&D 5e: All PCs have individual initiative based on a Dex modified d20 roll (possibly modified by a Feat or Class Feature). Initiative stays the same throughout the conflict. High initiative goes 1st, and you declare your action and perform it all on your turn with only a couple exceptions (Every character gets up to one "Reaction" per round, a small set of things they can do when it is not their turn. A character can "Ready" an action on their turn, allowing them to set conditions where they can do their on turn action as their reaction instead).
Thoughts: This is what I consider a pretty normal initiative system. It doesn't really do anything for me, but it gets the job done. I think its main advantage is that it is pretty quick. I do prefer it to identical initiative systems that have players roll initiative every round. While having initiative fixed for the whole conflict makes that part of the conflict predictable, I don't think the gain of having initiative more unpredictable outweighs the disadvantage of adding an extra step to every round in this system. The fact that initiative is rolled on a d20 does make the character's influence on the roll less significant than if you were to roll a smaller sized die (such as the d6 rolled by basic Dungeons & Dragons, for example.)

2. Street Fighter (White Wolf): All characters choose maneuvers in secret that have a fixed speed (usually determined by a character's Dexterity, modified by the specific maneuver, though that fixed speed can be modified by a maneuver being in a combo, or lower due to being knocked down the previous round, etc.). All characters announce their Speed. Characters with higher Speed may choose to go immediately, or wait for a character of lower speed to go 1st, with the possibility of interrupting them at any point along the way. The actual name of the maneuver being performed only need be named after the movement has been done. Characters choose new maneuvers each round.
Thoughts: I love Street Fighter, and this initiative system usually works just fine, though it gets more complicated to keep track of as more participants are involved in a conflict and interrupts start flying everywhere. On the positive side, it creates a tactical feel unlike any I have seen in other initiative systems. You learn to guess what maneuver may be coming based on announced speed. You try to get slower, heavier landing moves to hit by placing them in combos and/or after blocks where they can be faster. Perhaps you have a couple maneuvers that go off on the same Speed (initiative count), and can turn the situation into a guessing game for your opponent, etc. It is interesting in being an initiative system that is not random.

3. DC Heroes: All characters roll 1d10 and add it to their Initiative score, which is the sum of their 3 "Action" attributes (Dexterity, Intelligence, Influence), possibly modified by powers (such as Super Speed), Advantages (such as Lightning Reflexes) or Skills (such as Martial Arts). Once initiative is determined, actions are declared, starting with the lowest initiative going to the highest. Then, actions are resolved starting with the highest initiative going to the lowest. Hero Points may be spent to increase a character's initiative on a 1 to 1 basis. Initiative is rolled each round.
Thoughts: This initiative system grants a pretty solid advantage to those with higher initiative than some other systems do because those with higher initiative know the intent of those lower in the initiative count before they have to announce and execute their actions. The fact that initiative is determined freshly each round, and that declaration of actions is a separate phase from resolution of actions does slow it all down a bit. There is something I like about the separate declaration & execution phases, though, as opposed to a system like D&D 5e that relies on characters holding their action in some way to interrupt people below them in the initiative order. Somewhat unrelated, I just love Hero Points in this game, and you can feel free to blow some if you need Initiative that bad...

4. Dungeons & Dragons (B/X): There is a turn structure for exploration. In the course of exploration the characters may encounter creatures (mutually noticing each other, or one side or the other being surprised/unaware). The party may decide to fight, talk, evade, or wait. Assuming no surprise and a desire to fight, each side of a conflict rolls 1d6, the side the side that rolls highest gets to act first. Initiative is rolled every round. Ties are either resolved simultaneously or are rolled off. (There are optional rules for "pair combat" where initiative is determined per character, 1d6 plus Dexterity Modifier, with the same situation in the case of ties.) During a side's turn, they resolve their actions in the following order: Morale checks, Movement, Missile Fire, Magic Spells, Melee.
Thoughts: I'm a big fan of the classic 10 minute turn structure in old D&D and also how it relates to combat. Seeing as the default rules have no modifiers to initiative, it is quick to resolve from that perspective, even if it is rolled each round. At least it is only rolled per side and not for every individual participant. One thing I like about side-based initiative versus individual initiative is that players tend to face each round more as a team. They form up, determine the play and run it. The order of phases in a round seems to lead to smoother play than if everyone on a side just went when they wanted regardless of what they were doing, if anything just because it removes the decision point. If there is anything bad about this initiative system, maybe it is just that it is completely random in determining order. There is a kind of coolness to the possibility of simultaneous rounds that could possibly lead to both sides completely taking each other out, however. Not many systems I can think of where that can happen.

5. Marvel Super Heroes: The GM decides what he would like his characters to do, taking notes if necessary. The Players decide and announce what each of their characters would like to do. The GM announces what his characters plan to do. Each side rolls 1d10, modified by the highest Intuition value on each team. After initiative is determined, pre-action rolls may be done (for example, for those attempting to change their action after initiative is determined, or they are rolling to determine the effect of defensive actions, rolling to see if they are able to perform multiple attacks if declared, etc.) Then the side that has won initiative may resolve its actions in any order it pleases (holding action and interrupting later if desired), followed by the losing side performing their actions.
Thoughts: Like older Dungeons & Dragons, this is a side-based initiative system. It feels quite a bit different though, as everyone announces all of what they are doing before initiative is rolled. The way characters can chose to take defensive actions, or roll to attempt multiple actions and so on all combine to make it feel less regimented than older D&D, and a bit more individual. Something about an initiative system where you must declare action separate from the execution of an action (which this system shares with DC Heroes) has an appeal to me because it means you can choose poorly and it feels like a tactical consideration that systems that don't separate declaration and execution lack. I like my RPG combat to feel tactical most of the time (unless I'm full on story gaming, in which case I want it to do that, not some bland thing that does neither). This system is OK, though the pre-action rolls phase is a little odd and takes remembering for me. That pre-action roll phase does add some fun opportunities for gambling though, with the multiple actions or defensive stuff. Stress filled gambling is another feeling I like in an RPG combat.

6. Apocalypse World 2nd Edition: Initiative is determined by the story. If someone says they do something, they have seized the initiative and done it. All characters should get turns as makes sense in the fiction.
Thoughts: I think this can work well for the purpose of telling stories. If players are all cool and aiming for an honest read of the fictional situation this kind of "well, things happen as they make sense" system can feel much more natural and less "game" than other systems. It's actually the "initiative system" most games use for the bulk of activity that occurs in them outside of combat. Basically, the advantage is the natural flow that can happen with a group, but the disadvantage is that in a contentious situation it can devolve into GM fiat. If you're looking for a game where combat is a tactical game within the game, this doesn't serve that desire so well.

Anyways, I could go on further, for example the system in Riddle of Steel is a different take, I'd have to take a dive looking for different takes in others. Do you have any preferences in your Initiative systems, or do you just want any ol' way to decide who goes 1st that is easy? Any games you think do something interesting with the idea (whether you are fond of them or not)?

4. Dungeons & Dragons (B/X): There is a turn structure for exploration. In the course of exploration the characters may encounter creatures (mutually noticing each other, or one side or the other being surprised/unaware). The party may decide to fight, talk, evade, or wait. Assuming no surprise and a desire to fight, each side of a conflict rolls 1d6, the side the side that rolls highest gets to act first. Initiative is rolled every round. Ties are either resolved simultaneously or are rolled off. (There are optional rules for "pair combat" where initiative is determined per character, 1d6 plus Dexterity Modifier, with the same situation in the case of ties.) During a side's turn, they resolve their actions in the following order: Morale checks, Movement, Missile Fire, Magic Spells, Melee.
Thoughts: I'm a big fan of the classic 10 minute turn structure in old D&D and also how it relates to combat. Seeing as the default rules have no modifiers to initiative, it is quick to resolve from that perspective, even if it is rolled each round. At least it is only rolled per side and not for every individual participant. One thing I like about side-based initiative versus individual initiative is that players tend to face each round more as a team. They form up, determine the play and run it. The order of phases in a round seems to lead to smoother play than if everyone on a side just went when they wanted regardless of what they were doing, if anything just because it removes the decision point. If there is anything bad about this initiative system, maybe it is just that it is completely random in determining order. There is a kind of coolness to the possibility of simultaneous rounds that could possibly lead to both sides completely taking each other out, however. Not many systems I can think of where that can happen.

My Fudge/Fate hacks like Cyberblues City all use team-based rolled each turn initiative. I love the speed and unpredictability that comes from it but I had never considered the additional advantage of how it encouranges team work, so thank you for that observation. In my system I just roll 1d6, odd monsters go first, even PCs go first, no need for two rolls or ad-hoc rules for ties. Additionally on a roll of 1 the monsters get a bonus (an additional monster joins the fray, or one you though defeated gets back up) while on a 6 the PC get a +1 to all actions that turn. It is wild, swingy and gamesy but it is a lot of fun.

5. Marvel Super Heroes: The GM decides what he would like his characters to do, taking notes if necessary. The Players decide and announce what each of their characters would like to do. The GM announces what his characters plan to do. Each side rolls 1d10, modified by the highest Intuition value on each team. After initiative is determined, pre-action rolls may be done (for example, for those attempting to change their action after initiative is determined, or they are rolling to determine the effect of defensive actions, rolling to see if they are able to perform multiple attacks if declared, etc.) Then the side that has won initiative may resolve its actions in any order it pleases (holding action and interrupting later if desired), followed by the losing side performing their actions.

I really enjoyed running MSH initiative by the book. The fog of war element, the occasional wasted turns (for both PC and NPCs) I think added a lot to the comicbook flavour. The impression I get however is a lot groups just ignored this bit.

Also. a nod tp Savage Worlds card based initiative is warranted. I've only played it a little and I was a little suspicious at first but it worked really well, reducing bookeeping while at the same time add some fun enhancements.

I'm a fan of how initiative works in Twilight 2000 (2.0). Actions can happen simultaneously and faster people can do more. If I get a chance I will dig out the book and write a better synopsis. As I'm not doing it justice here.

D.C. Heroes, as mentioned, has a great initiative system that allows for the character who should go first most of the time getting to go first most of the time, but the 1d10 roll giving a character a chance to beat someone who's usually faster, or burning up Hero Points when you desperately need to go first.

Flashing Blades makes it important how fast you are but also what type of weapon you are using, which is nice as the game emphasizes exciting combat: https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/lets-read-flashing-blades-from-fantasy-games-unlimited.1395/

Boot Hill is similar in that your personal speed and bravery plus choice of weapon determines how fast you'll pop off your shot relative to someone else. I recommend writing down your First Shot Determination with every weapon you carry so you don't need to calculate anything in the midst of a game. The referee should keep a list of the
First Shot Determinations for the PCs and any NPCs who might conceivably get involved in a battle. A couple of minutes doing this in advance of the game will save a ton of time and frustration later.

James Bond 007 is pretty slick as well. The character with the highest Speed declares his action last, allowing him the advantage of knowing what the slower characters are doing before he makes his declaration, and once an action has been declared you have to carry through and can't change your mind. (Ties are resolved by rolling a d6.) The sequence of actions continues throughout the battle so you only need to resolve it once. The only exception I recall is when two characters have a shootout and neither has fired yet; this is termed "the draw" and who shoots first is determined by each character rolling a d6 and adding the result to his Speed score: higher goes first. (Another benefit of a high Speed is you can fire more times per round than slower characters.)

Last edited:
I like DC Heroes the best. The fastest character isn't always the one to win initiative, because your Intelligence and Influence are just as important.

I like DC Heroes the best. The fastest character isn't always the one to win initiative, because your Intelligence and Influence are just as important.
Minor quibble: the most dexterous character doesn't go first, the fastest character still does as the game recognizes that your mental (and spiritual) attributes play a part in alacrity as much as coordination does. (And even then the d10 roll and expenditure of Hero Points can counteract it.)

I guess, but a character's speed is based on his Dexterity in the game, not on any other attributes. So really the fastest character doesn't even win initiative most of the time. I'm not sure what you would call it.

fate of the norns: ragnarok - tiles are drawn with the names of everyone participating on it and laid out in order of draw. initiative order can be manipulated via various abilities. there are multiple action cycles for various things (wyrd, upkeep, actions, cleanup), and these can alter orders.

For my own game, I burned the names of the characters and then more generic ones for NPCs into small wooden plaques with a stylized norse rune font.

5QzJRRA.jpg

With more time, a few more initiative systems come to mind...

7. Mythras: All participants roll 1d10 plus their Initiative Bonus (Average of Dex & Int) - any Initiative Penalty for Armor/Encumbrance. In any round, participants may use a number of Action Points equal to ([Dex + Int]/12, round up). Characters take Proactive Actions on their turn for a cost of 1 Action Point, though they may delay and conserve the Action Point for Reactive Actions later in the round (some actions, such as magic, can require more than one APs worth of time to pass, and so may go off on a players turn in a later cycle or round). A character may use an Action Point at any time to make a Reactive Action (usually to defend themselves).
Thoughts: In many ways this initiative system is not that different from some others I've already listed, except for one thing. It is the first system that explicitly has characters with more actions available to them in a round than others. Actually, D&D 5e has a variety of Class Abilities and some Feats that grant various characters more actions in a round than others, and Monsters, especially higher level ones with Lair & Legendary Actions really mess with the "Action Economy". In D&D 5e, however, these extra actions are somewhat conditional based on the situation, where as in Mythras extra Action Points are not particularly contingent upon particular circumstances for their use. Extra actions in the other games I've described either are not available, or they require some sort of test (MSH) or trade off in accuracy (DC Heroes Multi-Attack), etc. I have a preference for Mythras style combat over D&D 5e, but I'm not sure how much the initiative system plays into that. I believe I mostly feel that way based on Mythras's more down to earth power levels, lack of level based progression, it's more tactical feel in a 1 vs. 1 situation, and a slight distaste for latter-day D&D's style of "Cool Powers". In any event, it seems like you'll want to build your combat focused character towards having 3AP...

8. Feng Shui 2: All participants roll 1d6 plus their Speed value, this determines each characters starting Shot. The participant who rolled the highest begins the round on their Shot, where they can take an action with a certain shot cost. Most attacks cost 3 shots, though special abilities and various defenses have varying shot costs. Ties resolve as PCs before NPCs, and otherwise from the GM's left to right. For example, if the character with the highest initiative has a 14 and they take a 3 shot action on 14, they will not be able to act again until shot 11 (except to take certain defensive actions, which further reduce the shot on which the character may act.) After all characters on a certain shot have acted, the GM checks again running down the shot clock for the round. At the end of the round, initiative is rolled again.
Thoughts: This is another initiative system where characters can have more or less actions per round. The way the game is built, however, starting characters have a Speed between 5 and 9, and so certain characters will tend to have an extra action over others, but it is within the swing of the Initiative die roll. I like the possibilities of this shot-style system of initiative, but I don't know how well Feng Shui explores the possibilities. Feng Shui is more about looking super cool than it is about careful tactical play, but the way you can eat up your shots defending against multiple attackers and so on still feels pretty neat overall. You really do need to track characters on a shot clock of some kind to keep things straight, but if you manage to do that then it can be a fairly speedy system.

9. Champions 3rd Edition: Oh man. Each Turn has 12 Segments, and characters can act a number of Phases equal to their Speed. Base Speed is calculated as Dexterity/10 (round down), though Speed itself may be purchased higher. By default, the Segments a character takes a Phase on is shown on a chart. Rounds begin on Segment 12, where any character who can act on Segment 12 takes an action, with ties being resolved in order of who has the highest Dexterity (ties roll off with a d6). After Segment 12, all characters can take their post Segment 12 recoveries, and the conflict resumes on Segment 1, counting up to 12, with characters taking actions (phases) on the segments they are allowed to based on their Speed. Actions can be delayed to a later segment, but if you delay your action all of the way until a segment where you would get another action, that delayed action is lost (you can not perform 2 actions in 1 segment or have more than 1 action in store). I have to say, I feel like I am explaining this poorly!
Thoughts: I backed the Kickstarter for "Champions Now" based on Ron Edwards' enthusiasm, and it sounds like the system is interesting in how there is a trade off potentially in how much Endurance you are burning using your powers vs. how often you get to use them per round, and which phases you maybe decide to take a recovery rather than attack, etc. I'm really hoping that is cool. That said, I have no experience with this system and it sure seems like it all could have been designed in a cleaner way. It sounds like many people back in the day and with newer editions tended towards ignoring Endurance cost or buying it away, which would seem to make this a more "If you have more actions, that is a vast advantage" kind of game to an extent. Without some experience, there is little more I can say.

The best thing about initiative systems is that they are often (not always) one of the easiest things to hack or house-rule, so I tend not to be too picky to begin with, knowing I can probably tweak things as we go. I'm less patient with hyper-detailed / realistic systems than I used to be, as I prefer just to get right to it. My favorite ones probably involve adding a die roll to an attribute, as I like a random-but-not-too-random approach. I also prefer to reroll at the start of every round, as I like the unpredictability of it, but I can live without that if the rest of the group refers to roll once at the beginning of combat and then just keep that order from round to round.

I'm an oddball on initiative (and pretty much everything else) in that I like every combatant to roll initiative, and only the winner attacks. Initiative doesnt determine order. It simply determines who's acting in this moment. Once the winner executes his action, initiative is rolled again. Doesnt work well will all systems and certain players are not amused (the cursed dice players), but thats my deal.

In Golden Heroes each side rolls a ten-sider and the higher roll wins initiative. Where it gets interesting is that the winners of initiative gets from 1 to 4 frames (depending on how much they won the roll by) where that side can act before the losers gets an opportunity to respond by using their frames, and then the winners gets to use the remainder of their frames after that. Winning initiative by a lot can mean your side could have up to eight frames in which to take actions while the other side only gets four frames in between. You roll Initiative again at the start of each round.

In Golden Heroes each side rolls a ten-sider and the higher roll wins initiative. Where it gets interesting is that the winners of initiative gets from 1 to 4 frames (depending on how much they won the roll by) where that side can act before the losers gets an opportunity to respond by using their frames, and then the winners gets to use the remainder of their frames after that. Winning initiative by a lot can mean your side could have up to eight frames in which to take actions while the other side only gets four frames in between. You roll Initiative again at the start of each round.
I recently picked up Golden Heroes in an eBay splurge and it would be interesting to see how this initiative system plays out. Given how certain actions require 2 consecutive frames to execute, I can imagine times you wouldn't particularly want to win 1 frame of initiative before your opponents, or at the very least it might change your plans. Other times the 1 frame might be nice, say, to activate a power and use the two consecutive frames later for a full action, etc.

I recently picked up Golden Heroes in an eBay splurge and it would be interesting to see how this initiative system plays out. Given how certain actions require 2 consecutive frames to execute, I can imagine times you wouldn't particularly want to win 1 frame of initiative before your opponents, or at the very least it might change your plans. Other times the 1 frame might be nice, say, to activate a power and use the two consecutive frames later for a full action, etc.
Have you read https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/lets...s-the-role-playing-game-of-super-heroes.1130/ ? :wink:

(Also, we have been taking about trying a Golden Heroes play-by-post here.)

In Outlaws of the Water Margin, all combat rolls are made at once, and the highest roll acts first.

There's also my initiative rules, which goes as follows: first, go around the table and shout "WAKE UP!!! It's your turn! What do you do?" at each player in alphabetic order. Then, have all the NPCs act in whichever order you damn well please.

I suppose one might call it initiative rules for people who really don't see the point of initiative rules... :tongue:

I should also mention Against the Dark Yogi, where the person who initiates combat acts first, and after each person (player or GM) has acted, he or she chooses who among those who have not yet acted this round will act next. The last person to act in a round chooses the first person to act in the next round.

It saves on the rolling, I suppose, but I think I'd lose track of who had and had not acted this turn pretty quickly.

I think I prefer Runequest's Strike Rank to Mythras. It is based on SIZ, DEX and weapon length, modified by movement and surprise. Strike Rank is recorded on the character sheet and once determined is quite fast. The steps in initiative are:

1. First Phase - Statement of Intent.
2. Second Phase - Movement of Non-Engaged Characters.
3. Third Phase - Resolution of Melee, Missiles, and Spells

Shadowrun 2 and 3e totalled many dice and a modifier to determine initiative... Fastest went first then subtracted 10. Next highest then went. If next highest was your new value... You went again.
It tried to replicate superspeed, I think, for enhanced characters.

TRoS does it just great. At the beginning of your turn, you both roll a red or white die. If one rolls red and the other white, the red one attacks. If both roll white, they circle a bit. If both roll red, they roll attacks that are resolved simultaneously, and mostly unopposed:smile:.
A successful defence that's not jumping out allows you to take the initiative.

ORE also has a great approach. The same roll determines your attack, defence and initiative, and inititiative might mean you can't be stopped as you acted too quickly for other people to react...
There's a reason they call it the One-Roll Engine:wink:.

Pendragon also has great initiative, in a way. What it means is that you roll opposed rolls, and whoever wins, deals damage. (Both succeeding, but one of them having better success, means the loser gets to reduce the damage).
I mean, it's assumed you're both attacking and defending, as fights actually tend to go anyway. So let's cut the details and see what happened:grin:!

I think I prefer Runequest's Strike Rank to Mythras. It is based on SIZ, DEX and weapon length, modified by movement and surprise. Strike Rank is recorded on the character sheet and once determined is quite fast. The steps in initiative are:

1. First Phase - Statement of Intent.
2. Second Phase - Movement of Non-Engaged Characters.
3. Third Phase - Resolution of Melee, Missiles, and Spells

This brings up an interesting very detailed difference between them, and perhaps Voros Voros or someone else can remind me with Runequest 1/2/7. In Mythras, the weapon length does not modify the initiative - initiative is strictly the opportunity to act, and thus weapon length factors in in other areas (moving in on someone with a longer weapon length can get you attacked). How does RQ1/2/7 handle active actions that are not weapon-length related, like casting a spell or drawing a potion or weapon? Flat modifier based on action type?

Siz was never a part I was particularly fond of. I get where they are going, emulating reach of larger things, but also sort of specifically implies that you are in melee combat.

ORE also has a great approach. The same roll determines your attack, defence and initiative, and inititiative might mean you can't be stopped as you acted too quickly for other people to react...
There's a reason they call it the One-Roll Engine:wink:.
It's a great system. Everyone rolls a pool of up to 10 dice at the beginning of the round, and sets of the same number count as potential actions. The more dice in the set, the sooner it happens, with the actual number on the dice in the set being the success level. You can use your sets for actions or to counter others actions.

The only issue for me is that it is a system that works best when everyone is sitting at the same table, able to see each others sets and reacting to each other. Now that I do most of my gaming by video chat, some of the strengths of the system are lost. Savage Worlds has the same issue to a lesser degree. When playing live with people, dealing the cards and exchanging bennies is tactile and fun, but it loses a lot in video chat when I am dealing all the cards out and calling the results to people. It still works fine, but it is no longer an exceptional system.

When I want back and ran B/X again ten years ago, group initiative was one of those things that seemed like an obvious case of dumbing things down to keep it simple. I decided to stick by the book for the first session, but expected to toss it out quickly.

I was surprised at how it had the effect you describe of making players more a team. In RPG combat, there is that disconnect of every PC being isolated in their own turn. It makes it hard to coordinate and leads to even engaged players' attentions waning a little. With group initiative, everyone stays much more focused during combat, and they come up with more interesting tactics. I ended up really liking it.

King Arthur Pendragon has no initiative system. The contested attack rolls determines who strikes each turn - the winner applies the damage, the loser soaks it up.

In Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, a referee has to spend a dice from their 'doom pool' in order to have a NPC go first or simply choose one PC to go first. That player then resolves all their actions in their turn using their dicepool dice with resisted actions from others accordingly, before nominating another player to go next.

A lot of games seem to include initiative systems out of lazy convention, rather than system necessity. A lot of games, for myself most of the WoD games actually, simply don't need the extra roll.

This brings up an interesting very detailed difference between them, and perhaps Voros Voros or someone else can remind me with Runequest 1/2/7. In Mythras, the weapon length does not modify the initiative - initiative is strictly the opportunity to act, and thus weapon length factors in in other areas (moving in on someone with a longer weapon length can get you attacked). How does RQ1/2/7 handle active actions that are not weapon-length related, like casting a spell or drawing a potion or weapon? Flat modifier based on action type?

Siz was never a part I was particularly fond of. I get where they are going, emulating reach of larger things, but also sort of specifically implies that you are in melee combat.

Missle weapons and spells are not affected by SIZ, if ready they don't have an effect on Strike Rank, if not ready they add 5 points to Strike Rank to prep (in Strike Rank lower is better).

BTW if both combantants have the same Strike Rank DEX is compared to determine who goes first, if DEX is the same the attacks are simultaneous. Non-combat actions by non-engaged characters takes place in the Second Phase.

Villains and Vigilantes had an interesting system. IIRC you roll 1d10+Agility and that's the segment you go on (counting down). However, every 15 segments, you get another action, so if you rolled high enough, you could get more than one action before everyone else. Now that I think about it, it's a great approach for handling mooks.

Skyrealms of Jorune had a needlessly complex system for what it called advantage instead of initiative. What was unusual about this roll is that it was possible to roll zero actions for the round. And since defense was an action, even if you roll high enough to get an action, you might spend it defending if your attacker goes first. The system wasn't very fun and I doubt it was more realistic overall, but it introduced some real concepts that aren't often represented in an initiative roll.

I am developing an affection for PbtA games that don't have strict initiative rules. Initiative is one of the main things that makes combat distinct from non-combat in most RPGs; it reminds me of old computer RPGs where a fight would cause a special tactical screen to pop up that deals with space and time in a much stricter fashion. I've never actually played any of those games, but I'd be willing to give it a spin, and I can see how that kind of initiative could work.

King Arthur Pendragon has no initiative system. The contested attack rolls determines who strikes each turn - the winner applies the damage, the loser soaks it up.
Fighting Fantasy works like this, too; everyone in a melee rolls, winner inflicts damage. I don't think it's ever quite handled ranged attacks that well, although archer vs archer would work fine.

SLA Industries has 5 phases in a combat round, and depending on your Dex score, you'll got in at least one and maybe more of them. With a Dex of 13, I get five actions every combat round, and yes this is a little bit broken.

My Microlite 40kRPG game has Initiative as a pool of points based on your combat skills; highest Initiative goes first, count down, all very conventional. However it's also ablative hit points, so as you take damage, you'll lose Initiative; this represents suppression and keeping your head down under fire. Once you're out of Initiative, damage starts hitting you. It recovers instantly outside of combat, and you can also spend actions on taking a breather to restore it for the next round.

There's another reason I usually don't care for complex initiative systems in RPGs: they never felt verossimile to me. I've practiced some martial arts in real life, played sports like football and basketball where I saw my share of "battles", and played a bunch of electronic war simulations from Total Wars to Hearts of Iron, and I don't believe acting first, or more times, reflects what initiative is really about in real life. So, abstraction for abstraction, gimme the one that's faster and/or more fun.

Last edited:
There's another reason I usually don't care for complex initiative systems in RPGs: they never felt verossimile to me. I've practiced some martial arts in real life, played sports like football and basketball where I saw my share of "battles", and played a bunch of electronic war simulations from Total Wars to Hearts of Iron, and I don't believe acting first, or more times, reflects what initiative is really about in real life. So, abstraction for abstraction, gimme the one that's faster and/or more fun.
In good games initiative isn't necessarily acting first either.:wink:

In good games initiative isn't necessarily acting first either.:wink:
Examples? I don't remember seeing initiative rules in RPGs that are not related to "who goes first", and would be glad to know games that do it differently.

I don't believe acting first, or more times, reflects what initiative is really about in real life.
A good number of initiative systems can more accurately be said to give the winner of initiative the ability to pick their moment to act, and given the situation it can be smarter to wait. Just to toss out one of many possible examples: In Street Fighter you might have a maneuver (let's say a Dragon Punch) that has a Speed of 5. Your opponent is 2 hexes away and has a Speed of 3 and you know he is a grappler. You may choose to let him go first, and sure enough he was attempting a Pile Driver and steps forward 1 hex (his whole movement when executing a Pile Driver). Because grabs require you to be in your opponent's hex to execute them, you can now Dragon Punch this guy with no threat that he'll be able to grab you in return (he can't move far enough to get in on you). If instead you had gone first, moved up to the person and Dragon Punched them, if they survived the Dragon Punch they could then step into your hex and grab you.

I only choose this example because I played a fun session of it last weekend. :-)

An initiative system adds turn structure for a rules system, that is all.
I think if you want to have everyone more or less act on the same playing field, then a roll highest and go first system works great, but if you want to have people like The Flash or the Six Million Dollar Man alongside normal folks, you will need to get out a more complex initiative system to accommodate them.
So, really, it comes down to designing a system to match your world, imo.

I understand Exalted 3E has a very unusual initiative system wherein you gain initiative by successfully attacking and lose initiative by taking a beating, and the only way to do actual damage against an enemy is to essentially beat them over the head with your initiative. It all sounds a little overworked to me, which is one of the reasons why I have never mustered the enthusiasm to fork out money for the Exalted 3E core - which in turn means that anything I say on the subject needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because it's all second-hand information.

My system works with a super powers in moderation approach. I have magic and technology working side by side, and different systems like vehicle combat, hacking, and spirit combat all using the same initiative.
this has brought out a necessity for making a more complex system. My goal then was to make it increasingly simple. So far, what i have is this...

You roll initiative and highest declares last, but acts first.
Each character gets to potentially have multiple passes in a round (The Flash) but everyone gets to go in the first pass. Passes cap at 4 and are a serious character investment to achieve.
Everyone gets Action points. These points can be used to give better abilities (Like Power attack or multiple attacks) or saved as interrupts such as counter spells, dodges, and parries.
Interrupts are declared and used in order with the defender getting theirs in first. (This works similar to Magic the Gathering Interrupts).

All in all, I am aiming for a tactical game that is not necessarily for beginners. It accommodates super speed but does not skew everything in favor of it as the one true path. Essentially, you may be able to take 4 actions against someone, but that someone has options too. Each action you take against them, could potentially land you with a counterattack from a stronger foe (Armour of thorns and flame aura, for example, awards a free interrupt attack against all attackers for the round.) So it really does come down to tactics. I have also separated multiple actions from Action points and rolling highest. While if you are The Flash, you have a great chance of going first, it is not guaranteed, nor is it a given that you will have the most Action Points. A Tank like character may stack them from abilities for interrupts, for example.

This whole thing makes the declaration phase a mini combat of it's own, but resolution plays out quickly. Its a trade off for a tactical game, imo, and Initiative is a huge part of the combat system, everything else is almost secondary because of it.

A good number of initiative systems can more accurately be said to give the winner of initiative the ability to pick their moment to act, and given the situation it can be smarter to wait.
Oh sure I'm aware of that (in RQ you could choose to act on a later strike rank, for eg), but it doesn't really change things in my view. I think "order of actions" as a concept overall translates poorly what happens in a real conflict. It sure may be a fun mini-game though, if you're into that. YMMV of course. ;)

Last edited:
Games with interesting countermoves can be fun. The first edition of Conspiracy X allowed you to design and buy hand-to-hand combos for your character. You could have something like Punch-Kick, Grab-Head Butt-Kick. If you succeeded in the first move in a combo, you could immediately attempt the next move. You could also have a combo that started with a defense, like Block-Punch-Grab. If they other guy won initiative and you blocked his attack, you could carry out the rest of the combo on his turn. It was pretty fun.

Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate has lots of countermoves that characters can learn. Most of them are purely defensive, but they vary in the kind of attacks they are best against. One you get into the higher Qi ranks, you get ones that allow you to respond with some kind of attack if your defense succeeds.

I like how these add a more unpredictable back-and-forth to combat. It also adds a layer of risk to attacking. In Wandering Heroes, if some enemy has a devastating counterattack, being the first guy to attack carries some risk beyond missing.

On a related note, I always liked how Deadlands had Coordination and Quickness as separate stats. You could have a high Quickness, low Coordination character who always shot first but rarely hit. You could have a low Quickness, High Coordination character who definitely wasn't the fastest draw, but had a deft hand for cracking safes.

I've never used, but am intrigued by, one of the BRP BGB's initiative systems, which is combined with declared actions. The "winner" of initiative goes first, but declares his/her action last. This gives the "fastest" character more info about the other characters' actions before they decide what they want to do. Anyone tried this sort of thing? Did it work?

I've never used, but am intrigued by, one of the BRP BGB's initiative systems, which is combined with declared actions. The "winner" of initiative goes first, but declares his/her action last. This gives the "fastest" character more info about the other characters' actions before they decide what they want to do. Anyone tried this sort of thing? Did it work?
Yeah, a number of systems work that way. It's an interesting approach. It can take a little more time to have everyone declare and then have everyone act. There is also the issue of people wasting actions because circumstances changed. It does give interesting results though, and having declare everything at the beginning of the round cuts down on the feeling of "This player acts while everyone else is frozen, then this players acts..." Wasted or inappropriate actions will frustrate some players, but others will see it as enhancing the chaos and reality of battle.

It's something best used with systems where combat moves quickly, to balance the slow down and loss of actions.

Yeah, a number of systems work that way. It's an interesting approach. It can take a little more time to have everyone declare and then have everyone act. There is also the issue of people wasting actions because circumstances changed. It does give interesting results though, and having declare everything at the beginning of the round cuts down on the feeling of "This player acts while everyone else is frozen, then this players acts..." Wasted or inappropriate actions will frustrate some players, but others will see it as enhancing the chaos and reality of battle.

It's something best used with systems where combat moves quickly, to balance the slow down and loss of actions.
Adding to this post, I wanted to check my books to confirm, but Reign has a declaration phase. It's not done in reverse Initiative order, but with players declaring based on their Sense stat, lowest first.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back