Tips for running a beginner D&D 5e game at LFGS

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I totally get that.

In this case the village will have a finite cast of NPCs (innkeeper, blacksmith etc...) who will be fleshed out and available for roleplaying purposes. This is easier for me to handle rather than switching up NPCs over mutiple locations over a larger world. Nevertheless, there will be bartering, haggling, manipulating, socializing with these people. I just get to focus on a smaller cast of characters to make them all feel more distinct and alive.

I really just want to get them to roll the dice, figure out how the game works within a constrained environment. Almost like a board game.

The constraints are purposeful in my case. A mega dungeon is easier fo rme to work with currently.
Yes, I think this is a good approach.

BTW Stonehell has the Kobold Market where you can buy & sell.

Well, let's burden you with unwanted NPCs to speed up your small-world building!

:grin: Halflings... you know you want to!

Pastoral Pleasantries
Most halflings live in small, peaceful communities with
large farms and well-kept groves. They rarely build
kingdoms of their own or even hold much land beyond
their quiet shires. They typically don’t recognize any sort
of halfling nobility or royalty, instead looking to family
elders to guide them. Families preserve their traditional
ways despite the rise and fall of empires.
(D&D Basic 5e PHB. p. 16.)

Sally Amplebottom, Pub House Publican (Owner & Hostess)
NG Stout Halfling Fighter
Background: Soldier, cavalry. Benefit - Military Rank
Personality - 5. stare down a hellhound w/o flinching, Ideal - 5. Live & Let Live,
Bond - 6. Fight for those who can't fight, Flaw - 6. finds it hard to admit fault.
Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics (BK), Intimidation (BK), Insight.
Tools: Dice set w/ cups, Vehicle (land) (:heart: a Shetland pony! :kiss:)
Features: Lucky, Brave, Nimble, Stout Resilience, Fighting Style -- Protection, Second Wind
Quickstart: a) chainmail, a) martial weapon (lance) & shield, b) two hand axes, b) explorer's pack.

Bio: Brassy lass who keeps good cheer and good order in her pub. Her drinks tray is a flat round shield in case she needs to protect others from any rowdy patrons (Dons quickly). Hasn't married yet, still looking. Allows her retired war pony to lounge in her pub; it likes to finish 'broken soldiers' (abandoned pints).

Quick converting OSR stat blocks to 5e equivalent

There’s the long way of doing this: look up the existing stat block in the 5e Monster Manual.

Then there’s the short way, which I’d rather use: find the equivalent quick stat block as per the “Creating Quick Monster Stats” table on pg. 274 of the 5e DMG.

Is it as simple as “OSR HD = 5e CR”?

Could be if you want it to be. Haven't actually checked any monsters, however.

Is it as simple as “OSR HD = 5e CR”?

Kobold HD 1/2 > CR 1/8
Goblin HD 1-1 > CR 1/4
Orc HD 1 > CR 1/2
Hobgoblin HD 1+1 > CR 1/2
Gnoll HD 2 > CR 1/2
Bugbear HD 3+1 > CR 1
Ogre HD 4+1 > CR 2
Troll HD 6+6 (so really 7) > CR 5
Hill Giant HD 8+ > CR 5
Type VI Demon HD 8+8 (so really 10) > CR 20 - but I think these were deliberately boosted.

Update.
I’ve decided to ditch 5e. Will be using BX (Old School Essentials) with some of the lethality sanded off).

The elevator pitch will be something like “learn how to play D&D in it’s classic form, the style that inspired so many books, comics, board games and video games”.

Ascending AC and a few minor tweaks from the Carcass Crawler zines. Plus a boost to the fighter from Shadowdark.

The structure will be this:

System: Old School Essentials (with a few tweaks featured in issues of Carcass Crawler)

Megadungeon: Stonehell (but just referred to as The Labyrinth). Very Diablo 1 like structure (small village with entrance to dungeon).

Players can drop in or drop out. I'll have a pile of pre-gens (probably just the ones from Necrotic Gnome which have cool art). The only consistency will be the dungeon itself (ie, cleared out rooms will be tracked, however there are OSE rules for re-stocking over time so that new players can still find stuff and have fun).

Mapping will be collaborate, with a large sheets of paper. Not an accurate grid (unless someone wants to do that for themselves). The map can be used, referenced and modified by future players.

I made the switch from 5e to OSE because the latest Carcass Crawler features decent rules to cover modern things like Dragonborn and Tieflings.

Goal is to introduce the basics of roleplaying while promoting teamwork and problem solving. OSE for simpler rules to avoid overwhelming players with all the stuff in 5e D&D.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back