The Tolkien Mega-Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A blog post by the designer of Under Hill, By Water on Tolkienish rpgs.

Pipedrean and Under Hill, By Water sound cool and different in particular.

ICE's Lord of the Rings Adventure game is this weird mix of a super brilliant little game system and horrible, condescending, crap instructional writing. The system itself is super solid though, character creation amounts to pick a template and improve a skill or two. It's 2d6 + bonus check a chart. There's a chart for each skill with all the factors and modifiers listed. I don't think there were more than a dozen skills. One of my great regrets is that I neve got the couple adventure game books ICE did using the same system, they were supposedly brilliant.

I mean, I technically have the money...

1650533369494.png

... but at £1000.00 would I ever want to handle/read it!!!

Ooo, it's pretty, no doubt, but I already have a leatherbound edition with Alan Lee Illustrations and what I consider the ultimate version, featuring illustrations by Tolkien himself along with recreations of his hand drawn maps, lithographs of the pages from Book of Mazarbul that Tolkien originally wanted to include in the Fellowship but it was deemed too expensive by his publishers at that time, and a recreation of The King's Letter that was originally intended to be included in the index:

ExU1JH1XEAM4zbS.jpg

IMO, this is the closest we've come to Tolkien's personal vision for the presentation of the LOTR.

Ooo, it's pretty, no doubt, but I already have a leatherbound edition with Alan Lee Illustrations and what I consider the ultimate version, featuring illustrations by Tolkien himself along with recreations of his hand drawn maps, lithographs of the pages from Book of Mazarbul that Tolkien originally wanted to include in the Fellowship but it was deemed too expensive by his publishers at that time, and a recreation of The King's Letter that was originally intended to be included in the index:

IMO, this is the closest we've come to Tolkien's personal vision for the presentation of the LOTR.

Yeah, I have that one too and this one:

1650542521979.png

Both are lovely. There really is no 'need' for me to buy the above and I actually feel a little bad I'm even considering it knowing how other people are struggling just to pay gas and electricity bills.

EDIT: So, yeah. Not going to bother buying it!

Last edited:
I've never really gone for these special editions of books although they are lovely. I tend to beat up my books a fair bit carting them with me everywhere, reading while eating, in the tub, etc.

Although I do have a few first editions I paid more than usual for.

It was a little obviously based on the Jackson movie in spots, but I liked it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back