Top Ten Favourite Published Adventures/Modules

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I never know whether to laugh or be shocked when I see this attitude...:grin:

:thumbsup:

The D&D book with the stats for the gods agrees with you:tongue:.
Or, as you said, "if you have a boat" (and your Warhammer Referee doesn't burn it)...go right ahead (and through:skeleton:)!

And I just realized that I don't actually have 10 adventures I can recommend. At most, I can get to about six, and two or three of those are Delta Green, one is Monster Island, one is Knight's Tale for Dragon Warriors, and the rest is Traveller.
I wonder what this says about me. Other than "has not been using adventures in the last couple of decades, so is kinda new to the field" (but OTOH, my interest is growing:shade:).
I’m working on my list and right now 4 out of the 10 is Delta Green. It’s just that the Delta Green stuff is so good.

sdmsec

Reaction score
It's very like Rendezvous with Rama in feel, although the ship isn't as alien as Rama. There are so many versions at this point that there are a few that include stuff like that, but in most versions no nothing really heightens the tension that much. At some point the solar collectors begin to retract to prepare for jump but the PCs would probably know enough at that point to know it's not really threatening.

Reading up on New Orleans historically is useful, although the book explains the various parts of the city well, it's more to get examples of food etc. Beyond that some reading on Vodou. Deadlands is a fairly cheesy setting, not a historically serious one, so it's handy to bring in the feel from stuff like Valiant Comics Shadowman, the original more than the one based on the game. Also the high society social clubs are a big part of the setting, so check out how they were laid out historically. Any familiarity with film Noir as well. Either watching the movies or reading the odd thriller.

Soundscapes from New Orleans are pretty useful as well, especially including wind chimes in certain parts of the city. Instrumental Jazz and Blues stuff is great for clubs. Any film Noir soundtracks. Grim Fandango's soundtrack has a nice vibe.

Things I drew from include: Boardwalk Empire, Grim Fandango, Shadowman, Lovecraft Country, several Noir films, Cowboy Bebop (for feel and music not the SciFi), some old Vodou fiction and even the Princess and the Frog as a base for two NPCs and some music.
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
p.s. I can't believe I hadn't even been thinking about the rich musical cultures of New Orleans. I'll definitely have to include some dixieland band marching down the streets for s funeral!

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
IV. Wings of the Valkyrie (Champions)
View attachment 38066

A Time-Travel adventure that presents a classic moral dilemma for the players, questioning the very notion of what it means to be a Superhero
Tristram do you happen to know which version of Champions Wings of the Valkyrie is far? I am searching of Heroe Game's website but theres a LOT of stuff there. Its not on DriveThruRPG... Maybe I should try Ebay...

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Tristram do you happen to know which version of Champions Wings of the Valkyrie is far? I am searching of Heroe Game's website but theres a LOT of stuff there. Its not on DriveThruRPG... Maybe I should try Ebay...

Hm, it doesn't specify , but it was published in 1987, so I'm guessing 3rd edition?

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
bumping this to see if we can get any more lists from folks who missed the thread the first time around

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've run more than a couple published adventures in the entire 42 years I've been gaming.

Let me see:

Dare Devils Adventures 1 from the boxed set. More noir than pulp and the system's nothing special but a good starting point for doing pulp.

in Search of The Unknown

Keep On The Borderlands

The Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying Game 1e Tombs of Geseridi (do you like vampires? this dungeon has vampires!) Arms of Nagash Tor, more for the detail on Timero Kingdom but a decently set up situation in point form.

GURPS Harkwood, a medieval tournament with treachery and half a dozen potential villains.

GURPS Fantasy Adventures Fighters Of the Purple Rage (the top contenders of the grand elimination gladiatorial event escape into the sewers, go get them), Mordag's Little Finger (so the wizard's staff is the finger bone of a giant vampire who wants it back)

V&V Crisis at Crusader Citadel with its nicely set up heroes and villains with relationships and motives and everything, a really good example of how it's done.

The DNA DOA Dave Arenson's Shadowrun dungeon crawl.

I've at least had a go at running all of those except Fighters of the Purple Rage and Mordag's Little Finger. I don't think we ever got through any of them. Theres others like Traveller's Exit Visa and Shadows which I've run but wouldn't put in any kind of top ten list. Really, I most run things off the cuff with homebrewed material.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
Top ten huh? I'm going to have to give this some thought.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
OK, I have my list...

Keep on the Borderlands – B2

Temple of Elemental Evil – T1-4

Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh – U1

Scenic Dunnsmouth (LotFP)

Death, Frost, Doom (LotFP)

Stygian Library – OSR – Emmy Allen

Fever Dreaming Marlinko – LL – Chris Kutalik

Impossible Landscapes – Delta Green - Dennis Detwiller

The Between Season One – Jason Cordova

Trilemma Adventures Compendium Volume One – Michael Prescott

PrivateEye

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in no especial order

1. Masks of Nyarlathotep. We played it with characters from Adventures into Darkness (Nedor superheroes with a Lovecraftian twist) and it was great
  2. Halls of Tizun Thane from the early days of White Dwarf. Draws heavily from the Conan novella Red Nails
  3. Ravenloft (the original version)
  4. The Lichway (also early White Dwarf and by the same author as Tizun Thane - the late Albie Fiore)
  5. NEO in the 25th Century for the Buck Rogers rpg by TSR. Cheesy but fun - I especially liked the way the PCs don't really know why everyone is after them for much of the adventure, and the whacky professor they are initially working for, whose theories of alien presence in the solar system is all bullshit
  6. The Traveller Adventure. A bit railroad-y, but great
  7. Strikeback (from White Dwarf, for the Golden Heroes Superhero rpg). Time travel, Dracula, Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes, Captain Nemo and a monstrous machine menace. Fabulous stuff
  8. Queen Victoria and the Holy Grail (also for Golden Heroes). Queen Victoria, the Holy Grail, Morgan le Fay and a gateway to hell...
  9. B6 - The Veiled Society. Not especially easy to read and grasp in parts, but a lovely sword and sorcery vibe and a good feel for a city wracked by intrigue and secrets
  10. Black Claws, from the Daredevils box set by FGU. The only pulp adventure I've run multiple times. It's a bit problematic in parts but is easily rewritten, and really feels like the plot of an old Doc Savage novel

PolarBlues

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can come up with 10. There are a couple of more recent adventures that have impressed me in terms of having a strong story line without being linear while at the same time not being excessively wordy or overburdened by unneccessary detail or padding.

Sins of the Past (ICONS). It's short, cheap but it delivers an authentic-feeling superhero comicbook story without railroading the players into a specifc path. It's got a large cast of unique supervillains (something most supers adventures skimp on) but above it's got heart.

They Rode To Perdition (Owl Hoot Trail) This is the adventure that comes with Owl Hoot Trail, a D&D-inspired fantasy/western. It's small horror sandbox with different personal side stories that all converge neatly towards the end. Horror is not really a genre I normally run, but this adventure made it easy.

Other than that, I don't know, most of the Pendragon adventures were generally really good.

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
7. Befallen (EverQuest)
View attachment 38251
But I actually liked EQ... I barely played the MMO (and that years later), but think the tabletop game is underappreciated.
While everyone was making craphouse versions of their settings under the D20 license, the EverQuest RPG used the looser OGL to give a masterclass on changing 3e to make it fit a setting. Flush all the Races, Classes, and Spells, and redesign using the source material. Mongoose Conan did the same thing, which is why it's also one of the best versions of 3e.

Last edited:
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com